Has Steph Curry surpassed Lebron and can he reach goat status?

Can Curry reach goat status?

• Total voters

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Curry is a volume shooter and he shoots many bad shots..he just makes them..

he is that cat ,coach on the bench screaming no no no no good shot.

and there are many games when he shooting terribly for 3 quarters and they catches fire in the 4th..

but his game definitely doesn't translate because his bony ass would get broke
Nah
Isn't he more efficient than mj while taking higher difficulty shots?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I wont front Im part of the I hate Jordan but he was the greatest to me. What Steph is doing now is UNREAL.... He does have to maintain this for 3-4 more years for me to say he is close to Jordan....

Its partially because I think the rules cater to his game play more. He would have gotten broken up in the 90s.

Not really. His team would be different. He'd have goons on the team to make sure he didn't get broken up

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
6 time champion, 6 time Finals Mvp, 5 time league Mvp, etc... That's the GOAT..
Steph has a ways to go to get in that convo... But he's the best Right now.

I don't think he'll be goat. I think he'll be the new standard for shooting killer instinct as a pg

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't mention those other guys with curry.
We've seen those type players before.
Steph is something different.
I never heard anyone say steph didn't deserve that mvp.
Also he was the first unanimous mvp.
The convo is based on if he continues on this level and the way his game is predicated it relies on skill more than athleticism imo, unless he has a debilitating injury I don't see him falling off.

The NBA manufactures their faces....

As I said he is a great shooter....but GS is a great team..They may be better with him but they are still great without him.

Derrick Rose never had a team like that

AI never had a team like that..

so their accomplishments can be mentioned.

teams matter so stop acting like these cats playing HORSE

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Don't mention those other guys with curry.
We've seen those type players before.
Steph is something different.
I never heard anyone say steph didn't deserve that mvp.
Also he was the first unanimous mvp.
The convo is based on if he continues on this level and the way his game is predicated it relies on skill more than athleticism imo, unless he has a debilitating injury I don't see him falling off.
where was this thread 2 yrs ago ??? oh yeah it didn't exist.. maybe he's having a lucky 2 yrs maybe he's not..but 2yrs ago nobody would've dared made this thread..in fact where the hell was warrior threads 2 yrs ago???

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
This is troll shit bro... Im highly disappointed in you.

Change your name back fam.. Something aint been right since the switch my nigga.

:lol:

Man. Be objective. How many players have you seen be this dominant? And extrapolate this out over a few more years? He wouldn't be in the argument?

I'm not saying right now.. I'm saying if he does this shit for several more years, how can his career be defined when you're talkinga bout the greatest shooters of all time, dominant for years, multiple MVPs, multiple titles...owning all the shooting records..

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Curry is on some other shit. He doesn't need to eclipse Lebron; he's doing different shit Lebron has never done. There's room for both of them to be great at the same time. There never was and never will be a single GOAT. The NBA ain't Highlander: there actually CAN be more than one so called GOAT.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The NBA manufactures their faces....

As I said he is a great shooter....but GS is a great team..They may be better with him but they are still great without him.

Derrick Rose never had a team like that

AI never had a team like that..

so their accomplishments can be mentioned.

teams matter so stop acting like these cats playing HORSE
Umm didn't Jordan have a great team without him?
That didn't negate his credentials.
Rose and AI are not on currys level.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Steph is a great offensive player but for one thing he has only done it for 2 years on a great team.

He has to do it consistently for longer to be considered with the greats.

Now I am not a Lebron fan per se but you can't deny his impact.

LeBron took one of the worst teams ever to the finals ( 1st time in Cleveland)

Lebron could go to Philly or The Knicks and they would be at least a 2nd round team his first year

Curry isn't that dude...Curry needs a team Lebron is a team.

We already know that GS can win without Curry and would still be competing for a championship

Cleveland would possibly be a lottery pick without Lebron

Let's not do that bs.
Lebron is great he can do everything you said however people always talk about a stacked team full of players outside of klay and green that nobody wanted lol

Iggy been in the nba Livingston Barbosa etc those dudes were getting cut by 20 win teams and traded out of Philly for peanuts

Let's not rewrite history like those dudes are max players that got together

It's just a gm doing a good job of putting pieces together and drafting well
Nobody wanted Andrew bogut.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
where was this thread 2 yrs ago ??? oh yeah it didn't exist.. maybe he's having a lucky 2 yrs maybe he's not..but 2yrs ago nobody would've dared made this thread..in fact where the hell was warrior threads 2 yrs ago???
It's speculative.
We're saying if he continues like this.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
what they should stop doing is talking GOAT anyway....Best players of the generation is more accurate
That's essentially how I established it. I listed a bunch of players who were the best of their generation. and said "goat status"...not goat. I think declaring a goat in team sports is really difficult

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
I'm not talking about full body of work. I'm talking about right NOW. Is he the better player now? Obviously Lebron has the better career.

I've been arguing for most of the year that Lebron was still #1... but I'm really starting to question that now.
when he becomes a great two way player. Right now he hides very well in the team defense.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Umm didn't Jordan have a great team without him?
That didn't negate his credentials.
Rose and AI are not on currys level.

you are uninformed if you think AI.

AI could make a bad team competitive and took a half asses team to the finals

Jordan had great roles players Curry has players who could be their teams star.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Curry is a volume shooter and he shoots many bad shots..he just makes them..

he is that cat ,coach on the bench screaming no no no no good shot.

and there are many games when he shooting terribly for 3 quarters and they catches fire in the 4th..

but his game definitely doesn't translate because his bony ass would get broke

He's not lol. He shoots in the flow of the offense
Last night he deferred to klay cause klay was hot and then closed the deal.

