Biden doesn't want to fight for 50,000 student loan relief. It's too hard

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor

Thanks bro..

Has anyone heard anything back since having submitted that short form by the October 2022 deadline? I haven't heard anything about my account specifically, so just checking..

My loan servicer changed over the pandemic (FedLoan to Aidvantage) so I haven't had to deal with the new servicer at all, beyond confirming my info online. It still shows the same loan amount, etc.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks bro..

Has anyone heard anything back since having submitted that short form by the October 2022 deadline? I haven't heard anything about my account specifically, so just checking..

My loan servicer changed over the pandemic (FedLoan to Aidvantage) so I haven't had to deal with the new servicer at all, beyond confirming my info online. It still shows the same loan amount, etc.
Have you looked on studentaid.gov?

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Have you looked on studentaid.gov?

I logged into studentaid.gov just now to peep the status... my account still shows the same loan amounts, and has this banner at the top:

Student Loan Debt Relief Is Blocked
Courts have issued orders blocking our student debt relief program. As a result, at this time, we are not accepting applications. We are seeking to overturn those orders. If you've already applied, we'll hold your application. Subscribe and check back here for updates. We will post information as soon as further updates are available.

..so I guess they're "holding" my application, but I don't see anything on my account that says when it was received. Does that sound normal?

EDIT: I was able to dig up the email from 10/15/2022 saying that my application was submitted. It's still a waiting game from here as far as anything being reflected on accounts though, right?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I logged into studentaid.gov just now to peep the status... my account still shows the same loan amounts, and has this banner at the top:

..so I guess they're "holding" my application, but I don't see anything on my account that says when it was received. Does that sound normal?

EDIT: I was able to dig up the email from 10/15/2022 saying that my application was submitted. It's still a waiting game from here as far as anything being reflected on accounts though, right?

I think it's there until the Supreme Court figures out wtf they are going to rule on...

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
This is probably old news, but I was filling out my bracket and I saw it on the Yahoo home page (might also be targeting my cookies).

Student Loan Forgiveness: Biden’s ‘Fresh Start’ Plan Deemed $34 Billion Success — How It Benefits Borrowers

Laura Gariepy
Mon, March 13, 2023 at 10:16 AM EDT·2 min read

President Biden’s Fresh Start program has placed $34 billion worth of delinquent or defaulted student loan accounts into “current” status

According to the New York Federal Reserve’s Q4 2022 Household Debt and Credit report, the initiative has resulted in less than 1% of all student debt being delinquent or in default.

Fresh Start Program Details
The Fresh Start program will run for one year after the COVID-19 payment pause ends (currently no later than June 30, 2023). As an eligible borrower, you can receive the following benefits:
  • The ability to apply for federal student aid and other federal loans, such as mortgages (revoked when your student loans went into default)
  • Relief from collection calls, wage garnishments, and Social Security and tax refund withholding
  • The opportunity to rehabilitate student loans at a later date (normally, you only get one chance to do so)
  • Access to income-driven repayment (IDR) plans, student loan forgiveness programs, deferment and forbearance
  • Removal of the account default from your credit report
However, you must choose to participate in the program by making a repayment arrangement during the Fresh Start period. If you don’t, you’ll lose access to these perks.
Your loans must also be eligible for the program. Eligible loans include defaulted Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL) and Perkins Loans held by the Department of Education.
Take Our Poll: Do You Think Bankruptcy Is an Acceptable Way To Escape Student Loan Debt?

.. I apologize if this was redundant, but didn't want ya'll to miss any info.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is probably old news, but I was filling out my bracket and I saw it on the Yahoo home page (might also be targeting my cookies).

