Drone stans get in here

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
I would get a Phantom before the Mavic for the same reason DaDon said.

You want to be able to see your shit with a full screen!

The Phantom costs a little more, but worth it, especially for your first bird!

Some people say to get a cheap 40 dollar drone first and practice with that one first but to me, it's like buying a Big Wheel to practice driving a car but there's no real comparison.

When you get your phantom, you will HAVE to first fly it in an open field, away from frees and wires and ANY other obstructions, and before you know it, you are proficient at flying!

Buying a Phantom, you will be in much more control of your bird than the Mavic, imo.

Thanks for the reply.

I was actually for something more portable like the Mavic to take when I goto Aruba, I wanted to take some aerial shots with it, but how the any of the DJI Phantom Drone focus on a subject or background to maintain a tact sharp image?

Will these birds fly overseas??

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
i can't honestly say. there's pros and cons to which to start with. i like the mavic pro but i don't like it as much as my phantom 3 advanced, basically since i can use a tablet or a VR headset with it.
I don't have either a tablet or VR headset.
So are you saying VR headset is not compatible with the Mavic Pro?
If I were to go with the DJI Phantom 4, what kind of back pack can I use to take say:
1. DJI Phantom 4
2. Canon 7d
3. three lenses
4. Macbook Pro
5. Sekonic light meter
6. Two Canon speedlites
7. Transmitter for cam
8. Tripod
9. ND filters
10. ND ring bracket
11. DJI controller
12. some cables and triggers
13. extra batteries

Onto an airplane without any problems?

bbuzzard

Skeptic
BGOL Investor
I have a Yuneec Q500 and it is my 5th quad and the easiest one I've had to fly. The DJI still has the market share but Yuneec dropped their prices an anyone looking should take note.

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
If I were to go with the DJI Phantom 4, what kind of back pack can I use to take say:
1. DJI Phantom 4
2. Canon 7d
3. three lenses
4. Macbook Pro
5. Sekonic light meter
6. Two Canon speedlites
7. Transmitter for cam
8. Tripod
9. ND filters
10. ND ring bracket
11. DJI controller
13. extra batteries

You should be able to get everything cept for the the DJI drone and controller in most photog backpacks. That is kinda what makes the mavic so great on paper. It can literally fit in your pocket.

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
1. DJI Phantom 4
2. Canon 7d
3. three lenses
4. Macbook Pro
5. Sekonic light meter
6. Two Canon speedlites
7. Transmitter for cam
8. Tripod
9. ND filters
10. ND ring bracket
11. DJI controller
13. extra batteries

i wouldn't put all of that in one bag. i have a bag for my camera and a hard backpack case for the drone
5Z5-M24UwwPaBu1i0Wi6iKKniqnDe1eOSOYLVIXwrCfFMg4ErQjz6ngO2aJon_0UycDUnXCFxkpkbA5zp-oq6PYfGy7MvcLOkPfn5hm_fvswsfX_nzr1WCWgq7zsO_f24H6HUBUkwJxIsrzaxWBmpdEEdF3ubaX7GLW4z9uYhhVdO1vBGXCgvGUIDHqHm5DcpMbJxxUgYyxtEuWSQxtT12qnMA2vbX-MWtY4OTQNIQE2t3flc5shLEWK2qS3yAXAC7Klox0OZVkRTxmaiJZa3ZlqbWzET2giazdV9BeDYlsW5hqYQ_h-xMkGCcN3jEl7ixH_8sirZFjBdFpW7XEF_HCvBMfKwU-Ow-A0O-zRt26s056n5c9PuZt4zgPEiNBbYNz3iyt9HMXovI7O3TZWrgMXAQzDc4nQOkfEE5A5OfzzHwW_5Yz81WCIa9HfGySGkKB1rrNXuh1OCel3ae5rDlPG7I2Sv3QRYdKXeP5rO-aFwl9eD7c6iqSXzOVv5XehaFUSpkFccES6n_4w3QscDYxCyDr3MTSCZe-gox28zBJuQZW6003RN2W6fshrdJLalXWQJ1Gk0Cfl2dVuWuEu-viQ4RAMjQ6-z8VOqxVe2LzJT5N0Qg=w556-h988-no

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
Thanks for the reply.

I was actually for something more portable like the Mavic to take when I goto Aruba, I wanted to take some aerial shots with it, but how the any of the DJI Phantom Drone focus on a subject or background to maintain a tact sharp image?

which is why i recommended the phantom. you can focus on items just by touching it on the screen/tablet

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Whats the purpose of the drones? What do you guys use them for?

