Martinez targets Pacman, Floyd

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Martinez targets Pacman, Floyd
“If Manny is willing to defend his WBC super welterweight title, I would come down to 154 pounds to challenge him for it as well as allow him to challenge me for my WBC middleweight title,” says WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. “It would be the opportunity of a lifetime. But I’m a realist and if he feels that he is physically too small to fight me I certainly understand that too.”

Promoter Lou DiBella added “Sergio is willing to fight next at 154 pounds — defending his WBC middleweight title as well as fighting for the WBC super welterweight title which would be vacated by Manny Pacquiao. That’s a pretty big concession, but if that’s what it takes to get Floyd Mayweather Jr., the WBC’s emeritus super welterweight champion, in the ring with him, Sergio is ready, willing and able….the fans deserve Martinez vs. Mayweather and boxing needs it to continue its growth into the mainstream. I can work with any promoter to make the best fight with Sergio. It’s business – good business – and common sense.”

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Would love to see either of those fights but neither Pacman or Floyd is going to fuck with Sergio...especially after that left hook he gave PW.

Ive said I thought he would give floyd way more problems that PW would.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Yes, i know he has a lost. But I think sergio is the number boxing in the world. Him versus manny would be insane. Both guys like to attack and that makes for entertaining fights. Granted i know that is frowned on around here, but matchups like this are rare. I hope they make this fight. I think it is an awesome fight. I expect manny to lose, butit would be dope.

However, what is going to happen is pbf fighting pwill with the winner fighting sergio. I seriously just dont think manny and pbf will fight. Even with after pbf loses the fight with pwill if they wont meet. But pwill and pbf are next. Sergio is not going to get that fight with manny. Even though it would be dope.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Question: if Pac or Floyd take this fight and get their head knocked off, does Martinez gets props? Does he get props for calling out smaller guys?

merce77

Star
Registered
Question: if Pac or Floyd take this fight and get their head knocked off, does Martinez gets props? Does he get props for calling out smaller guys?

In a sense yes - he's coming down AND putting his titles on the line. He's a small middleweight who started at 147, if he can still compete at 154, so be it. I mean cats would have been heaping praise on Williams for dropping down to 147 and beating...say, Floyd. Why not Sergio when he's smaller than Williams? I can see him knocking Manny's ass out, Manny jumps in and throws a lot of wild shots and leaves himself wide open for counters. It would be a much tougher fight for Sergio with Floyd but I can see him getting a narrow points victory there too. He's a southpaw, skilled, very mobile, good footwork, quick hands, and has one punch ko power. The only viable fights for Martinez are at 154-160. 168 is a big stretch like middleweight is for Floyd, even at a catchweight.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

Depending on how the fights go. If he just lands some nasty left hook and KOs one of them it wouldnt go as long as actually outboxing them.....especially with Floyd.

merce77

Star
Registered
Depending on how the fights go. If he just lands some nasty left hook and KOs one of them it wouldnt go as long as actually outboxing them.....especially with Floyd.

But like I said, that's a double standard, I bet you cats all over would be giving Paul Williams much props if he did the same thing, and he's bigger than Sergio. I still think PBF is going to fight Williams before he ever goes near Martinez. I don't see Sergio getting either fight. Bob Arum already said no fucking way to a fight for Manny with Sergio and Floyd is just......who the fuck knows.:dunno::smh: To me you don't get props for calling out smaller guys to come up in weight to you, but if you're the one dropping down, why not?

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered

I can't front, I would respect Dude, but he wouldn't get a whole lot of respect because of the smaller Dude issue.... really a no win proposition for him unfortunately... but as much as I respect him as a trainer, Freddie Roach would NEVER take this fight, NEVER, and Floyd, fugettaboutit!!!! TOO MUCH RISK for either of them. Quite honestly, I see Manny continuing to Cherry pick unless he can get Floyd, but honestly, I think flow is really losing it mentally, so I don't see him being around to ever fight Manny, might end up in Jail first. Sad thing is, we are talking about Floyd the fighter, but all of the family issues, Pops spending so much time in Jail, etc. (not to give a pass to him because I know a lot of Dude's with similar issues who kept it together), I think Floyd may be devolving a little bit. Fuck Boxing, I wish him the best at sorting out his life (sorry for the PSA, I just felt the moment... :D)

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
But like I said, that's a double standard, I bet you cats all over would be giving Paul Williams much props if he did the same thing, and he's bigger than Sergio.

