Mayweather ensures Pacquiao negotiations descend into farce

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Let's not do this again, half them niccas are second tier fighters and his biggest wins were about 10 years ago. Love how niccas always said Gatti was a bum until Floyd beat an OLD Gatti, then all of a sudden it was an accomplishment. And beating Marquez jumping TWO weightclasses was an accomplishment and beating Oscar who was done is an accomplishment too huh? And Judah coming off an embarassing loss to Baldomir and Corley who was just as much of a journeyman as Gatti and a glorified club fighter in Hatton.......you get the picture I'm sure. Manfredy, Corrales and the Castillo rematch were a LONG time ago.

All true but I have to say this about Gatti and Hatton atleast. I won't even argue about them being a means to an end.....

You have no idea how many times they have been hyped by white boys and I had to argue about them being overrated. It was nice to have them completely outclassed.

merce77

Star
Registered
All true but I have to say this about Gatti and Hatton atleast. I won't even argue about them being a means to an end.....

You have no idea how many times they have been hyped by white boys and I had to argue about them being overrated. It was nice to have them completely outclassed.

Maybe overrated but to me they are still more Champion material than Floyd, you didn't have to beg them niggas to fight the best cats in their divisions, win or lose they fought, not trying to protect some undefeated record or askin niccas to take drug tests like he's "cleaning up the sport". And really, was there any question about the outcome before those fights even happened? I remember when Oscar ko'd a prime Gatti in 2 rounds, niccas was like:dunno:, but when Floyd beat up a washed up Gatti, them same cats were like:dance:. I always admired Gatti's heart and willingness to fight, and watch his early fights, dude could box as well. Watching Floyd cry and act like he'd just knocked out Sugar Ray Robinson at the end of the fight literally made me sick.:smh: I wish Floyd and Manny would just hang it up and get the fuck out the way so these young cats who are hungry can do their thing, this shit is just bad for boxing in general.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Maybe overrated but to me they are still more Champion material than Floyd, you didn't have to beg them niggas to fight the best cats in their divisions, win or lose they fought, not trying to protect some undefeated record or askin niccas to take drug tests like he's "cleaning up the sport". And really, was there any question about the outcome before those fights even happened? I remember when Oscar ko'd a prime Gatti in 2 rounds, niccas was like:dunno:, but when Floyd beat up a washed up Gatti, them same cats were like:dance:. I always admired Gatti's heart and willingness to fight, and watch his early fights, dude could box as well. Watching Floyd cry and act like he'd just knocked out Sugar Ray Robinson at the end of the fight literally made me sick.:smh: I wish Floyd and Manny would just hang it up and get the fuck out the way so these young cats who are hungry can do their thing, this shit is just bad for boxing in general.

I rarely cosign a statement but this is the truth. This reminds me of the old argument I had with people. Who had more of a hall of fame career gatti or pbf? Of course pbf is the superior fighter but gatti had more fights of the year and rounds of the year than pbf. Gatti had more signature fights than any other fighter of his talent level. PBF has wins against people he was supposed to beat. gatti deserves the hall of fame more because of his career. Shit how can you cheer for a guy who doesn't fight the best or gives a damn about titles?

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

The Floyd shit may be true to a point, but....

I'm sorry I don't care if Gatti had heart:hmm::hmm:. Nigga this shit ain't Rocky... I care about skills. He was a bum throughout his whole career... overrated, overhyped, overpaid and really it was because he could take an ass whooping. Yes, he fought but C+ and up level fighters beat him... or he lucked up with his power after getting beat senseless. If he avoided fighters who could beat him, he probably wouldn't have fought anybody but plumbers and mechanics. He had wars with cats that real champion level fighters beat into the ground.

Fuck Floyd for his bullshit, but fuck Gatti and HBO for hyping Gatti. I refuse to justify bad boxers because the good ones are on some fuck shit.

tp2001

Star
Registered
Fuck Floyd for his bullshit, but fuck Gatti and HBO for hyping Gatti. I refuse to justify bad boxers because the good ones are on some fuck shit.

lol

I could care less if Floyd fights Pac or not, he beats him regardless...However, this reminds me of the time back in the day when Bowe wouldn't fight Lewis...the same Lewis that lost to Oliver McCall of all fighters :smh:

For each six months that this fight doesn't go down, the more money each of them lose...They should just get this over with...however, I will NOT excuse Arum for setting up Pacquiao to fight Margachee-tos and hope that they are forced to have the fight in Mexico...Arum is just sittin back gettin all the money...

