MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
House Party 2023

Painful Party

PRAISE : This remake attempts to capture some of the same charm the original 1990 film has.
The story is basic as Kevin (Jacob Latimore) decides through throw a house party at LeBron James's mansion to get enough money for his daughters private school fees. His "friend" Damon (Tosin Cole) a slacker and then some is along for the ride . I laughed a few times. Andrew Santino was pretty funny in this and the movie could have used a lot more of him. Karen Obilom was a joy to watch. I really enjoyed some of the cameos. One was definitely pure fantasy but hey this is a movie right?

PROBLEMS: Ten minutes into the movie I started to wonder why and how Kevin and Damon are friends.
This was like watching a movie or TV series that has gone on to long and all of the original characters are long gone.
Characters and situations that are supposed to be funny just end being ultra obnoxious. For about ten to fifteen minutes the movie forgets its supposed to be about a house party.
Unfortunately the film is rated R for all the wrong reasons. This film doesn't even play up certain things to make it more charming when it kind of tries it comes off forced.
Watch this as background noise on a Sunday afternoon when there is nothing else to watch.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 3½

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
link says it comes out next month
looks disturbing
It’s playin in a weird rollout but it’s all over LA now. It was in Texas. Maybe just few showings in one week runs around biggest national markets ?

I’ll give it a shot before it bounces if I can and report back

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Saw a bit of BABYLON - I guess basically a little more than the second half… I got the feeling Tobey Maguire is only in the short section I saw…

I hope the first half is super ill because shit was mid af at best. Mad tepid. Lol.
Like “grow some hair on ya nuts/go back to film school, lil bitch” swinging and missing lol

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watched M3GAN yesterday and overall thought it was pretty good. It gets going about 20 mins in.

I wouldn't mind seeing an R-rated cut of the movie for more of a standard horror movie feel, but the PG-13 choice was smart on their end as a smaller budget movie that has gone on to generate big global box office.

Has some funny / amusing moments ... but not LOL.

Enjoyed the scenes with the neighbor. The movie runs just over an hour and a half, but IF it had a longer running time I wouldn't have minded a few more of those scenes to show the tension there.

Stand-up comedy fans will recognize Ronny Chieng amongst the supporting cast.

Good to see a sequel will be coming in early-2025.

On a budget of $12 million,[6] principal photography began in June 2021 taking place in Los Angeles, California, and Auckland, New Zealand.[4][7] The suburbs of Auckland were utilized to lend the film a "Denver, Colorado, type feel".[8] Filming was completed by mid-August right before a COVID-19 lockdown occurred in New Zealand.[9] The film underwent reshoots in post-production in order to secure a PG-13 rating from the Motion Picture Association, after the original cut was deemed too violent.[10]

M3GAN is a 2022 American science fiction horror film directed by Gerard Johnstone, written by Akela Cooper from a story by Cooper and James Wan (who also produced with Jason Blum), and starring Allison Williams and Violet McGraw, with Amie Donald physically portraying M3GAN and Jenna Davis voicing the character. Its plot follows the eponymous artificially intelligent doll who develops self-awareness and becomes hostile towards anyone who comes between her and her human companion.

M3GAN premiered in Los Angeles on December 7, 2022 and was released in the United States on January 6, 2023 by Universal Pictures. The film was a commercial and critical success, grossing over $131 million worldwide against a budget of $12 million, and is currently the third-highest-grossing film of 2023. The film was praised by critics for its campy blend of horror and humor, satirical elements, and performances. A sequel, titled M3GAN 2.0, is scheduled to be released on January 17, 2025, with Williams and McGraw reprising their roles and Cooper returning to write the script.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@godofwine

Oh shit ... you know what time it is. Time for another shark movie ... instant 5-star classic, and guaranteed to sweep next year's Academy Award nominations. Certified Fresh on BGOL Tomatoes and the movie event of the year.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Missing

It was just ok. I liked Searching better. This is definitely something people can wait to stream.

It was sort of boring at times with the social media aspect and Nia Long and he asian dude wasn't believable. Also a lot of story is missing or just didn't make sense.

Storm Reid made it better than it is.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Missing

It was just ok. I liked Searching better. This is definitely something people can wait to stream.

It was sort of boring at times with the social media aspect and Nia Long and he asian dude wasn't believable. Also a lot of story is missing or just didn't make sense.

Storm Reid made it better than it is.

Thanks for your review. Enjoyed Searching a few years back. Storm Reid is good on Euphoria. Hopefully she gets more storyline on season 3. Here's the panel's movie review take from Pop Culture Happy Hour ...

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Infinity Pool

I didn't know anything about this, other than Mia Goth and True Blood dude in it and I wasn't messing with Deon Taylor again and seeing Fear. He's filed under Tyler Perry for me.

I enjoyed it, it's not for everyone. I never knew what was coming next and kept me on my toes.

Mia Goth has been killing it the past two years. She does crazy well.

The only thing that takes you out are the hallucination dream like sequences. Well at least for me. It was like bathroom break acid trip time.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
It's out, thought about seeing it.

but haven't seen any good reviews to make me waste my time.

Low budget horror/thriller is normally bad

I hear you on that. I've listened to some of the movie podcast reviews for the hosts and their friends (who aren't recording) and it's been a mix of enjoyed it to thought it was boring / terrible.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Scream evil dead look like they gonna good

M3gan brought fun horriw back

The Chucky TV series is supposed to real good.

