Any IT Security Heads here?

Venom

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
CompTIA allows you to take Project + online from home. They will be offering more exams online in the future.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
preciate it man........best part is.....one job is 100% remote.
i will be working that job while at the other one.
Told my wife she can quit her job if she wants.

what was your path like? the hardest part is breaking in? what you did before it?

1. did you just study all day to get in? did you work part time, or not at all. and just. grinded?

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
what was your path like? the hardest part is breaking in? what you did before it?

1. did you just study all day to get in? did you work part time, or not at all. and just. grinded?
Gotta be determined. Go into these interviews with the mindset that u are the best man for the job. Dont just impress em with the knowledge of your shit......blow them the fuck way.
Once u get in.....show the desire to be crosstrained in other areas to get that hands on experience..
Im currently taking courses un AWS Solutions Architect and Certified Ethical Hacking.....moving on to cloud architecture and cloud security.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Gotta be determined. Go into these interviews with the mindset that u are the best man for the job. Dont just impress em with the knowledge of your shit......blow them the fuck way.
Once u get in.....show the desire to be crosstrained in other areas to get that hands on experience..
Im currently taking courses un AWS Solutions Architect and Certified Ethical Hacking.....moving on to cloud architecture and cloud security.

thanks, I'll ask a spin off thread.... I'm talking about starting from step one.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Almost done with my AWS Solutions Architect course......and since i will be following that up with the AWS Developer course,
i went ahead and signed up for Python 3, Hadoop, MapReduce, HDFS, Spark, Pig, Hive, HBase, MongoDB, Cassandra, and Flume.
I have never been more fuckin focused.

bwb

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Almost done with my AWS Solutions Architect course......and since i will be following that up with the AWS Developer course,
i went ahead and signed up for Python 3, Hadoop, MapReduce, HDFS, Spark, Pig, Hive, HBase, MongoDB, Cassandra, and Flume.
get after it bruh

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Have you taken the AWS certifications yet?

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Have you taken the AWS certifications yet?
no im taking the Solutions Architect exam next month. i want to be able to take my CEH exam next month as well....but i dont think i will be done with that course til the end of next month. so i'll probably take that one in October.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
no im taking the Solutions Architect exam next month. i want to be able to take my CEH exam next month as well....but i dont think i will be done with that course til the end of next month. so i'll probably take that one in October.

Dang you really are focused fam...Are you getting these certifications just to get them or are you following a specific track?

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dang you really are focused fam...Are you getting these certifications just to get them or are you following a specific track?
tryin to move away from the System Admin/Network Admin role....and get into Cloud Architect, Cloud/Cyber Security, and Cloud Developer type opportunities.
Some of those jobs are starting at like $160-170k. I'm playing myself short by not pushing myself to the limit. Eventho i make really good money now....i simply cannot settle. I owe my family and myself that much at least.

superfusion

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm a help desk tech thinking about applying for a help desk tier 2 position. What would be another path to take instead of the tier 2 position? I'm kinda tired of this help desk job.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yo everybody FOLLOW THIS SHIT. That's the biggest thing now with cloud as you probably saw the security breaches with customers storing information in AWS S3 services and not securing it. Cloud is no damn good if you don't know how to secure it. If you working with government, basically know the NIST 800-53 and the security control families (at least at the low level minimal). Even though people hate to do it, the hardest part is actually documenting shit as people hardly ever do it. The more you document, the easier it is to work with security groups.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm a help desk tech thinking about applying for a help desk tier 2 position. What would be another path to take instead of the tier 2 position? I'm kinda tired of this help desk job.
if you're good at helpdesk......then its time to advance and get your hands dirty.
start applying for Desktop Support roles......preferably in an environment where they utilize both PC & Mac,
so you can get your get experience with hands on troubleshooting, imaging (SCCM, Casper, Deploy Studio, etc), AD & Exchange account creation.
I've been on the helpdesk before, and eventually ended up running and managing a helpdesk of 60 people....i know how stressful and tiresome
answering the phone 60-70 times a day can be. But definitely don't settle.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

you aint playin wit these muthafuckas mayne..

respect!

robfmnola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Coldchi is right. Help desk is a good starting point and necessary, But you want to at least move up to sysad.
and once you get there you should keep going. I stated at desktop support and now im an SDC Engineer. Funny thing is they all go hand in hand but just more money. Keep moving bruh. Don't stop at help desk.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you aint playin wit these muthafuckas mayne..

respect!
yeah my wife can't believe I'm juggling all this shit.
I'm due to have 5 new certs before the end of the year.....and i may stay at my current job (yet different position) once i get em.
AWS Solutions Architect
AWS Developer
AWS SysOps Administrator (just added this one on last week)
CISSP
CEH

tryin to decide whether or not I want to learn Docker as well.....but i'll think i'll wait till i get some of this other shit off my plate.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm due to have 5 new certs before the end of the year.....and i may stay at my current job (yet different position) once i get em.
AWS Solutions Architect
AWS Developer
CISSP
CEH

tryin to decide whether or not I want to learn Docker as well.....but i'll think i'll wait till i get some of this other shit off my plate.

