Ice Cube's Big 3( 3 On 3 Basketball Official Thread)

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
C0YyXHAUAAAyVA7.jpg

gty_631496556_87902448.jpg

GAME DAY
The BIG3 season starts in the summer with the inaugural season beginning June, 2017. Regular season games will follow each Saturday for 10 weeks. Games are played on centered hardwood courts in the best arenas and venues in the country. Individual player introductions add a new level of personality to this team sport. Instead of a tip off, each game starts with a half-court do-or-die shootout. 4 games per day with fan events, halftime shows, exhibits and after-parties.

THE CONCEPT
The BIG3 is the American 3-on-3 professional basketball league. Combining superstar players and fan interaction before and after the games make this an exciting live experience. The entire league is operated and managed by the players. No outsiders. No politics. Just highly competitive basketball played as it’s meant to be.

THE GAMEPLAY

Half-court play and rules designed for competition and intensity. 3-on-3 basketball is the most popular format for training, practice and recreation because it is the most entertaining.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
By: Ted Berg | January 11, 2017 6:45 pm

NEW YORK — Ice Cube wasn’t done watching Kobe Bryant play basketball, so he created a new professional league where guys like Kobe Bryant can play basketball.

You can do stuff like that if you’re Ice Cube. But if Ice Cube weren’t the type of guy to fully dedicate himself to developing his ideas, he’d hardly be Ice Cube at all: Cube could have rested on his NWA laurels and faded into cultural obscurity a quarter-century ago, but instead started his own label and recorded a bunch of platinum-selling solo albums and got into acting and writing for film and ultimately turned himself into the full-blown Hollywood movie star he is today. So the man born O’Shea Jackson, now 47 years old but still operating under the handle he created as a teenager, is all-in on the BIG3, a new 3-on-3 pro basketball league he co-founded with partner Jeff Kwatinetz set to kick off on June 24.

Ice Cube and Kwatinetz had discussed the idea of a professional 3-on-3 half-court circuit in the past, but Bryant’s retirement at the end of the 2016 season hastened the efforts. The league will consist of eight teams of five players each, with notable former NBA stars including Allen Iverson, Kenyon Martin and Rashard Lewis — all of whom attended the league’s kick-off event in Manhattan on Wednesday — serving as player-coaches and selecting rosters full of their once and future colleagues.

“I had been thinking about this for a minute,” Ice Cube said, “but seeing Kobe retire just made me want to kick it into high gear, because I think he’s still got game. I started writing notes down, putting concepts and thoughts down.

“This started off as a dream. It sucks to see your favorite players retire. It’s a great business opportunity, but as a fan, I’m just excited to see the guys that I know can play at a competitive level, and I’m happy that I have the right type of partners to be able to set the stage for that. We grew up watching these guys. We’ve seen their ups and downs, we’ve seen them win games and they become part of our everyday life in some ways. And then we look up, and they’re gone. It’s like losing a family friend or a loved one. Ice Cube, I’ve got my heroes, too, and a lot of them play professional basketball.”

gty_631496556_87902448.jpg

(Left to right: Allen Iverson, Kenyon Martin; Roger Mason Jr., Jeff Kwatinetz, Ice Cube and Rashard Lewis (PHOTO: Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for BIG3)

BIG3 games will take place only once a week, on Saturdays throughout the summer. All four games every week will take place in the same location, with the location changing every week — Kwatinetz mentioned targeting cities like Seattle, no longer served by the NBA, as well as places like New York that could be expected to have an appetite for basketball in the summer months. Games will end whenever the first team reaches 60 points, and will incorporate a trio of 4-point circles beyond the traditional three-point line.

Though all involved stressed the emphasis on fostering competitive basketball, the weekly events will come with an entertainment component, with halftime shows, individualized player introductions, and opportunities for fans to mingle with players.

“It’s going to be a party,” Kwatinetz said.

Beyond the spectacle, there’s an interesting twist: The league will include no team owners, and teams will compete for the largest portion of the players’ share of the BIG3’s revenue, with the players and coach on the first-place team splitting 30% of the pool. Winnings for the second through eighth-place clubs will also be pursuant to their positions in the standings at the end of the season.

