Altered Carbon Season 2 Discussion Thread (2018) (Scifi) Season 2 DROPS 2/27

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
While technically I understood the wife being in a man's body... bad optics. I didn't exactly like it.

There was a point to that that everyone is missing....

Dude's wife was a known Hacker/Dipper... who was sentenced because she was dipping into Meth's memory fragments and selling them on the black market.

Putting his wife in the body of a White dude was a fuck you more to Vernon's Wife then Vernon.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
It Sure Seems Like 'Altered Carbon' Is Losing Joel Kinnaman For Season 2

Paul Tassi , CONTRIBUTOR

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F02%2Faltered-carbon4.jpg%3Fwidth%3D960
Netflix

In a show about body-swapping, it seems possible that the cast would experience rather high turnover, and that’s looking increasingly like for Altered Carbon, which seems pretty much destined to lose its lead, Joel Kinnaman, for future seasons.

News broke yesterday that Kinnaman had jumped ship to Amazon, reuniting with his The Killing co-star Mireille Enos for a new show, Hanna, based on the 2011 Saoirse Ronan film of the same name, which had a little girl with uncanny combat abilities pursued by the CIA as she learns the truth about herself.

While it’s not impossible for Kinnaman to do both shows, this seems to confirm hints he was already dropping that he would not return for season 2 of Altered Carbon, if one even exists.

"I don't think so, no," Kinnaman recently said when asked about returning for season 2. "We have no idea what the second season would be, but my guess is that they would follow the two other books, and they are all on completely different planets, completely different worlds, and my guess is — and I don't know — my guess is that it's sort of going to be an anthology show where maybe a couple of the characters continue into the next season. But no one knows what's going on in the second season."

It is strange that there would be close to no chance of the lead of a big-budget, high-profile sci-fi series returning for another season, but that is the nature of the story, based on Richard K. Morgan’s books. At the end of Altered Carbon(spoilers ahead), Takeshi Kovacs (Kinnaman) says that he’s turning in his Ryker sleeve, meaning he’ll walk away in a new body that…is not Kinnaman’s. Now it’s possible that Kinnaman could theoretically return as Ryker, not Kovacs, keeping the rest of the cast together in some form, but that looks increasingly unlikely when you look at the books. The next book, Broken Angels, has Kovacs in a new sleeve and fighting on Mars.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F02%2Faltered-carbon2.jpg%3Fwidth%3D960
Netflix
Altered Carbon

Added on to all of this is the question of whether or not Netflix will renew Altered Carbon at all. Netflix is usually more prone to renew shows that other networks, as even something like Hemlock Grove managed to secure itself three seasons. But if you’ve seen Altered Carbon, you’ll know that this had to have been an insanely expensive production, with visual effects on par with blockbuster films like Blade Runner, so unless Altered Carbon was a smash hit to end all smash hits, they may end up leaving it as a one-off. It also wasn’t quite the prestige project they wanted, it would seem. Though many liked it (myself included), it didn’t review terribly well among critics, and I wouldn’t expect it to rack up awards in the coming year.

If Altered Carbon did continue on, it would indeed be like an anthology, sharing maybe a character or two, but the lead, Kovacs, would be played by an entirely different actor, which to some degree, would make him feel like a different character. I feel like this is a concept that works better in a book than onscreen, as I did find myself feeling some disconnection between Will Yun Lee’s Kovacs and Kinnaman’s Kovacs, as they seemed like somewhat disparate characters.

I hope Altered Carbon returns, but I would understand if Kinnaman didn’t for all the reasons mentioned above. Kinnaman seems poised to keep landing plum roles (mercifully, after starring in Suicide Squad), and I’ll be curious to check out Hanna as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...sing-joel-kinnaman-for-season-2/#5586ac703fb2

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Exactly, unless that 3D printer ONLY printed Kovacks which is possible, but even then, you paid for the Police Chick a new arm with Bankroft money, get ole boy a woman, they could have gone through the prison system to do it too.

You had to had to have host DNA to make a 3D copy.... and by the time they actually got a hold of the 3D printer they were kind of a deadline with the bigger plan with stopping the sister from killing everyone. The printer was in Police storage up to episode 9.

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
There was a point to that that everyone is missing....

Dude's wife was a known Hacker/Dipper... who was sentenced because she was dipping into Meth's memory fragments and selling them on the black market.

Putting his wife in the body of a White dude was a fuck you more to Vernon's Wife then Vernon.
Nigga can't even smash :roflmao2:

He could if he was like billy

Winslow Wong

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member
I fully understand that, however, what got me annoyed they had those "Synth human" bodies which the daughter jacked into. How come they didn't stick her into 1 of those. Overall I enjoyed the show. A better Hollywood telling of "Ghost in the shell" to me. I'm looking forward to the 2nd Season.

