Canelo, Morales Eye Mayweather as Pacquiao Plays Out

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Canelo, Morales Eye Mayweather as Pacquiao Plays Out
Posted by: Jhonny Gonzalez on 11/25/2011 .

By Jhonny Gonzalez

Golden Boy Promotions' head matchmaker, Eric Gomez, is in Mexico City for Saul "Canelo" Alvarez's Saturday defense against Kermit Cintron, and discussed Golden Boy's desire to put together a super-fight between welterweight champions Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather is scheduled for action on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Gomez told Sal Rodriguez that Top Rank and their CEO Bob Arum are not interested in matching Pacquiao against Mayweather.

"We got a letter on Monday on the part of Bob Arum, after the fight between Manny and Juan Manuel Marquez, and he said he wasn't interested in making a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight. I think Manny Pacquiao wants to fight Mayweather and I think Bob Arum doesn't want the fight. We are willing to work with him, everyone wants the fight, but Top Rank doesn't," said Gomez.

If Pacquiao vs. Mayweather does not materialize, Gomez revealed that "Canelo" Alvarez and Erik Morales are candidates to fight Mayweather. Both of the Mexican fighters are looking to get a piece of Floyd Jr.

"Saul said he wants to fight with the biggest names. He says he's ready. This Saturday he has to prove to everyone that he is ready for those type of challenges. Erik is a warrior, and he does not turn away from anyone. He asked us for Mayweather. He said 'I know him well, we sparred and I have the style to beat him.' We then gave that information to Mayweather but he hasn't made any decisions," Gomez said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-morales-eye-mayweather-pacquiao-plays-out--46417

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Morales is done.

Canelo is too green for me, but he is better than Morales at this point.

Khan says he needs a few more fights.

Berto needs to beat Ortiz to even be discussed at this point.

Martinez is looking good.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Not a fan of Alvarez or Morales as opponents for obvious reasons but other than Sergio Martinez, there aren't that many viable alternatives (unless Cotto decisively beats Margarito and is willing to come down to 147).

merce77

Star
Registered
Not a fan of Alvarez or Morales as opponents for obvious reasons but other than Sergio Martinez, there aren't that many viable alternatives (unless Cotto decisively beats Margarito and is willing to come down to 147).

There are no shortage of opponents at 154, maybe not Pacquiao money opponents but there are plenty of fights. He needs to stop the bullshit and move up. 147 is a graveyard right now and judging by how big he looked against Ortiz, 154 is a viable fighting weight for Floyd. I don't care who he fights, long as he fights. I'm just tired of waiting a year in between his fights.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
There are no shortage of opponents at 154, maybe not Pacquiao money opponents but there are plenty of fights. He needs to stop the bullshit and move up. 147 is a graveyard right now and judging by how big he looked against Ortiz, 154 is a viable fighting weight for Floyd. I don't care who he fights, long as he fights. I'm just tired of waiting a year in between his fights.

Floyd would be a 154 pound fighter against 170 lbs fighters so I think that plays against any decision of him moving up. The guys at jr middle need to concentrate on each other and not begging for Floyd and Manny to come up to fight them.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I see both sides of why 154 is and isn't a good move... I can't be mad if a guy has has already moved up 4 times and decides to finish his career where ever he is at and at the same time if he decides to move up, I wouldn't mind either.

merce77

Star
Registered
Sorry but Floyd looked bigger than Ortiz in there and Victor is built like a middleweight. Floyd isn't a small kid anymore, dude has filled out, 154 would not be a problem. It's better than him fighting guys moving up from 140 all the time. I mean damn, take a fucking risk. Even the fight everyone wants to see has Floyd at a huge physical advantage. Let's see how great he is when he's at the physical disadvantage. I still don't think there is anyone at 154 who can beat him. So the weight excuse is just that, an excuse.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Sorry but Floyd looked bigger than Ortiz in there and Victor is built like a middleweight. Floyd isn't a small kid anymore, dude has filled out, 154 would not be a problem. It's better than him fighting guys moving up from 140 all the time. I mean damn, take a fucking risk. Even the fight everyone wants to see has Floyd at a huge physical advantage. Let's see how great he is when he's at the physical disadvantage. I still don't think there is anyone at 154 who can beat him. So the weight excuse is just that, an excuse.

