Has Steph Curry surpassed Lebron and can he reach goat status?

Can Curry reach goat status?

• Total voters

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Be objective.

I know you can win the MVP and still not be considered the best player in the league.

Independent of circumstances, has Curry become the "best player" in the league?

Assuming that the Warriors win a title this year w/ curry playing the way he has, and the warriors win more with him also continue to play how he is playing or possibly getting better... can he reach goat status?

And by goat "status" I mean in the class of Kareem, Magic, Jordan, Wilt... people that have legitimate arguments.

This dude is dominating games from long range. He's the best pure shooter of all time, has game-changing range, and is one of the best ball-handlers in the game.

He's doing shit that we've never seen and might not ever see again.

and defense can't keep him out of the argument in my opinion. Magic might have been more versatile because of his size, but he's certainly not worse on the defensive end in comparison to Magic and Magic is in the argument.

and people can't use the loaded team argument because on paper the Warriors aren't world beaters. Think about the back to back Miami heat team.. they had 3 hall of famers and two of them in their prime.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
how bout he do this at least 8 straight more yrs

The qualifier has already been added. Is it possible with this current production over several more years? If you extrapolate what he's doing now out over several years, would it be enough? I want to put the last two seasons into content.

If they win the title... that's back to back titles, back to back MVPs, and recording setting shooting..

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
how bout he do this at least 8 straight more yrs than u can put him in the talks... nigs get injured everyday b and lots of really good players has had short careers or their levels of talent fell because of them grant hill, t-mac juss to name 2
Does a shorter career matter if what they did while they played was so impactful?
Jim Brown had a short career
Barry Sanders too.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Steph is the face of the NBA now. Steph has surpassed LeBron in that aspect. As far as being GOAT status. Steph needs to continue to average at least 28 to 30 ppg while staying healthy and winning at least 3 more titles. Being the greatest PG of all time and surpassing Jordan as the greatest player to step on a NBA court are two different things and it's also based on your era you grew up in.

Steph is easily the best shooter of all time now. No one cas dispute that.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Does a shorter career matter if what did while they played was so impactful?
Barry Sanders too.

Yeah. I think it's about how dominant you were during your Prime. So if he does this for just say 4 more years.. that could be six consecutive seasons of dominant basketball... would that be enough? and he would only be 32 after those 4 years.

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
and defense can't keep him out of the argument in my opinion. Magic might have been more versatile because of his size, but he's certainly not worse on the defensive end in comparison to Magic and Magic is in the argument.

:hmm::hmm:

There's a big difference between Steph Curry & Magic Johnson, as far as 'defense' goes...

Because Magic could DEFEND all 5 positions. :yes:
He played BOTH sides of the ball, at every spot. :yes:

Not just offense alone. :hmm:

2x NBA Playoffs steals leader (1980, 1982)
2x NBA Playoffs total steals leader (1980, 1983)

Curry cannot DEFEND power forwards & centers (down in the paint) like Magic could. :smh::rolleyes:

Last edited:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Does a shorter career matter if what they did while they played was so impactful?
Barry Sanders too.
barry played 10 yrs and jim played like 8 or more... very diff compared to like 5.. both those dudes dominated throughout their career juss not 2... derrick rose had an mvp yr are u gonna say he's top 5 point guard ever??? prob not cause his talent went down bigtime after injuries..if curry got injured next yr and never averages 20 points a game ever again are u gonna call him the goat?? exactly..let dude continue his career first b4 u put him in that talk

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Steph is the face of the NBA now. Steph has surpassed LeBron in that aspect. As far as being GOAT status. Steph needs to continue to average at least 28 to 30 ppg while staying healthy and winning at least 3 more titles.

Steph is easily the best shooter of all time now. No one cas dispute that.

So your response is yes? Because I put the qualifier (if he does this for a few more years).

I think you have a very small number of players in NBA history that have broken paradigms.. he's clearly one of them. I said 3 years ago on bgol that
he was clearly the greatest shooter of all time.. and he's even better now and it's not even close and might never ever be another real challenger to this. @alexw was even saying he wouldn't be surprised if this some Secretariat shit where you found out later his had physical advantages that made him almost like a mutant (secretariat had an oversized heart)... curry might have much better eyesight than normal human...

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
barry played 10 yrs and jim played like 8 or more... very diff compared to like 5.. both those dudes dominated throughout their career juss not 2... derrick rose had an mvp yr are u gonna say he's top 5 point guard ever??? prob not cause his talent went down bigtime after injuries
Rose shouldn't have even won that mvp.
What curry is doing is another stratosphere.
And it seems like he's only getting better...

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wont front Im part of the I hate Jordan but he was the greatest to me. What Steph is doing now is UNREAL.... He does have to maintain this for 3-4 more years for me to say he is close to Jordan....

Its partially because I think the rules cater to his game play more. He would have gotten broken up in the 90s.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

There's a big difference between Steph Curry & Magic Johnson, as far as 'defense' goes...

I already said he was versatile. He wasn't a good defender at all 5 positions though. Magic was slow laterally on defense. He would get cooked on the perimeter by fast players.

Steals leader doesnt mean much, boss. Curry was the steals leader this season :lol:

Reactions: LSN

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Rose shouldn't have even won that mvp.
What curry is doing is another stratosphere.
And it seems like he's only getting better...
some people would say steph didn't deserve his last yr... heck there's a thread where some people don't think he deserved it this yr.. but that's on a matter of opinion the reality rose did get 1 and people were extra hyped about him now look..dwight howard was loved yrs ago now look at him.. people need to stop getting hyped on a few yrs of explosion and wait it out to see what happens... cause if mysteriously this guy falls off and his team starts the fail all the fake warrior fans will disappear and all the curry cheerleaders will act like they wasn't riding his talking about goat and best pg ever cause he had 2 great yrs... dude doin his thing but the goat talk is way to premature

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Steph is a great offensive player but for one thing he has only done it for 2 years on a great team.