I think those synth bodies were very expensive - that why they were only up in the Sky City and not on the ground. The Marine's wife was disc was on ice because she was caught hacking. The Tak's sister got her out as a favor to him but she gave him a little "fuck you" by putting the wife in the male sleeve. At the end when the family was reunited, the wife had her sleeve back probably because Tak paid for it.

Winslow Wong

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member

Paul Tassi , CONTRIBUTOR

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F02%2Faltered-carbon4.jpg%3Fwidth%3D960
Netflix

In a show about body-swapping, it seems possible that the cast would experience rather high turnover, and that’s looking increasingly like for Altered Carbon, which seems pretty much destined to lose its lead, Joel Kinnaman, for future seasons.

News broke yesterday that Kinnaman had jumped ship to Amazon, reuniting with his The Killing co-star Mireille Enos for a new show, Hanna, based on the 2011 Saoirse Ronan film of the same name, which had a little girl with uncanny combat abilities pursued by the CIA as she learns the truth about herself.

While it’s not impossible for Kinnaman to do both shows, this seems to confirm hints he was already dropping that he would not return for season 2 of Altered Carbon, if one even exists.

"I don't think so, no," Kinnaman recently said when asked about returning for season 2. "We have no idea what the second season would be, but my guess is that they would follow the two other books, and they are all on completely different planets, completely different worlds, and my guess is — and I don't know — my guess is that it's sort of going to be an anthology show where maybe a couple of the characters continue into the next season. But no one knows what's going on in the second season."

It is strange that there would be close to no chance of the lead of a big-budget, high-profile sci-fi series returning for another season, but that is the nature of the story, based on Richard K. Morgan’s books. At the end of Altered Carbon(spoilers ahead), Takeshi Kovacs (Kinnaman) says that he’s turning in his Ryker sleeve, meaning he’ll walk away in a new body that…is not Kinnaman’s. Now it’s possible that Kinnaman could theoretically return as Ryker, not Kovacs, keeping the rest of the cast together in some form, but that looks increasingly unlikely when you look at the books. The next book, Broken Angels, has Kovacs in a new sleeve and fighting on Mars.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F02%2Faltered-carbon2.jpg%3Fwidth%3D960
Netflix
Altered Carbon

Added on to all of this is the question of whether or not Netflix will renew Altered Carbon at all. Netflix is usually more prone to renew shows that other networks, as even something like Hemlock Grove managed to secure itself three seasons. But if you’ve seen Altered Carbon, you’ll know that this had to have been an insanely expensive production, with visual effects on par with blockbuster films like Blade Runner, so unless Altered Carbon was a smash hit to end all smash hits, they may end up leaving it as a one-off. It also wasn’t quite the prestige project they wanted, it would seem. Though many liked it (myself included), it didn’t review terribly well among critics, and I wouldn’t expect it to rack up awards in the coming year.

If Altered Carbon did continue on, it would indeed be like an anthology, sharing maybe a character or two, but the lead, Kovacs, would be played by an entirely different actor, which to some degree, would make him feel like a different character. I feel like this is a concept that works better in a book than onscreen, as I did find myself feeling some disconnection between Will Yun Lee’s Kovacs and Kinnaman’s Kovacs, as they seemed like somewhat disparate characters.

I hope Altered Carbon returns, but I would understand if Kinnaman didn’t for all the reasons mentioned above. Kinnaman seems poised to keep landing plum roles (mercifully, after starring in Suicide Squad), and I’ll be curious to check out Hanna as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...sing-joel-kinnaman-for-season-2/#5586ac703fb2

I got from the end of the episode that he was giving the body back to the Latina Cop's boyfriend that why when we see Tak leave at the end of the show, you dont see his face. I never expected Kinnamen to come back next season.

Maybe it will be a brother.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I don't know why that would be impossible - from one of the earliest scenes on the show where the 7-year-old was put into the body of an old woman, your disc can be put into any functional sleeve. The Latina cop took the white supremacist and put in her grandmother's disc into the sleeve and she/he participated in the Day of the Dead celebration.

When the Marine's wife showed up as a guy, it was because the wife was a hacker and Tak's sister flunky just grabbed any sleeve. It wasn't meant to be gay but more the about how bodies were disposable. The very rich had more option's because they could clone themselves over and over but regular folks were lucky to get a functional sleeve.

I never thought it was gay because of the circumstances of the show.

Man peoples Gay agenda radar is way off... I never saw anything gay about it. In fact the show never played it off as anything thing else but uncomfortable ....

I'm tripping that people are focusing on Vernon and saying he is another example of an Angry Black man.... When he started off angry for a reason, but then came around and became a true partner in the end.

I also dont understand how people are completely ignoring the absolutely wonderful portrayal of Quell as this strong black leader whose legacy and presence lingers in that world 250 years later.

And how could a show with this much violence and nudity... be boring.

Man sometimes I wonder about this board...