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I now wish this shit would die a slow death.... but you can best believe it won't!!!! :lol::lol:

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29906

Manny Pacquiao Says: Mayweather, King - 'Let's Get it On!'

By Mark Vester

In his recent column on philboxing.com, WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao discussed the relationship between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and promoter Don King. In the last two weeks, Mayweather and King have been spending a lot of time together and there are rumors the two of them could establish a future working relationship to make a Pacquiao fight deal.

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank has twice tried to make a deal to fight Mayweather and both times the negotiations fell through. In a recent interview on BoxingScene.com, Arum said a Mayweather-Pacquiao deal would be much easier to finalize with King in the picture. Arum is on very bad terms with Golden Boy Promotions, who worked with Mayweather on his last four fights.

"I hope Mayweather is serious enough in doing business with Don King and is not doing this only to save face. I hope Don King does the same in return, that he can make miracles happen. I say this to both these men: Let's Get It On. Fight like warriors and brave men," Pacquiao said.

"I am the champion, I have the belts and I should not be the one challenging you. I should not even be the one trying to make this fight happen. But Pacquiao vs Mayweather is what everyone wants, that's why I am calling out your names. My promoter Bob Arum will be waiting for your call and will be very glad to hear what you have to say. The sooner, the better..."

Pacquiao is willing to move away from a potential fight with Antonio Magarito and says he would agree to a fight with Mayweather for November 13. He wants Mayweather to stop wasting time.

"This is the only way for Mayweather to save face. Make the fight happen in November and stop using Mr. Don King for publicity stunts. He claims he is the best. He says he is No. 1. There is only one way to prove his greatness and that is to face me. I should be ready by November," Pacquiao said.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I now wish this shit would die a slow death.... but you can best believe it won't!!!! :lol::lol:

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29906

Manny Pacquiao Says: Mayweather, King - 'Let's Get it On!'

By Mark Vester

In his recent column on philboxing.com, WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao discussed the relationship between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and promoter Don King. In the last two weeks, Mayweather and King have been spending a lot of time together and there are rumors the two of them could establish a future working relationship to make a Pacquiao fight deal.

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank has twice tried to make a deal to fight Mayweather and both times the negotiations fell through. In a recent interview on BoxingScene.com, Arum said a Mayweather-Pacquiao deal would be much easier to finalize with King in the picture. Arum is on very bad terms with Golden Boy Promotions, who worked with Mayweather on his last four fights.

"I hope Mayweather is serious enough in doing business with Don King and is not doing this only to save face. I hope Don King does the same in return, that he can make miracles happen. I say this to both these men: Let's Get It On. Fight like warriors and brave men," Pacquiao said.

"I am the champion, I have the belts and I should not be the one challenging you. I should not even be the one trying to make this fight happen. But Pacquiao vs Mayweather is what everyone wants, that's why I am calling out your names. My promoter Bob Arum will be waiting for your call and will be very glad to hear what you have to say. The sooner, the better..."

Pacquiao is willing to move away from a potential fight with Antonio Magarito and says he would agree to a fight with Mayweather for November 13. He wants Mayweather to stop wasting time.

"This is the only way for Mayweather to save face. Make the fight happen in November and stop using Mr. Don King for publicity stunts. He claims he is the best. He says he is No. 1. There is only one way to prove his greatness and that is to face me. I should be ready by November," Pacquiao said.

Tjervey thank you for knowing when and what articles need to be posted.... can you share this skill with buk?

merce77

Star
Registered

I'm sorry I don't care if Gatti had heart:hmm::hmm:. Nigga this shit ain't Rocky... I care about skills. He was a bum throughout his whole career... overrated, overhyped, overpaid and really it was because he could take an ass whooping. Yes, he fought but C+ and up level fighters beat him... or he lucked up with his power after getting beat senseless. If he avoided fighters who could beat him, he probably wouldn't have fought anybody but plumbers and mechanics. He had wars with cats that real champion level fighters beat into the ground.