Just fun and it's man shit. If you want you can perv with it too. Some white boys was deep sea fishing with one. It's cool. I'll pick up mavic pro soon. Have Toruk AP 11, don't buy this bullshit. It's hot garbage

Last edited:

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
one of my new drones arrived yesterday, took it out for a test flight

control on the mavic is nice but the screen is too small where i like using my tablet for the other.

Da Don when you shot this video did you focus on any specific subject in your video?

Or did you have it on auto focus?

Have you tried to shoot still images with your drone and does it shoot raw??

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Man I've been eyefucking that Mavic since you guys posted it. Don you not trying to sell yours are you?:D

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
Da Don when you shot this video did you focus on any specific subject in your video?

Or did you have it on auto focus?

Have you tried to shoot still images with your drone and does it shoot raw??

i had it on auto focus.

yeah i've taken stills in RAW format. i'll upload some in a sec

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
i had it on auto focus.

yeah i've taken stills in RAW format. i'll upload some in a sec

When you shoot stills with a drone are you able to manually adjust the F-Stop/ISO/SS?

ok waiting thanks

I know that there are FAA regulations in how you fly your drone,

if there were no regulations, how high can a drone go, what is the maximum altitude can be reached with the Phantom??

Last edited:

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
When you shoot stills with a drone are you able to manually adjust the F-Stop/ISO/SS?

ok waiting thanks

I know that there are FAA regulations in how you fly your drone,

if there were no regulations, how high can a drone go, what is the maximum altitude can be reached with the Phantom??

1.yes to the stills questions

2. 400 ft ceiling limit

still getting the photos. i reinstalled windows for the anniversary edition to play gears of war 4, i haven't installed photoshop back on yet.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Thanks for the reply.

Man I just got back from Aruba and I shot with my drone there. Hey, be prepared for leaving 3-4 hours early for your departure from Aruba. The boarding process ain't no joke...literally. you need all 3 hours to just get through every line and check point to fly out

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
Man I just got back from Aruba and I shot with my drone there. Hey, be prepared for leaving 3-4 hours early for your departure from Aruba. The boarding process ain't no joke...literally. you need all 3 hours to just get through every line and check point to fly out

question, did you use an iphone or Ipad when you flew the bird in Aruba??

And if so does the DJI app have to be connected to a service provider or wifi?

Or can you run the DJI app while your phone is on airplane mode???

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
there has been a fire sale on the 3DR solo as they are exiting the consumer market

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
question, did you use an iphone or Ipad when you flew the bird in Aruba??

And if so does the DJI app have to be connected to a service provider or wifi?

Or can you run the DJI app while your phone is on airplane mode???

I don't use Iphones. I use a Note 4 and sometimes my android tablet on the Phantom. No you don't need to be connected to wifi or anything. You connect it, and it talks and forth to the copter. They have a special system that allows the radio to give video feedback with virtually no latency.

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
I don't use Iphones. I use a Note 4 and sometimes my android tablet on the Phantom. No you don't need to be connected to wifi or anything. You connect it, and it talks and forth to the copter. They have a special system that allows the radio to give video feedback with virtually no latency.

great news thanks.....overseas telephone service providers are mad expensive... I am glad that I dont need my phone to be on.
I am heading to Aruba myself too. Where did you go shooting at in Aruba?

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I thought the mavic was delayed up until a day ago or so and was not supposed to ship until 10/15/16 (minus reviewers). I tried to order/pre-order today from bestbuy, but it would not go through even though I got an email saying it was available. After that, I just went directly to DJI to order, but they are saying I still shouldn't expect it until sometime in November.

In any case this will be my first one. Does anyone have their drone insured? I bought the extended warranty from DJI, but it doesn't cover your Drone if it hits water and you can't renew after the initial year.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
I thought the mavic was delayed up until a day ago or so and was not supposed to ship until 10/15/16 (minus reviewers). I tried to order/pre-order today from bestbuy, but it would not go through even though I got an email saying it was available. After that, I just went directly to DJI to order, but they are saying I still shouldn't expect it until sometime in November.

In any case this will be my first one. Does anyone have their drone insured? I bought the extended warranty from DJI, but it doesn't cover your Drone if it hits water and you can't renew after the initial year.

