Mayweather ensures Pacquiao negotiations descend into farce

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
A D plus fighter? I dont know about that. Where was he ranked before the Shane fight?

This nigga talking about ranking..... I thought the ranking shit wasn't accurate or is that only when Floyd is number one. Either way, nigga, fuck a ranking list... use your eyes on this one.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I don't know about all that but I've been watching Margarito for years man. Since his first fight with Daniel Santos, he couldn't hurt that dude, I remember him and Antonio Diaz going to war for ten rounds when he stopped Diaz in the 10th. I remember not thinking highly at all of Margarito's skills, a total arm puncher with great cardio. It wasn't until I saw homeboy fight Kermit Cintron, that this cat impressed me, you could hear every shot, he still had no skills, but his power was murderous, had Cintron running away from his punches, but we know why now. Dude has no skills, Cotto proved that shit for 9 rounds, Margarito had that cat looking like Floyd Mayweather Jr.Jr. up in there. Without his handwraps, he made Mosley look 10 years younger, he's an ordinary club fighter without that Plaster of Paris my dude. What do you see in homeboy that makes him anything above a C fighter? I mean even Arturo Gatti had way more skills than that dude. He's slow footed, slow fisted, he wings his punches and slaps with them, that 6 feet tall and big framed and has proven totally ineffective at 154. Dude is NO B fighter, Rocky Juarez, Juan Diaz, Edner Cherry, those are B fighters.

Each time he fought santos he moved up in weight and was the smaller man.

merce77

Star
Registered
Each time he fought santos he moved up in weight and was the smaller man.

Wrong!! The first time he fought Santos was at welterweight and Santos actually weighed in at 146 to Margarito's 147. By the time of the second fight Margarito had already fought about 4 times at superwelter, they're the same height and dude had like a half inch reach advantage on Antonio. So out of everything I typed you just picked Santos to discuss huh?:hmm:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Wrong!! The first time he fought Santos was at welterweight and Santos actually weighed in at 146 to Margarito's 147. By the time of the second fight Margarito had already fought about 4 times at superwelter, they're the same height and dude had like a half inch reach advantage on Antonio. So out of everything I typed you just picked Santos to discuss huh?:hmm:

Santos went into each fight the heavier man once they got into the ring. And to answer your question. Yes.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I don't understand the love for Margarito. As much as this nigga goes at Floyd for his bull shit... why defend Margarito?

I mean shit... he's a bum but even if he as great, once you cheat and put niggas' lives on the line... you lose all credibility because there is no way to know how times you didn't get caught. End of story

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Santos went into each fight the heavier man once they got into the ring. And to answer your question. Yes.

Are we going to start picking apart every fight over this weight shit?:lol: Why don't we start talking about glove and ring sizes too?

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Lol, are you going to quote my every comment?

To answer your question... no. I respond to most comments that don't make sense to me, unless it's Zef. I want you niggas to know this my error:)lol:) to run shit in these boxing threads.

Last edited:

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I'm not saying Margarito is a hall of fame fighter, but to say Dude is a D fighter is not smart. Yeah, he got caught cheating, etc. but a D fighter?!?!?! Not close. Especially in this generation of fighters, I'd still put him in the same class as a Gatti, Judah, type, good enough to beat a lot of guys, but not just the elite level. Also, if you look at Oscar, since he has been compared to him, Oscar was a definite draw, but when he stepped up to the ELITE level, he lost more than won, AND, he benefited from a few gift decisions as well....

I definitely don't believe Margarito has a chance to beat Manny, but just because Dude doesn't have blazing speed and can put combinations together and has fantastic footwork, doesn't mean he sucks?!?!?! Reminds me of Kelly Pavlik in a way, good at what he does, but gets into trouble against fast athletic fighters. With their skillset neither of them has a real plan B, but in their lane, both of them can be good and exciting... Not caping up for either of them, Just saying...

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I'm not saying Margarito is a hall of fame fighter, but to say Dude is a D fighter is not smart. Yeah, he got caught cheating, etc. but a D fighter?!?!?! Not close. Especially in this generation of fighters, I'd still put him in the same class as a Gatti, Judah, type, good enough to beat a lot of guys, but not just the elite level. Also, if you look at Oscar, since he has been compared to him, Oscar was a definite draw, but when he stepped up to the ELITE level, he lost more than won, AND, he benefited from a few gift decisions as well....