I would rather watch a dude who has less skill and is more entertaining to watch. The 24/7 shows are the most entertaining parts of Floyd's fights. Him bullshitting us into believing this sub par nicca can beat him, and us believing it is priceless. As long as people remember cats like Sweet Pea and Ray Leonard who had mad skill and weren't afraid to fight the very best and would stand, slip and trade punches, Floyd will never be mentioned with those cats. How many fights of the year has Floyd been involved in?:smh:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I would rather watch a dude who has less skill and is more entertaining to watch. The 24/7 shows are the most entertaining parts of Floyd's fights. Him bullshitting us into believing this sub par nicca can beat him, and us believing it is priceless. As long as people remember cats like Sweet Pea and Ray Leonard who had mad skill and weren't afraid to fight the very best and would stand, slip and trade punches, Floyd will never be mentioned with those cats. How many fights of the year has Floyd been involved in?:smh:

To me it is all about matchmaking. It is difficult for pbf to be matched with anyone because just like John ruiz. The fights look ugly.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

Less skilled and MORE entertaining? Gatti? naw.... Brawls are fun, but when it comes to boxing..... I mean when Gatti was in there with a real boxer it wasn't entertaining anymore, because he became a barely moving punching bag.

Nigga, if you every believed that Floyd would lose to a sub par fighter then that's on you.

My only other problem is there is no one Floyd could have fought that would make him on the same level as Leonard or Sweet Pea. Even now, fighting Pac, Martinez and P Will.... will only mean something if they are real tough fights. Otherwise if he breezes through them or fights defensively like he did with De La Hoya.... he is still not going to mention with the best, but who gives a fuck. Floyd is wasting people's time.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Why are y'all so hard on this Dude!?!?!? He just got clowned in a thread HE started!!! :lol::lol:

You put way to much into a thread he started. I never knew that posting a link or starting a thread carried brought so much honor for a person Lol, still alaskanredman is my groupie. It is what it is.

merce77

Star
Registered
Less skilled and MORE entertaining? Gatti? naw.... Brawls are fun, but when it comes to boxing..... I mean when Gatti was in there with a real boxer it wasn't entertaining anymore, because he became a barely moving punching bag.

Nigga, if you every believed that Floyd would lose to a sub par fighter then that's on you.

My only other problem is there is no one Floyd could have fought that would make him on the same level as Leonard or Sweet Pea. Even now, fighting Pac, Martinez and P Will.... will only mean something if they are real tough fights. Otherwise if he breezes through them or fights defensively like he did with De La Hoya.... he is still not going to mention with the best, but who gives a fuck. Floyd is wasting people's time.

Yeah, more entertaining, he had heart, wasn't afraid to fight someone who had a good chance of beating him and in his prime he was involved in like 4 FOTY. Floyd didn't become popular, he became the nicca people love to hate, they don't watch him to see him take no risks and throw one punch at a time, maybe we do, but we're hardcore, most of the people who pay to watch him fight are not. Til this day I bet if you walked around and ask people if they'd rather watch Gatti or Floyd fight and you'd be surprised at the answers. It's the reason why Pac is more popular among fans than Floyd, but Floyd sells more, people wanna see him lose and he's great at selling his bullshit.

C'mon Alaskan, as a fan, you have to know, when you fight all comers, eventually you lose, whether the dude that beats you is less skilled than you or not, styles make fights. Every fighter has his off day, no great fighter retires undefeated. And Floyd to alot of people, already lost to Castillo. But he was an up and comer, known family name, big future, Bob Arum fighter = Castillo got jobbed. No different than what happened to Kotelnik tonight. Castillo WAAY outlanded Floyd on power punches and in every other category and got robbed. So yeah, he's already had that fight you're talking about. He won't chance fighting a guy who has a real shot at beating him, as I've said before, dudes only attraction to the people who pay for fights, is the fact they wanna see him lose. Once that's gone, he's done. Dude is like a good gambler, he knows when to walk away from the game.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Why are y'all so hard on this Dude!?!?!? He just got clowned in a thread HE started!!! :lol::lol:

Fuck that motherfucker.... in one of these threads I barely said anything about the topic. I didn't take any sides of any argument really. Then out the blue he quotes me and goes on the attack, but the quote has nothing to do with what he was complaining about and nothing I said in the thread or any thread that I can think of matched what he was complaining about.