Who in the world watches Blacklist? As for Gotham.... Its Ratings are at an all time low for Fox this Season. Hopefully it will get one more Season to wrap things up, but you never know with Fox. Now that Disney owns most of Fox's scripted series and Fox no longer has an in house studio and since it costs way to much to import nothing but other network properties.... My money is that Fox as we know it is going to end in 2019 or 2020.

Last edited:

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I got from the end of the episode that he was giving the body back to the Latina Cop's boyfriend that why when we see Tak leave at the end of the show, you dont see his face. I never expected Kinnamen to come back next season.

Maybe it will be a brother.

If they follow the books.. Next season he will be on Mars and involve more about the Aliens that we glimpses of in Season 1.

The Martians become the new Mystery... but with the way the Season ended, i don't see how they can stick with the book.

Winslow Wong

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member
Man peoples Gay agenda radar is way off... I never saw anything gay about it. In fact that showed never played it off as anything thing else but uncomfortable ....

I'm tripping that people are focusing Vernon as saying he is another example of an Angry Black man.... When he started off angry for a reason, but then came around and became a true partner in the end.

I also dont understand how people are completely ignoring the absolutely wonderful portrayal of Quell as this strong black leader whose legacy and presence lingers in that world 250 years later.

And how could a show with this much violence and nudity... be boring.

Man sometimes I wonder about this board...

Who in the world watches Blacklist? As for Gotham.... Its Ratings are at an all time low for Fox this Season. Hopefully it will get one more Season to wrap things up, but you never know with Fox. Now that Disney owns most of Fox's scripted series and Fox no longer has an in house studio and since it costs way to much to import nothing but other network properties.... My money is that Fox as we know it is going to end in 2019 or 2020.

As usual, I agree with you completely, I can't wait for Altered Carbon season 2.

Watched Blacklist for 2 season, the whole is Red her father thing got old. Never watched one second of Gotham, after 10 seasons of Smallville wasnt going to get wrapped up into young ____ again. I might watch it after the series finale wraps.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
As usual, I agree with you completely, I can't wait for Altered Carbon season 2.

Watched Blacklist for 2 season, the whole is Red her father thing got old. Never watched one second of Gotham, after 10 seasons of Smallville wasnt going to get wrapped up into young ____ again. I might watch it after the series finale wraps.

Yeah I had the same issues with Gotham... I just don't trust FOX. I refuse to get wrapped up in another FOX serial show. I'm just going to watch it when it wraps like I did with Person of Interest.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man I loved this damn show!! one of my podcast said as good as the series was the book was a little bit better. I can't see how but I downloaded the book. Can't wait to read it.

My only complaint, is that the issues with the sister seemed kind of rushed at the end I would have liked one more episode but I know it's better to rush and end it with 10 episodes ( leave the audience wanting more) then to really drag it out to make 12 episodes.

With that said I can't wait for season 2 this ish looks dope!
9/10

OnSlaught

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah Altered Carbon and Travelers are my shit.

Altered Carbon was 15 years in the making. Super expensive, expansive, ultra violent and graphic in its depiction of nudity and societal topics.

The way they brought the novel and note concepts to life is amazing. I don't think Joel Kinnaman will be back though, which sucks because I like him as a lead(his character in The killing was one of the reasons I rocked with that show).

The two other books take place on Mars and another distant planet and Tak doesn't have the same sleeve as he did in this season (Rieker) in those two tales. Makes for an interesting concept, almost like an anthology.

Either way, IF they have another season, I can't wait.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I was surprised by Kinnaman's performance because I really didn't like him in Robocop even though he was pretty good in Killing.

And yoooo the way Travelers ended... But that's another thread. Haha

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member

Paul Tassi , CONTRIBUTOR

Netflix

Netflix
Altered Carbon

honestly i didn't think he was going to make it through THIS season

Last edited:

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
honestly i didn't think he was going to make it thought THIS season

They way that they set it up.... Each Season can be a different person playing Kovacs and they can have completely different Stars. Hell they can have different Stars playing characters that we have already met. Each Season can be different with just certain themes connecting them...

This could be what I like to call in the Cloverfield thread... AN ANTHOLOGY

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Man, Ortega got a crazy side profile. Front and back not so much but them tiddies are right.

Anyway, I dig sci-fi and I dig twisty, murder mystery shit so I liked this. To be honest, I had to turn on the close captions cause I couldn't understand the dialog half the time. The lead guy just mumbled.

Oh, and I was praying, burning incense and everything that Dr. Saroyan would get nekkid. Man, I would have funded season two if that happened.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
the main characters acting kinda sucked tho ...

mainly these 2 ...

73-YnO.gif

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
the main characters acting kinda sucked tho ...

mainly these 2 ...

73-YnO.gif

I’m giving her acting a pass due to nakedness.

The great news is that they can have a different chick play her next season if they want. That’s whats cool about this show.