Mayweather ensures Pacquiao negotiations descend into farce

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/chris_mannix/07/27/mayweather.pacquiao/index.html?eref=sihp

Floyd Mayweather is a bully, one neatly wrapped in a cut 5-foot-8, 147-pound package. Like most bullies, Mayweather is intimidating. He sends promoters, managers and networks cowering in the corner with the mere threat of withholding his services. He holds the boxing world hostage by saying he will take his gloves and go home unless the fight isn't when he wants, where he wants and at what weight he wants. He perpetuates a lie -- like the one about his advisor, Al Haymon, not being involved in negotiations with Manny Pacquiao -- because he is confident in the fact that no one in the industry will stand up to him.

Well, someone finally did. Late Monday night, HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg -- the man in the middle of this mess -- issued a statement. In the statement, Greenburg confirmed what everyone in the world already knew. Yes, there had been negotiations. No, there will not be a fight between the two biggest names in the sport this year.

"Fights like Mayweather vs. Pacquiao are significant because of these fighters' ability to connect with sports fans around the world," said Greenburg. "It's unfortunate that it won't happen in 2010. I had been negotiating with a representative from each side since May 2, carefully trying to put the fight together. Hopefully, someday this fight will happen. Sports fans deserve it."

Mayweather's team issued a series of swift denials. But it is preposterous to suggest that Haymon, Mayweather's chief negotiator and the man Mayweather praises for his work at every ... single ... press conference would be involved in any kind of talks for a Mayweather fight without Mayweather's express approval. Greenburg has no reason to lie. Haymon has a large stable of clients that include Andre Berto, Paul Williams and Chris Arreola. But Mayweather is Haymon's golden goose. He brings home the biggest paycheck. And to believe Haymon pretended to speak on Mayweather's behalf for two months -- two months -- strains credulity to Avatar-like levels.

It didn't happen. Mayweather knew exactly what Haymon was doing, just like Leonard Ellerbe and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer did. Ellerbe is Mayweather's mouthpiece. He's a good man, one well-liked in the industry. But as sycophants come, he may be the definition. He parrots everything Floyd says -- "All roads lead to Floyd Mayweather" -- to the point where it almost doesn't matter who says it. The words are the same; the voices are just different.

Schaefer's stance is even more baffling. Schaefer, too, is well-respected in the industry and has advanced boxing as much as anyone with his innovative marketing strategies. But by backing Mayweather and denying any negotiations took place, he not only is calling his boss Oscar De La Hoya a liar -- De La Hoya, remember, went on Univision last month and said the Mayweather-Pacquiao negotiations were "very close" to being completed -- but he's calling every journalist he has spoken to on the subject a liar, too.

Sure, Schaefer has offered a firm "no comment" when asked about negotiations, but his words have been laced with hints that there was indeed something to comment on. Earlier this month, after Arum told SI.com that a deal had been struck, I called Schaefer looking for confirmation. Again, he said he had no comment. But he later announced, somewhat triumphantly, that I should tell Arum that he had "won the shut-up contest."

Shut up about what, exactly? Right.

The truth is Schaefer and Golden Boy have attached themselves to Mayweather because his affiliation with the company is one of the few assets keeping it viable. Click on the fighters page on Golden Boy's website and check out the four faces highlighted at the top. De La Hoya is gone, Bernard Hopkins should be and Shane Mosley and Juan Manuel Marquez are one bad loss away from potentially following them out the door.

They have a heavyweight champion (David Haye) who won't fight anybody. They have a former middleweight champion (Winky Wright) who won't either. There is talent at junior welterweight (Marcos Maidana, Victor Ortiz, Amir Khan) but not enough to carry the company. No, Golden Boy needs Mayweather and to cross him would burn a very lucrative bridge. And they are not going to do it.

Meanwhile, Mayweather sits back, content to amuse himself by working Ellerbe and Schaefer like puppets. He's comforted by the $65 million he earned in his past two fights, the kind of cash that reinforces the fantasy that he's the G.O.A.T ... when the reality is that he has yet to even prove he is the greatest of this time. He had a chance to cement that legacy this year by following up a win over Mosley with another over Pacquiao.

