Anyone investing heavily this year??

How much money did you lose/gain this past week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
True but if you only have enough money to buy a couple stocks, I would put half in a index fund and the rest in individual stocks and grow from there until I can buy enough different companies to be diversified.

The question I'm really asking is why not invest in another sector. OK I get it, tech stocks are booming but it looks like double dipping.

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is kind of what I did in May when we got stimulated for the first time. Opened another brokerage account with a mixed portfolio. After a LOT of pruning I have 4 ETFs (ARKK, QCLN, SPYG, VSGX) + 5 individual companies (WMT, XOM, WKHS, NVDA, DKNG). I have conviction in the individuals for different reasons, but depend on the ETFs to stabilize my over all gains.

This is diversified!

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
This is diversified!

This mix is working well. Not spreading myself too thin and just trying to be smart with my deposits. At this point in time I don't exactly set and forget, I try to put more dough into whatever is down at deposit time.. so lately its been XOM and WKHS. But my next monthly deposit on the first is gonna be more towards the market ETFs..

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
I have a question......

I see people buy ETF that track the S&P 500 or NASDAQ
Then buy individual stocks such as Amazon, Tesla, Google, Apple, Microsoft for long term holds.

Why would a person not put all in the money in the ETF or the individual stocks?

Risk. In my IRA, I don't really invest in individual stocks (even though the return could be amazing) because I figure I need this money for retirement. That stock tanks, IRA takes a hit (think Xerox in the late 90s). I'm not that active in my IRA as well. The mutual funds though may take a hit if the market slumps but one stock won't sink it. Now, my Brokerage is a different story.

E.g: my IRA has $SOXX ETF while my Brokerage has $TSM/$AMD.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Risk management
I have a question......

I see people buy ETF that track the S&P 500 or NASDAQ
Then buy individual stocks such as Amazon, Tesla, Google, Apple, Microsoft for long term holds.

Why would a person not put all in the money in the ETF or the individual stocks?
Risk management. Anyone can make an ETF, it is basically a specialized mutual fund in a certain sector. An individual stock in a sector could be killing it while the entire sector is down (and vice versa). This can also help you find potential short opportunities. For example EV is booming right now so in theory EV stocks should all be up but we know that isn’t the case. These things can be calculated with financial formulas or a financial calculator.

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Risk management

Risk management. Anyone can make an ETF, it is basically a specialized mutual fund in a certain sector. An individual stock in a sector could be killing it while the entire sector is down (and vice versa). This can also help you find potential short opportunities. For example EV is booming right now so in theory EV stocks should all be up but we know that isn’t the case. These things can be calculated with financial formulas or a financial calculator.

You are right, I was just looking at the market indexes and how the individual stocks perform on the day.
It also depends on how much weight each stocks hold in the ETF.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You are right, I was just looking at the market indexes and how the individual stocks perform on the day.
It also depends on how much weight each stocks hold in the ETF.
Correct! My favorite ETFs were $UWT and $DWTI during the oil wars. 3x leveraged and could run hard in either direction. They were retired though. Also $JNUG / $JDST and $NUGT / $DUST

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Correct! My favorite ETFs were $UWT and $DWTI during the oil wars. 3x leveraged and could run hard in either direction. They were retired though. Also $JNUG / $JDST and $NUGT / $DUST

Another reason I realized, individual stocks do have splits.
Amazon, Netlix, and Nvidia all have splits that turn ppl in millionaires just from investing $100 - $7000 in the past 23 yrs.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Excellent - I got a bunch of $F for the cheap. They are now giving bout shares of Facebook.
Is it any funny hidden fees. I seen something about paper mailing statements and charging for it. Can you just get electronic statements ?

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
You can buy into companies that are not publicly traded by calling investors relations and asking how but you can also invest in private companies via the stock market via proxy (e.g. if you own $BRK-A, you have ownership in GEICO)

True.. Also Tesla --> Space X.

Cathie Wood been on some bullshit lately, but I know she's also mentioned trying to make a Public-Private fund sometime in the future. To give retail investors exposure to pre-IPO companies too.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Stocks To Watch: Huge Earnings Week Highlighted By Apple, Tesla And Microsoft Reports
Jan. 23, 2021 8:15 AM ET

Long/Short Equity, Special Situations

A blockbuster week of earnings is on tap with heavyweights like Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) and Caterpillar set to report, along with companies under the gun like General Electric (NYSE:GE) and Boeing (NYSE:BA). For pure entertainment, the Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) earnings call holds some intrigue. The electric vehicle maker's 2021 deliveries guidance (825K to 875K expected) is the headliner of Tesla earnings day. Also next week, stimulus talk and a FOMC meeting are on the calendar. Another big wildcard for the week could be positive data from Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) on its single-shot vaccine.

Efkie

International
International Member
#tradingknowledge

https://optionstrat.com/
Option profit calculations made easy
Find and edit option strategies in real-time to gain a visual understanding of your trades

In my quest to figure out hedging stock i own (for cheap) with options I came across

Food for thought.
Nice idea , too bad of that proprietary tool. :cool:

Last edited:

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
OUooGLw.png

One of Sain's easy money plays. Analyst rating is poor IMO, so make sure you are in and out of this one. It has had increased volume since the 15th, so if this continues we could see a squeeze (see chart) up to almost $7. I'd like to see it back at $2.60 before the run up.