New Orleans's Second Line & Brass Band Thread

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
New Orleans's Second Line & Brass Band Thread

IMG_5064.jpg

354d9652a7c111e3b148122f255355e2_8.jpg

"One thing about living in New Orleans is that parades just seem to pop up in my backyard, around the corner, or anywhere else out of nowhere. No flyers, no e-mails, nothing..."

Second lines celebrate a number of things funerals, weddings, store openings etc....

Uncle Lionel Baptiste Jazz Funeral

(FINAL) Jazz Funeral Procession for "Uncle" Lionel Batiste

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
I fucked with Slim

Soulja Slim Second Line Funeral

'I'll Fly Away' tribute to Soulja Slim:
Lady Buckjumpers 2012 second line parade

Coming Out The Door: Lady Buckjumpers 2012
Second line parade featuring TBC Brass Band

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Background info...

Second line is a tradition in brass band parades in New Orleans, Louisiana. The "main line" or "first line" is the main section of the parade, or the members of the actual club with the parading permit as well as the brass band. Those who follow the band just to enjoy the music are called the "second line." The second line's style of traditional dance, in which participants walk and sometimes twirl a parasol or handkerchief in the air, is called "second lining." It has been called "the quintessential New Orleans art form – a jazz funeral without a body."[1] Another significant difference from so called "jazz funerals" is second line parades usually lack the slow hymns and dirges played at funerals (although this is not a hard rule; some organizations may have the band play something solemn towards the start of the parade in memory of members deceased since their last parade).

Origins
Some scholars believe that second lining has its origins in traditional West African circle dances, where children formed a periphery circle outside the main circle of adult dancers. The dance was brought by slaves to New Orleans, where it became incorporated into processions, such as funerals, forcing the ring to straighten into a line.[2] Others note the similarity of the steps – exaggerated, loosely coordinated strutting – to dances performed in Congo Square by the enslaved given the day off on Sundays. These dances were officially banned for a time because they were deemed threatening to the white inhabitants of the city, and their resurgence in second lining suggests a similar celebration of individual freedom.[3]

After the Civil War, African and African-American traditions came to be merged with the military brass band parade traditions of the Europeans and white Americans. Insurance companies often refused to cover the recently freed formerly enslaved, so African Americans formed into Benevolent Societies and "Social Aid & Pleasure Clubs". Membership benefits usually included a brass band for funerals and at least one public parade with music a year, so such societies became important in establishing the second line traditions.

The Second Line – the magazine of the New Orleans jazz club, started in 1950 – took its name from the second lining tradition, which by that time included fans of jazz music, both black and white.[4]

Modern second lining
Second line parades are part of the cultural heritage of New Orleans.

The locally best known second line parades are held by clubs and benevolent organizations. Some have long histories; the oldest such organization still holding regular parades is the Young Men Olympian Junior Benevolent Association, founded in 1884. During the "second line season", lasting most of the year with breaks for holidays (including Mardi Gras) and the hottest part of summer, there are second line parades most Sundays.[5] Longer parades often make stops, commonly at bars, where refreshments have been arranged for members and those following the parade for fun can purchase something. There are often vendors selling soft drinks, beer, and street food, including barbecue and yaka mein.

Additional second lines, large or small, may be held for any event which people think merits hiring a parading band for such a style of celebration, including weddings and opening of businesses.

The historic predominantly African-American neighborhoods of Tremé and Central City are most strongly associated with the traditions, though second lines can often be seen in the Seventh Ward, Uptown, Marigny, Ninth Ward, Mid-City, and at least on occasion in most of the older neighborhoods of the city. The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival holds second lines at the Fair Grounds each day of the festival to give visitors a taste of this New Orleans tradition.

Historically, the parades were unofficial events and had an air of menace[citation needed]. The HBO series Treme introduced the general public to second line parades[citation needed], and journalists championed second line culture[citation needed]. After Hurricane Katrina, new residents of New Orleans embraced the second line tradition and it became part of the cultural economy of the city[citation needed]. Parade routes were publicized online inviting outsiders to participate.[6]

The overwhelming majority of second line events have been peaceful, but like any other public event where large numbers of people gather, violence has marred some parades in recent years, most notoriously in the 2013 Mother's Day Parade shooting.

Other places
Though originally a New Orleans phenomenon, in recent times the style has spread to other parts of the country[where?]. Still, second lining remains most common in the New Orleans area.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
They did that shit.... My people....much luv

They danced atop his casket (extended version):
Jaran 'Julio' Green's homegoing RIP

Last edited:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Mardi Gras Indians singing, dancing and celebrating the life of the late Big Chief Lionel Delpit.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
"If Yo Foot Aint Hurting Then Yo Feet Aint Working."
Single Ladies & Men annual Second Line.

Last edited:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

I Won't Bow Down, Don't Know How!!!

