How has the Coronavirus impacted you directly, to this point?

daking181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Doubt I’m going to be going anywhere for my Anniversary next month. About to cancel my 2 week vacation

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
- Notable losses in RRSP portfolio (retirement investments).

- Dad's uncle has had a number of health issues the past month. Mid-80s. Stroke, dementia, etc. They're currently in Arizona and having a tough time figuring out when they'll return to Olympia, WA. They're usually in Arizona from January - May.

- Work in the health care field.

- A friend's health status & compromised immune system after 2 cancer battles in the past handful of years.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
We won't be cruising next month or going to see a play. Today, the boss sent me home. He said, "Look, if you're done doing what you had to do, and if you don't need to be there, go home. You're getting paid for it anyway!" And just like everyone else, portfolio's taking a beating.

Last edited:

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
Well, I have two Game beta tests for Lionsbridge, four surveys on Dscout, a $500 job on MTurk and a $250 remote focus group this week. I might do something, in my off time, that I haven't done in a very long time and fire up DealMachine since I just got authorized for their Google Maps integration. I can drive for dollars without leaving the house.

=====

For those of you stuck at home, Lionsbridge and Dscout are easy to sign up for. This will be my 4th and 5th game tests since I've signed up with LB at the beginning of February.

With LB, you beta test games on computer for about an hour and answer a short survey afterwards. You won't get rich but it's about $20 per test. You can sign up here. You must have a PayPal account for payment. Also, you'll a Steam account as well as they issue Steam codes to download the betas.

For Dscout, head to the app store for your phone and download it. You'll need a PayPal account to accept payments as well. The difference with Dscout is that you have to record yourself giving your opinions on stuff. Rewards can range from $20 to $1000 if you match the criteria they're looking for. Look presentable and speak naturally. I've made over $5K with them over the years. I even got a free pair of $200+ earplugs, a robot vacuum cleaner, in home access to smart GE washer/dryer and internet for a year.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Well, I have two Game beta tests for Lionsbridge, four surveys on Dscout, a $500 job on MTurk and a $250 remote focus group this week. I might do something, in my off time, that I haven't done in a very long time and fire up DealMachine since I just got authorized for their Google Maps integration. I can drive for dollars without leaving the house.

=====

For those of you stuck at home, Lionsbridge and Dscout are easy to sign up for. This will be my 4th and 5th game tests since I've signed up with LB at the beginning of February.

With LB, you beta test games on computer for about an hour and answer a short survey afterwards. You won't get rich but it's about $20 per test. You can sign up here. You must have a PayPal account for payment. Also, you'll a Steam account as well as they issue Steam codes to download the betas.

For Dscout, head to the app store for your phone and download it. You'll need a PayPal account to accept payments as well. The difference with Dscout is that you have to record yourself giving your opinions on stuff. Rewards can range from $20 to $1000 if you match the criteria they're looking for. Look presentable and speak naturally. I've made over $5K with them over the years. I even got a free pair of $200+ earplugs, a robot vacuum cleaner, in home access to smart GE washer/dryer and internet for a year.

Thanks for this! Thats one thing that I noticed when I was in the store last night. People were working together and speaking more so than I can ever remember. Random strangers speaking and talking about how there was no food there. It was kind of sad that it took something like this for people to be more cordial to each other, but its good to see. Thanks again!

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
I think your seeds are gonna be home for a lot longer that. I know this is going to be better, but first...

Agreed. I would not be surprised if kids end up being out for the rest of the calendar year. A former CDC head said that this could get as bad as half of the US population. In the meantime, a vaccine is being tested, but isn't expected to be available for 1-1.5 years.

Just marinate on that for a minute. Scary time, fam.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
Lol

Ain't no virus doing that...

The chess players just playing chess..

And the pawns just doin what they do...