They both would get props for beating PBF or Pacman...but if it becomes obvious that he is just too big for either of them, it would effect my opinion since Sergio has a naturally larger and more powerful build that Paul Williams. Williams is trapped in that tall ass body but dude is thin as a rail. I think Sergio could give Floyd problems with his stance and movement.

I guess it would just depend on the weight....

I think Sergio would KO Pacman..

but yeah... he wont get either of those fights anyway. Top Rank wont put Pacman in with a fighter like that who could make Pacman look really badly..

Floyd would cry about Sergio not being a draw :smh:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
In a sense yes - he's coming down AND putting his titles on the line. He's a small middleweight who started at 147, if he can still compete at 154, so be it. I mean cats would have been heaping praise on Williams for dropping down to 147 and beating...say, Floyd. Why not Sergio when he's smaller than Williams? I can see him knocking Manny's ass out, Manny jumps in and throws a lot of wild shots and leaves himself wide open for counters. It would be a much tougher fight for Sergio with Floyd but I can see him getting a narrow points victory there too. He's a southpaw, skilled, very mobile, good footwork, quick hands, and has one punch ko power. The only viable fights for Martinez are at 154-160. 168 is a big stretch like middleweight is for Floyd, even at a catchweight.

Wow. Either you give Floyd too much credit or maybe I just give him too little. I see Martinez as Floyd's nightmare. A big southpaw, probably just as fast as him, who he won't be able to hurt, who is in his prime, etc. Just on styles and physicality alone I see Floyd getting obliterated. Floyd plays too much defense to keep a guy like Sergio off him IMO.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Wow. Either you give Floyd too much credit or maybe I just give him too little. I see Martinez as Floyd's nightmare. A big southpaw, probably just as fast as him, who he won't be able to hurt, who is in his prime, etc. Just on styles and physicality alone I see Floyd getting obliterated. Floyd plays too much defense to keep a guy like Sergio off him IMO.

that's how I see it. I don't think either guy can beat sergio. Manny is too small, but then again. He can prove me wrong. I think sergio would make pbf either run or fight. And pbf can only beat sergio if he runs.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

Wow we are talking about middle weights or at least guys that started at welter fighting guys who at least were at feather. You guy talk that weight shit but okay

If the fight is at 154 the only way Floyd has a chance is to run and Manny won't go to 154... He would pull that catch weight shit and he pretty much would have to do the same cause he would be trading with guys who can land multiple punches on him. Neither Floyd/Manny will KO Williams or Martinez but both Floyd/Manny are able to get KO.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
A big southpaw, probably just as fast as him, .

Are you serious. Sergio...who I have been giving props for a while on bgol, is nowhere near as fast as PBF. I think his southpaw stance could give Floyd problems initially, but Sergio is used to being the better BOXER in a lot of his fights...and that wouldnt be the case here. Plus...he lives on counterpunching and you wont win trying to beat Floyd on counterpunching.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Would love to see either of those fights but neither Pacman or Floyd is going to fuck with Sergio...especially after that left hook he gave PW.

Ive said I thought he would give floyd way more problems that PW would.

I agree with all of this and I think Sergio would give Manny more trouble with Floyd. He drops his hands too much for my taste and he would get hit a lot with either but these fights aren't going to happen. He may be willing to fight at 154 but neither of them is going to fight higher than 150. Seeing how he came into the Williams rematch at 168, that's almost 20 lbs he would have to shed.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I agree with all of this and I think Sergio would give Manny more trouble with Floyd. He drops his hands too much for my taste and he would get hit a lot with either but these fights aren't going to happen. He may be willing to fight at 154 but neither of them is going to fight higher than 150. Seeing how he came into the Williams rematch at 168, that's almost 20 lbs he would have to shed.