:confused: If you don't think they can beat him... is there really a risk:confused:

I get most of your point, but if it is all the same result... why not go after the money and fame at 140-147. They also have the youth and speed which means he can cement his legacy by putting loses on a lot of boxing's future and they will be a greater challenge for his defense.

The size advantage isn't going to affect his defense much, but they will have a better handle his offense better which only means potshots and more defense. Their size and speed disadvantage is only going to help his defensive game.

I still say Manny has the best chance to beat him and that is like it has always been about landing a lucky shot.

merce77

Star
Registered
:confused: If you don't think they can beat him... is there really a risk:confused:

I get most of your point, but if it is all the same result... why not go after the money and fame at 140-147. They also have the youth and speed which means he can cement his legacy by putting loses on a lot of boxing's future and they will be a greater challenge for his defense.

The size advantage isn't going to affect his defense much, but they will have a better handle his offense better which only means potshots and more defense. Their size and speed disadvantage is only going to help his defensive game.

I still say Manny has the best chance to beat him and that is like it has always been about landing a lucky shot.

C'mon man, there is a big difference in fighting a guy moving up from 140 and fighting a guy who's a natural 154 - more risk. If he's gonna stay at 147 and fight retreads or smaller guys then what is the difference between him and Pac? Khan and Pac want no parts of May so where are these future stars for him to fight? I hope you don't mean Bradley? Broner is talented but no where near ready, with the mismatched level of opposition he's fighting. 154 is stacked right now and is shaping up to be possibly the most exciting division north of welterweight. The difference is that a guy at 140lbs landing a good solid(lucky) shot against Floyd isn't a fight changer unless you're talking about Pacquiao. At 154, those guys might be slower, but when Floyd gets hit, he'll definitely feel it. There's not going to be a Pac fight, if he can fight Victor Ortiz, who's as big as a middleweight, he can fight Canelo or whoever at 154. The fight people wanna see ain't happening so go after some exciting, challenging prey, don't waste your time and talent hunting poodles. After watching his last couple fights, I call bullshit that Floyd isn't walking around heavier than 154, possibly 160.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
C'mon man, there is a big difference in fighting a guy moving up from 140 and fighting a guy who's a natural 154 - more risk. If he's gonna stay at 147 and fight retreads or smaller guys then what is the difference between him and Pac? Khan and Pac want no parts of May so where are these future stars for him to fight? I hope you don't mean Bradley? Broner is talented but no where near ready, with the mismatched level of opposition he's fighting. 154 is stacked right now and is shaping up to be possibly the most exciting division north of welterweight. The difference is that a guy at 140lbs landing a good solid(lucky) shot against Floyd isn't a fight changer unless you're talking about Pacquiao. At 154, those guys might be slower, but when Floyd gets hit, he'll definitely feel it. There's not going to be a Pac fight, if he can fight Victor Ortiz, who's as big as a middleweight, he can fight Canelo or whoever at 154. The fight people wanna see ain't happening so go after some exciting, challenging prey, don't waste your time and talent hunting poodles. After watching his last couple fights, I call bullshit that Floyd isn't walking around heavier than 154, possibly 160.

Khan is a good reason to stay. If Berto impressively beats Ortiz. Canelo could come down. Maidana is dangerous and a fan favorite. To top it off Pac is the retirement money.

If he goes up there's Kirkland, Canelo and Martinez. While I would love to see him fight these guys, Martinez is the only motherfucker worth moving up for and he is struggling to get the props and recognition he wants at 154. The money guy at 154 is Cotto and there is no way Arum is putting Cotto in front of Floyd. Kirk is an interesting match up, but after the lost to the Asian nobody why is he any better than Berto or Maidana? At least they lost to decent motherfuckers. I mean who are these motherfuckers at 154 that you see? Angulo isn't an option after that lost until he redeems himself and off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else that anyone outside of die hards who know... Am I missing somebody?

Shit going up and then trying to comeback might fuck up his body at his age. It would make sense if I knew for a fact the Pac deal was dead or after he beats Pac.

merce77

Star
Registered
Khan is a good reason to stay. If Berto impressively beats Ortiz. Canelo could come down. Maidana is dangerous and a fan favorite. To top it off Pac is the retirement money.

