tumblr_oc4qx9on9o1vta2lno1_540.jpg
tumblr_oc4qx9on9o1vta2lno3_r1_540.jpg
tumblr_oc4qx9on9o1vta2lno3_r1_540.jpg
tumblr_oc4qx9on9o1vta2lno2_540.jpg

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
$$$$ to be made

Georgia county police use drones to investigate serious traffic wrecks (with related video)
Aug 30, 2016Michael Keating | Government Product News
COMMENTS 0
dronegwinnettdroneuseusecqj2kj1xyaaup1f.jpg

In the photo: the new GCPD drone will be used to investigate fatal accidents, large crime scenes, tactical and hostage situations and disasters.

Gwinnett County Police Department

The Gwinnett County, Ga., police department (GCPD) has expanded its accident investigation technology with the addition of a drone. Officers in the department rely on the small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) to fly over accident and incident scenes and record pictures and video. The drone, says department staff, gives officers a more comprehensive view. The drone also reduces time needed for investigations.

Ultimately, motorists in Gwinnett County, which is about 30 miles from Atlanta, may see shorter backups and traffic snarls after vehicle wrecks. As the drone speeds up investigations, motorists may see fewer blocked roads and traffic delays. Two of the department’s officers are certified as drone operators. GCPD believes it is the first law enforcement agency in Georgia to seek drone approval from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

"We're able to launch this thing," Lt. Chris Smith of the GCPD told Atlanta’s Channel 2 Action News, "and within five minutes have pictures of the entire scene." The department believes the drone will be deployed in the future for a number of applications besides traffic wrecks. Officers predict that the drone can be a valuable resource in searches for missing persons. Other potential applications include gathering valuable video and measuring damages at natural disasters. The device could also deliver reconnaissance video at prison breaks and at-large crime scenes.

The drone that the GCPD purchased is a DJI Inspire 1 Model T600. It is a quad copter rotorcraft that weighs approximately 6.4 pounds. The engine type is electric. It runs on a battery that can operate the drone for approximately 10 minutes.

GWINNETT_COUNTY_POLICE_LOGO_images_0.jpg

For police departments around the U.S. that are considering acquiring a drone, the GCPD’s Lieutenant Christopher Smith advises that they do their homework. Smith tells GPN: “Other departments that are looking into a drone should do their research on what they will use the drone for and the many types of drones that are out there. The drone has limitations and may not be able to do what you want it to do.”

Smith says that it is crucial that departments develop a policy on the usage of the drone prior to implementing a drone program. He adds: “Coordination with the county/city law department is important to help guide them through any legal issues/concerns that may arise. The FAA may also require a Public Declaration letter.”

Police departments, says Lt. Smith, should learn about drone regulations and coordinate with an FAA representative. “Visit this site for information on small UAS/drone usage and contact info,” adds Smith.

Earlier this week, the FAA issued new comprehensive regulations for routine non-recreational use of small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) – more popularly known as “drones.” The new Small UAS Rule (Part 107), includes pilot and operating rules.

The provisions of the new rule – formally known as Part 107 – are designed to minimize risks to other aircraft and people and property on the ground. A summary is available here. (PDF). Go here for general FAA information on UAS.

In the video, Gwinnett County emergency teams research drone use in fires and other emergency situations.

futureshock

Registered
The future....

NASA Drones Fly Into Hurricane Hermine to Improve Forecast

The drones provide time-lapse videos and information often unnoticed by meteorologists
By Michael Page

A NASA drone flew into Hurricane Hermine on Thursday to collect data on the storm. (Published Thursday, Sept. 1, 2016)
With Hermine bearing down on the United States, new, high-flying technology is providing critical information to those in the storm’s path.

On Thursday, an unmanned drone flew through Hermine, sampling the storm and measuring its every move. Earlier this week, another drone flew into what’s now Hermine as well, and video provided by NOAA and NASA shows that Global Hawk Unmanned Aircraft landing in Virginia after its mission.

Time-lapse videos, also provided by NASA, show the view from the unmanned plane as it zig zags through the storm, measuring things like wind speed and air pressure.

“The benefit of this aircraft is, because it flies so high — it flies at 60,000 feet which is well above the top of the storm. And it’s carrying sensors that can look down through the storm so it’s just like doing an X-ray of that storm,” said Robbie Hood, director of NOAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems program.