.. I apologize if this was redundant, but didn't want ya'll to miss any info.
This is definitely a success! Too bad the media isn’t talking about it enough

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
This is definitely a success! Too bad the media isn’t talking about it enough

Yup.. Like I think you've said before: it's not just about forgiveness in a lot of cases, it's about folks being able to finally MANAGE their loan account in a reasonable way. Both sides benefit from a fair outcome.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
College Student Accused Of $1 Million Credit Card Scam Appears In Court

19 year old Ariel Foster, a Lasell University student was released on bail

arielfoster-640ab155dc01c-e1678422478740-768x432.png

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Utah Rep. Burgess Owens (R) to lead congressional hearing on ‘unlawful’ student loan forgiveness program

The Utah Republican, who has filed for bankruptcy protection multiple times, said ‘debt cannot be canceled.’

By Bryan Schott
March 21, 2023, 4:53 a.m.

Utah’s Rep. Burgess Owens will chair a congressional hearing on the Biden administration’s student loan forgiveness plan later this week.

The program, which cancels up to $20,000 of student loan debt for tens of millions of borrowers, is currently on hold pending a ruling from the Supreme Court.

When the GOP took control of the House following the 2022 midterms, Owens was tapped to chair the Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development. He has titled Thursday’s hearing “Breaking the System: Examining the Implications of Biden’s Student Loan Policies for Students and Taxpayers.”

Owens highlighted the upcoming hearing on social media Monday afternoon.

“We are holding hearings to examine Joe Biden’s unlawful executive action to transfer hundreds of billions of dollars in student debt onto the American taxpayer,” Owens tweeted from his personal account.

In a press release, Owens telegraphed how the hearing would play out, arguing that President Joe Biden has no authority to cancel student debt unilaterally.

“Debt cannot be canceled, only transferred from those who borrowed to those who did not,” Owens said. “Creating an offramp for responsibility, driving up college costs, disincentivizing real loan reform, and forcing hard-working American taxpayers to pay for someone else’s loans is nothing more than a backdoor attempt at free college with abysmal implications for students, taxpayers, and our economy.”

Now in his second term as a member of Congress, Owens has been one of the most vocal opponents of student loan forgiveness among Utah’s delegation in Washington. When President Joe Biden first announced the program last summer, Owens said it was unconstitutional and would “aggravate inflation and add $60 billion to our country’s deficit.” When a legal challenge to the policy was elevated to the Supreme Court, Owens signed on to an amicus brief urging the program be overturned.

During his first campaign in 2020, Owens was dogged by claims that he had filed for bankruptcy protection multiple times. Federal court records show Owens filed for bankruptcy five times. In 1991, Owens filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection in New York. No court documents were available for this claim. In 2005, Owens again filed for Chapter 7 protection in Pennsylvania with creditors claiming $1.7 million in debts owed. The case was discharged in 2005 after over $200,000 was paid. The remaining three Chapter 13 filings by Owens were dismissed.

Owens does appear to have some skin in the game on the student loan issue. On his latest personal financial disclosure, Owens lists a student loan taken out in 2001 for his daughter to attend Syracuse University. Owens says the balance on the loan is between $50,000 and $100,000.

Owens’ office did not respond to questions about his daughter’s student loan or his previous bankruptcies.

Owens is not alone among Utah’s congressional delegation opposed to student loan forgiveness. Last year, Sen. Mitt Romney called the proposed debt cancellation a “bribe,” while Sen. Mike Lee suggested the move was a politically motivated giveaway.

Earlier this year, Lee and Romney were among 40 Republicans in the Senate who filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court supporting the legal challenge to Biden’s student debt relief plan.

Click Above Link To View Social Media

1g-dP8G9_400x400.jpg

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Utah Rep. Burgess Owens (R) to lead congressional hearing on ‘unlawful’ student loan forgiveness program

The Utah Republican, who has filed for bankruptcy protection multiple times, said ‘debt cannot be canceled.’

By Bryan Schott
March 21, 2023, 4:53 a.m.

Utah’s Rep. Burgess Owens will chair a congressional hearing on the Biden administration’s student loan forgiveness plan later this week.