Exactly and with Martinez, it's not like he's has the kind of physique where he can shed that kind of weight healthily, as his body fat is already very low. It would hurt him in a lot of ways, and at this point, even though he definitely could use this type of payday, at 35-36 it is too late in life for those types of weight drops. There are enough fights in and around his immediately weight class, and I would make him a favorite over a lot of fighters, with the possible exception of Bute, so I would definitely chill if I were him.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Exactly and with Martinez, it's not like he's has the kind of physique where he can shed that kind of weight healthily, as his body fat is already very low. It would hurt him in a lot of ways, and at this point, even though he definitely could use this type of payday, at 35-36 it is too late in life for those types of weight drops. There are enough fights in and around his immediately weight class, and I would make him a favorite over a lot of fighters, with the possible exception of Bute, so I would definitely chill if I were him.
cosign all of the above

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Are you serious. Sergio...who I have been giving props for a while on bgol, is nowhere near as fast as PBF. I think his southpaw stance could give Floyd problems initially, but Sergio is used to being the better BOXER in a lot of his fights...and that wouldnt be the case here. Plus...he lives on counterpunching and you wont win trying to beat Floyd on counterpunching.

It is hard to say he wouldnt be the better boxer. We have seen sergio in more fights fights with people in their prime than pbf. It is too diffificult not to say sergio isnt the better boxer. At least for me. The only way to know is to see the fight.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
We have seen sergio in more fights fights with people in their prime than pbf. .

Well...this part is true. Is this muthafucka Floyd gonna fight in 2011? is there even any speculation in regards to his next fight..i mean word from his camp?

merce77

Star
Registered
Well...this part is true. Is this muthafucka Floyd gonna fight in 2011? is there even any speculation in regards to his next fight..i mean word from his camp?

I think Floyd isn't fighting for a long while. He's getting up there in age too, shame, that nicca could have been looked at hands down as the greatest of this era but that window is closing fast.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It is hard to say he wouldnt be the better boxer. We have seen sergio in more fights fights with people in their prime than pbf. It is too diffificult not to say sergio isnt the better boxer. At least for me. The only way to know is to see the fight.

That's a shame considering Martinez more or less just came on the scene. PBF seems destined to become a legend of what could have been or a guy that many feel he hypothetically would have beaten so many people with ease but never proved it. In a sport like boxing, that hypothetical stuff is garbage. That's why I won't buy this stuff about Floyd having this superior master defense until I see him in there with someone in their prime with an exceptional offense. As you say, the only way to know is to see the fight.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Those fights would be the lick. But we can't even get PBF and Manny in a ring together so it'll be tough getting Sergio a fight with either. I've just about written off any fight with Floyd at all but a fight with Manny I could see happening before Floyd.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Those fights would be the lick. But we can't even get PBF and Manny in a ring together so it'll be tough getting Sergio a fight with either. I've just about written off any fight with Floyd at all but a fight with Manny I could see happening before Floyd.

You shouldn't. Arum as already shot down the idea of Manny fighting anymore jr. middleweight fights so the only way Sergio gets Manny in the ring is at 147. If Sergio was a bigger name, he would have more leverage but he isn't so he has to take whatever they offer him.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
You shouldn't. Arum as already shot down the idea of Manny fighting anymore jr. middleweight fights so the only way Sergio gets Manny in the ring is at 147. If Sergio was a bigger name, he would have more leverage but he isn't so he has to take whatever they offer him.

Sergio sounds very willing to drop weight to fight @ 154. Then he could fight at 147. Manny keeps creating new weight classes running from competition somebodies gotta catch him at one of them.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Sergio sounds very willing to drop weight to fight @ 154. Then he could fight at 147. Manny keeps creating new weight classes running from competition somebodies gotta catch him at one of them.

