NBA Season is Returning This Year!!!!!!!

Lower9Nupe

Rising Star
Registered
I was a phi slamma fan and Akeem brought a lot of innovation to the position but the best ever...:lol:

I'm going to say this and I KNOW a lot of folks will take exception to it. I like Wilt but let's get serious for just a second. That finger roll shit would not go over well with Hakeem, Pat or Shaq. His brute force and size would NOT be enough to stop them. Why? Shaq in his prime was a physical anomaly. The only way to beat Shaq or even compete against that kind of size and strength is to take him away from the basket which Wilt would struggle to do. This is my opinion of course. Hakeem? We saw what he did against Shaq. His footwork alone would leave Wilt confused as fuck. Speed. Size and finesse. Hakeem is probably THE most underrated Center ever. Ewing? We dis this guy and forget about what he was and what he did. As Black men we cheered his ass, rightfully so, at Georgetown. He went on to have a HOF career and let's be honest. He was a legitimate big man who could actually SHOOT the ball. Dude was more than just big. The ONLY reason we don't sing his praises is because he had the MISFORTUNE of coming up in the Jordan era. A LOT of guys, who were great, are reduced to second-tier status because of THAT. It isn't fair but it is what it is. Wilt? Going to have to take a pass on his "greatest" status.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That wast the time, the place or the words to get him motivated. I do believe that’s what Shaq was trying to do but that wasn’t the way to do it.
I disagree about the words and the time. The place maybe it would ve been better behind closed doors if Shaq knows him like that.

Lower9Nupe

Rising Star
Registered
The 90's era players half of them didnt know who those guys were. Barkley has even admitted he didnt grow up watching the NBA nor was he familiar with most HOFers til he got to the league. Games were not televised and there was no media infastructure to promote the generations before them so they didnt even do the shit they demand of todays players. Even today, you dont see the Jordans, Barkleys, Shaqs, etc promote the pioneers, they only promote the guys from their era and pretend they are the be all end all.

That's not true. Jordan has always talked about players like Oscar, Connie, etc. Not so much about the other guys.

Lower9Nupe

Rising Star
Registered
That game last night was something else.
Yelled at his teammate and got ejected
but look up the records it set. I couldn't even finish the game--- not because of calls going either way, but because the game wasn't going 30 seconds without a whistle on either side
unwatchable

I'm going to send the NBA a letter because I'm petty as fuck. I will say exactly what you're saying. I turned that shit off EARLY because of the excessibe calls. Nobody wants to see the refs. They better get that shit fixe soon.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
That's not true. Jordan has always talked about players like Oscar, Connie, etc. Not so much about the other guys.

Jordan barely promotes the pioneeers..Link me to a clip where he speaks at length about Kareem or Wilt. If he did his stans like alexw wouldnt desecrate them so quickly to elevate swirler heroes like Kobe. MJs era just wasnt exposed to those guys. He says his idol is David Thompson. :lol:

There was no all time great or legacy Jordan had to "chase" during his career. He didnt watch any of those guys, most games werent televised and the media promoted TEAMS not players. 90s players were elevated and successfully marketed to NBA fans by Stern because most are coons with non black families. It wasnt because they had great respect for those before them. In fact because they werent grouped with those guys it was easier to whitewash them by grouping them with PWI NCAA schools.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I disagree about the words and the time. The place maybe it would ve been better behind closed doors if Shaq knows him like that.

So you don’t think it was the wrong words at the wrong time but you think maybe it would’ve been better behind closed doors?

Tell me more.

giphy.gif

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So you don’t think it was the wrong words at the wrong time but you think maybe it would’ve been better behind closed doors?

Tell me more.

giphy.gif
Exactly. If he was in private and told him that exact thing to his face at this time in his career I think that would be a good challenge to the young man.

The main reason why he said it then was because they had already been talking about it and he didnt want to appear as if he says one thing behind his back and another to his face. He wanted to let everyone know especially Mitchell that this is what I am saying about you right now on purpose.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Exactly. If he was in private and told him that exact thing to his face at this time in his career I think that would be a good challenge to the young man.

The main reason why he said it then was because they had already been talking about it and he didnt want to appear as if he says one thing behind his back and another to his face. He wanted to let everyone know especially Mitchell that this is what I am saying about you right now on purpose.