GettyImages-590466830.jpg

Getty Images
Hurricane Hunters have flown through storms for decades, and still do. But after Sandy, the federal government funded these drones to collect even more information.

“A Global Hawk can fly much farther and stay in the air much longer than a traditional manned aircraft, so it can actually stay with the storm for 16-20 hours. Our normal manned aircraft is 8-12 hours,” Hood said.

The drones provide key information that can make forecasts better.

On Tuesday, a Global Hawk with a 40-meter wingspan dropped a record 90 instruments while investigating two tropical depressions, one off the Carolinas and the one that became Hermine, according to a NOAA news release. The flight took nearly 24 hours, and helped track the two storms.

On Saturday, one of the drones sampled Gaston in the middle of the Atlantic, dropping more than 80 instruments into the storm. It detected hurricane-force winds that otherwise would have gone unnoticed by meteorologists — another flight marked the first time that data gathered by the NASA Global Hawk was used to upgrade a storm from tropical storm to hurricane.

“We’re always looking at how can we improve our forecast and expand the warning time that people have to prepare for dangerous storms,” Hood said

http://www.necn.com/on-air/as-seen-on/NECN_090116_hurricanedronesPage_4pm_NECN-392078701.html

futureshock

Registered
The state of Georgia just used drones to stream video feeds to the governor's office, after storm damage from Hermine. They said that they will use that info to help in determining declaration of states of emergency or how to coordinate post-disaster responses.

Another potential revenue stream for drone ops = to survey property after natural disasters.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
get the phantom 4!

all the rest of these in the thread just can't compare!

i was about to buy the 4 a couple weeks ago and decided to wait for the 5 next year because both my phantom 3 professionals except for the object detection are doing just fine, i'm going to wait.

PeerlessMack

Been here longer than you think!
Platinum Member
About to pull the trigger on a DIY F550 build.

Got a GoPro so I will put a gimbal on it.

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
Been looking hard at the Mavic. I have a Parrot and a Phantom 3 but the Mavic is a game changer. It might be time to upgrade the game

i'm about to go use it some more, for the price it's nice especially the size i haven't tried the control by wifi yet i'm gonna try it out in a few

mrdiego2020

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i have the dji phantom 3 an i love mines.great video and pictures.the dji 4 is what i want but ill get it at the beginning of the year.

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
DA DON
how is the controls on the DJI Mavic Pro?
Can a novice pick it up quickly?
Where did you get the DJI Mavi Pro is quickly?
What is the battery life on that thing?
Do you think it is comparable to DJI Phantom 4?

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
one of my new drones arrived yesterday, took it out for a test flight

control on the mavic is nice but the screen is too small where i like using my tablet for the other.

DA DON
Can you use your Iphone as a screen?
How responsive was it when you tell the drone to come home?

Last edited:

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
DA DON
Can you use your Iphone as a screen?
How responsive was it when you tell the drone to come home?

controls 1-10 = 8 the controls for the dji phantom are better
yes
bhphoto.com
it's says 20 min i've been seeing 15 but i'm running in high winds
yes you can use the iphone
i've never used the return to home function on any drone yet..

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
now something i've been fucking with with the phantom 3 drone:

Ex2iK7Q2yXLoNp8t1Jnc9uYXB9hiv2r9jxW6V05UNWuZz5zQY43atrUGmZJU3vU9kk5DIpmtjlFx3SVLx4GruNB5dbO2Iup8nlgZbpgbHjz32LvfyocZ58M4lBCXVoez4WkjiBNxkDWcOjoEV9IK523Hu5MOdjyd5wkxBPznHndsrCPpD35O39Kwef7nI7E2Q77JwOq-oHbIBxWCGuKe3LKhOQK_Z7nb5ppX3MWsb0xKeraVJSNBSZeNzU8AI9ut7qvysNRbigyhfxABPNuAM3EOJwaogURJi7ASy-Y3y0dRUHLUb5UzZGyffFi8AVKY0ZP1th61NNufg2A-z7I7B3kNisqs2_43f-YBvRRHdrNEZ9UWU7O-cI3ZDTmcuuGSwDuwfKsa_Iima126-EwOMWJnsXXNiPuPqgJwwNcxWs3U4Hk3vyk0knIqezoDERsQNI-ViHJDoOHNRmceZ6Pwd5RTdwPRiUCKWa75XReptIX2z3wVB4GzJx-Q2Scrf9Mjzv5Ng0oDLPgjaM24miWSVjisN-jus5NLKtVjsDtcji5ebNUIO_5nNmzkmCPHrIOCujOfn8-LfTBxLSQDTi6upzZ6CfSKaxYNj4Fu1AjGjDwDzMRF1g=w1252-h705-no

utopia 360 VR visor and dji visor app

visor 20.00 bucks and it's AMAZING using it. app only works on this drone and the inspire