Same thing here. I believe usaa will insure it as a high value item. Some of my computers and shit I need to take off now because they old as fuck now but I'm insuring this drone once I get it. the other drone I got I may give to my nephew

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Same thing here. I believe usaa will insure it as a high value item. Some of my computers and shit I need to take off now because they old as fuck now but I'm insuring this drone once I get it. the other drone I got I may give to my nephew

I debated about getting that care service, but considering I'm new to this and you get two replacements and discounts on repairs, I figured it was better to be safer than cheap.

futureshock

Registered
Cyberattack on 3D-Printed Component Destroys Drone Mid-Air
BEN SULLIVAN
October 21, 2016 // 09:25 AM EST

1477055468355918.gif

It’s 2016, and mostly anything is hackable. And while the ramifications of computer hacks are usually limited to leaks, botnets, and file destruction, hacks are slowly becoming more of a threat to our physical world. We’ve already seen the effect hacking can have on power stations, and know that hackers can remotely disable internet-connected cars, but now hackers have even found a way to sabotage drones in a completely undetectable way: by damaging components when they are made in a 3D printer.

Research by cybersecurity experts from the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel, the University of South Alabama, and Singapore University of Technology and Design details how 3D printers can be infiltrated and fatal design defects can be embedded into the manufacturing process of drone components.

As part of the research, titled “dr0wned – Cyber-Physical Attack with Additive Manufacturing”, the researchers phished their way into a computer that was connected to a 3D printer, found the blueprints for a drone propeller that was to be printed, and sabotaged the design. The result? The quadcopter-style drone endured a catastrophic crash just two minutes into flight thanks to a faulty propeller. The design defects planted into the propeller were undetectable to the human eye, and you can watch the full video below.

Additive manufacturing (AM), also known as 3D printing, is currently taking off in commercial industries. Some of the world’s biggest aviation manufacturers, such as Airbus, are designing and making aerospace components using 3D printers. This, according to the researchers, is an invitation for sabotage.
“This paper demonstrates the validity of this concern,” the researchers wrote, “as we present the very first full chain of attack involving AM, beginning with a cyber attack aimed at compromising a benign AM component, continuing with malicious modification of a manufactured object’s blueprint, leading to the sabotage of the manufactured functional part, and resulting in the physical destruction of a cyber-physical system that employs this part.”

Attacks on desktop 3D printers have been done before, with attackers able to modify the printing results of the components, such as size and the position of the parts, the researchers said that this work demonstrates one of the first times this type of “indirect, multistage, cyberphysical attack” has actually been demonstrated.

The researchers conclude that even though their attack was experimental and only breached a private person’s desktop 3D printer, similar attacks are possible on industrial systems that print metal parts for safety-critical systems. “In order to protect public safety and national security, solutions should be found and implemented that will increase both robustness and resilience of AM to sabotage attacks,” the researchers said.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
My birthday is tomorrow, thinking about taking the plunge and buying a Phantom 3 standard joint. Been watching drone videos all day. I do videography and photography on the side and have been wanting to get into aerial photography for a minute now. Great thread

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I'm going to find some time and upload some of my flights over the past couple years with my drones very soon!

Check out this vid on youtube.

This is some of the crazy shit I be doing like getting right up next to shit and going thru small holes like this kat does!

I need to get some of the filters and video editing software he has!
:yes:

futureshock

Registered
GoPro’s Problems Worsen With Drone Recall
Rating on shares is lowered after action-camera maker pulls Karma from market

BN-QS572_GOPRO__GR_20161109154905.jpg

GoPro Chief Executive Nick Woodman introduced the Karma drone in Olympic Valley, Calif., in September. GoPro pulled the drone from the market Tuesday after some of them lost power in flight
By
GEORGIA WELLS
Nov. 9, 2016 5:01 p.m. ET

GoPro Inc.’s recall of its first drone caps a string of snafus that have knocked the action-camera maker from its pedestal of Silicon Valley hardware darling.

On Tuesday, GoPro issued the recall and pulled its new Karma drone from the market because a few of them lost power during flight. The company didn’t say what caused the power loss.

The grounding of GoPro’s drone ambitions follow production delays, missed deadlines, bungled launches and lower sales expectations in recent months.

“GoPro has done a lot of things to discourage their customer base,” said Charles Anderson, senior research analyst with Dougherty & Co. Mr. Anderson lowered his rating on GoPro’s shares to “sell” from “neutral” on Wednesday.

A spokesman for GoPro said it is optimistic about its prospects in 2017. “We’re hoping to have a good year with strong demand, strong marketing and sales execution, and a year with much lower operating expenses,” he said.

The Karma comprised a small part of GoPro’s business—just 2,500 were sold since its launch two weeks ago, GoPro said—but its challenges provide an example of GoPro’s struggles to execute. Its share price has fallen 88% since its high two years ago. Shares in GoPro fell 4.1% on Wednesday.