“I think a real milestone in the idea was when we thought of having no owners, and that the players would get in the revenue sharing,” Ice Cube said. “I think that was a moment when we thought, ‘Yo, this is not only a cool concept, but players can make a lot of money — especially if we built this pot how we know it can grow.’ So it just started looking like a great business model, and a great thing to put full effort into.”

“Our goal as a brand and my goal in this role will be to form the most player and fan-centric professional sports league,” said Roger Mason Jr., a former NBA player turned players union executive now serving as the BIG3’s president and commissioner. “The proof is in that payout structure. That was totally Cube and Jeff’s concept and idea. I thought it was brilliant — I thought it baked up what they said about this being a player’s league.”

gty_631496728_879024701.jpg

(Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for BIG3)

With Kwatinetz and Mason, Ice Cube played a huge and very hands-on role in developing the league, from determining the rules and payout structure to recruiting its player-coaches.

“Cube is a true icon, but what makes him special is the sincerity and authenticity,” Kwatinetz said. “He would never get behind something he doesn’t believe in, and that he wouldn’t devote tireless efforts to.”

“When I got the call, it was a no-brainer,” Iverson said. “It’s Ice Cube. It’s O’Shea. You don’t turn that down. That’s success looking right into your eyes. I just wanted to be a part of it, and I hope me being a part of it makes it a success, like everything that he’s been doing in his life.”

Asked about forthcoming projects in music or movies, Cube said his current focus is solely on basketball.

“All I can see is this right now, and making sure that this works,” he said. “June 24 will be here quick. I’ve got my head down. I know other people probably want me to get back into my movies and stuff like that, but this is my baby right now.”

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Notable players[edit]
The following former NBA and 1 Rec League players have agreed to play in the new league.

Coaches[edit]
[7]

Structure[edit]
There are a total of eight teams, all traveling teams. Each team's roster will include five players and one coach per team. There will be an eight-week regular season resulting in an eight game regular season, as all games are on Saturday with a week off between contests. Games will be weekly quadruple-headers, with each team playing one of the other teams, held in a different locale each week.[8] There will be one playoff game on week nine and a championship game on week ten. The Season will start in Brooklyn on June 25 and end in Las Vegas on August 26, and games will be played every Sunday.

Rules[edit]
  • Standard 2- and 3-point shots apply
  • Game is played on a half court
  • Exclusive 4-point shots when a player is touching any part of the "4 Point Circle”"
  • Additional free throw taken if a player is fouled while making a shot
  • A shooting foul will receive the number of shots corresponding to the missed attempt (2, 3, 4 points)
  • All personal fouls will be counted as team fouls: No foul outs.
  • On and after the 5th team foul (per half) opponents get 2 shots and ball possession
  • A technical foul results in two foul shots and the ball. Every technical foul after the first results in four foul shots and ball possession
  • First team to 60 points wins
  • Half-time happens after a team scores 30 points
  • Team must win by 4 points
  • Substitutions made on a dead ball or by calling time
  • After a made shot, referee must touch the ball. After giving the defense :03 seconds to set, losers (opposing team) must take ball beyond the top out of bounds line. Player has :05 seconds to return ball inbounds
  • Defensive rebounds (that touch the rim) must be cleared
  • The ball is cleared when the player with the ball establishes both feet behind the 3 point line. The ball can be cleared by dribbling or passing
  • The defensive rebounder that makes a direct pass that clears the ball, must clear the lane and re-establish himself before his team's shot or pass hits the rim
  • If a shot or pass hits the rim without being cleared it will result in a turnover
  • Once a team has cleared the ball and establishes itself on offense, the normal "3 seconds in the key" rule applies
  • There is no defensive "3 second" rule
  • Steals do not have to be cleared
  • Defensive rebounds that don’t touch the rim do not have to be cleared
  • Instant replay applies
  • All defensive strategies allowed
Teams[edit]