I definitely don't believe Margarito has a chance to beat Manny, but just because Dude doesn't have blazing speed and can put combinations together and has fantastic footwork, doesn't mean he sucks?!?!?! Reminds me of Kelly Pavlik in a way, good at what he does, but gets into trouble against fast athletic fighters. With their skillset neither of them has a real plan B, but in their lane, both of them can be good and exciting... Not caping up for either of them, Just saying...

Would it make it better if I said C-

Take away Margarito's "supposed" power and really think about the notable welters/superwelter of the last few years... it doesn't have to be the top cats either, but match them up with Margarito in your mind.

I see a lot of L's for Margs bum ass.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Would it make it better if I said C-

Take away Margarito's "supposed" power and really think about the notable welters/superwelter of the last few years... it doesn't have to be the top cats either, but match them up with Margarito in your mind.

I see a lot of L's for Margs bum ass.

I think it would be better if you realized you are a C- when it comes to boxing knowledge in general.

callbacc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Whoa! it's hard to keep up with y'all:lol: But I've alwayz thought of Margarito as a Kelly Pavlik type of fighter not much skill but a power puncher will that's intill brother naazim put a end to his power so if he doesn't have power what does he have?

merce77

Star
Registered
Whoa! it's hard to keep up with y'all:lol: But I've alwayz thought of Margarito as a Kelly Pavlik type of fighter not much skill but a power puncher will that's intill brother naazim put a end to his power so if he doesn't have power what does he have?

:lol:That's been my point the whole time, I already answered that question, he throws alot of punches and has excellent cardio. His skills are C level, his handspeed is C level, his power is so-so without them wraps, he couldn't take his power with him to superwelter until he discovered plaster of paris. Before that Cintron fight, dude wasn't even thought of as a top fighter, I swear that's when he started using those wraps. Anyway, fuck Margarito, fuck Pacman, and fuck Texas for licensing that cheating mufucca. Luis Resto must be mad as shit right now.:smh: And btw, Kelly has more skills than Margarito. Slightly.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/polly-pacquiao-to-train-at-parliament-20100812-120t5.html

Polly Pacquiao to train at parliament
August 12, 2010 - 2:59PM

AFP

Boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao will train for his next world title bout inside the Philippines' parliamentary grounds as he seeks to balance his new job as a lawmaker with his phenomenal sporting career.

Pacquiao, 31, regarded by many as the world's best pound-for-pound fighter, was elected a member of parliament in May but he has vowed his political ambitions will not affect his boxing.

"I will sleep in my office so I can jog before the start of (a parliamentary) session or hearing," the Manila Times on Thursday quoted Pacquiao as saying.

"The House (of Representatives) grounds are big. There is also a big jogging area there."

Pacquiao, the only fighter to have seven championship belts in as many weight classes, said part of his conditioning would encompass a three-hour training session that included jogging.

He said he had inspected the gym at the parliamentary complex and found it "good enough", according to the Times.

Pacquiao is tentatively set to fight Mexico's Antonio Margarito for the vacant World Boxing Council junior middleweight belt on November l3, after talks to fight undefeated US star Floyd Mayweather fell through.

Mayweather had earlier accused Pacquiao of using performance-enhancing drugs and publicly dared him to undergo blood testing if a showdown between them were to come about.

The Filipino champ agreed in May, but Mayweather failed to meet a July deadline to agree to terms of what could be the most lucrative fight in boxing history.

In an article for philboxing.com that was posted at the weekend, Pacquiao said he still wanted to fight Mayweather.

"For now, Antonio Margarito of Mexico is the likely replacement of Mayweather in November 13, but for me, there is nothing more beautiful (than) news if the Mayweather camp will change its mind," he said.

"A lot of things can happen within three months and if Mayweather is not really a coward, he needs to prove himself in the ring.

"He claims he is the best. He says he is number one. There is only one way to prove his greatness and that is to face me. I should be ready by November."

So it is cool that Manny is still looking for the fight to be made. He has not signed on for Antonio yet. He seems to be just filling in his calendar.

merce77

Star
Registered

Santos also went into the ring the much more skilled man, and let me see evidence of what you're saying, do you know the unofficial weights the night of the fight. I remember the first fight he was like 10 pounds heavier than Margarito the night of the fight, but so fuckin what, everybody goes in a bit heavier than Pac, Oscar came in heavier than Floyd, so what. When you have skills it don't matter. Santos is a B fighter in my book, and Margarito couldn't handle that dude, even resorted to low blows.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Santos also went into the ring the much more skilled man, and let me see evidence of what you're saying, do you know the unofficial weights the night of the fight. I remember the first fight he was like 10 pounds heavier than Margarito the night of the fight, but so fuckin what, everybody goes in a bit heavier than Pac, Oscar came in heavier than Floyd, so what. When you have skills it don't matter. Santos is a B fighter in my book, and Margarito couldn't handle that dude, even resorted to low blows.

