HBO's True Detective Premiers tonight

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Season 2 wasn't that bad
It wasn't dark like the first season, it was more like a gangster story.
This season looks like it's going to be dark like the first season.

Season 2 got a bad wrap because people expected spooky shit like the first one
they didn't like it because it wasn't exactly like the first one.
the second season was a flat out gangster story. it was actually good if you didn't go into EXPECTING the same thing done.
i honestly feel most people felt like season 2 would be a continuation of season 1 and when it wasn't they just hated everything about it.

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
great start
got the problem double resolutions and a captivating story. they brought back some of the ritualistic nature from the first one already. they didn't hide the racial undertones of being in arkansas in the 70's
all in
The pedo ring is talked about again

Creator is gonna piss some people off like Stanley did with eyes wide shut

Wayne’s wife is so damn fine

Love seein the black families whole

I see the son is frustrated with dads memory. My mom has a bit showin, it is hard to deal with.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://www.avclub.com/mahershala-ali-graces-the-weight-of-true-detective-with-1831714802

https://screenrant.com/true-detective-season-3-rotten-tomatoes-score-reviews/

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-...son-3-the-great-war-and-modern-memory-776251/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/true_detective/s03

https://www.avclub.com/tag/true-detective

True-Detective-season-3-trailer-with-Mahershala-Ali.jpg

Riggz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Alright...yall convinced me. I'll give season 2 a shot. I got it saved just never watched it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
True Detective Season 3 Is In The Same World As Season 1
ADVERTISING

True Detective returns with season 3 after spending the last few years off the air, and the first few episodes have already revealed the story's (brief) connection to season 1. True Detective season 3 sees a story unfold in three time periods; in 1980, two children go missing in Arkansas, and it’s up to Mahershala Ali’s state detective Wayne Hays to investigate. In the 1990, shocking new evidence is brought to light that changes everything. Finally, in 2015, a much older Hays is being interviewed for a true crime series about the case.

The latter timeline takes place three years after the "modern" events of True Detective season 1. It's in this time period that the dots between the two seasons are somewhat connected - or, at least, are implied to exist in the same universe. A key part of True Detective’s new mystery is some creepy straw dolls left at the crime scene. Elisa Montgomery (Sarah Gadon), the woman fronting the documentary, explains to Hays how the case has caught attention online. She adds: "It's been theorized that the straw dolls are a sign of pedophile groups, like the crooked spiral."

Related: What's The Theme Music For True Detective Season 3?

It’s a fleeting moment, but one that's likely to make ears prick up. True Detective may have debuted five years ago, but its story and imagery are memorable. Chief among them are the pedophile ring, and the spiral patterns that kept on cropping up across the season. A big part of True Detectiveseason 1’s success was how it drove viewers to speculate online. The spirals were a major factor within those fan theories. It’s unlikely that mention of the spirals will lead to a more tangible connection. While Matthew McConaughey has previously said he’d be up for a return, season 3 is very much doing its own thing. This reference confirms the new season is set in the same universe as True Detective season 1, which itself is interesting and a neat touch from Nic Pizzolatto, but it won’t be much more than that.

ADVERTISING

The story of McConaughey's Rust Cohle and Woody Harrelson's Marty Hart is done, but it’s intriguing to see the impact that story made in-universe. Three years on, and in a different state, the crimes are still remembered. Indeed, based on the meta framing device of the documentary, it could even be that the story of the Yellow King has been the subject of its own documentary, which itself could be referenced later on in True Detective season 3.

This fits with how many anthology series have connected their universes. Black Mirror, for example, tells standalone stories, but numerous Easter eggs have suggested Black Mirror shared universe exists in some form. More similarly, Fargo (which first aired the same year as True Detective), tells stories that serve as different chapters from the same book. True Detective’sapproach here is reminiscent of that. Given the success of True Detective season 1, and the need to win back the fans, it makes sense to connect back here. It’s also a clever way of ensuring viewers will be theorizing about the straw dolls, without being overtly baiting theories. It won’t change the story, but should please fans as it loops back around to season 1. Time really is a flat circle after all.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
jefferey wright soo n to be ex wife. the way ali was looking at her in the hallway at the school and she looking at him at the bar, that sexual energy was heavy.

Thanks for the info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Wright#Personal_life

Wright married actress Carmen Ejogo in August 2000. They have a son named Elijah and a daughter named Juno and lived in Brooklyn, New York.[6][7][8][9] They have since divorced.[10] In 2004, Wright received an honorary degree from his alma mater, Amherst College.[11]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Ejogo#Personal_life

Spouse(s)
Tricky
(m. 1998; div. 1998)

Jeffrey Wright
(m. 2000; div. 2014)

Ejogo was born on 22 October 1973 in Kensington, London, England. She is the daughter of a Scottish mother, Elizabeth (née Douglas), and a Nigerian father, Charles Ejogo.[5][6] Ejogo remembers her mother as having been "a bit of a hippie" during her childhood.[7] Her younger brother, an entrepreneur, is also named Charles Ejogo.[8][9] She attended the Oratory Roman Catholic Primary School and Glendower Preparatory School, and was then educated at Godolphin and Latymer School.

Ejogo was briefly married to Trip-hop artist Tricky.[10] In 2000, she married American actor Jeffrey Wright, whom she met while making the HBO film Boycott. They have a son (Elijah) and a daughter (Juno).[11][12][13] Ejogo and Wright have since divorced.[14]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Interesting stat / trivia regarding this season ... the leads are all around the same age.

Ejogo - 45yo (October 22nd, 1973)

Ali - 44yo (February 16th, 1974)

Dorff - 45yo (July 29th, 1973)

McNairy - 41yo (November 11th, 1977)

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I lost interest in season 2 because the Detectives just weren't as interesting as in Season 1. I also couldn't buy Vince Vaughn as a tough guy. I may give it a second try after season 3 is over.

I'll say this HBO listened and they are definitely following the same algorithm they used for Season 1 in Season 3.