He has to do it consistently for longer to be considered with the greats.

Now I am not a Lebron fan per se but you can't deny his impact.

LeBron took one of the worst teams ever to the finals ( 1st time in Cleveland)

Lebron could go to Philly or The Knicks and they would be at least a 2nd round team his first year

Curry isn't that dude...Curry needs a team Lebron is a team.

We already know that GS can win without Curry and would still be competing for a championship

Cleveland would possibly be a lottery pick without Lebron

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I wont front Im part of the I hate Jordan but he was the greatest to me. What Steph is doing now is UNREAL.... He does have to maintain this for 3-4 more years for me to say he is close to Jordan....

Its partially because I think the rules cater to his game play more. He would have gotten broken up in the 90s.

That's all I'm saying. In context, what he's doing is incredibly rare. I think it's hard to come to grips with because he's doing it from the perimeter and we've not had a player dominate the game from long range.

I used to think he would have gotten worked in a previous area because of his durability...but it's not because of the contact or hand-checking aint working on a guy w/ those types of handles that can pull up from 27 feet off the dribble man.. you can't defend that..in any era.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I think currys game would translate in any era.
He's knocking down high difficulty shots in people's face nightly.
I swear some of the shots are off his hip, shits crazy.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Curry cannot DEFEND power forwards & centers (down in the paint) like Magic could. :smh::rolleyes:

Magic is the only player in NBA history to start at all 5 positions in a NBA finals series.

And he actually played the positions..

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

Yea neither could anone thats not six foot nine lol

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Curry's body of work so far is no where near LBJ. Don't get caught up in his last couple of seasons. See me in 13 seasons then we can have this conversion.

I'm not talking about full body of work. I'm talking about right NOW. Is he the better player now? Obviously Lebron has the better career.

I've been arguing for most of the year that Lebron was still #1... but I'm really starting to question that now.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think currys game would translate in any era.
He's knocking down high difficulty shots in people's face nightly.
I swear some of the shots are off his hip, shits crazy.

Curry is a volume shooter and he shoots many bad shots..he just makes them..

he is that cat ,coach on the bench screaming no no no no good shot.

and there are many games when he shooting terribly for 3 quarters and they catches fire in the 4th..

but his game definitely doesn't translate because his bony ass would get broke

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
barry played 10 yrs and jim played like 8 or more... very diff compared to like 5.. both those dudes dominated throughout their career juss not 2... derrick rose had an mvp yr are u gonna say he's top 5 point guard ever??? prob not cause his talent went down bigtime after injuries..if curry got injured next yr and never averages 20 points a game ever again are u gonna call him the goat?? exactly..let dude continue his career first b4 u put him in that talk

I don't understand the need to compare curry to dudes not on his damn level.

Derrick rose won the mvp and did not win the nba championship.

Curry now has 2 MVPs and an nba championship and engineered a 73 win season.

All of these should coulda woulda people bring up did not win rings or multiple MVPs

Let's stop bringing up lower tier players.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
6 time champion, 6 time Finals Mvp, 5 time league Mvp, etc... That's the GOAT..
Steph has a ways to go to get in that convo... But he's the best Right now.

I tried to frame this avoid this type of response. First off, we're going to leave the GOAT as just being in a group of people that others consistently argue for....

2nd.. the question is "if he continues to play at his level, is he in the argument?"

It's qualifying his current play.

There were many great players who had back to back great seasons that never had this type of impact so the question never needed to be ask what would it mean if this was extrapolated out.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
some people would say steph didn't deserve his last yr... heck there's a thread where some people don't think he deserved it this yr.. but that's on a matter of opinion the reality rose did get 1 and people were extra hyped about him now look..dwight howard was loved yrs ago now look at him.. people need to stop getting hyped on a few yrs of explosion and wait it out to see what happens... cause if mysteriously this guy falls off and his team starts the fail all the fake warrior fans will disappear and all the curry cheerleaders will act like they wasn't riding his talking about goat and best pg ever cause he had 2 great yrs... dude doin his thing but the goat talk is way to premature
Don't mention those other guys with curry.
We've seen those type players before.
Steph is something different.
I never heard anyone say steph didn't deserve that mvp.
Also he was the first unanimous mvp.
The convo is based on if he continues on this level and the way his game is predicated it relies on skill more than athleticism imo, unless he has a debilitating injury I don't see him falling off.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

All of these should coulda woulda people bring up did not win rings or multiple MVPs

if curry fell off bigtime nobody would be calling him the goat..nobody would say they'll take him over magic or oscar...juss let the kid play and we'll see how he'll do in the future.. 2 yrs ago nobody would've made this thread so let's see if 2 yrs from now will he at least deserve 1

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

truth be told it should be called MPP.. most popular player

I knew he would get his 2nd as soon as they gave Kerr coach of the year even though he only coached half a season.

engineered a 73 game season is very generous....

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Curry is a volume shooter and he shoots many bad shots..he just makes them..

They're not bad shots when you consistently make them. Bad shot is literally a difficult shot that you're unlikely to make. That's the definition.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Be objective.

I know you can win the MVP and still not be considered the best player in the league.

Independent of circumstances, has Curry become the "best player" in the league?

Assuming that the Warriors win a title this year w/ curry playing the way he has, and the warriors win more with him also continue to play how he is playing or possibly getting better... can he reach goat status?

And by goat "status" I mean in the class of Kareem, Magic, Jordan, Wilt... people that have legitimate arguments.
changing range, and is one of the best ball-handlers in the game.
This is troll shit bro... Im highly disappointed in you.

Change your name back fam.. Something aint been right since the switch my nigga.