Why entertain this shit? If both guys fight at a or close to the same weight class, both guys make weight before the fight and both guys sign on the dotted line.... Can't we except that the winner was the better man that night?

I understand if a cat was struggling to make a weight before the fight, but niggas is getting to a point where no one can have legit wins. Niggas blow up after making weight all the fucking time, and if we are going down this route, there is no point in watching any fights. Arguing Santos v Margarito like those fights will go down in history.... Who gives a fuck at this point? Give Santos his credit and move on. I can't imagine that any one else on this earth is even thinking about this shit.

Margarito has proven he doesn't give a fuck about boxing and that he isn't shit as a boxer when he cheated.

I never knew people gave this much of a fuck about Margarito until I jumped in these boxing threads.:smh::smh:

Last edited:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:lol:That's been my point the whole time, I already answered that question, he throws alot of punches and has excellent cardio. His skills are C level, his handspeed is C level, his power is so-so without them wraps, he couldn't take his power with him to superwelter until he discovered plaster of paris. Before that Cintron fight, dude wasn't even thought of as a top fighter, I swear that's when he started using those wraps. Anyway, fuck Margarito, fuck Pacman, and fuck Texas for licensing that cheating mufucca. Luis Resto must be mad as shit right now.:smh: And btw, Kelly has more skills than Margarito. Slightly.

Are you talking about "Flushing Flash" Kevin Kelly or that other one that was a bum? Seriously, as proud as Kevin Kelly is, I would love to see the look on his face if he was told that he was only slightly more skilled than Margartio:lol::lol: Anyway, I agree, Margarito did not seem impressive at all until the Cintron fights and it's a shame that Cintron might have been unjustly ruined in those fights. Cintron was on a roll back then before running into Margarito. Margarito probably had the rock wraps on for Paul Williams too but Williams doesn't seem like the quitting type.

merce77

Star
Registered
Are you talking about "Flushing Flash" Kevin Kelly or that other one that was a bum? Seriously, as proud as Kevin Kelly is, I would love to see the look on his face if he was told that he was only slightly more skilled than Margartio:lol::lol: Anyway, I agree, Margarito did not seem impressive at all until the Cintron fights and it's a shame that Cintron might have been unjustly ruined in those fights. Cintron was on a roll back then before running into Margarito. Margarito probably had the rock wraps on for Paul Williams too but Williams doesn't seem like the quitting type.

:lol::lol:Chill son, Kevin is my dude, I used to train at his gym when I lived on Parsons Blvd. in Queens and hung out with him on a few occasions. I was mad as shit when the Prince ko'd him because all Kevin needed to do was box and not get into exchanges. Kev had way more skill than either Margarito or Pavlik, he's one of the more underrated featherweights of his time, he was just a lil' weak in the chin and liked to brawl when he should've boxed. That's a cool mufucca though.:lol:

Oh but did you notice how Williams seriously slowed down in those last 5 rounds(which Margarito won btw), his punch output dropped and he started to back up. But I agree Paul isn't the quitting type and seems to have a good beard. Plus he already had too many rounds in the bag to lose, but 15 rounds? Might've been a different story if indeed Margarito was wearing those wraps for that fight.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:lol::lol:Chill son, Kevin is my dude, I used to train at his gym when I lived on Parsons Blvd. in Queens and hung out with him on a few occasions. I was mad as shit when the Prince ko'd him because all Kevin needed to do was box and not get into exchanges. Kev had way more skill than either Margarito or Pavlik, he's one of the more underrated featherweights of his time, he was just a lil' weak in the chin and liked to brawl when he should've boxed. That's a cool mufucca though.:lol:

Oh but did you notice how Williams seriously slowed down in those last 5 rounds(which Margarito won btw), his punch output dropped and he started to back up. But I agree Paul isn't the quitting type and seems to have a good beard. Plus he already had too many rounds in the bag to lose, but 15 rounds? Might've been a different story if indeed Margarito was wearing those wraps for that fight.