He probably is but neither Floyd nor Manny is going to fight him at 154.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

Manny does create weight classes, lmao. Damn you guys are funny. The stuff people make up and believe. 154 is doable, but manny still will come in under 150.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

That is a bigger deal that it may seem. That is dropping ANOTHER 5 percent of his body weight to get from 154 to 147.

Like someone said earlier...Sergio already have very low body fat...would be practically impossible for him to get down to 147 without being completely shot.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Is Manny ever going to give JMM the third fight? If he won't fight Floyd at least give me that shit. I thought Marquez got him both times and the way that whole shit was handled left me with a lot of unanswered questions.

merce77

Star
Registered
Is Manny ever going to give JMM the third fight? If he won't fight Floyd at least give me that shit. I thought Marquez got him both times and the way that whole shit was handled left me with a lot of unanswered questions.

What's funny about that is Roach said a couple days ago that a fight with Marquez is doable at 140. THE NEXT DAY - Manny said that the public isn't interested in seeing a 3rd fight with Marquez. It must take some steel fucking balls to let that fly out of your mouth when the public wanted an immediate rematch to the second fight and most insiders still insist Marquez won that fight. Both fights in fact.
I have an idea why, Manny has been feasting on easy fighters, his skills have stayed the same because of this, while Marquez, aside from the PBF fight - has looked stellar while dominating his division, he's even shown significant ko power in knocking out both Casamayor who'd never been, and Diaz who was known for his toughness and chin. All of this at lightweight where people said he was too small to fight at. After he ko's Katsidis, Manny will want even less of him. Manny know's exactly why he won't fight that dude, Marquez aside from PBF - would make him look normal and beatable again. JMM just has his number, he's a BOXER, Manny's been fighting stationary, slow footed dudes who tend to go to war when hit. Manny's like Roy Scheider in Jaws 2 - " I don't intend to go through that hell again".

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
What's funny about that is Roach said a couple days ago that a fight with Marquez is doable at 140. THE NEXT DAY - Manny said that the public isn't interested in seeing a 3rd fight with Marquez. It must take some steel fucking balls to let that fly out of your mouth when the public wanted an immediate rematch to the second fight and most insiders still insist Marquez won that fight. Both fights in fact.
I have an idea why, Manny has been feasting on easy fighters, his skills have stayed the same because of this, while Marquez, aside from the PBF fight - has looked stellar while dominating his division, he's even shown significant ko power in knocking out both Casamayor who'd never been, and Diaz who was known for his toughness and chin. All of this at lightweight where people said he was too small to fight at. After he ko's Katsidis, Manny will want even less of him. Manny know's exactly why he won't fight that dude, Marquez aside from PBF - would make him look normal and beatable again. JMM just has his number, he's a BOXER, Manny's been fighting stationary, slow footed dudes who tend to go to war when hit. Manny's like Roy Scheider in Jaws 2 - " I don't intend to go through that hell again".

The public????? Wow. Manny is on that bullshit. I understand that Floyd had his way with JMM but that has nothing to do with Pac, and the way Marquez was the last nigga to give Pac that wack-a-mole treatment.

merce77

Star
Registered
The public????? Wow. Manny is on that bullshit. I understand that Floyd had his way with JMM but that has nothing to do with Pac, and the way Marquez was the last nigga to give Pac that wack-a-mole treatment.

Yup and he's lucky Erik Morales wasn't in his prime still or he would have lost twice to him and seen no 3rd fight. This is why I smash Manny as hard as I do Floyd, he's just as much of a fraud, just in a different way. The public likes him and that's why there are no writers calling him out on his bullshit. If he was hated like Floyd, he'd be getting it just as bad as PBF. It's no wonder they wanna fight Mosley next - he's looked like shit in 2 straight fights. I hope Shane pulls one last great performance out of his ass and puts that lil mufucca out. I hope it backfires on them.