The company had already disappointed investors last week when it said quarterly revenue fell 40% and shipments of its new flagship camera were delayed because of production issues that could seep into the holiday season. It also said it expects to record a loss next year, even as it vowed to slash $130 million in costs.

GoPro isn’t the only hardware company to be hit by production problems. A recent spate of recalls highlights the difficulty in bringing safe, highly technical products to market.

Samsung Electronics Co. in September recalled its high-end Galaxy Note 7 phones after reports that they combusted. Earlier this month, high-end electric skateboard maker Boosted Inc. stopped shipping all boards and warned customers not to ride or charge a certain model while it investigated reports of battery overheating.

GoPro burst onto the scene a decade ago with small, light cameras that adrenaline addicts attached to surfboards, mountain bikes, ski helmets and more. A skyrocketing share price after the company’s public offering in 2014 solidified GoPro’s spot as a Silicon Valley hardware darling.

In 2015, cracks started to appear. In the summer, GoPro mispriced the launch of its first everyman camera, meant to draw more of a mainstream audience that takes pictures with smartphones.

The development of the drone was part of GoPro’s turnaround effort after the cheaper camera’s flop.

‘If a company is going to at least triple what they’re spending on research and development, I want them to deliver significantly better products.’

—Charles Anderson, senior research analyst, Dougherty & Co.
GoPro has pumped money into research and development to develop its new products. Research and development costs soared to 14% of the company’s sales last year, from 4% of sales in 2011, according to Mr. Anderson.

“If a company is going to at least triple what they’re spending on research and development, I want them to deliver significantly better products,” Mr. Anderson said.

GoPro initially targeted its drone debut for the year’s first half. In May, Chief ExecutiveNick Woodman said the drone would be delayed, but still arrive in time for the holidays. A person working on the drone project at the time said GoPro was struggling to incorporate special features such as a separate remote control versus enabling customers to use their smartphones as controllers and sections that folded to fit in a backpack.

Most analysts expect the drone to be a small part of GoPro’s business, and bring in less than 10% of the company’s revenue next year. But the drone was a symbol of GoPro’s efforts to attract new users to its devices.

GoPro said it plans to resume shipment of the Karma drone as soon as the power issue is resolved.

futureshock

Registered
Thumb-steered drone leaves you with a free hand
Nick Lavars
October 28th, 2016

shift-drone-1.png

More than 140 backers have jumped onboard Shift's Kickstarter campaign

The shapes and sizes of drones have changed a lot in recent times, but most serious quadcopters are still controlled by way of a dual-joystick controller (autonomous flyers notwithstanding). A new crowdfunding campaign is coming at it from a different angle, by developing a drone that can be flown with a single hand using a stick and thumb ring.

It is true that getting up to speed as a drone pilot using joystick controllers can take some time. The team behind Shift is aiming to give novices an easier way to earn their wings through what it claims is a more intuitive way to fly.

The drone itself has a pretty standard and respectable enough list of specs. It carries a 4K camera that shoots 13-megapixel stills, 8 GB of onboard memory and even a claimed 30 minutes of flight time.
shift-drone-2.png

Shift can be flown with a single hand using a stick and thumb ring

But the controller is something we haven't seen before. It is basically a short fat stick that you hold in one hand and slide your thumb through a ring on top. By moving your thumb around you can then guide the drone through the air: push left and the drone flies left, push forward and the drone flies forward and move up to have the drone increase its altitude. There is also separate toggle on the front that can be used to change the drone's orientation with your index finger.

This does sound like a simpler way to control a drone, but we'd be interested to see how well it works in practice. Our encounters with drones controlled viasmartphones and watches quickly reminded us how reliable joysticks are once you get a handle on them, and perhaps there is a reason they have remained the controllers of choice for so long.

We'd also question the value of being able to fly one-handed, which is billed as Shift's big advantage. Piloting a drone can take some concentration, so trying to multitask and make phone calls or take a sip of coffee at the same time might just be a recipe for a busted aircraft.
shift-drone-8.png

With that said, more than 140 backers have jumped onboard Shift's Kickstarter campaign to pledge more than US$50,000 already, so clearly there is some interest in the approach.

The Shift controller is said to be compatible with some already existing drones including models from Syma and WLtoys, and can be pre-ordered with a camera-less mini-drone thrown in for an early pledge of $89, while there is also a version where the ring is wireless and detached from the controller at the same price point. The complete Shift drone and controller together are available for a pledge of $790. The company hopes to ship in May 2017 if all goes to plan.

shift-drone-10.png

Being able to fly one-handed is billed as Shift's big advantage
You can check out the pitch video below.