It didn’t need to be the first thing that he told him in an after game interview.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
LeBron James, Kevin Durant push back on 'old heads' like Shaq blasting young players
Jack Baer
·Writer
Fri, January 22, 2021, 8:40 PM·4 min read

A supremely awkward interview between Utah Jazz star Donovan Mitchell and Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal has resulted in plenty of criticism directed toward the latter, and now two of the game’s top active players are weighing in.
A day after the “Inside the NBA” interview — in which O’Neal bluntly told Mitchell he doesn’t have what it takes to reach the next level — both LeBron James and Kevin Durant commented on an Instagram post questioning why young players are so “sensitive” when receiving “constructive criticism” from basketball legends.
Both players took issue with that characterization.
James said there was a difference between constructive criticism and plain hating:
There’s a difference between constructive criticism and soft hating though. I’ve seen it both ways come my way, mostly the hate. You can hear it in their delivery.
Durant suggested older players should leave the coaching to, well, coaches:
Them old heads need to go enjoy retirement. These boys have coaches they work with everyday lol.
Plenty more players have weighed in on the O’Neal interview, including Mitchell’s teammate Mike Conley:

Shaquille O’Neal’s interview was bizarre

Shaquille O'Neal's interview with Donovan Mitchell went viral in all the wrong ways. (Damairs Carter/MediaPunch/IPX)
The interview in question occurred after Mitchell posted 36 points, seven rebounds and five assists in a Jazz win, a curious time to tell a player he doesn’t have much of a future.
Here it is, in all its awkward glory:

To his credit, Mitchell gave the broadside the reaction it deserved, shrugging off O’Neal’s comments and telling him they’re nothing new. A partial transcript:
O’Neal: “I said tonight that you are one of my favorite players, but you don’t have what it takes to get to the next level,” O’Neal said. “I said it on purpose because I wanted you to hear it. What do you have to say about that?”
Mitchell: “Aight ... That’s it.”
O’Neal: “That’s it?”
Mitchell: “That’s it.”
O’Neal: “OK, cool. I wanted you to hear it.”
Mitchell: “Shaq, I’ve been hearing that since my rookie year. I’m just going to get better and do what I do.”
Hating on active NBA players has been something of a recurring segment on TNT’s “Inside the NBA,” especially since O’Neal joined the crew in 2012. Obviously, it’s part of a studio analyst’s job to criticize players, but O’Neal and Charles Barkley have often taken the role to hyperbolic extremes, like calling for LeBron James to be punched in the groin, feuding with Draymond Green, struggling to pronounce the names of a league MVP and straight up saying the league has never been worse.
The whole dynamic clearly does well in the ratings department, on social media and at awards shows. It makes for good television. However, it also results in moments like Wednesday’s, and you can’t blame some players from rolling their eyes when it happens.
The charitable interpretation of O’Neal’s comments is that he was trying to provide Mitchell motivation to get better, but Mitchell is a 6-foot-1 shooting guard who had to replace an outgoing star in his rookie year and became an All-Star. He has never lacked for motivation. And even if Mitchell was lacking, you would hope he has better sources for inspiration than television hosts he barely knows. As Durant said, he has coaches for that.
None of this is to say superstars of the past have nothing to offer to today’s players. Mentorship is very much a real thing — Kobe Bryant and Hakeem Olajuwon being notable examples — but it’s not something done on camera with no insight beyond “you don’t have what it takes.” Because that’s just going to be seen as an attempt at making good television, rather than real help.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Like I said earlier...

Shaq better WATCH it

I have noticed the "novelty" of this show and how it gets down iIm really wearing THIN on black folk and players
Shaqs schtick in particular. And mainly because he has little if any actual analysis or informed commentary and leans too heavily on "thats not good enough.. that dont impress me" nonsense. Hes also made a point of being petty and bitter to certain big men and it appears to now be bleeding out on other players he deems to not be fans of. His act is tired, and other than buffoonery, he doesnt add much to the show. Add to the fact that these guys have become more socially aware and im sure the fact that Shaq rarely has anything of substance to say on those matters is apparent to them.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Like I said earlier...