Me and my dad were actually talking about that Marquez/Pacquiao shit today. How Arum probably had something to do with Marquez getting robbed so they could position Manny to be the face of boxing. He did the same shit for Floyd in that first Castillo fight, my dad said, how are the majority of your punches landed jabs? How does the other guy out-land you in power connects by over 100? How do you lose the championship rounds TO THE CHAMPION and still get a decision? And Floyd went on to be the face of boxing and to his credit, beat Castillo soundly in a rematch. Arum has been around forever, you just can't beat the type of contacts dude has in this sport, his roots run too deep. Not even Golden Boy's money is fucking with Arum. This is a guy that has ADMITTED to paying off judges. Manny was going to win that 2nd fight no matter what. Marquez has to ko Manny in order to win a 3rd fight.:smh::smh:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Yup and he's lucky Erik Morales wasn't in his prime still or he would have lost twice to him and seen no 3rd fight. This is why I smash Manny as hard as I do Floyd, he's just as much of a fraud, just in a different way. The public likes him and that's why there are no writers calling him out on his bullshit. If he was hated like Floyd, he'd be getting it just as bad as PBF. It's no wonder they wanna fight Mosley next - he's looked like shit in 2 straight fights. I hope Shane pulls one last great performance out of his ass and puts that lil mufucca out. I hope it backfires on them.

Me and my dad were actually talking about that Marquez/Pacquiao shit today. How Arum probably had something to do with Marquez getting robbed so they could position Manny to be the face of boxing. He did the same shit for Floyd in that first Castillo fight, my dad said, how are the majority of your punches landed jabs? How does the other guy out-land you in power connects by over 100? How do you lose the championship rounds TO THE CHAMPION and still get a decision? And Floyd went on to be the face of boxing and to his credit, beat Castillo soundly in a rematch. Arum has been around forever, you just can't beat the type of contacts dude has in this sport, his roots run too deep. Not even Golden Boy's money is fucking with Arum. This is a guy that has ADMITTED to paying off judges. Manny was going to win that 2nd fight no matter what. Marquez has to ko Manny in order to win a 3rd fight.:smh::smh:

I have no interest in seeing Mosley fight after that Mora bullshit. Pac is better off fighting Marquez to close that chapter.

To bring it back to the main topic I would like to see Collazo v Martinez. I know Cotto is the next big fight for him but Cotto don't want it yet and Collazo is still hungry. I think a real slickster could show the versatility of Martinez and I think Collazo's style might make it a tougher fight then Cotto could.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes, i know he has a lost. But I think sergio is the number boxing in the world. Him versus manny would be insane. Both guys like to attack and that makes for entertaining fights. Granted i know that is frowned on around here, but matchups like this are rare. I hope they make this fight. I think it is an awesome fight. I expect manny to lose, butit would be dope.

However, what is going to happen is pbf fighting pwill with the winner fighting sergio. I seriously just dont think manny and pbf will fight. Even with after pbf loses the fight with pwill if they wont meet. But pwill and pbf are next. Sergio is not going to get that fight with manny. Even though it would be dope.

I think that fight would NOT interest me for style matchup reasons...for that matter i'd rather see him fight Shane Mosley. I can't STAND when people always run to throw in a BIGGER TALLER fighter with a little fighter...then that little fighter has to punch UP all night making it harder to keep up the pace. Punching up tiers a fighter..Match Sergio with a fighter closer to his size..someone at LEAST his weight...none of that i'll come down to your weight BS. I'd rather see Pacman fight smaller fighters so he gets back to KO'ing MoFo na mean.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That shit would be WILD... i would actually pay for that fight.
How the fuck can Sergio be number 1 in boxing? what are you smoking? He knocked out williams on a night WILLIAMS got sloppy..now im not saying if they fought the rubber match that williams is a sure WIN but C'mon people it's ONE WIN EACH...i wanna see WHO wins the rubber match..who knows maybe williams KO's THIS mofo next time..