‘Nah these are checker players trying to play chess, instead of watching the news and reputable sources they are following social media trends and listening to people saying “they know somebody that know somebody who works at this place that heard somebody say”. The discussion about this virus has been around since the beginning of the year and we’ve had cases in the U.S. since January and life has gone as normal then ONE NBA player tested positive for it and all hell broke out. When the NBA suspended their season it caused a landslide of overreaction that has just down schools, jobs, and made people stock up on TOILET PAPER.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
‘Nah these are checker players trying to play chess, instead of watching the news and reputable sources they are following social media trends and listening to people saying “they know somebody that know somebody who works at this place that heard somebody say”. The discussion about this virus has been around since the beginning of the year and we’ve had cases in the U.S. since January and life has gone as normal then ONE NBA player tested positive for it and all hell broke out. When the NBA suspended their season it caused a landslide of overreaction that has just down schools, jobs, and made people stock up on TOILET PAPER.

knee jerkin niggas....

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
FCA had already scheduled a layoff for us like a few weeks ago so I'm off for the next two weeks but it might end up being longer because we have at least 17 to 1800 people a shift. I've seen several dudes who go to the bathroom and don't wash their hands... :smh:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Agreed. I would not be surprised if kids end up being out for the rest of the calendar year. A former CDC head said that this could get as bad as half of the US population. In the meantime, a vaccine is being tested, but isn't expected to be available for 1-1.5 years.

Just marinate on that for a minute. Scary time, fam.
Bruh, it took Italy 6 weeks to go from case #1 to complete shutdown. Six fucking weeks!!! Conversely, this country acted like this was no big deal for 4 weeks, and we STILL have people taking selfies in crowded places and saying this is no big deal, and now they've discover that this shit can remain airborne for up to 3 hours.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bruh, it took Italy 6 weeks to go from case #1 to complete shutdown. Six fucking weeks!!! Conversely, this country acted like this was no big deal for 4 weeks, and we STILL have people taking selfies in crowded places and saying this is no big deal, and now they've discover that this shit can remain airborne for up to 3 hours.
They said one major problem with Italy was that people still gathered in large groups despite being told not to do so. :smh:

I wish our country would stress how to deal with the elderly, because far too many people lack common sense. Told the old to not come outside, but ain't stressing how fam can take safeguards to supply them. Definitely don't go inside their homes. Drop shit off on the porch, in the garage, or outside the apartment door. Have them disinfect it. There are just far too many people who will be mild and/or asymptomatic carriers and they will infect the vulnerable populations.

When dealing with older loved ones, assume you're infected.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Working from home; can’t go out publicly because of health risk to family and self; retirement down well over six digits; can’t take my mom, who just had another close friend die Sunday, out to celebrate her 75th bday this week. Can’t even take her to the funeral out of town because she’s also at risk because of health and age. Only good thing is I have enough food, supplies and liquor for a few months.

Also had free courtside NBA seats for a game next week but that seems trivial under the current circumstances. Was taken my mom, a three time cancer survivor, with me to celebrate the bday and all she’s overcome.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
That's what me and the wife are doing. We're not visiting her mom or my pops for a while. Neither of them live alone, so they'll be straight as long as those that live with them don't be stupid. As for your former point, we've still got people taking selfies in attendance of large gatherings, because to them, it's still a game.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
I work by myself so I am good but I have to be careful when I go to the store or the gas station

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
Here are some more survey, focus groups and tasks sites that I check everyday several times a day. I'm rejected a lot more than I'm accepted but when I get in, they pay well. The majority of them are remote and only require a webcam/mic where a surveyor asks you direct questions, using a program like Zoom, or you participate in an online focus group with about four other people. A minority of them are UX/UI tests where you navigate a web page and point out things you like and don't like while speaking during the recorded session. Most of them pay via PayPal (most within 7 days), but some will send you a paper check.

===== Surveys and focus groups =====
https://www.sidehustlenation.com/consumer-research-companies-online-focus-groups/ (where it all got started for me)
https://www.facebook.com/AccelerantRecruiting/
https://findfocusgroups.com/
https://participant.facilitymanagerplus.com/ParticipantSignup.aspx
https://mindswarms.com/
https://app.respondent.io/signup
https://www.facebook.com/surveyfeeds/
https://twitter.com/Survey_Squad
https://www.userinterviews.com/projects/browse
https://watchlab.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PlazaResearch/
https://minds.testable.org/browse
https://usermuse.com/#/open-projects