He passed.

But like it was with LeBron James, it wasn't so much the decision as how the decision was delivered. Coldly, and littered with a whole lot of lies.

merce77

Star
Registered
:smh::smh::smh:At everybody involved in this fucking mess. Dana White is laughing his ass off at boxing right now.:smh::smh::smh:

disappointed-cat-is-disappoint-23393-1252295716-93.jpg

merce77

Star
Registered
SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!!!:smh::smh:

From Fox Sports

Mayweather wastes our time

About a week ago, UFC boss Dana White ran into Floyd Mayweather at the Hard Rock in Vegas.

“When’s this fight gonna happen?” asked White referring to the prospect of Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao.

“What do you care?” said Mayweather. “You got the UFC.”

“I’m a boxing fan,” said White, who is, in fact, a boxing fan, and from way back.

“Well, I’m not desperate,” sneered Mayweather.

Desperate? Who said anything about desperate?

The man who calls himself “Money” stood to gain between $45 and $60 million fighting Pacquiao, depending on whom you believe. Instead, Mayweather (undefeated in 41 fights) — whose camp has long argued his hypothetical superiority over the likes of such scrubs as Sugar Ray Robinson (with a mere 202 pro bouts) and Muhammad Ali — takes a pass on history and fortune, leaving Pacquiao to fight … Antonio Margarito.

Margarito, you may recall, isn’t licensed to fight in the United States, as other state commissions honor the ruling of California, which suspended him after his trainer was caught applying plaster inserts to his handwraps. Without loaded gloves, Margarito was demolished by Shane Mosley. That was January ’09. His one fight since was a lackluster effort against somebody or other in Mexico. Still, the cheater (and cheating in boxing, where men can be ruined for life, is a bit more egregious than cheating in, say, baseball or chess) is being rewarded. Perhaps it’s needless to say, or merely redundant, that Margarito and Pacquiao are both promoted by Bob Arum.

Cynical? Yes.

Despicable? Perhaps.

But blame Arum?

No. Hell no. Not this time.

I’m with Dana White here, a guy who’s had his public spats with both Mayweather and Arum. “It’s Floyd Mayweather’s fault,” he says. “You’re supposed to be a professional.”

Fighters are supposed to fight. What’s more, great fighters are obliged to fight other great ones. “You claim to be the best in the world,” says White. “You should take on the best until you retire, cement your place in history.”

That’s easy for White to say. After all, he controls his fighters. If that’s a subject for another day, it’s also the biggest single reason that mixed-martial arts has overtaken boxing in all but the most rarefied pay-per-view levels. Whatever combat aesthetic you fancy (I prefer boxing), the UFC guarantees that the best fight the best. In boxing, you hope and wait two years, and get what? Pacquiao-Margarito.

“For denying them this fight, boxing fans should never buy another Floyd Mayweather fight as long as they live,” says White.

I’m not prepared to do it — if Mayweather deigns to fight again, I’ll be there, front and center — but I surely understand the sentiments. Everybody from the most casual fans to those with a money stake desperately wanted this fight to happen — except for one guy. That would be Mayweather himself.

The peculiar thing is, he’s not far removed from his most ennobling moment. It came, somewhat improbably, as Mosley wobbled him with a right hand in the second round of their fight at the MGM. Mayweather had never been hurt like that, certainly not as a pro. But he kept his composure and came back to dominate the remaining rounds, more willing than usual to trade punches.

What happened? Mayweather was asked.

“What happened is, I’m a fighter.”

Then you should fight, no?

Next, he was asked about Manny Pacquiao and the negotiations that fell apart apart last winter when Mayweather suddenly became a proponent of Olympic-style drug testing. “If Manny takes the test,” he said, “we can make the fight happen.”