Caught the 1st season of Chucky, but only bothered with episode 1 of season 2.

Fan of Devon Sawa's work ... he grew up in the neighborhood and went to high school with some of my friends. I was at another school about 10 mins away.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Okay, I guess. Not only don't I know anyone who's seen it, I don't know anyone who's expressed interest in seeing it. And I know plenty of people and hear even more talking on the street, subway, in clubs, etc.

Oh well.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The Phenomenon

8/10

This is a recent UFO documentary that was influenced by the recent disclosure of those videos confirmed to be by the US NAVY.

I have seen pretty much every UFO documentary released since the 1980s. They generally all reused the same information along with the same people talking about it.

This documentary touches on some well known and famous UFO cases, but new information is shown along with unseen film, photo and audio recordings of high level US Government officials and well known people associated with the UFO phenomenon since the 1940s. They also debuted some people whose footage I myself don’t recall ever seeing in the past.

This film debuted on The Travel Channel three years ago. I had missed it but had my DVR setup to record it if it repeated. It finally repeated last week for some reason. I also just found out it’s on tubi, Pluto, Crackle and Plex along with some paid subscription services.

If you are into the UFO Phenomenon, you will find this documentary informative.

Synopsis

Interviews with government officials and NASA astronauts as well as archival footage offer credible evidence and insight on the UFO phenomenon.

MV5BMWI0NTJlMTctNTJkMC00Zjk2LWI0M2MtNjAxOWQ3MDgyYzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Hereditary

6.5/10

This is follow up film from the two earlier ones I reviewed “The Witch” and “It Comes At Night”.

It is not a direct sequel but there is a sub-plot that connects to the first two films. I won’t spoil it.

The main connection is with the family who is completely dysfunctional and not openly talking about their issues.

The Woods play a part that connects it to the prior film. The location of the film is nowhere near from what i can tell from what I saw.

It’s a two hour film. The first hour is a slow burn, but it picks up the pace going into the 2nd hour.

Nothing for good scares that you haven’t seen before.

For The Pervs and Gay Agenda trackers, there is full frontal WM nudity along with full frontal nudity of WW. They all are over the age of 60.

Overall, it plays out like a psychological, horror film.

I had recorded it from HBO, it’s currently on HBO MAX.

Synopsis

When the matriarch of the Graham family passes away, her daughter and grandchildren begin to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry, trying to outrun the sinister fate they have inherited.

MV5BOTU5MDg3OGItZWQ1Ny00ZGVmLTg2YTUtMzBkYzQ1YWIwZjlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAzMTY4MDA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Midsommar

5.5/10

Before watching the last reviewed film “Hereditary”, I discovered that this film is companion film to Hereditary.

The setting of the film is a complete 180 from the Hereditary and the two films prior to that.

The premise of this film has been done a million times over the past 50+ years. So there is nothing new about it. If you watch it by itself it’s nothing special. What makes it different is the 3 films prior to it.

For the Pervs, there is full frontal nudity of White people of various ages. There is also a very strange sex scene that you pervs will enjoy.

Violence is graphic, there isn’t much but what is shown gets the point across.

The film is a slow burn that runs just over 2 hours from beginning to end. It also falls into the “Weird” category and when finished watching you will immediately say “WTF DID I JUST WATCH?”. Just remember it indirectly/directly ties to 3 prior films.

I looked into it and the producers are silent right now on a follow up film. If you watch the ending of Hereditary and this film, it’s pretty clear those two endings will come together.

Overall, all 4 of these films play out similar to the MCU films where you can watch them individually, but they connect to a full story. On that note, there are 3 actors who are currently associated with the MCU in this film. The lead actress is the new Black Widow. Two co-stars will debut this year as a new character in the upcoming Ant-Man film and the other as Adam Warlock in the upcoming GOTG movie.

I will be looking out for the next movie. Good chance if it is done, it won’t debut until next year.

I watched this film on Paramount+.

Stay tuned…

Synopsis

A couple travel to Sweden to visit their friend's rural hometown for its fabled midsummer festival, but what begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.

MV5BMzQxNzQzOTQwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQ2NTcwODM@._V1_.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Is That Black Enough For You?!?

9.5/10

This is a recent documentary that was uploaded onto Netflix last year and I watched it this afternoon.

It gives a different and unique insight on Black cinema from the 1930s thru the 1970s.

It revealed a lot of things that I was never aware of like the depiction of Mickey Mouse and how “Saturday Night Fever” was a direct ripoff of “Shaft”.

The documentary goes in depth on how Black movies created the current trend of music soundtracks. And it pointed out how Black cinema has been sampled by mainstream Hollywood which is interesting.

Little bits of new information is given on classic well known Black films and popular all White films thru those decades.

If you are a film buff, you will definitely enjoy it. They showed clips of a good number of Black films I was not aware of. I pulled out a pen/paper and wrote down a list. I highly recommend doing the same if you watch this.

The sad thing was that Bill Cosby was not given recognition, he was shown but his name was not mentioned. It shows how much his legacy has been tarnished.

Synopsis

Film critic Elvis Mitchell examines the craft and power of African American films released from the landmark era of the 1970s.

MV5BOTEwMjE3ZTMtODAzNC00Zjg5LWI5NmMtYTNiZTcyNzNlMTQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5NjEzNA@@._V1_.jpg