If he goes up there's Kirkland, Canelo and Martinez. While I would love to see him fight these guys, Martinez is the only motherfucker worth moving up for and he is struggling to get the props and recognition he wants at 154. The money guy at 154 is Cotto and there is no way Arum is putting Cotto in front of Floyd. Kirk is an interesting match up, but after the lost to the Asian nobody why is he any better than Berto or Maidana? At least they lost to decent motherfuckers. I mean who are these motherfuckers at 154 that you see? Angulo isn't an option after that lost until he redeems himself and off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else that anyone outside of die hards who know... Am I missing somebody?

Shit going up and then trying to comeback might fuck up his body at his age. It would make sense if I knew for a fact the Pac deal was dead or after he beats Pac.

Floyd could go in the ring weighing 147 and beat those guys at 154. All I'm saying is, his last few opponents have all been 140 guys moving up. Khan's talking about he needs multiple fights before he fights Floyd. Ortiz is dead on a rematch with Floyd. Berto could be a decent fight, as you say, if he looks impressive. Who else is there? Ya'll need to forget about Pac - that fight ain't happening. All I'm saying is - you're the best fighter on the planet, why stay at a stagnant weight class? To me it doesn't look good when you're the best, and you're calling out guys who are smaller than you. Even Ortiz looked type small in the ring with Floyd, so did Mosley. All I'm saying is that some of the criticism leveled on Floyd is warranted. You're the best fighter in the world - the second best don't wanna fight - fight the 3rd. Floyd is at the point right now, that he could fight Joe Schmo and make multiple millions and outsell Pac's PPV numbers. Fight Sergio or someone who is actually a bit of a threat. I liked that he fought Mosley and Ortiz back to back, they were the best possible opposition at the time. To me, fighting Khan or Bradley would be a step backwards.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Floyd could go in the ring weighing 147 and beat those guys at 154. All I'm saying is, his last few opponents have all been 140 guys moving up. Khan's talking about he needs multiple fights before he fights Floyd. Ortiz is dead on a rematch with Floyd. Berto could be a decent fight, as you say, if he looks impressive. Who else is there? Ya'll need to forget about Pac - that fight ain't happening. All I'm saying is - you're the best fighter on the planet, why stay at a stagnant weight class? To me it doesn't look good when you're the best, and you're calling out guys who are smaller than you. Even Ortiz looked type small in the ring with Floyd, so did Mosley. All I'm saying is that some of the criticism leveled on Floyd is warranted. You're the best fighter in the world - the second best don't wanna fight - fight the 3rd. Floyd is at the point right now, that he could fight Joe Schmo and make multiple millions and outsell Pac's PPV numbers. Fight Sergio or someone who is actually a bit of a threat. I liked that he fought Mosley and Ortiz back to back, they were the best possible opposition at the time. To me, fighting Khan or Bradley would be a step backwards.

I get the "fight Sergio" pov. I don't want to act like i don't want to see it, but I don't think Martinez has a better chance to win than Khan. As mean as his knock outs have been, he has looked reckless and has a lazy defense. He was losing that last fight until the knock out and it was simply because he was getting out boxed by a guy with decent fundamentals, but nothing amazing. You put that against Floyd and he won't get the chance to land a game changing shot.

We probably going to have to agree to disagree on the importance/value of the Martinez fight at this point, but I agree with everything else you said.

merce77

Star
Registered
I get the "fight Sergio" pov. I don't want to act like i don't want to see it, but I don't think Martinez has a better chance to win than Khan. As mean as his knock outs have been, he has looked reckless and has a lazy defense. He was losing that last fight until the knock out and it was simply because he was getting out boxed by a guy with decent fundamentals, but nothing amazing. You put that against Floyd and he won't get the chance to land a game changing shot.

We probably going to have to agree to disagree on the importance/value of the Martinez fight at this point, but I agree with everything else you said.

I was only bringing up Sergio because he's number 3 p4p and he's publicly said he would drain himself down to 154 to fight Floyd. He's still a bigger threat than Khan. He's used to fighting guys bigger than him so you know Floyd's punches will more than likely not faze him and that recklessness makes him unpredictable. Plus he has loads more experience than Amir. I could see Khan giving Floyd a decent fight right now, and probably a better fight with some more matches under his belt. I think the Peterson match will tell us a lot.