Negotiations for Pacquaio-Mayweather began anew the next day, May 2, according to a statement to be released later today by HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg. “I had been negotiating with a representative from each side,” says Greenburg, “… carefully trying to put the fight together.”

Suddenly, drug-testing wasn’t much of an issue. Apparently, Pacquiao agreed to Olympic-style testing that would conclude just two weeks before the fight. The negotiations, with Greenburg as the go-between, lasted about eight weeks. Arum represented Pacquiao. Mayweather was represented by Al Haymon. By reputation, Haymon is extremely bright, inscrutable, and wise enough to never, ever be quoted. He’s a businessman, and if nothing else recognized that Mayweather-Pacquiao was great business.

A source close to the negotiations estimates that the pie — to be split evenly between Pacquaio and Mayweather — could’ve been worth in excess of $120 million with pay-per view revenue and site fees. At three million pay-per-view buys, each fighter stood to collect between $50 and $55 million. At a more modest two million buys, they’d each get about $40 million.

By June, the fight seemed a lock. Oscar De La Hoya, whose Golden Boy Promotions partners with Mayweather, was quoted as saying: “The two fighters now realize that this fight must be made … It's going to be a big, big fight. I think right now we are very, very close in finalizing the contracts.”

On Monday, when Robert Morales of BoxingScene.com caught up with De La Hoya in Los Angeles, the Golden Boy denied it all. “Obviously,” he said, “negotiations weren’t going on.”

Obviously. De La Hoya knew this because last week, after negotiations broke down, Mayweather advisor Leonard Ellerbe issued a press release. “No negotiations have ever taken place,” it read. “... Either Ross Greenburg or Bob Arum is not telling the truth, but history tells us who is lying.”

He was referring to Arum, of course. But now that Greenburg’s release supports Arum’s story, the Mayweather camp has taken to citing a Make A Wish video shot June 2.

“At this particular time,” said Floyd Mayweather, “Floyd Mayweather is taking probably a year off, a couple years off from the sport of boxing.”

Oh. Then why did Haymon keep negotiating for at least another month? Is he that much of a sucker?

“You can’t fault Haymon,” says my source. “He was trying to make this fight.”

There were five guys involved here. Four of them — Pacquiao, Arum, Haymon and Greenburg — worked hard to make it happen. The fifth guy killed it.

It’s been said that Arum should’ve matched his fighter with Andre Berto or Paul Williams, who, at 6-foot-1 is just too big and long for the 5-4 Pacquiao. But they’re both Haymon fighters. Why should Arum reward the guy who couldn’t deliver Mayweather?

Berto and Williams are better fighters than Margarito. But outside of boxing, no one knows their names. At least Margarito — who’ll sell tickets in Mexico, if no where else — has some cachet as a villain.

That’s sad. But sadder still is the prospect of another erstwhile heel, a decade from now.

Money Mayweather is an ex-fighter. Or maybe not. Still loitering at the Hard Rock, though.

“We’ll see,” says Dana White. “We’ll see how desperate he is in 10 years.”

I don't agree with all of this but Floyd can't get away with looking like a fucking victim either, that ninja didn't want the fight anymore than Arum.:angry:

merce77

Star
Registered
Fuck this bullshit article...

Yeah anything that makes Mayweather look bad should be discarded and everything that makes Pac look bad should be cosigned right?:smh:

BOTH SIDES ARE TO BLAME. But Floyd is looking ass, HE says he's greater than Ali, Robinson and everybody else and is not willing to prove it and hasn't been for the majority of his career. Ya'll casual boxing fans kill me.:smh:

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Yeah anything that makes Mayweather look bad should be discarded and everything that makes Pac look bad should be cosigned right?:smh:

BOTH SIDES ARE TO BLAME. But Floyd is looking ass, HE says he's greater than Ali, Robinson and everybody else and is not willing to prove it and hasn't been for the majority of his career. Ya'll casual boxing fans kill me.:smh:

That's the one thing that separates him from Manny IMO.... even though both have bullshitted this fight away, and Manny is Ass for fighting a no hoper like Margarito, at least you don't hear him spouting stupid shit like he's the greatest of all time,etc! Even if it is for show, at some point you have to show and prove! Fuck both of them, but fuck Floyd a lil bit more, because he is slowly morphing into a loud mouthed clown!!!! :smh:

merce77

Star
Registered
That's the one thing that separates him from Manny IMO.... even though both have bullshitted this fight away, and Manny is Ass for fighting a no hoper like Margarito, at least you don't hear him spouting stupid shit like he's the greatest of all time,etc! Even if it is for show, at some point you have to show and prove! Fuck both of them, but fuck Floyd a lil bit more, because he is slowly morphing into a loud mouthed clown!!!! :smh:

Exactly, even if Manny thinks he would beat the brakes off Duran and Salvador Sanchez and Henry Armstrong, he keeps his lid shut. And regardless of who Arum puts in front of him and keeps him away from - that's about money and business, I think win or lose Pac would fight Paul Williams and anybody else if that's who Arum put in front of him. I swear one day this whole shit is just gonna collapse on Floyd, money-wise, legacy-wise, everything, I really hope not, but Karma is a mufucca. The fates might intervene and Pac will be standing over that ninja with the ref waving the fight over. He's really tempting fate here.:smh:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
WTF is Mayweather's problem.... The fight is not happening, the very least this dick could do is tell us why he fucked us out of the fight instead of this bullshit.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
The first article was really good (a "bully"? What are we, in third grade?) and I think fairly took Floyd to task for his part in this fight not happening but mainly for the weirdness that's happened since. Calling Ellerbe a sycophant is a little harsh. He's doing his job and pushing the "Mayweather" brand and image.

The second one...eh. This will be an interesting story 5-10 years from now when some time allows people to speak honestly and freely.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Ultimately I feel like it comes down to 2 things:

1. I sincerely believe Floyd doesn't want this fight.
2. I believe he is shown chinks in his false bravato because with his insecurities he is also fearful of not being able to conduct the kind of focused camp he will need with all of the distractions which will be caused by his uncles tax and legal problems.

Just say that and be done with it!!! :smh:

dawg9

Potential Star
Registered

2. I believe he is shown chinks in his false bravato because with his insecurities he is also fearful of not being able to conduct the kind of focused camp he will need with all of the distractions which will be caused by his uncles tax and legal problems.

Blah blah blah... The day will come when Floyd will whup that ass and yall cats will be working on your next set of excuses as to why Manny looked so horrible against him... I'm holding out hope that Roger will be exonerated in August and Floyd and Manny will throw some step aside dough at Margocheato and make the fight happen in November.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Blah blah blah... The day will come when Floyd will whup that ass and yall cats will be working on your next set of excuses as to why Manny looked so horrible against him... I'm holding out hope that Roger will be exonerated in August and Floyd and Manny will throw some step aside dough at Margocheato and make the fight happen in November.

Agreed. Floyd has historically taken on all comers so why start doubting him now? The Mosley fight is barely over and people are already on this kid's case. Leave May alone, he's had a hectic fight schedule. He shouldn't even have to fight Manny or anyone else anyway because everyone knows he'll just win.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

1. Other than Pacquiao and Mosely, there wasn't a good reason for him to come back. We know he had some tax issues and he lives a very extravagant lifestyle and he could only fix one and continue the other with big money fights. While a great boxer, setting him up, promotion wise, for Pacquiao is the only real reason he could have to fight Marquez.

2. I think there is a lot of legitimacy to this, though I'd prefer to hear it from him or at least a knowledgeable source and not the always duplicitous Arum.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Agreed. Floyd has historically taken on all comers so why start doubting him now? The Mosley fight is barely over and people are already on this kid's case. Leave May alone, he's had a hectic fight schedule. He shouldn't even have to fight Manny or anyone else anyway because everyone knows he'll just win.