===== Testing websites (recording speaking) =====

https://www.loop11.com/get-paid-to-test-websites/
https://validately.com/
https://www.usertesting.com/be-a-user-tester

=======

Finally, my mom just received the dreaded email that I told her that was coming that mystery shopping would be cancelled due to Covid-19. She averaged about $500-$800/month doing that for about 8-10 hours of her time. Dad? He doesn't care as long as Sam and little Sam sends his retirement/disability checks.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sorry to those going thru it right now , felt bad telling my mom that because of her age (80) and the virus and my line of work (MTA Bus Driver) I wont be able to visit until this blows over . other then that its business as usual .

you drive in manhattan if so which route??

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I wish our country would stress how to deal with the elderly, because far too many people lack common sense. Told the old to not come outside, but ain't stressing how fam can take safeguards to supply them. Definitely don't go inside their homes. Drop shit off on the porch, in the garage, or outside the apartment door. Have them disinfect it. There are just far too many people who will be mild and/or asymptomatic carriers and they will infect the vulnerable populations.

Well said, GC.

Mr.Mojo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Got some kinda sickness Friday. Small Dry cough in the day to Holy shit God help me at night. I coughed so much my stomach muscles were sore as fuck. Had muscle pain In my neck and shoulders. Fever and chills too. Ate a bunch of raw garlic, took vitamin c and d. Put lemon and lime juice in my water and took cold and flu med's. I feel way better but not quite all the way there yet.

Boss lady said I can't go back to work without a doctors note. Has to be cleared I'm not infected with covid 19.only one more day of pto and the company I work for sucks ass so I don't expect any free checks anytime soon.bastards.

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
Gawd Damn!

Looks like it's going to be a fantastic day on MTurk until my requester sends that big job tomorrow or Wednesday.

H9I6yVi.png

Damn near every survey is Covid-19 related. My hourly rate is above $26 currently.

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
We've been on telework since last Friday. I work downtown near the WH and didn't see as many chinese tourists out which is a big change. Normally there are bus loads but it started to look like when the government shut down a while back.

I have been taking my time to clean my crib (even sanitized my cars' surfaces) and just catch up on movies. Really not much to do besides wait. Keeping WSJ and Yahoo Finance open so I can watch the market move.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
They said one major problem with Italy was that people still gathered in large groups despite being told not to do so. :smh:
My younger brother has been living in Madrid/Spain the last 4+ years and he said this is (and the fact that they have different hygiene habits) is the reason Coronavirus has spread so rapidly in Europe.

Culturally, they have group gatherings and dont wash as much as we do in the states. Also, damn near everyone smokes, so their lungs are already shitty.

My brother has quarantined himself trying to stay away from everyone. Smh he's in the wrong place to be as OCD as he is already.

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
Got some kinda sickness Friday. Small Dry cough in the day to Holy shit God help me at night. I coughed so much my stomach muscles were sore as fuck. Had muscle pain In my neck and shoulders. Fever and chills too. Ate a bunch of raw garlic, took vitamin c and d. Put lemon and lime juice in my water and took cold and flu med's. I feel way better but not quite all the way there yet.

Boss lady said I can't go back to work without a doctors note. Has to be cleared I'm not infected with covid 19.only one more day of pto and the company I work for sucks ass so I don't expect any free checks anytime soon.bastards.

Crazy because I had a illness that hit me hard in December. I thought it was just my sinuses acting up like they do every year. Post nasal drip, coughing with phlegm but it cleared in about 3 days.

This is exactly the reason why I have been vigilant on staying away from sick folks. Bitch on the subway was sitting behind me and kept coughing without covering her mouth. I almost said something but got up and went to the other end of the train. Also, I've tried to keep my distance from kids but you can't help it. Them little fucks in the store are always coughing and touching shit without covering their mouths. It's going to be rough couple of months.

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
Naw Kinsfolk... that ain't how shit work...don't develop tunnel vision...always remember life is a tunnel..but in the end we go through shit to be humble...I can promise you .. I was just like that...but I can guarantee you... your comeup.. is right around the corner...always remember how you are now...and respect everybody situation... when you get success...good luck ..brah
G shit