The nigga just transposed some shit on to me and didn't even explain wtf it was all about. Then continue to make dumb statement after dumb statement. I'm tired of the nigga and his post.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Fuck that motherfucker.... in one of these threads I barely said anything about the topic. I didn't take any sides of any argument really. Then out the blue he quotes me and goes on the attack, but the quote has nothing to do with what he was complaining about and nothing I said in the thread or any thread that I can think of matched what he was complaining about.

The nigga just transposed some shit on to me and didn't even explain wtf it was all about. Then continue to make dumb statement after dumb statement. I'm tired of the nigga and his post.

Lol, It is lame to e-beef with people. You do know it isn't that serious. I mean I am on my 360 and peeping the forum. Hence this is just a leisure pursuit. Lmao, motherfucker.... Damn, dude.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Yet, you hype Demarcus Corley from time to time.:lol:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

You forgot to mention the increasingly overplayed footage of him on 24/7 hitting the mitts a la Kevin Hart. It amazes me how people get all horny over guys hitting mitts. Like when Mayweather Sr had Hatton hitting the mitts this way some people actually thought he was a changed fighter just on that. People in my office were like "Hatton can fight black now" just off of the mitt hitting on 24/7.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
To me it is all about matchmaking. It is difficult for pbf to be matched with anyone because just like John ruiz. The fights look ugly.

I disagree. There are a lot of interesting fights for him style-wise. As a so called master of defense, I personally would find it interesting to see how he would defend against a Paul Williams or even an Andre Berto just based on youth and offensive ability. People get caught up in all the flash but Mayweather has not looked untouchable against a couple of guys. Alexander did not look untouchable at all against Kotelnik in spite of him supposedly having this slick black style that instantly is just supposed to dominate virtually any other style on paper. Fights are won in the ring and PBF and his fans seem to be able to settle for "he would beat those guys anyway". Typical fans of fighters and not boxing.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Yeah, more entertaining, he had heart, wasn't afraid to fight someone who had a good chance of beating him and in his prime he was involved in like 4 FOTY. Floyd didn't become popular, he became the nicca people love to hate, they don't watch him to see him take no risks and throw one punch at a time, maybe we do, but we're hardcore, most of the people who pay to watch him fight are not. Til this day I bet if you walked around and ask people if they'd rather watch Gatti or Floyd fight and you'd be surprised at the answers. It's the reason why Pac is more popular among fans than Floyd, but Floyd sells more, people wanna see him lose and he's great at selling his bullshit.

I agree with what your saying here... most people are idiots and don't understand talent. Like I said most people like brawls cause they are fun.... I get it. Its the same reason why back in the day niggas would hear a lot of bass and said Master P was a better rapper than Nas. With that said you know better. Floyd can box with all comers whether he takes them on or not. Gatti can only brawl with bums and he can't go into a fight with good to great fighter and still be entertaining except in the way he takes a beat down.

C'mon Alaskan, as a fan, you have to know, when you fight all comers, eventually you lose, whether the dude that beats you is less skilled than you or not, styles make fights. Every fighter has his off day, no great fighter retires undefeated. And Floyd to alot of people, already lost to Castillo. But he was an up and comer, known family name, big future, Bob Arum fighter = Castillo got jobbed. No different than what happened to Kotelnik tonight. Castillo WAAY outlanded Floyd on power punches and in every other category and got robbed. So yeah, he's already had that fight you're talking about. He won't chance fighting a guy who has a real shot at beating him, as I've said before, dudes only attraction to the people who pay for fights, is the fact they wanna see him lose. Once that's gone, he's done. Dude is like a good gambler, he knows when to walk away from the game.

I agree he lost to Castillo in the first fight, but did put him in the ranking with the best even with the rematch? No. A tough fight was like a wash for him.

Any boxer could lose, he has made his whole career about not losing to get paid but his career is near the end... Why is he worried about it now? I don't think he cares about it more than his legacy, but who knows?

If he is concerned about his legacy he will fight cause this is what will affect it the most, if not he will retire undefeated.