'Taking on all comers...' Floyd who? ... Paterson??? :lol:

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
1. Other than Pacquiao and Mosely, there wasn't a good reason for him to come back. We know he had some tax issues and he lives a very extravagant lifestyle and he could only fix one and continue the other with big money fights. While a great boxer, setting him up, promotion wise, for Pacquiao is the only real reason he could have to fight Marquez.

2. I think there is a lot of legitimacy to this, though I'd prefer to hear it from him or at least a knowledgeable source and not the always duplicitous Arum.

Frankly if his concern is his uncles situations... I could stomach that. I understand not wanting to go into possibly my biggest fight without my trainer for the past 10+ years. even if the alternative is his father, there are definitely some nuances that he's developed with his uncle that do not exist with his Father. Plus, think about all the drama that would follow if he was to dominate Manny with his father as his trainer and big floyd starts talking shit about being better than roger, etc? I'm sure floyd doesn't want to deal with that and even speaking about it now would cause drama. All a writer needs to as is 'well what about floyd sr.?' Drama! These are the types of corners you back yourself into when you have a big ass mouth though!

dawg9

Potential Star
Registered
I honestly don't think Big Floyd is even an option right now to train Floyd... If you notice the other interview I posted, his health is starting to get pretty bad. To the point he's talking about not being around much longer. He has the same lung disease Bernie Mac had. Sad stuff.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Frankly if his concern is his uncles situations... I could stomach that. I understand not wanting to go into possibly my biggest fight without my trainer for the past 10+ years. even if the alternative is his father, there are definitely some nuances that he's developed with his uncle that do not exist with his Father. Plus, think about all the drama that would follow if he was to dominate Manny with his father as his trainer and big floyd starts talking shit about being better than roger, etc? I'm sure floyd doesn't want to deal with that and even speaking about it now would cause drama. All a writer needs to as is 'well what about floyd sr.?' Drama! These are the types of corners you back yourself into when you have a big ass mouth though!

Yep to all of this.
Like I said before, this will be a very interesting story in a few years, whether the fight happens or not. With people like this involved, the whole truth will come out.

I honestly don't think Big Floyd is even an option right now to train Floyd... If you notice the other interview I posted, his health is starting to get pretty bad. To the point he's talking about not being around much longer. He has the same lung disease Bernie Mac had. Sad stuff.

Yep to this too.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I agree... so why didn't Floyd just come out and say I need to see what happens with my trainer instead of the bullshit. I know most of these silly niggas would still say he is scared but this "no negotiations" shit is weak.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So lemme get this straight:

The info so far suggests that they DID have a negotiation, but Floyd wouldn't back off of the complete random drug testing, so the negotiations completely stalled...

If that's the case, then I gotta side with Pac, but I can't really blame Floyd for what he's doing.

Floyd is good at using every element at his disposal to defeat his opponent. For him, the battle begins at the negotiation for the fight. He does what he has to do to gain every bit of control over every aspect of the battle. This is not by any means a new tactic. This is Sun Tzu's Art-of-War strategy: well-documented, well-studied, and proven VERY effective. It worked perfectly against Mosely, especially the way he waited an extra long time before entering the ring, a tactic made famous by legendary Samurai Miyamoto Musashi. Floyd controls all aspects of the battle, forcing his enemy to take big risks to try and gain the upper hand, which results in their defeat.

The problem with this is that this is boxing, which is a SPORT. This isn't Afghanistan. We are a privileged society in that we can pay to see two men battle simply for sport, but the sport is only good when the battle stays in the ring, not in the locker room or at the negotiation table. Boxing doesn't have any real governing body, however, so there's nothing in place to stop Floyd from exercising all of his advantages. Pac, then, has no choice but to refuse to be dictated to. He obviously knows what Floyd is doing. If he gives Floyd his cornbread, there's no telling what Floyd will take next. This is an alpha-male struggle.