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
now something i've been fucking with with the phantom 3 drone:

Ex2iK7Q2yXLoNp8t1Jnc9uYXB9hiv2r9jxW6V05UNWuZz5zQY43atrUGmZJU3vU9kk5DIpmtjlFx3SVLx4GruNB5dbO2Iup8nlgZbpgbHjz32LvfyocZ58M4lBCXVoez4WkjiBNxkDWcOjoEV9IK523Hu5MOdjyd5wkxBPznHndsrCPpD35O39Kwef7nI7E2Q77JwOq-oHbIBxWCGuKe3LKhOQK_Z7nb5ppX3MWsb0xKeraVJSNBSZeNzU8AI9ut7qvysNRbigyhfxABPNuAM3EOJwaogURJi7ASy-Y3y0dRUHLUb5UzZGyffFi8AVKY0ZP1th61NNufg2A-z7I7B3kNisqs2_43f-YBvRRHdrNEZ9UWU7O-cI3ZDTmcuuGSwDuwfKsa_Iima126-EwOMWJnsXXNiPuPqgJwwNcxWs3U4Hk3vyk0knIqezoDERsQNI-ViHJDoOHNRmceZ6Pwd5RTdwPRiUCKWa75XReptIX2z3wVB4GzJx-Q2Scrf9Mjzv5Ng0oDLPgjaM24miWSVjisN-jus5NLKtVjsDtcji5ebNUIO_5nNmzkmCPHrIOCujOfn8-LfTBxLSQDTi6upzZ6CfSKaxYNj4Fu1AjGjDwDzMRF1g=w1252-h705-no

utopia 360 VR visor and dji visor app

visor 20.00 bucks and it's AMAZING using it. app only works on this drone and the inspire

I love my P3P! :heartbeat:

47c41159cb4c46e0c062601e55e98272-300x139.jpe

DAHITMAN

Rising Star
controls 1-10 = 8 the controls for the dji phantom are better
yes
bhphoto.com
it's says 20 min i've been seeing 15 but i'm running in high winds
yes you can use the iphone
i've never used the return to home function on any drone yet..

thanks man
Would you recommend a first time buyer to purchase the DJI Mavi Pro?
How much are the spare batteries?

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
thanks man

i can't honestly say. there's pros and cons to which to start with. i like the mavic pro but i don't like it as much as my phantom 3 advanced, basically since i can use a tablet or a VR headset with it.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
thanks man

I would get a Phantom before the Mavic for the same reason DaDon said.

You want to be able to see your shit with a full screen!

The Phantom costs a little more, but worth it, especially for your first bird!

Some people say to get a cheap 40 dollar drone first and practice with that one first but to me, it's like buying a Big Wheel to practice driving a car but there's no real comparison.

When you get your phantom, you will HAVE to first fly it in an open field, away from frees and wires and ANY other obstructions, and before you know it, you are proficient at flying!

Buying a Phantom, you will be in much more control of your bird than the Mavic, imo.

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
I would get a Phantom before the Mavic for the same reason DaDon said.

You want to be able to see your shit with a full screen!

The Phantom costs a little more, but worth it, especially for your first bird!

Some people say to get a cheap 40 dollar drone first and practice with that one first but to me, it's like buying a Big Wheel to practice driving a car but there's no real comparison.

When you get your phantom, you will HAVE to first fly it in an open field, away from frees and wires and ANY other obstructions, and before you know it, you are proficient at flying!

Buying a Phantom, you will be in much more control of your bird than the Mavic, imo.

you can get a phantom advanced for about 600-700 now or a standard phantom 3 for about 300

IDONTPAY

Star
Registered
I got a phantom 3 pro with 4k with a couple extra batteries, everything on it is perfect for me. I use it with a ipad mini. I now want the mavic pro it's more portable with the same features of the phantom 4. i almost preorded the gopro karma till they advertised the mavic pro.