Either way, Floyd chose money over respect and in most people's eye there is nothing he can do to turn it around, but it doesn't negate his skills.

Last edited:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

That's it right there in a nutshell. You fight enough fights and someone will get your ass one day for whatever reason. Maybe you didn't train enough, the guy studied you, a matter of styles, whatever the fuck, you will get got! Floyd and "cats" like Alaskan like to play this "oh, he would beat everyone anyway" shit and it's just ridiculous and not in line with boxing historically. Fights are won in the motherfucking ring and the Randy Turpins and Baldomirs prove this all the time.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Lol, It is lame to e-beef with people. You do know it isn't that serious. I mean I am on my 360 and peeping the forum. Hence this is just a leisure pursuit. Lmao, motherfucker.... Damn, dude.

I don't have beef. I talk shit about your post being stupid because they add nothing constructive to anything.

If your not smart enough to see it... I'll at least explain it to the other people who have a tiny bit more brain power then you. Maybe Zef can PM you and explain.... oh nevermind. He doesn't understand the difference between a fighter with potential falling apart and a complete bum. Maybe you can PM him... nah fuck it.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I don't have beef. I talk shit about your post being stupid because they add nothing constructive to anything.

If your not smart enough to see it... I'll at least explain it to the other people who have a tiny bit more brain power then you. Maybe Zef can PM you and explain.... oh nevermind. He doesn't understand the difference between a fighter with potential falling apart and a complete bum. Maybe you can PM him... nah fuck it.

Demarcus, is that you? You know Gatti had potential too. Heck, he turned out to be an even greater fighter than you.

merce77

Star
Registered
I agree with what your saying here... most people are idiots and don't understand talent. Like I said most people like brawls cause they are fun.... I get it. Its the same reason why back in the day niggas would hear a lot of bass and said Master P was a better rapper than Nas. With that said you know better. Floyd can box with all comers whether he takes them on or not. Gatti can only brawl with bums and he can't go into a fight with good to great fighter and still be entertaining except in the way he takes a beat down.

I agree he lost to Castillo in the first fight, but did put him in the ranking with the best even with the rematch? No. A tough fight was like a wash for him.

Any boxer could lose, he has made his whole career about not losing to get paid but his career is near the end... Why is he worried about it now? I don't think he cares about it more than his legacy, but who knows?

If he is concerned about his legacy he will fight cause this is what will affect it the most, if not he will retire undefeated.

Either way, Floyd chose money over respect and in most people's eye there is nothing he can do to turn it around, but it doesn't negate his skills.

Of course not. I never deny his skill, he's one of the most talented cats I've ever seen, and as far as lightweights go and his body of work at that weight, he's one of the greatest.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Of course not. I never deny his skill, he's one of the most talented cats I've ever seen, and as far as lightweights go and his body of work at that weight, he's one of the greatest.

I think the biggest myth about pbf is his lightweight career is one of legends. And it really isn't. I know it is popular to say but I don't see it. I judge pbf on his whole career because his career as a lightweight was filled with a low amount of fights and barely any that were historic. He was a lightweight fighter for two years.

In 2002, Mayweather moved up to the lightweight (135*lb) division. Mayweather fought only four bouts at this weight, but they were all world championship fights. Mayweather won two bouts for the WBC and The Ring lightweight belts against José Luis Castillo. In their first bout, Castillo had success when he cut off the ring and used his strength to wear down Mayweather. But it was not enough to make up for his slow start in the fight. Still, many analysts and fans feel that Mayweather should have lost the fight,[14] but he won by unanimous decision. In the rematch, Mayweather used his quick footwork, combinations and his jab specialty to coast to another unanimous decision victory, this time with no controversy. The smaller Mayweather was outweighed by Castillo on the night of the fight, as Castillo weighed 147 and Mayweather weighed 138.[15]
On April 19, 2003, Mayweather dominated the Dominican Victoriano Sosa and won by unanimous decision. Mayweather's next fight (on November 1, 2003) was in his hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan. He fought against the promising South African knockout specialist Phillip Ndou, whose record was 31-1 with 30 KOs. Uncharacteristically, Mayweather was offensively oriented from the beginning of the fight. Round 5 was one of 2003's most action-packed.[16] In the middle of the round, Mayweather landed a barrage of powerful punches. Ndou endured and threw wild punches that forced Mayweather into the ropes, but Mayweather demonstrated his rhythmic defensive technique and let Ndou wear himself out further. In round 6, Ndou wobbled and was pushed down. In round 7, a combination of three straight right hands knocked down Ndou and caused a TKO, when N'Dou's trainers - Nick Durandt and Tommy Brooks - contemplated throwing in the towel. However, the ref stopped the fight as Ndou did not move forward (as part of a test to ensure he was okay from the knockdown).