Yeah, Kelly gave the Prince all he could handle but the Prince was a beast of a puncher and had one of the most original styles ever. As cocky and irritating as Hamed was, I used to love to watch him fight with the flying uppercuts and weird angle punches and he actually used to hit guys with this stuff! I think Hamed's work is underrated at feather but the guy beat almost every champ at that weight by devastating KO. I was particularly impressed when he launched Wilfredo Vasquez into the air with an uppercut. Hamed was an awesome finisher. I loved the way he set Tom Johnson up for that uppercut to end the fight. I don't know if Hamed would have ever beaten Barrera but by the time Barrera got to him Emmanuel Steward already had. To me Steward ruined Hamed by trying to "fix" him. He had Hamed all squared up and trying to fight like a regular person.

Last edited:

Bones

Support BGOL
Registered
Yeah, Kelly gave the Prince all he could handle but the Prince was a beast of a puncher and had one of the most original styles ever. As cocky and irritating as Hamed was, I used to love to watch him fight with the flying uppercuts and weird angle punches and he actually used to hit guys with this stuff! I think Hamed's work is underrated at feather but the guy beat almost every champ at that weight by devastating KO. I was particularly impressed when he launched Wilfredo Vasquez into the air with an uppercut. Hamed was an awesome finisher. I loved the way he set Tom Johnson up for that uppercut to end the fight. I don't know if Hamed would have ever beaten Barrera but by the time Barrera got to him Emmanuel Steward already had. To me Steward ruined Hamed by trying to "fix" him. He had Hamed all squared up and trying to fight like a regular person.

I think Hamed splitting up with Brendan ingle was the worst thing that could have happened to him. I know dudes hated on him and still do, but he was dope to me

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
I'm a Mayweather fan...But I'm a BOXING fan 1st...

and this is a disgrace to the damn sport man...

honestly I can't blame Dana for what he said....:smh:

there is still great boxing with or without that superfight...but this is pathetic....another year of waiting...

while UFC 117 was great from start to finish....

merce77

Star
Registered
I'm a Mayweather fan...But I'm a BOXING fan 1st...

and this is a disgrace to the damn sport man...

honestly I can't blame Dana for what he said....:smh:

there is still great boxing with or without that superfight...but this is pathetic....another year of waiting...

while UFC 117 was great from start to finish....

There's still some good fights happening though, we can at least focus on those. I feel you though, I'm mad as shit that Pac and Floyd got these MMA niccas clownin us.:smh:

merce77

Star
Registered

I always said that had the prince stuck around even after the Barrera loss, he would've ko'd Manny the fuck out. Prince had lightning reflexes and he only needed to tap you with one shot. Manny was a straight forward fighter at that time and a one fisted one at that. He probably would've put the Prince on his back a couple times, but it was really hard to hurt the Prince because you could never hit him square since he was always off balance anyway (which accounted for alot of the times he got knocked down). I see Manny rushing in and Prince putting his lights out. I could've also seen that dude taking out Morales and Marquez since they have a propensity to brawl and come right back with shots when they get hit. I just think Barrera was the perfect foil for Prince and I'm not sure if he could have beaten him at all, maybe I'm wrong but:dunno: Regardless I agree, Prince was an entertaining dude and from what I've heard a real cool, humble guy outside of his boxing persona.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I always said that had the prince stuck around even after the Barrera loss, he would've ko'd Manny the fuck out. Prince had lightning reflexes and he only needed to tap you with one shot. Manny was a straight forward fighter at that time and a one fisted one at that. He probably would've put the Prince on his back a couple times, but it was really hard to hurt the Prince because you could never hit him square since he was always off balance anyway (which accounted for alot of the times he got knocked down). I see Manny rushing in and Prince putting his lights out. I could've also seen that dude taking out Morales and Marquez since they have a propensity to brawl and come right back with shots when they get hit. I just think Barrera was the perfect foil for Prince and I'm not sure if he could have beaten him at all, maybe I'm wrong but:dunno: Regardless I agree, Prince was an entertaining dude and from what I've heard a real cool, humble guy outside of his boxing persona.

I don't know... Your making a decent argument about Prince v Pac way back then, but at the same time Prince Hamed was going to fight a boxer who didn't get caught up in the bullshit.... eventually. Barrera was lucky enough to cash in that ticket while he was almost on his way out of the game.

I could see a young Pac and Morales getting beat cause they liked to brawl... Marquez on the other hand would have probably looked like he did against Pac in their first fight... getting drop a few times early and then catching a rhythm.

Hamed style was like a gift and a curse. He kept fighters off balance but at the same time he kept himself off balance, but he was blessed with unnatural power though. I just wish more motherfuckers nowadays with that type of power, would focus more on tightening up the skills instead of relying on their power to save them. Then again that's why Manny is such a powerhouse cause Roach put it all together.