New Orleans's Second Line & Brass Band Thread

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Finally! I haven't been to the N.O., but I gots to get there once. I been keepin up on youtube with the Injuns and brass bands. Lets go get em!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a129W2v9E1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

I didn't experience the parades(long story), but I did ask the locals where to go, and they said Frenchman St. That place was a thousand times better than that horseshit Bourbon St tourist crap. I hate tourist places because they are just cash grabs, I want to be with the people that live and breath there, not some soccer mom from Kentucky.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
NEW ORLEANS Second Line - Divine Ladies Parade

Uploaded on May 27, 2009
Second Line, Divine Ladies Social Aid & Pleasure Club Parade, New Orleans, Stooges Brass Band

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Second line today started at 5pm

10979722_537208399753148_1099753463_n.jpg

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
[WM]https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpf1/outbound-distilleryimage0/t0.0-18/OBPTH/49859c9076da11e38b20124d02dddc8c_101.mp4[/WM]

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Second line season parade schedule 2016-2017

YAAAAASSS FAM!!! Second line season is NIGH!! And trust and believe, its going down like 4 fat heauxs!!! (and if that declaration hurt your feelings, don’t bother coming to one of our second lines -the assault to your senses will be more than you can bear sweetie…)

For the rest of y'all who need a hit to tie you over til Aug. 28, check out our second line Sunday swag in the video up top. More joy than the law allows. See y'all next weekend!

2016-2017 Second Line Schedule

*NOTE: SECOND LINE DATES & LOCATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANYTIME*

(more info below the jump!)

AUGUST 2016

8/28- Valley of The Silent Men/ 1st 2nd line of the season (UPTOWN)

SEPTEMBER 2016

9/4- NO PARADE SCHEDULED/Possible makeup date
9/11- Young Men Olympians {2 Hour Mini} (UPTOWN)
9/18- Good Fellas (UPTOWN)
9/25- Young Men Olympians {Regular 4 Hour} (UPTOWN)

OCTOBER 2016

10/2- Family Ties (DOWNTOWN)
10/9- Prince of Wales (UPTOWN)
10/15- {SATURDAY 2ND LINE} Black Men of Labor (DOWNTOWN)
10/16- Men of Class (UPTOWN)
10/23- Original 4 (UPTOWN)
10/30- Women of Class (UPTOWN)

NOVEMBER 2016

11/6- We Are 1 (UPTOWN)
11/13- Sudan (DOWNTOWN)
11/20- 9 Times & 9SL (DOWNTOWN)
11/27- Lady & Men Buckjumpers (UPTOWN)

DECEMBER 2016

12/4- Dumaine Street Gang (DOWNTOWN) & Westbank Steppers (WESTBANK)
12/11- New Generation (UPTOWN)
12/18- Big Nine (DOWNTOWN)
12/25- Lady & Men Rollers (UPTOWN)

JANUARY 2017

1/1- Perfect Gentlemen (UPTOWN)
1/8- Lady Jetsetters (UPTOWN)
1/15- Undefeated Divas (DOWNTOWN)
1/22- Ladies & Men of Unity (UPTOWN)
1/29- NO PARADE/ POSSIBLE MAKEUP DATE

FEBRUARY 2017

2/5- Treme Sidewalk Steppers (DOWNTOWN)
2/12- CTC Steppers (DOWNTOWN)
2/19- NO 2ND LINE (MARDI GRAS SEASON)
2/26- NO 2ND LINE (MARDI GRAS SEASON)

MARCH 2017

3/5- VIP Ladies & Kids (UPTOWN)
3/12- Keep N It Real (DOWNTOWN)
3/19- Single Men (UPTOWN) & SUPER SUNDAY UPTOWN
3/26- Revolution (DOWNTOWN)

APRIL 2017

4/2- New Orleans Bayou Steppers (DOWNTOWN)
4/9- Single Ladies (UPTOWN)
4/16- Pigeon Town Steppers (UPTOWN) {EASTER SUNDAY}
4/23- Old & Nu Style Fellas (DOWNTOWN)
4/30-NO 2ND LINE DUE TO JAZZ FEST