Team Coach Players[9]
3's Company
[10] Allen Iverson Allen Iverson (captain)
Dermarr Johnson (co-captain)
Andre Owens
Mike Sweetney
Ruben Patterson
3 Headed Monsters[11] Gary Payton Rashard Lewis (captain)
Jason Williams (co-captain)
Kwame Brown
Eddie Basden
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
Ball Hogs Rick Barry Brian Scalabrine (captain)
Josh Childress (co-captain)
Derrick Byars
Rasual Butler
Dominic McGuire
Ghost Ballers[12] George Gervin Mike Bibby (captain)
Ricky Davis (co-captain)
Mo Evans
Marcus Banks
Ivan Johnson
Killer 3s[13] Charles Oakley Chauncey Billups (captain)
Stephen Jackson (co-captain)
Charles Oakley (player/coach)
Reggie Evans
Larry Hughes
Brian Cook
Power[14] Clyde Drexler Corey Maggette (captain)
Cuttino Mobley (co-captain)
Jerome Williams
DeShawn Stevenson
Moochie Norris
Trilogy[15] Rick Mahorn Kenyon Martin (captain)
Al Harrington (co-captain)
Rashad McCants
James White
Dion Glover
Tri-State[16] Julius Erving Jermaine O'Neal (captain)
Bonzi Wells (co-captain)
Xavier Silas
Lee Nailon
Mike James

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
BIG3, Fox Sports Announce TV Contract for 3-on-3 League's Inaugural Season
TIM DANIELSMARCH 22, 2017

hi-res-93f7f07e62564d0a1ff0fc049b8feeae_crop_north.jpg

FREDERIC J. BROWN/Getty Images
BIG3, the new three-on-three professional basketball league, and Fox Sports announced an agreement Wednesday to air games from the league's inaugural season on Fox Sports 1, with the championship game being shown on the Fox network.

BIG3 founder Ice Cube confirmed the news during an appearance on Fox Sports 1's Undisputed.

"This is a big day for the BIG3," Ice Cube said. "We are very excited … we've been waiting for this day. It's extremely exciting to be here with Fox Sports. They definitely see the picture and see the great things we are trying to do."

The league isn't going to use a traditional format of home cities for each team. Instead, the squads will travel together to different locations for each week of the eight-game regular season, which will be followed by two weeks of postseason play to crown a champion.

The BIG3's first season will take place entirely during the NBA's offseason. It's scheduled to kick off June 25 and will conclude with the title game on Aug. 26, according to the release.

The announcement also included some of the league's unique rules, including a four-point shot and playing until one team reaches 60 rather than for a predetermined amount of time.

The BIG3's official website lists former NBA stars Allen Iverson, Chauncey Billups, Jermaine O'Neal, Rashard Lewis, Kenyon Martin and Mike Bibby among the team captains confirmed so far.

Iverson, one of the most dynamic players in NBA history, told reporters in January he decided to join the new league because it was "success looking right into your eyes." When asked who he wanted on his team, he chose a couple of former Los Angeles Lakers.

"Shaq and Kobe, that's a no-brainer," Iverson said.

Although O'Neal and Bryant aren't on the initial player list, it wouldn't be a surprise to see more high-profile names join AI if the first BIG3 campaign is a success. It's a short season that could help quench the competitive fire many athletes still have after leaving the game.

In the short term, Fox Sports announced the complete schedule and the team chosen to broadcast games will be made public in the near future.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
INSIDE: The BIG3 Draft Combine
02 May 2017
Last weekend, some of the best and most respected basketball players in the world flew into Las Vegas to take part in the BIG3 Draft Weekend. Some were confirmed player captains (like Chauncey Billups, Stephen Jackson, Jason Williams and Brian Scalabrine), some were coaches (like retired legends Julius "Dr. J" Erving, Gary Payton and Clyde Drexler), while most were recent NBA standouts ready to show that they deserve to get back on the court.

Saturday was the most pivotal and intense day of the draft process, the combine. The combine featured drills, match ups, shooting contests and high-intensity scrimmages that pitted superstars head-to-head for a chance to join a BIG3 squad. Check out these behind the scenes images from Saturday's action.