To me that isn't an top ten career in the lightweight division.

Last edited:

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I think the biggest myth about pbf is his lightweight career is one of legends. And it really isn't. I know it is popular to say but I don't see it. I judge pbf on his whole career because his career as a lightweight was filled with a low amount of fights and barely any that were historic.

Exactly! I believe when it come to 'Physically Gifted GOAT' discussion, Floyd is definitely in the discussion, along with Roy Jones, but when we talk about overall GOAT, not so much. There are so many intangibles when considering GOAT (body of work, historic impact, quality of opposition, adversity caused by quality of opposition, adaptability, duration, etc), and on these counts, Floyd AND Manny for that matter fall short. We operate under the illusion of what we see, but when we look over the whole matter, a LOT of fighters in our time don't truly measure up. The constantly growing influence of Governing Bodies, catchweight BS, as well as fighting once a year, etc. really excludes a lot of current fighters from this discussion. There is no way we can even compare Floyd or Manny to Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, etc. Also, with all of their pluses, I believe their minuses out number them. For every great win, there are boring losses, for every win over a 'quality' opponent, their are wins over not so good or carefully selected foes. Even with some of their GREAT wins, there are a lot of questions, (Oscar was past his shelf life against BOTH of them, Marquez was WAYYY too small to be fighting Floyd, Cotto had to fight Pac at a catchweight, already talking about a catchweight for Margarito), and no matter which way you slice it, all of these 'conditions' are meant to favor both Manny AND Floyd. Best of this era, quite possibly, but GOAT discussion, IMO not even Top 30-40. This includes BHop too, while he is definitely legendary, his quality of Opposition and flying under the radar for so long hurts him.... How many fights do either of them (Manny, Floyd, BHop (maybe the Trinidad fight though), Roy) have that 10 years from now will be must see on say... ESPN Classic?

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Exactly! I believe when it come to 'Physically Gifted GOAT' discussion, Floyd is definitely in the discussion, along with Roy Jones, but when we talk about overall GOAT, not so much. There are so many intangibles when considering GOAT (body of work, historic impact, quality of opposition, adversity caused by quality of opposition, adaptability, duration, etc), and on these counts, Floyd AND Manny for that matter fall short. We operate under the illusion of what we see, but when we look over the whole matter, a LOT of fighters in our time don't truly measure up. The constantly growing influence of Governing Bodies, catchweight BS, as well as fighting once a year, etc. really excludes a lot of current fighters from this discussion. There is no way we can even compare Floyd or Manny to Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, etc. Also, with all of their pluses, I believe their minuses out number them. For every great win, there are boring losses, for every win over a 'quality' opponent, their are wins over not so good or carefully selected foes. Even with some of their GREAT wins, there are a lot of questions, (Oscar was past his shelf life against BOTH of them, Marquez was WAYYY too small to be fighting Floyd, Cotto had to fight Pac at a catchweight, already talking about a catchweight for Margarito), and no matter which way you slice it, all of these 'conditions' are meant to favor both Manny AND Floyd. Best of this era, quite possibly, but GOAT discussion, IMO not even Top 30-40. This includes BHop too, while he is definitely legendary, his quality of Opposition and flying under the radar for so long hurts him.... How many fights do either of them (Manny, Floyd, BHop (maybe the Trinidad fight though), Roy) have that 10 years from now will be must see on say... ESPN Classic?