Shaq better WATCH it

I have noticed the "novelty" of this show and how it gets down iIm really wearing THIN on black folk and players

whenever a show about the NBA

gets MORE LOVE FROM non black folk?

you should be weary.

Meanwhile these white journalist heap praise upon praise on Joker and Luka

and every week Shaq and Chuck are hating on everyone from Christian Wood to Donovan. Donovan isn't even a hatable player. Dude keeps his head down and plays hard. This isn't an easy target like Kyrie or Harden.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Shaqs schtick in particular. And mainly because he has little if any actual analysis or informed commentary and leans too heavily on "thats not good enough.. that dont impress me" nonsense. Hes also made a point of being petty and bitter to certain big men and it appears to now be bleeding out on other players he deems to not be fans of. His act is tired, and other than buffoonery, he doesnt add much to the show. Add to the fact that these guys have become more socially aware and im sure the fact that Shaq rarely has anything of substance to say on those matters is apparent to them.

I hate the fact that he acts as some sort of guardian of big men, as if every big like Embiid or Christian Wood needs his approval.

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
Looking forward to the Bulls vs. Lakers tonight.

Donavan got them believing in themselves and I like the growth I'm seeing. I think the Bulls can make 8th seed if they stay healthy and continue to improve their habits. Top 5 scoring team this season, sharing the ball more, and improving on defense.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
When Cleveland Cavaliers youngster Collin Sexton started his career in the NBA, he garnered mixed reviews from some of his teammates.

There were reportedly a few veterans who abhorred the University of Alabama product.

“Some of the veteran players resented Sexton and were upset the front office didn’t trade that pick in the middle of the 2017-18 season for one last shot at a title,” wrote Terry Pluto of Cleveland.com.
Sexton, 22, was the No. 8 pick in the 2018 NBA Draft.

Shortly after the Cavs drafted Sexton, the franchise lost superstar LeBron James in free agency to the Los Angeles Lakers. Of course, James’ departure sent the Cavs into an immediate rebuild.

However, there were plenty of veterans who were still on the roster by the time the 2018-19 regular season started. The older set of veterans included Kevin Love, J.R. Smith, George Hill, Channing Frye and Kyle Korver.

Many of the journeyman ended up getting shipped as the Cavs focused on their youth.

On the 2020-21 season, Sexton is averaging a career-high 26.8 points, 4.2 assists and 1.3 steals per game. He’s averaging more points a game this season than All-Stars James Harden, Trae Young and Devin Booker.

I think it was Channing Frye,Mr Talc,George Hill and JR Smith..

Them assholes wanted Lebron to carry them to the Finals again even though the defense suffered alot after they won the title. The team was 22nd and 28th in defense in Lebron's last two years. The year the Cavs won the title they're were 8th in defensive efficiency.

@jack walsh13

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Agreed man!

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When Cleveland Cavaliers youngster Collin Sexton started his career in the NBA, he garnered mixed reviews from some of his teammates.

There were reportedly a few veterans who abhorred the University of Alabama product.

Shortly after the Cavs drafted Sexton, the franchise lost superstar LeBron James in free agency to the Los Angeles Lakers. Of course, James’ departure sent the Cavs into an immediate rebuild.

However, there were plenty of veterans who were still on the roster by the time the 2018-19 regular season started. The older set of veterans included Kevin Love, J.R. Smith, George Hill, Channing Frye and Kyle Korver.

Many of the journeyman ended up getting shipped as the Cavs focused on their youth.

On the 2020-21 season, Sexton is averaging a career-high 26.8 points, 4.2 assists and 1.3 steals per game. He’s averaging more points a game this season than All-Stars James Harden, Trae Young and Devin Booker.

Them assholes wanted Lebron to carry them to the Finals again even though the defense suffered alot after they won the title. The team was 22nd and 28th in defense in Lebron's last two years. The year the Cavs won the title they're were 8th in defensive efficiency.

@jack walsh13

No offense but once Lebron left, back to the graveyard the Cavs went. No veteran or any other player was going to save them. And no player on that team won shit before Lebron so they all should’ve STFU and accept the new draft pick and all them losses. :lol:

Just saying

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

@jack walsh13
Crazy.

J6VB4c.jpg