MAY 2017

5/7- NO 2ND LINE DUE TO JAZZ FEST
5/14- Original Big 7 (DOWNTOWN) {MOTHER’S DAY}
5/21- Divine Ladies (UPTOWN) & ZULU (DOWNTOWN)
5/28- Money Wasters (DOWNTOWN)

JUNE 2017

6/18- Perfect Gentlemen Father’s Day Parade (UPTOWN) 6/25- Uptown Swingers {THE LAST 2ND LINE OF THE SEASON}

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Fats Domino Second-Line parade set to ramble on Blue Wednesday (Nov. 1)
Doug MacCash
Updated on October 27, 2017 at 4:16 PM Posted on October 27, 2017 at 1:50 PM

'Thanks Fats,' Doug Page's tribute to the late rock 'n' roll great (Photo by Doug MacCash, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)
Trumpeter James Andrews will lead a second-line parade dedicated to the recently deceased Antoine "Fats" Domino, New Orleans premier rock and roll pioneer, on Wednesday (November 1) starting at 5 p.m. Domino died on October 24. He was 89.

The walking parade will form at Vaughan's Lounge, 4228 Dauphine St., in Bywater. Its final destination will be Domino's Lower 9th Ward home at 1208 Caffin Ave., which has become an impromptu street memorial.

The parade will head east on Dauphine Street and turn left on Poland Avenue. It will then turn right on St. Claude Avenue and cross the bridge. The procession will continue on St. Claude until it reaches Caffin Avenue where it will turn left for two blocks, where it will reach Domino's former home.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Second line for Fats Domino set for Nov. 1
Alex WoodwardOctober 27, 2017
img_0988.jpg

• PHOTO BY ALEX WOODWARD
  • Friends and fans left bouquets, notes, records, signs and candles outside Fats Domino's old house on Caffin Avenue Oct. 25. The artist died Oct. 24.

A second line honoring Fats Domino will begin in Bywater and head to his famously black-and-yellow house on Caffin Avenue. James Andrews and the Crescent City Allstars will lead musicians in the procession.

The second line meets at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 1 at Vaughan's Lounge (4229 Dauphine St.) and parades down St. Claude Avenue to Domino's former home at 1208 Caffin Ave., then it returns to Vaughan's for a memorial party and tribute performance.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
What's the future of the second line if they start giving them to people like Carrie Fisher.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2017/01/celebrity_second-lines_new_orl.html

Carrie Fisher parade sparks public conversation about second-lines, New Orleans culture

When Chewbacchus announced its intentions Dec. 27 to host a New Orleans second-line celebrating the life of Carrie Fisher, Martha Alguera didn't get it.

It's not that Alguera didn't understand the idea of the thing. After all, she and musician James Andrews organized a similar event just months earlier to celebrate Prince when he died. But Carrie Fisher? Alguera moved her thoughts to Facebook, where a battle was already raging about the Mardi Gras krewe's use of the term "second-line" to describe its intentions for Fisher's memorial.

"People later on were being really nasty about it, calling me a hypocrite because I was like, 'Really, Carrie Fisher needs a second-line?'" Alguera said of her post, which she eventually deleted. Alguera didn't see what tied Fisher, the activist and actress who played Princess Leia in "Star Wars," to New Orleans, although Prince's ties were something she felt keenly.

Within hours of announcing it, Chewbacchus knocked "second-line" from the event name, but the battle lines had been drawn.

"This debate was waiting to happen," said Ryan Ballard, co-founder of Chewbacchus. "It's about all the changes in New Orleans that have taken place over the last few years. Some good, some bad. It's the new New Orleans, post-Katrina world where the city is evolving."

For days, New Orleanians on social media pointed fingers at one another as they debated the appropriateness of the event. At the heart of it were questions of what defines New Orleans culture, who decides what it means and who gets to take part in some of the things that make it what it is?

"People in New Orleans take pleasure very seriously," wrote Matt Sakakeeny in an email. He is a music professor and researcher at Tulane University who authored "Roll With It: Brass Bands in the Streets of New Orleans" (2013, Duke University Press). "You'd think there'd be nothing simpler than joy, but the reaction to these parades shows how complicated it is."