I agree... by the way we put these niggas under a stricter microscope too. Look at Marciano's career. Archie Moore? Old Joe Louis? Old

merce77

Star
Registered

Damm, I've been making these same points for how long?

merce77

Star
Registered
Now as far as May from 130-135, dude's body of work is undeniable, Corrales, Genaro Hernandez, Manfredy, Castillo, Jesus Chavez, definitely, from jr.lightweight to lightweight, dude is solid. But after that, dude has fought a lot of bums and hand picked opponents. Neither him or Manny deserve to be looked at as TRUE all time greats. B-Hop is a little more debatable, but even he said he would never beat a Monzon or a Hagler so I give him credit for that.
Bring back 15 round fights and you'd really seperate the men from the boys. To me, one veteran who deserves his credit right now is Marquez.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Now as far as May from 130-135, dude's body of work is undeniable, Corrales, Genaro Hernandez, Manfredy, Castillo, Jesus Chavez, definitely, from jr.lightweight to lightweight, dude is solid. But after that, dude has fought a lot of bums and hand picked opponents. Neither him or Manny deserve to be looked at as TRUE all time greats. B-Hop is a little more debatable, but even he said he would never beat a Monzon or a Hagler so I give him credit for that.
Bring back 15 round fights and you'd really seperate the men from the boys. To me, one veteran who deserves his credit right now is Marquez.

Real shit on the 15 rounds and on Marquez.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered

Exactly, 15 rounds, same day weight ins, all that shit! The thing is, the 24hr weight in shit causes A LOT of mismatches!?!? Remember a few years ago Gatti fought this Dude Joey Gamache? Gatti weight like 25 lbs more than Dude, and fucked Dude up real nice. Fam had to retire after that shit but sued and got paid! I hate this, a fight is a welterweight fight, but at fight time cats weigh like 160 and shit? Some might argue that same day weigh ins put fighters in an un-necessary health risks because of weight loss and dehydration, but I say, maybe the motherfucker doesn't need to be fighting at that weight in the first place then?!?!? And this 12 round shit? Real legends not only fought the 15 rounds but some of those Dudes fought 2-3 times a year with that shit! How the hell are you going to put todays fighters in the same class as the Robinson, some of which had 150-200 career fights? And then you got Floyd talking that stupid I am better than them shit!?!?!? :smh: Not even close...

merce77

Star
Registered
Real shit on the 15 rounds and on Marquez.

Imagine redoing some of the fights of the past 15 years on some 15 rounds shit. Oscar would've been KO'd by Tito in the 13th or 14th, Marquez outpoints Pac in both fights. Martinez vs Williams would have gone down to the wire, maybe somebody gets stopped. James Toney would've stopped Vasily Jirov in 13, or imagine DeLaHoya/Quartey with another 3 rounds to go.....Cats had to pace themselves way more, gotta train for cardio better, there'd be alot more late stoppages, different ballgame altogether, you'd throw a monkey wrench in alot of cats games.

merce77

Star
Registered
Exactly, 15 rounds, same day weight ins, all that shit! The thing is, the 24hr weight in shit causes A LOT of mismatches!?!? Remember a few years ago Gatti fought this Dude Joey Gamache? Gatti weight like 25 lbs more than Dude, and fucked Dude up real nice. Fam had to retire after that shit but sued and got paid! I hate this, a fight is a welterweight fight, but at fight time cats weigh like 160 and shit? Some might argue that same day weigh ins put fighters in an un-necessary health risks because of weight loss and dehydration, but I say, maybe the motherfucker doesn't need to be fighting at that weight in the first place then?!?!? And this 12 round shit? Real legends not only fought the 15 rounds but some of those Dudes fought 2-3 times a year with that shit! How the hell are you going to put todays fighters in the same class as the Robinson, some of which had 150-200 career fights? And then you got Floyd talking that stupid I am better than them shit!?!?!? :smh: Not even close...

^^^^^^All this.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Imagine redoing some of the fights of the past 15 years on some 15 rounds shit. Oscar would've been KO'd by Tito in the 13th or 14th, Marquez outpoints Pac in both fights. Martinez vs Williams would have gone down to the wire, maybe somebody gets stopped. James Toney would've stopped Vasily Jirov in 13, or imagine DeLaHoya/Quartey with another 3 rounds to go.....Cats had to pace themselves way more, gotta train for cardio better, there'd be alot more late stoppages, different ballgame altogether, you'd throw a monkey wrench in alot of cats games.

Nigga imagine what B-Hop would have done.