For some reason, the Maidana/Floyd interests me. I see Floyd picking him apart and ko'ing him late. But I could also see Maidana being unorthodox and bull headed enough to get in there and make Floyd have to fight. I'll put my money on the first scenario though.:lol:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I was only bringing up Sergio because he's number 3 p4p and he's publicly said he would drain himself down to 154 to fight Floyd. He's still a bigger threat than Khan. He's used to fighting guys bigger than him so you know Floyd's punches will more than likely not faze him and that recklessness makes him unpredictable. Plus he has loads more experience than Amir. I could see Khan giving Floyd a decent fight right now, and probably a better fight with some more matches under his belt. I think the Peterson match will tell us a lot.

For some reason, the Maidana/Floyd interests me. I see Floyd picking him apart and ko'ing him late. But I could also see Maidana being unorthodox and bull headed enough to get in there and make Floyd have to fight. I'll put my money on the first scenario though.:lol:

To be honest though. I want Martinez v Kirkland. Martinez is beating on these orthodox European fighters and the P Will win which are good, but I like to see another good tough match up for him. Kirkland isn't the best but he is tough.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Whoever is the easier opponent is who pbf will fight. Say what you want about manny. At least he takes on tough fights. I just don't think pbf is built that way. Pbf needs to move up in weight. He can take one last easy fight with canelo and move to a sergio fight. The canelo fight would be a high profile fight with at least some degree of risks on paper. Pbf and manny fight stinks. Cause even though manny has fough bigger guys. Pbf will dwarf him. Cause even juan was bigger than manny.

Erik and pbf would be interesting cause i just love watching erik fight.

merce77

Star
Registered
Whoever is the easier opponent is who pbf will fight. Say what you want about manny. At least he takes on tough fights. I just don't think pbf is built that way. Pbf needs to move up in weight. He can take one last easy fight with canelo and move to a sergio fight. The canelo fight would be a high profile fight with at least some degree of risks on paper. Pbf and manny fight stinks. Cause even though manny has fough bigger guys. Pbf will dwarf him. Cause even juan was bigger than manny.

:hmm:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

I'm not a big fan of a PBF vs Manny fight. I think PBF is to big for him. Plus I don't think the fight will be exciting. And finally I really believe PBF will win the match hands down. I like seeing fights that I don't feel like I'm sure of who will win. Lol, unless it is Erik or Bhop.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Team Pac will avoid their cash cow any big lost right now....door is wide open for any decent/good boxer from 140-154 to cash in against Money...still doesn't mean they will win tho!

:lol:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Team Pac will avoid their cash cow any big lost right now....door is wide open for any decent/good boxer from 140-154 to cash in against Money...still doesn't mean they will win tho!

:lol:

I don't think anyone at 140 or 147 has a chance against PBF. I 154 which is where I have been saying for years is his proper weight class to shine and 160 is where is makes his legend. There are some challenges and I can see him being undisputed at 154. Unless he catches a lucky punch. 154 should be easy. PBF has to just leave the lil guys alone. I like to see him against Sturm, Sergio, and Chavez. That is where he makes his legend to me. Cause he would finally be in some fights where he wouldn't be the favorite or it would be even. That wouldn't happen with any fight 140-154.

Manny has dropped down imo. If he isn't calling the shots and not making the pbf fight. that hurts him in my eyes.

merce77

Star
Registered
I don't think anyone at 140 or 147 has a chance against PBF. I 154 which is where I have been saying for years is his proper weight class to shine and 160 is where is makes his legend. There are some challenges and I can see him being undisputed at 154. Unless he catches a lucky punch. 154 should be easy. PBF has to just leave the lil guys alone. I like to see him against Sturm, Sergio, and Chavez. That is where he makes his legend to me. Cause he would finally be in some fights where he wouldn't be the favorite or it would be even. That wouldn't happen with any fight 140-154.

Manny has dropped down imo. If he isn't calling the shots and not making the pbf fight. that hurts him in my eyes.

I hate to agree. I think that's all that's holding even his biggest haters from saying that he's a legend. I want him to shut these fuckers up, that's all.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I hate to agree. I think that's all that's holding even his biggest haters from saying that he's a legend. I want him to shut these fuckers up, that's all.