_RED1106.jpg

_RED1035.jpg

_RED0751.jpg

_RED1025.jpg

_RED0888.jpg

_RED1050.jpg

_RED1123.jpg

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
BIG3 TEAMS

CAPTAIN: ALLEN IVERSON
CO-CAPTAIN: DERMARR JOHNSON
ANDRE OWENS
MIKE SWEETNEY
RUBEN PATTERSON

PLAYER COACH: ALLEN IVERSON

CAPTAIN: RASHARD LEWIS
CO-CAPTAIN: JASON WILLIAMS
KWAME BROWN
EDDIE BASDEN
MAHMOUD ABDUL-RAUF

COACH: GARY PAYTON
logo-ballhogs.png

CAPTAIN: BRIAN SCALABRINE
CO-CAPTAIN: JOSH CHILDRESS
DERRICK BYARS
RASUAL BUTLER
DOMINIC MCGUIRE

COACH: RICK BARRY

CAPTAIN: CHAUNCEY BILLUPS
CO-CAPTAIN: STEPHEN JACKSON
REGGIE EVANS
LARRY HUGHES
BRIAN COOK

PLAYER COACH: CHARLES OAKLEY

CAPTAIN: KENYON MARTIN
CO-CAPTAIN: AL HARRINGTON
RASHAD MCCANTS
JAMES WHITE
DION GLOVER

COACH: RICK MAHORN

CAPTAIN: COREY MAGGETTE
CO-CAPTAIN: CUTTINO MOBLEY
JEROME WILLIAMS
DESHAWN STEVENSON
MOOCHIE NORRIS

COACH: CLYDE DREXLER

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
2017 BIG3 SEASON SCHEDULE

• June 25: Barclays Center | Brooklyn, New York
  • July 2: Spectrum Center | Charlotte, North Carolina
  • July 9: BOK Center | Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • July 16: Wells Fargo Center | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • July 23: Bridgestone Arena | Nashville, Tennessee
  • July 30: American Airlines Center | Dallas, Texas
  • August 6: Rupp Arena | Lexington, Kentucky
  • August 13: Staples Center | Los Angeles, California
  • August 20: Key Arena | Seattle, Washington (Playoffs)
  • August 26: T-Mobile Arena | Las Vegas, Nevada (Championship Finals)
BIG3 games will be played every Sunday in a different city, in a quadruple header at the same venue. Games will be presented the following night in primetime at 8 p.m. ET on FS1 in a thrilling “Monday Night Basketball” experience. The league championship will be played on Saturday, Aug. 26 and broadcast live on the FOX broadcast network at 4:30 p.m. ET. Tickets for most dates will go on sale May 6 at Ticketmaster.com.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
dope shit...maybe this can inspire NBA players to realize the power they have to create their own league...wishful thinking tho...logos look like the generic 2k joints when you make your own team lol...good shit tho @ cube

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
These half court 3-on-3 games are perfect for someone like Shaq.

Hopefully they can have games in Rucker Park or something like that.

Also Marbury should see if he can get into this.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
These half court 3-on-3 games are perfect for someone like Shaq.

Hopefully they can have games in Rucker Park or something like that.

Also Marbury should see if he can get into this.

marbury's name/likeness will ring out in china for years...the 3-on-3 league may not even survive a full television season...I don't see him feeling the need to jump on this...of course I could be wrong...maybe playing in a US market still means a lot to him

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
marbury's name/likeness will ring out in china for years...the 3-on-3 league may not even survive a full television season...I don't see him feeling the need to jump on this...of course I could be wrong...maybe playing in a US market still means a lot to him

He's trying to re-release his shoes in the US. Why not get the publicity?

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
He's trying to re-release his shoes in the US. Why not get the publicity?

true...plus last I heard the team he was w/ wanted him to coach not play so he quit...not sure if another team will pick him up over there due to his age...you right this maybe could be a return "home"

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
true...plus last I heard the team he was w/ wanted him to coach not play so he quit...not sure if another team will pick him up over there due to his age...you right this maybe could be a return "home"

He said he wanted to play one more year. The Nets would be stupid not to make a run at him. But in the meantime this would be a good look.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
Who is their PG? Even if he came off the bench a farewell tour in BK would be a nice send off. (Plus he used to play for that terrible franchise)

the nostalgia factor isn't that strong imo just to bring him back for the fuck of it

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
The 3 headed monsters look good based on their players. Iverson has Sweatney who's a bag man and Reuben (Kobe stopper) Patterson. Not sure too sure about Iverson's squad.

Reactions: LSN

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Wonder if Shawn Kemp is still able to ball. There was a video about 5 years ago of him smashing on dudes in a gym.