Dope you can take them skills anywhere

Weren't you laid off not to long ago

If so that shit was a blessing in disguise

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dope you can take them skills anywhere

Weren't you laid off not to long ago

If so that shit was a blessing in disguise
yeah man......i really wasn't worried about finding a job......it was just about finding the right job.
I'm currently with another huge ass company and doing a lot of things at the moment to help with the server, domain, and exchange migration
with the merger/acquisition of NTTData & Dell IT Services.
Seems like the last 3 companies i've been with, have been the Top 3 in something....

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
AWS Solutions Architect
AWS Developer
CISSP
CEH

I always had a working relationship with the security dudes but I'm now recognizing that the more project managers I work with they have no fucking clue about security. They want to build their project schedule out and have no damn clue what it take to get an Authority to Operate (ATO) for their project. Security has to be built into your project from the get-go and if not you will be paying more for it in the future. Funny that you mention docker as everybody wants to do that but can't do the simple fundamental IT shit. It's almost like why are you trying to dunk a basketball when you can't even make a fucking lay-up?

Sango

Rising Star
Platinum Member
AWS Solutions Architect
AWS Developer
CISSP
CEH

I need that CISSP!!!! Can't find enough time or the focus to get it done. Props btw.

kmillz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yeah man......i really wasn't worried about finding a job......it was just about finding the right job.
I'm currently with another huge ass company and doing a lot of things at the moment to help with the server, domain, and exchange migration
with the merger/acquisition of NTTData & Dell IT Services.
Seems like the last 3 companies i've been with, have been the Top 3 in something....

I work for Ntt data here in the west Chicago suburbs.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Anyone here use Splunk at the job? I love that shit.
I agree. Splunk is very powerful. Splunk engineers make good money too. I have to make time to do my Splunk Power User eLearning courses.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I work for Ntt data here in the west Chicago suburbs.
yeah i actually have to come up that way some time soon. gotta go to OKC next week train the guys there.....and Lincoln, Nebraska the week after.
Chicago is definitely on the list, as well as DC and NYC. We've pretty much finishing up with the staff here locally.

badboyee2

Potential Star
Registered
Man I been in this game for 22 years I started with my A+ ( 850.00) in Atlanta Chatahooche tech. Got my MCSE CCNA etc Scrun Master . Now I never finished my degree, but I know my shit and I know how to hold a conversation and not sound ignorant ( feel me) I’ve Supervised folks with degrees etc again cause I know my shit. I got my clearance when I moved to DC area - but it lapsed. I’m in Charlotte now however my company is in Maryland and my entire infrastructure is in the cloud AWS, Azure and Oracle so I work from home 100 percent. You have to read a lot and stay on top of technology- yougins will test you!!! I made over 6 figures since 2002 again I don’t have a degree, I love telling young brothers to get into this game it’s so easy to make good money if you have a good memory.

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
Damn how did I miss this thread? A couple years back, I found myself in one of those situations you never want to be in....where I was out of options on the path I had been on since I was 18 and wondering what the way forward looked like. I got a gig as a caregiver that let me work as much overtime as I wanted and just grinded out and saved money, then quit and went back to school. Got an AAS in networking with a double major in security. I know degrees dont mean as much in this field, but I needed to get the solid foundation and the program I was in gave me that. I got a co-op internship with the State and went in with the sole intent to establish value. Long story short, when I graduated and the internship was over they hired me as an Info Security Analyst. I'm in a bachelors program now and taking all the free IT training the State offers, which is a LOT. About to take the CEH class and they give you a voucher to take the exam, then the Sec+ in May. Def gonna be watching this thread. And to all the older brothers who think its too late to get in, I was 36 when I went back to school so its never too late. The field is too wide open.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Coldchi is right. Help desk is a good starting point and necessary, But you want to at least move up to sysad.
and once you get there you should keep going. I stated at desktop support and now im an SDC Engineer. Funny thing is they all go hand in hand but just more money. Keep moving bruh. Don't stop at help desk.

SDC Engineer?