The program, which cancels up to $20,000 of student loan debt for tens of millions of borrowers, is currently on hold pending a ruling from the Supreme Court.

When the GOP took control of the House following the 2022 midterms, Owens was tapped to chair the Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development. He has titled Thursday’s hearing “Breaking the System: Examining the Implications of Biden’s Student Loan Policies for Students and Taxpayers.”

Owens highlighted the upcoming hearing on social media Monday afternoon.

“We are holding hearings to examine Joe Biden’s unlawful executive action to transfer hundreds of billions of dollars in student debt onto the American taxpayer,” Owens tweeted from his personal account.

In a press release, Owens telegraphed how the hearing would play out, arguing that President Joe Biden has no authority to cancel student debt unilaterally.

“Debt cannot be canceled, only transferred from those who borrowed to those who did not,” Owens said. “Creating an offramp for responsibility, driving up college costs, disincentivizing real loan reform, and forcing hard-working American taxpayers to pay for someone else’s loans is nothing more than a backdoor attempt at free college with abysmal implications for students, taxpayers, and our economy.”

Now in his second term as a member of Congress, Owens has been one of the most vocal opponents of student loan forgiveness among Utah’s delegation in Washington. When President Joe Biden first announced the program last summer, Owens said it was unconstitutional and would “aggravate inflation and add $60 billion to our country’s deficit.” When a legal challenge to the policy was elevated to the Supreme Court, Owens signed on to an amicus brief urging the program be overturned.

During his first campaign in 2020, Owens was dogged by claims that he had filed for bankruptcy protection multiple times. Federal court records show Owens filed for bankruptcy five times. In 1991, Owens filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection in New York. No court documents were available for this claim. In 2005, Owens again filed for Chapter 7 protection in Pennsylvania with creditors claiming $1.7 million in debts owed. The case was discharged in 2005 after over $200,000 was paid. The remaining three Chapter 13 filings by Owens were dismissed.

Owens does appear to have some skin in the game on the student loan issue. On his latest personal financial disclosure, Owens lists a student loan taken out in 2001 for his daughter to attend Syracuse University. Owens says the balance on the loan is between $50,000 and $100,000.

Owens’ office did not respond to questions about his daughter’s student loan or his previous bankruptcies.

Owens is not alone among Utah’s congressional delegation opposed to student loan forgiveness. Last year, Sen. Mitt Romney called the proposed debt cancellation a “bribe,” while Sen. Mike Lee suggested the move was a politically motivated giveaway.

Earlier this year, Lee and Romney were among 40 Republicans in the Senate who filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court supporting the legal challenge to Biden’s student debt relief plan.

Click Above Link To View Social Media

1g-dP8G9_400x400.jpg

ny1800

Rising Star
Registered
This is why most if not all politicians ain't shit. Biden has been dangling this over people's heads for 3 years now. Fuck him!!!! He could have easily canceled the debt, they sent money to Isreal, Ukraine, and Afghanistan but can't do this for American citizens.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is why most if not all politicians ain't shit. Biden has been dangling this over people's heads for 3 years now. Fuck him!!!! He could have easily canceled the debt, they sent money to Isreal, Ukraine, and Afghanistan but can't do this for American citizens.
What exactly could he have done that he didn't already do when the Repubs held it up in court?

He literally wipe away up to 20,000 per person when it went to court.

Please explain

ny1800

Rising Star
Registered
What exactly could he have done that he didn't already do when the Repubs held it up in court?

Please explain

Wipe out more, those loans are very predatory and the financial institutions get a free line of credit from the government to do what they want. Do more for the people. Stop sending money to foreign countries. These politicians gotta serve us the ones who elected them and the ones that they have sworn to serve. If it means those politicians live financially average lives and putting fire to the wealthy 1 percent, so be it.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wipe out more, those loans are very predatory and the financial institutions get a free line of credit from the government to do what they want. Do more for the people. Stop sending money to foreign countries. These politicians gotta serve us the ones who elected them and the ones that they have sworn to serve. If it means those politicians live financially average lives and putting fire to the wealthy 1 percent, so be it.
Don't disagree with anything you said.