Alguera and Andrews were not the first to plan a celebrity-related jazz funeral.

It's generally accepted that title goes to the 2009 second-line for Michael Jackson, which was led by the Revolution Social Aid & Pleasure Club, but it took several years for something similar to come along. And that was a David Bowie memorial.

The Preservation Hall Jazz Band, in conjunction with Arcade Fire's Win Butler and Regine Chassagne, who moved to New Orleans in recent years, organized an event for Jan. 16, 2016, in honor of Bowie. Initially calling it a "second-line," Preservation Hall creative director Ben Jaffe, who did not respond to text message requests to comment for this story, quickly reneged on the terminology and swapped in the words "memorial parade" after the event first went public on Facebook.

There seemed to be some concern over the cultural phrasing, and a handful of complaints bubbled to the surface.

But it still didn't stop various media publications -- including NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune -- from using "second-line." The event was wildly popular. Thousands of people filled the French Quarter and any hopes for a parade essentially vanished as attendees could barely move, and so it became something more like a block party.

Just a few months later, Prince died, and Alguera and Andrews got to work planning their own second-line, which is what they called their event.

"That was deliberate," Alguera said, "because it was going to be a second-line. ... We had Mardi Gras Indians and Baby Dolls and social aid and pleasure clubs that showed up on their own. ... To me, it felt authentic. That was the big thing."

- - -

Jazz funerals are rooted in West African traditions where the lives of the deceased are honored and celebrated through music. Those traditions came to New Orleans with enslaved blacks and evolved for more than 100 years to become what we see today in the city's streets.

"There's a certain significance in people who have been made to suffer creating joy while here on earth, and sending out the deceased with a fanfare that captures that," Sakekeeny wrote. "In a jazz funeral, all those aspects are present -- the people and the emotions -- and if you try to break them apart you will run afoul of people who hold their traditions very close to them.

"There is a long history of whites appropriating black culture and the jazz funeral is a kind of tipping point," he wrote.

Protecting traditions, then, is how New Orleans got to fighting itself on Facebook for several days over the holiday season.

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
Man I still gotta make to one live and in 3D, I don’t even know where to look to find, when’s the next one, I know I be missing out

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Man I still gotta make to one live and in 3D, I don’t even know where to look to find, when’s the next one, I know I be missing out

Normally you can catch one on Sundays
Im find the schedule and post it...

I haven't made it to one either but I'm be in a Caribbean event this weekend...so I'm bout to get a taste but not the taste....

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

The rest of the year...

November 2017
1 Fats Domino memorial, 5pm, Vaughan’s Lounge
4- Black Men of Labor 2:30pm starting at Sweet Lorraine’s Jazz Club
5 – We Are One
12 – Sudan
19 – Nine Times and 9SL
26 – Men & Lady Buckjumpers

December 2017
3 – Dumaine Street Gang / Westbank Steppers
10 – New Generation
17 – Big Nine
24 – Men and Lady Rollers

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
The rest of the year...

November 2017
1 Fats Domino memorial, 5pm, Vaughan’s Lounge
4- Black Men of Labor 2:30pm starting at Sweet Lorraine’s Jazz Club
5 – We Are One
12 – Sudan
19 – Nine Times and 9SL
26 – Men & Lady Buckjumpers

December 2017
3 – Dumaine Street Gang / Westbank Steppers
10 – New Generation
17 – Big Nine
24 – Men and Lady Rollers

:wepraise: thank you fam, I know they be going down on Sundays I’m gonna hit one up

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hard for people not from NOLA to understand. First of all, everyone can dance and most can play some kind of instrument, even white folks.

I was in a serious business meeting a few years ago one afternoon just inside the Quarter, but near Rampart. These dudes heard the trumpet start to blow and just automatically got up, filed out and boogied for about two blocks with a funeral from the church over near Armstrong Park. No explanation given or asked for. It was just our civic duty to join in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not from Nola but connected to this Immediately. I dont think any black person cannot feel that connection