Mardi Gras Indians singing, dancing and practicing their chants and calls @ Handa Wanda's in New Orleans La. Sunday March 6, 2011

The Mardi Gras Indians named themselves after native Indians to pay them respect for their assistance in escaping the tyranny of slavery. It was often local Indians who accepted slaves into their society when they made a break for freedom around early to mid 1800s. They have never forgotten this support.The chants that you hear are usually stories of the struggles in the neighborhood, violence, poverty, celebration of life or death etc,,. These chants and calls are passed down from generation to generation.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: New Orleans's Second Line & Brass Band Thread

I dig the Second Lines, they had a few good ones in Houston:dance::dance:

47806_530564948258_5116467_n.jpg

46640_530565018118_7647233_n.jpg

44586_530565053048_4355016_n.jpg

46796_530565082988_8346390_n.jpg

46961_530565107938_5810713_n.jpg

44600_530565332488_5147547_n.jpg

46279_530565127898_2631052_n.jpg

nighttherapist

Potential Star
Registered

i want a second line funeral when i go, no matter where i am in the country

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Re: ������New Orleans's Second Line & Brass Band Thread����

i want a second line funeral when i go, no matter where i am in the country

You better second line!
Jazz funeral in New Orleans for Juanita Brooks

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
Hard for people not from NOLA to understand. First of all, everyone can dance and most can play some kind of instrument, even white folks.

I was in a serious business meeting a few years ago one afternoon just inside the Quarter, but near Rampart. These dudes heard the trumpet start to blow and just automatically got up, filed out and boogied for about two blocks with a funeral from the church over near Armstrong Park. No explanation given or asked for. It was just our civic duty to join in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Hard for people not from NOLA to understand. First of all, everyone can dance and most can play some kind of instrument, even white folks.

I was in a serious business meeting a few years ago one afternoon just inside the Quarter, but near Rampart. These dudes heard the trumpet start to blow and just automatically got up, filed out and boogied for about two blocks with a funeral from the church over near Armstrong Park. No explanation given or asked for. It was just our civic duty to join in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That had to be one of the coolest "what-the-fuck" moments ever!!!

This chant has grabbed a hold of me and haven't let go!!!
I've even put my 4yr old daughter onto it....

Red Hawk Mardi Gras Indians "Shoo Fly Don't Bother Me"

blkking1123

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I lived in NOLA for years in undergraduate school and loved every moment. People who only visit only get a piece of the flavor of city.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
I lived in NOLA for years in undergraduate school and loved every moment. People who only visit only get a piece of the flavor of city.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

That's what's up, I was cruising thru the city earlier heading to the West Bank. The old head I was with, said he kno folks that never been there(older people 50+), I said "I know a shitload of people that's scared of the city"....

(Another "Shoo Fly Don't Bother Me" chant)
Big Chief Darryl Montana singing his chants
after the funeral of Big Queen Barbara!!!!

lowlite

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Finally! I haven't been to the N.O., but I gots to get there once. I been keepin up on youtube with the Injuns and brass bands. Lets go get em!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a129W2v9E1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Looks like a younger band group

New Orleans Brass Band on Frenchmen Street

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Recorded pretty good to say it had that many folks out there

Treme Sidewalk Steppers Second Line 2014

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

New Orleans March 2014 - When The Saints go marching in

New Orleans March 2014 - The House of The Rising Sun -

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor

New Orleans March 2014 - When The Saints go marching in

New Orleans March 2014 - The House of The Rising Sun -

:yes::yes::yes: watched them get down during this yr's french qtr fest.

she is UNBELIEVABLE on that clarinet... a pure musical genius.

Majik

Star
Registered
Thanks for this man :dance::dance::dance: :cheers::cheers::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo: Damn i miss home and i just went there last month. Aint nothin like a second line. I can't wait to go back again in october

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
:yes::yes::yes: watched them get down during this yr's french qtr fest.

she is UNBELIEVABLE on that clarinet... a pure musical genius.
Yea Max that Ms Doreen, she gets down!!!

Doreen Ketchens SUMMERTIME 2014

Last edited:

Quinlan Vos

Potential Star
Registered

the place of my birth, and you are right, music is in my gene, my moms played three instrument my nephews have went on to play at HBCU cross America and they grew up in Detroit. my little girl plays the piano and my son plays the trumpet. I play the drums and never had a lesson. its a gift, plain and simple......

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Treme Sidewalk Steppers Second Line 2014(coming out Treme center)

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

New Orleans Jazz Funeral for Big Queen Chief Barbara of the Yellow Jackets Indian tribe.

Trapstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
great thread... I just found out what a "Second Line " was years back.

I always wondered what a "Second Line" was, when listening to the old "Hot Boys" album...:yes:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
great thread... I just found out what a "Second Line " was years back.

I always wondered what a "Second Line" was, when listening to the old "Hot Boys" album...:yes:
Man I'm bout to check for one tomorrow, heard they have them every Sunday.

Them sundresses are sticking

French Quarter Fest 2014 Part 1 (New Creations Band)

French Quarter Fest 2014 Part 2 (New Creations Band)

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What is the history behind and meaning of "second Line" ? Why is it a second,what does second signify?

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
The second is normally the onlookers who decided to march with the club and band...

First line(in a sense)
Club
Band

Followed by the second liners
Spectators, folks dancing