Official Boxing Thread

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Teo needs to hold out for $2mil+, $1.2 mil is way too low for a unification vs Loma, Shakur just got $700k vs a nobody for that 1st top rank bubble fight

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Teo needs to hold out for $2mil+, $1.2 mil is way too low for a unification vs Loma, Shakur just got $700k vs a nobody for that 1st top rank bubble fight

What exactly has Teo done in order to demand $2M?
This is what's wrong with today's boxing landscape.
If he wants to be great, he's gotta take the offer.
When you aren't the bigger star, you have to take a chance.
If he prevails, then he can demand whatever the hell he wants.
Teo hasn't defended his title one time.
After 4 defenses, Winky Wright unified with Sugar Shane for 750k.
After 5 defenses, Zab Judah unified with Kostya Tszyu for $1M.
After 6 defenses, Floyd unified with Corrales for $1.5M

As far a Shakur Stevenson...
He's being built as the good-looking American Olympic babyface star.
They're always paid more for the most part.
He's on a similar marketing trajectory with SRL and Oscar.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Well I'm going off the talks that before the shutdown when the fight was already almost signed the numbers were supposed to be around $5 mil for Loma and $3 mil for Teo but that was going to be a likely MSG sell out gate, without that gate revenue I get that both sides have to take a cut and I can see cutting down to $2 mil but $1.2 mil is too much of a cut imo and I wouldn't take it if i was his manager. Winky, Zab, Floyd situations the market were also in diff markets so it's not always easy to just make comparisons like that also if you adjust for inflation those purses are worth more in today's dollars.

The way they've been marketing Shakur been all over the place from the diff stakeholders in his brand. ESPN just tries to run with the narrative of him having better defense than Floyd constantly showing us stats of how little they each get hit from opps while ignoring the level of those opps for the stats. Arum and Ward are trying to build him as a black american star without going heel which the last 1 was SRL. Then u got J Prince having him sit next to him in a video talking about they got NBA Youngboy's rolls royce and mclaren key fobs and rolls royce umbrellas on some indirect extortion shit so that'd be more building him up the heel route

What exactly has Teo done in order to demand $2M?
This is what's wrong with today's boxing landscape.
If he wants to be great, he's gotta take the offer.
When you aren't the bigger star, you have to take a chance.
If he prevails, then he can demand whatever the hell he wants.
Teo hasn't defended his title one time.
After 4 defenses, Winky Wright unified with Sugar Shane for 750k.
After 5 defenses, Zab Judah unified with Kostya Tszyu for $1M.
After 6 defenses, Floyd unified with Corrales for $1.5M

As far a Shakur Stevenson...
He's being built as the good-looking American Olympic babyface star.
They're always paid more for the most part.
He's on a similar marketing trajectory with SRL and Oscar.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Well I'm going off the talks that before the shutdown when the fight was already almost signed the numbers were supposed to be around $5 mil for Loma and $3 mil for Teo but that was going to be a likely MSG sell out gate, without that gate revenue I get that both sides have to take a cut and I can see cutting down to $2 mil but $1.2 mil is too much of a cut imo and I wouldn't take it if i was his manager. Winky, Zab, Floyd situations the market were also in diff markets so it's not always easy to just make comparisons like that also if you adjust for inflation those purses are worth more in today's dollars.
But still....they all defended their straps at least 4 times before they demanded those kind of purses.
They put in the work.
Fighters today want big money while doing less work.
It doesn’t work that way.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
It's about the market, as Teo's manager i'm going to be looking at what the other 3 of the new fab 4 of his gen have been getting. Haney's been getting $1mil per fight against pies, Shakur just got $700k against a pie in the bubble, Ryan Garcia is also unhappy b/c Golden Boy been trying to get him to fight for $250-300k range and he wants at least $1mil seeing what Haney and Shakur been getting, that's why the only way the Ryan vs Campbell fight happens is if Ryan getting at least $1mil and that's not as big as this fight. This is a unification vs Loma who's considered #1 p4p by some and top 3 p4p at the very least imo. Teo is undefeated coming off a dominant 2nd rd KO w against Commey who's better than anybody on the other 3's resume so far. I'm telling Arum if Teo can actually stop Loma in this fight you got a new PPV level star in your stable, put up the $ and give us at least $2 mil. I'm not even the biggest Teo fan personally but I do see how he has a path to being a top American star