I don't see this fight happening until Floyd respects Pacquiao as a man outside the ring, stops trying to gain leverage, and focuses on the battle inside the ring.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered

Yeah but that lung condition hasn't stopped him from sucking in enough oxygen...just BARELY enough oxygen to get JUST enough wind in his damn lung to keep saying REAL stupid shit and continually making an ass out of himself though! :lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Yeah but that lung condition hasn't stopped him from sucking in enough oxygen...just BARELY enough oxygen to get JUST enough wind in his damn lung to keep saying REAL stupid shit and continually making an ass out of himself though! :lol:

That doesn't take much wind, though.:D

callbacc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Corrales,Gatti,Hatton,Delahoya,Judah,Mosley,Corley, Manfredy,Castillo,Marquez
Damn Floyd now I guess you know
how it feel to be a laker

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-floydducking072710

Interesting article. I know Don King has been courting PBF. But dude does not want to fight.

At this point if Floyd just doesn't want to fight anymore, that's his choice and understandable, just say so and get it over with. All of this posturing is really making him look bad and suspect, and it just might be he doesn't want to fight, not just Manny, but period...

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
At this point if Floyd just doesn't want to fight anymore, that's his choice and understandable, just say so and get it over with. All of this posturing is really making him look bad and suspect, and it just might be he doesn't want to fight, not just Manny, but period...

co sign.... The nigga has never been this quiet, and all these spokes man jumping out there is stupid. If the nigga is done, he should just say so, but everyone wants Pac v PBF and he will feel that pressure.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
co sign.... The nigga has never been this quiet, and all these spokes man jumping out there is stupid. If the nigga is done, he should just say so, but everyone wants Pac v PBF and he will feel that pressure.

This silence isn't a good idea, public relations wise but when they do talk, the shit gets even crazier. When he's "retired" before, he said outright, so I doubt that's it. If it's his uncle's legal problems say so. If there was some hangup in the negotiations or he wants a bigger cut in his copromotional deal with GB, say so.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
What was interesting about that article? It stated the same stuff that has been posted here a hundred times by now... There was nothing new in there.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I think the article explains it best. PBF just doesn't want manny. Hbo was working with both sides for 2 months. That is crazy. I can't think of why he wouldn't want to fight a guy him and his camp feels so sure they can beat for record money.this is the strangest case of a fight not being made I have ever seen.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I think the article explains it best. PBF just doesn't want manny. Hbo was working with both sides for 2 months. That is crazy. I can't think of why he wouldn't want to fight a guy him and his camp feels so sure they can beat for record money.this is the strangest case of a fight not being made I have ever seen.

:smh: nigga how old is this information? Nothing new was stated in this article, there was no new perspective. Its like posting an article about Margarito's pads from last year....

What everyone is waiting for is for Floyd to speak up and address the situation, because so far nothing his team has stated has made any sense. :angry:

merce77

Star
Registered
Corrales,Gatti,Hatton,Delahoya,Judah,Mosley,Corley, Manfredy,Castillo,Marquez
Damn Floyd now I guess you know
how it feel to be a laker

Let's not do this again, half them niccas are second tier fighters and his biggest wins were about 10 years ago. Love how niccas always said Gatti was a bum until Floyd beat an OLD Gatti, then all of a sudden it was an accomplishment. And beating Marquez jumping TWO weightclasses was an accomplishment and beating Oscar who was done is an accomplishment too huh? And Judah coming off an embarassing loss to Baldomir and Corley who was just as much of a journeyman as Gatti and a glorified club fighter in Hatton.......you get the picture I'm sure. Manfredy, Corrales and the Castillo rematch were a LONG time ago.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
:smh: nigga how old is this information? Nothing new was stated in this article, there was no new perspective. Its like posting an article about Margarito's pads from last year....

What everyone is waiting for is for Floyd to speak up and address the situation, because so far nothing his team has stated has made any sense. :angry:

Lol, you remind me of my ex. Hasn't my lack of response shown you that I am ignoring you?

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Lol, you remind me of my ex. Hasn't my lack of response shown you that I am ignoring you?

:lol: you can ignore me dude. Your posts are still ass and the fact that I pointed the shit out time over time is probably why you ignore me.