Just pointing out the realities of the world we live in. Folks freaked out over 20,000 of forgiveness. Plus the sad reality is that a few of the folks you are asking to forgive those loans have financial interests tied to those payments. God forbid if you ask rich folks making millions (or billions if your Betsy Devos) to give up a small percentage of profits to help regular folk.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

George Washington would disapprove of what this country has become. They wanted to deify him and make him King and he said hell naw. He'd probably gut Trump like a fish.

He didn't want politicians to be above average "citizens"...of course that meant landowning white men back then but you get my point.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't disagree with anything you said.

Just pointing out the realities of the world we live in. Folks freaked out over 20,000 of forgiveness. Plus the sad reality is that a few of the folks you are asking to forgive those loans have financial interests tied to those payments. God forbid if you ask rich folks making millions (or billions if your Betsy Devos) to give up a small percentage of profits to help regular folk.
Fuck Betsy Devos!

I try to tell people if that bitch was still over the department of education this entire thread wouldn’t have been created.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
George Washington would disapprove of what this country has become. They wanted to deify him and make him King and he said hell naw. He'd probably gut Trump like a fish.

He didn't want politicians to be above average "citizens"...of course that meant landowning white men back then but you get my point.
Yup. He was a mason and the reason why he told Benjamin Banneker to design DC(outside of the fact Benjamin Banneker came from royal lineage).

One small nugget - george Washington university was created by him because he wanted a school where government workers could get educated before working for the federal government.

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In 1775, during the Revolutionary Wars, George Washington became a General of the American Army. Washington is revered as a successful, strong and passionate leader.

Upon his appointment as General, Washington banned all African American soldiers from the Army. He idealized an army of white men.

Two years later, in 1777, Washington was forced to overturn his decision due to recruitment shortages. As a thank you (and perhaps as an apology), enlisted black soldiers were promised freedom from slavery.

Nevertheless, the banishment of black soldiers in 1775 manifested stark inequality. [1]

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Statement from Secretary Cardona on Speaker McCarthy’s Debt Ceiling Proposal​

APRIL 19, 2023

Today, U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona issued the following statement after Speaker Kevin McCarthy released a proposal that would cancel the Biden-Harris Administration’s targeted, one-time debt relief program:
“Today, Speaker McCarthy declared that he will force a catastrophic default and plunge America into recession unless he can claw back school relief dollars and prevent millions of hardworking Americans – including over 83,000 borrowers in his own district – from getting the student debt relief they need coming out of the pandemic. It's a shame for students and working families across the country that Republican lawmakers, many of whom benefitted from hundreds of thousands of dollars in small business loan forgiveness, continue to fight hypocritically to deny critical student debt relief to millions of their own constituents. While President Biden, Vice President Harris, and I continue working to deliver much-needed relief to borrowers working to get back on their feet after the pandemic, Speaker McCarthy’s proposal tells us everything we need to know about what he and his allies value—tax cuts for the super rich, special interests, and big corporations over support for hardworking Americans.”
Overall, more than 40 million borrowers would qualify for the Biden Administration’s debt relief program. Nearly 90 percent of the benefits of the relief going to out-of-school borrowers would go to those earning less than $75,000 per year.
Additional information:
  • In Kevin McCarthy’s district, 83,400 borrowers are eligible for student debt relief, 49,800 borrowers applied or were automatically eligible for relief, and 31,600 borrowers were fully approved for debt relief before special interests sued to block the debt relief program from moving forward. See additional congressional district data here.
  • Rep. Kevin Hern had $1,082,302 in his own Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)loans forgiven. He represents 112,400 borrowers eligible for student debt relief.
  • Rep. Matt Gaetz had $482,321 in his own PPP loans forgiven. He represents 75,000 borrowers eligible for student debt relief.
  • Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene had $183,504 in her own PPP loans forgiven. She represents 91,800 borrowers eligible for student debt relief.
  • Rep. Vern Buchanan had $2,353,167 in his own PPP loans forgiven. He represents 95,400 borrowers eligible for student debt relief.
  • Rep. Brett Guthrie had $4,416,574 in his own PPP loans forgiven. He represents 90,800 borrowers eligible for student debt relief.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BITCHES