But still....they all defended their straps at least 4 times before they demanded those kind of purses.
They put in the work.
Fighters today want big money while doing less work.
It doesn’t work that way.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It's about the market, as Teo's manager i'm going to be looking at what the other 3 of the new fab 4 of his gen have been getting. Haney's been getting $1mil per fight against pies, Shakur just got $700k against a pie in the bubble, Ryan Garcia is also unhappy b/c Golden Boy been trying to get him to fight for $250-300k range and he wants at least $1mil seeing what Haney and Shakur been getting, that's why the only way the Ryan vs Campbell fight happens is if Ryan getting at least $1mil and that's not as big as this fight. This is a unification vs Loma who's considered #1 p4p by some and top 3 p4p at the very least imo. Teo is undefeated coming off a dominant 2nd rd KO w against Commey who's better than anybody on the other 3's resume so far. I'm telling Arum if Teo can actually stop Loma in this fight you got a new PPV level star in your stable, put up the $ and give us at least $2 mil. I'm not even the biggest Teo fan personally but I do see how he has a path to being a top American star
To your point.....
The market is extremely fucked up when guys are making that much money for doing nothing.
All Ryan Garcia does is make instagram and Tik Tok videos.
Haney hasn't done much either.
They're getting paid on potential instead of actual production.
The pay-scale needs to be re-structured.
Just like the NFL re-structured the rookie payscale after Jamacus Russell made a kings ransom and did absolutely nothing.
But since there's no real oversight in boxing, that'll probably never happen.
But these exorbitant purses are providing zero incentive for the top guys to fight each other.
Why fight a top guy, when you can fight Glass Joe for the same purse?

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
The market is the market tho, its a good thing for these boxers to get paid well due to there being multiple promoters and networks/platforms so the athletes won't be exploited the way Dana White and Vince Mcmahon etc. do to their talent since there isn't that kind of competition for their businesses. There were 60 $1mil+ purses in 2019 for just U.S broadcast boxing matches, now the majority of purses that are at least $1mil are on U.S broadcast but $1 mil just isn't that much of a purse for this level of a unification match.

To your point.....
The market is extremely fucked up when guys are making that much money for doing nothing.
Just like the NFL re-structured the rookie payscale after Jamacus Russell made a kings ransom and did absolutely nothing.
But these exorbitant purses are providing zero incentive for the top guys to fight each other.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To your point.....
The market is the market tho, its a good thing for these boxers to get paid well due to there being multiple promoters and networks/platforms so the athletes won't be exploited the way Dana White and Vince Mcmahon etc. do to their talent since there isn't that kind of competition for their businesses. There were 60 $1mil+ purses in 2019 for just U.S broadcast boxing matches, now the majority of purses that are at least $1mil are on U.S broadcast but $1 mil just isn't that much of a purse for this level of a unification match.

Eddie Hearn is fucking up the market by overpaying the fighter's on DAZN, the way he's dropping money i just don't see that structure sustainable. But yes these young dudes want the $ without putting in the work first. If Teo is so confident then he should step up and make himself a star by beating loma which won't be easy in my eyes.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
The only real difference I see between Morrell and Berlanga is punching power, which Berlanga hits much harder than Morrell

Ballatician

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To your point.....

You're right about the market. Haney, Shakur, Loma, Davis and Teo should all be fighting each other, but they all make good money fighting bums. Canelo can fight a bum and get $40 million easily.

I haven’t bought a boxing PPV in a minute, but I buy UFC regularly. UFC makes the matchups the fans want to see....

Ballatician

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We have a lot of great Black talent in boxing, but there market is small. Mayweather got over playing the heel, but he had to be undefeated. How many times has Haney called out Garcia? Haney has the more accomplished resume and belt. Haney knows Garcia will earn him 3xs more than fighting Davis or Shakur, despite those matches being the better fight. Loma has dismissed Haney as a small market fighter.

I wonder if there is a black marketing firm that has studied how to make Black boxers more appealing? There’s big money in figuring out this matrix.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
You speaking specifically on Black American boxers? Cause AJ is at the top right now but he's black brit. Even Dillian Whyte did 400-500k sky sports ppv vs Chisora and Parker. AB was the only 1 with potential to reach that Floyd level or higher and he was even better than Floyd in the playing heel part but not in the staying undefeated part of that plan. I think Haney should go with that plan as well and play the heel to Ryan's face, it can be the new Floyd vs Oscar situation again.

We have a lot of great Black talent in boxing, but there market is small. Mayweather got over playing the heel, but he had to be undefeated. How many times has Haney called out Garcia? Haney has the more accomplished resume and belt. Haney knows Garcia will earn him 3xs more than fighting Davis or Shakur, despite those matches being the better fight. Loma has dismissed Haney as a small market fighter.

I wonder if there is a black marketing firm that has studied how to make Black boxers more appealing? There’s big money in figuring out this matrix.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Jojo Diaz has become the 1st non european belt holder to sign to MTK Global, hope this means he'll do a fight across the pond soon

lets see if Rolly shows out this Sat, also we will finally see where Wallin falls in the HW division..if he wins decisively, then it goes a long way to making fury's win over him a little bit more legit

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I used to keep up with Michael Benson and Coppinger earlier but it wasnt until I realized they were more concerned about being “first” rather than “right” is when I stopped following them :smh:
Both of them are wrong more times than right.
They throw shit to the wall to see if it sticks.
Especially Coppinger.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Inoue vs Moloney was originally slated for Loma vs Lopez undercard but will now be a standalone Main Event if signed.