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's all I'm saying. In context, what he's doing is incredibly rare. I think it's hard to come to grips with because he's doing it from the perimeter and we've not had a player dominate the game from long range.

I used to think he would have gotten worked in a previous area because of his durability...but it's not because of the contact or hand-checking aint working on a guy w/ those types of handles that can pull up from 27 feet off the dribble man.. you can't defend that..in any era.

While that is true hard to defend out there, but he HAS to go to the rack sometime. He would not have not had the cake walk he has now. Back then PG's and SG's went to the rack would go to the rack and get hacked to the point of broken and fractured bones. Hand checking works on EVERYBODY if done correctly lol...

I think currys game would translate in any era.
He's knocking down high difficulty shots in people's face nightly.
I swear some of the shots are off his hip, shits crazy.

He is amazing but do you think Isiah, Starks, Reggie, etc would let him do that without the punishment. It changes the way you play. Of course this is all what ifs, and maybes, my point is not saying he couldn't play in any era it would just be interesting to see how he would have to change his game.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Let's not do that bs.
Lebron is great he can do everything you said however people always talk about a stacked team full of players outside of klay and green that nobody wanted lol

Iggy been in the nba Livingston Barbosa etc those dudes were getting cut by 20 win teams and traded out of Philly for peanuts

Let's not rewrite history like those dudes are max players that got together

It's just a gm doing a good job of putting pieces together and drafting well
Nobody wanted Andrew bogut.

Which makes a great team...

those role players you named by themselves are mediocre but together they fits.

same way SA drafts and trades for players that fit.....

that team as it stands is a great team. regardless how it got made..

they fit and compliment.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
truth be told it should be called MPP.. most popular player

I knew he would get his 2nd as soon as they gave Kerr coach of the year even though he only coached half a season.

engineered a 73 game season is very generous....

How the fuck is it generous? How many game winners did he hit this year while averaging 30 a game? Lol.
.and he didn't rest 30 games either

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not really. His team would be different. He'd have goons on the team to make sure he didn't get broken up

Couldn't hide like that back then lol. You had to get the rock as a PG. You had to feel the fire. I was very fortunate to always see the Knicks Vs Bulls games on either XMAS or Thanksgiving almost floor seats (Uncle corporate seats). What you would hear sounded like cats was damn near playing football lol

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
if curry fell off bigtime nobody would be calling him the goat..nobody would say they'll take him over magic or oscar...juss let the kid play and we'll see how he'll do in the future.. 2 yrs ago nobody would've made this thread so let's see if 2 yrs from now will he at least deserve 1

I'm not arguing hes the goat or will be
I am saying stop bringing up dudes who didn't win rings and don't have multiple MVPs into his conversation that's all

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
While that is true hard to defend out there, but he HAS to go to the rack sometime. He would not have not had the cake walk he has now. Back then PG's and SG's went to the rack would go to the rack and get hacked to the point of broken and fractured bones. Hand checking works on EVERYBODY if done correctly lol...

He is amazing but do you think Isiah, Starks, Reggie, etc would let him do that without the punishment. It changes the way you play. Of course this is all what ifs, and maybes, my point is not saying he couldn't play in any era it would just be interesting to see how he would have to change his game.

Sure they would knock him around but like bills said the team would be built differently ie enforcers
Shooting is a skill that translates any era.
And his ball handling is arguably better than all them guys listed.

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He's arguably a better ball handler than them cats.
Sure they would knock him around but like bills said

Sure they would knock him around but like bills said the team would be built differently ie enforcers
Shooting is a skill that translates any era.
And his ball handling is arguably better than all them guys listed.

He is a better ball handler cause he can't be touched lol. Its easier to handle the ball when cats not hacking you lol

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
you are uninformed if you think AI.

AI could make a bad team competitive and took a half asses team to the finals

Jordan had great roles players Curry has players who could be their teams star.

Right cause pippen isn't a top 50 player and took the Blazers to the conference finals and Rodman had absolutely no pedigree or success without Jordan. .

Ron harper was a better player than majority of this warriors team

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Which makes a great team...

those role players you named by themselves are mediocre but together they fits.

same way SA drafts and trades for players that fit.....

that team as it stands is a great team. regardless how it got made..

they fit and compliment.
But not indivdual game changers like ppl try to make them seem

Lebron absolutely took a trash team to the finals and got brat

He won with multiple hof players on the roster.

That's important to point out

Built4Life

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:hmm::hmm:

There's a big difference between Steph Curry & Magic Johnson, as far as 'defense' goes...

Because Magic could DEFEND all 5 positions. :yes:
He played BOTH sides of the ball, at every spot. :yes:

Not just offense alone. :hmm:

2x NBA Playoffs steals leader (1980, 1982)
2x NBA Playoffs total steals leader (1980, 1983)

Curry cannot DEFEND power forwards & centers (down in the paint) like Magic could. :smh::rolleyes:

Magic was never known for his defense and steals don't necessarily equate to good defense considering defense is mostly a team concept.

Winslow Wong

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member
When Naismith created the game - it had one pardon the pun goal - put the ball in the hoop - over the years the game has evolved into a ballet of sorts as players developed a variety of ways to get the ball into the hoop but at the end of the day - the ability to drop bombs from anywhere on the court makes you a valuable player so as that goes, Steph Curry is one of the most valuable - GOAT? - the game goes two ways and MJ won multiple Defensive Player of the year as well as scoring championships, MVPs and 6 rings.

Steph might be the greatest player of this era but I am not sure about all time.