House GOP debt limit plan would block Biden’s student loan agenda, prohibit future relief​

The legislation would also bar the Biden administration from moving forward with a new income-driven repayment plan that cuts monthly payments for most borrowers and shortens the timeline to loan forgiveness for some borrowers.

White House calls GOP effort to block student debt relief ‘unfortunate’
In addition, the GOP plan would permanently prohibit the Education Department from issuing any significant regulation or executive action that would increase the long-term cost to the government of operating the federal student loan programs.

Such a sweeping prohibition would imperil efforts by the administration to provide additional relief or benefits to student loan borrowers. That would include any backup option for canceling large amounts of student debt if the Supreme Court rejects Biden’s student debt relief plan in the coming months.

Key context: The provisions are among dozens of policy changes and spending caps that House Republicans included in their 320-page legislation to raise the debt limit by $1.5 trillion or until March of next year, whichever comes first.

Republicans have argued that they want concessions from the administration that lower the federal deficit and reduce spending in exchange for their votes to raise the nation’s borrowing limit.

'I'm not there yet': Lawmakers react to McCarthy's debt ceiling plan
McCarthy said he hopes to pass it in the House next week. But the proposal stands no chance of passing the Democrat-controlled Senate.

Biden swiftly dismissed McCarthy’s proposal as a nonstarter. “That’s the MAGA economic agenda: spending cuts for working and middle class folks,” Biden said of the plan on Wednesday. “It’s not about fiscal discipline, it’s about cutting benefits for folks that they don’t seem to care much about.”

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor

Please explain

He could have made concessions. Gave more oversight and reductions to Medicaid and Social Security in return. Basically cutting into the fraud. Republicans are most concerned with spending in Government Assistance programs and not so much student loans because they would benefit too.

Biden has been throwing out policies that he knows won’t get voted in just to make it look like he is trying.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
BITCHES

House GOP debt limit plan would block Biden’s student loan agenda, prohibit future relief​

The legislation would also bar the Biden administration from moving forward with a new income-driven repayment plan that cuts monthly payments for most borrowers and shortens the timeline to loan forgiveness for some borrowers.

White House calls GOP effort to block student debt relief ‘unfortunate’
In addition, the GOP plan would permanently prohibit the Education Department from issuing any significant regulation or executive action that would increase the long-term cost to the government of operating the federal student loan programs.

Such a sweeping prohibition would imperil efforts by the administration to provide additional relief or benefits to student loan borrowers. That would include any backup option for canceling large amounts of student debt if the Supreme Court rejects Biden’s student debt relief plan in the coming months.

Key context: The provisions are among dozens of policy changes and spending caps that House Republicans included in their 320-page legislation to raise the debt limit by $1.5 trillion or until March of next year, whichever comes first.

Republicans have argued that they want concessions from the administration that lower the federal deficit and reduce spending in exchange for their votes to raise the nation’s borrowing limit.

'I'm not there yet': Lawmakers react to McCarthy's debt ceiling plan
McCarthy said he hopes to pass it in the House next week. But the proposal stands no chance of passing the Democrat-controlled Senate.

Biden swiftly dismissed McCarthy’s proposal as a nonstarter. “That’s the MAGA economic agenda: spending cuts for working and middle class folks,” Biden said of the plan on Wednesday. “It’s not about fiscal discipline, it’s about cutting benefits for folks that they don’t seem to care much about.”
Wow. Evil bastards.