I don't think anything will do it. Do you not remember the pivot motherfuckers made on the he has to fight real welterweights to he has to fight the best welterweight(Mosley) to he has to fight Pac to he has to fight Sergio and the number one hater on this board is even going to middleweight....:lol:

Floyd could beat up Dr. Doom and these motherfuckers will say he has to fight Galactus.

Last edited:

merce77

Star
Registered
I don't think anything will do it. Do you not remember the pivot motherfuckers made on the he has to fight real welterweights to he has to fight the best welterweights to he has to fight Pac to he has to fight Sergio and the number one hater on this board is even going to middleweight....:lol:

Floyd could beat up Dr. Doom and these motherfuckers will say he has to fight Galactus.

Floyd could take Galactus, he needs to move up in weight and fight The Beyonder.:D

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

:hmm:
They were having a good one and you fucked it up with silly shit.

And you need meds.

:lol::lol:
I don't think anything will do it. Do you not remember the pivot motherfuckers made on the he has to fight real welterweights to he has to fight the best welterweight(Mosley) to he has to fight Pac to he has to fight Sergio and the number one hater on this board is even going to middleweight....:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
Floyd could take Galactus, he needs to move up in weight and fight The Beyonder.:D

Oh fuck. Old school comic geeks stand up !!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

merce
I agree he could make 154 but he would have to gain weight to do so and probably still come up short and he would be fighting guys who would weight closer to 170 than 160. That goes back to what I hate about boxing. If they went to same day weigh ins so fighters, it would change the weigh a lot of fighters pick their division. As it is, with him fighting at 147, he weighs 147 while the other guy outweighs him by 10 lbs or more. His advantage seems to be he's naturally a welterweight while most other guys are cutting weight to make 147 and then rehydrating, leaving his stronger come fight night.
But if he can get Sergio to meet him at 154, that's the fight I would love to see.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
We have to be real... it doesn't matter who Floyd beats. It's about Floyd losing. A 40 year old Floyd could lose a decision to Dawson at Cruiserweight after beating everyone else that's important and there would be motherfuckers talking about "he never took a challenge until that fight and was exposed".

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Oh fuck. Old school comic geeks stand up !!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

merce
I agree he could make 154 but he would have to gain weight to do so and probably still come up short and he would be fighting guys who would weight closer to 170 than 160. That goes back to what I hate about boxing. If they went to same day weigh ins so fighters, it would change the weigh a lot of fighters pick their division. As it is, with him fighting at 147, he weighs 147 while the other guy outweighs him by 10 lbs or more. His advantage seems to be he's naturally a welterweight while most other guys are cutting weight to make 147 and then rehydrating, leaving his stronger come fight night.
But if he can get Sergio to meet him at 154, that's the fight I would love to see.

Co sign the weight thing.

Nah, just heavy into Sat morning cartoons and with my son being heavy into that shit... I'm right back into that shit and I have watching the old shit to... on a side note... the TMNT cartoon from back in the day is the most incoherent piece of bullshit

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
You pbf fans crack me up? How many tough fights has he had? How many fights has he had were he wasn't the favorite? There is no denying his talents and skills. But he is a product of awesome match making. Because if you are as skilled as he is. Then 42-0 isn't out the realm of possibilities. Stop crying about him not getting credit. When pbf picks the fights that open him up to the critics. Dude is a great talent. But until he defines himself as a FIGHTER. Not just a money making machine. It is hard to give him credit over fighters with loses that fought opponents that challenged them.

Dave. You don't think manny takes tough fights?

Last edited:

merce77

Star
Registered
you pbf fans crack me up? How many tough fights has he had? How many fights has he had were he wasn't the favorite? There is no denying his talents and skills. But he is a product of awesome match making. Because if you are as skilled as he is. Then 42-0 isn't out the realm of possibilities. Stop crying about him not getting credit. When pbf picks the fights that open him up to the critics. Dude is a great talent. but until i define myself as a writer, not just a Money hating machine. It is hard to give him credit over blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

dave. You don't think manny takes tough fights?

fixed!

And yes, old school comic geek and cartoon aficionado.:D

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

if he fights Pac & wins he should definitely move up to 154....other than Khan possibly fighting him at 147 there isn't much left for him at 147 IMO....