‘All the things a city can have.’ Here’s why some are calling Charlotte a ‘Black mecca’

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
@doe moe and @BlackGoku

Apple close their store at Northlake. My wife works IT for Apple, and she said customers living in Charlotte did not want nothing to do with Northlake.

Even now, I only go up there to go to the food court and thats it. I'm stopping that as well. There's a Firebirds Restaurant right beside the entrance to the Food Court and it doesn't look like business has slowed down for them, but I think it has slowed down for the mall overall. Dicks Sporting goods left and now Apple. I feel like as long as Belks, Macys, and Dillards are there, it will be ok, but because of the debt issues and the recent shootings, this may expedite the closure. Since the shootings, i have not noticed an increase police presence the way it was when they had a shooting up at Concord Mills. They probably going to let it die a slow death.

b_visionary

Seeing booty, imagining shit.
BGOL Patreon Investor
As a life long native of NC. I have to agree here.

ATL and Charlotte are both largely democratic, but ATL suburbs remain democratic. However, the second you step outside north, south, east, or west of Mecklenburg County, the environment changes fast and you’ll be in conservative land.

Because of this, a lot of NC’s policies affect the city’s potential growth. North Carolina is changing, but is still very rural and very conservative. Lots of backward as policies.
100% Man.

I've been living in NC for the past 12 years. Took me a while to realize how conservative this place is and how it affects everyday life.

Here is a example. I work for a company that isn't headquartered here and they have consultants all over the country. When I got covid I had read that there were benefits that you can get from your state govt. The feds funded a bunch of programs. Well, the employees who live in the North East and CA got extra paid leave and all kinds of stuff. The people in NC got NOTHING because the legislature didn't accept the funding.

Also, the state health plan is shit, one of the worst in the country. We had the state plan when we lived in MD and that shit covered EVERYTHING.. Here you get a bill every time you go to the Dr. And don't get really sick, you'll need a payment plan.

Also, North Carolina: Still the Worst Place to Work in America.

There is more to complain about.

Move here if you like the out doors and its still relatively easy to buy a house. But, other than that, don't come here if you live in a advanced metro area and can afford to live there.

Last edited:

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Cost of living is reasonable. At least it was when I moved here 15 years ago. However, all things considered, it's still reasonable compared to other medium size to large cities.

It's got a laid back country feel depending on where you kick it, other areas can feel more city like.

Love the abundance of tree's and wildlife.

In the city cracaka's are friendly, step outside the city in some of the surrounding small towns and find yourself in confederate territory. North Carolina is an open carry state, so tool up.

Mild winters, occasional snow and ice storms but overall winters are short compared to up north. Here is an example it's march 2nd and the trees have started releasing pollen. All the cars have that green haze because of it. Trees started budding two weeks ago. Even the robins and song birds have returned. Folks up north can't say that just yet cause it's still cold and some part snowy.

Charlotte sits practically in the middle of the east coast, 8 hours north is Philly, 8 hours south is Orlando FL. Drive 6 hours West and you're in Nashville TN. Drive 3 hours east and you're at the beach. Take your pick from North Carolina beaches or South Carolina beaches.

Lots of friendly cooperative Sisters, non black females have no problem choosing up on Brothers provided you got your shit together.

Plethora of spots to hang out, dine, socialize, party and chill.

I could go on and on about this city. It's far from perfect, but its pretty dope.

Your post should be in an advertisement. Made me want to make a move to the city. But I would never move to no damn North Carolina. But you had me closing my eyes and thinking about those trees and pollens with the robins singing.

The flowers in my yard are trying to hard to bloom. I can’t wait to see the bees feast.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
100% Man.

I've been living in NC for the past 12 years. Took me a while to realize how conservative this place is and how it affects everyday life.

Here as a example. I work for a company that isn't headquartered here and they have consultants all over the country. When I got covid I had read that there were benefits that you can get from your state govt. The feds funded a bunch of programs. Well, the employees when live in the North East and CA got extra paid leave and all kinds of stuff. The people in NC got NOTHING because the legislature didn't accept the funding.

Also, the state health plan is shit, one of the worst in the country. We had the state plan when we lived in MD and that shit covered EVERYTHING.. Here you get a bill every time you do to the Dr. And don't get really sick, you'll need a payment plan.

Move here if you like the out doors and its still relatively easy to buy a house. But, other than that, don't come here if you live in a advanced metro area and can afford to live there.

And it’s a “Right to Work” state so there are not many Unions. A person can get fired for no reason at all. NC is largely a manufacturing state, so once AI begin to increase, NC will be one of the hardest hit states, especially in the rural areas.

The economy here is volatile because wages are not increasing here as fast as the cost of living is rising. And many people are moving here, but jobs aren’t being created like that. Folks going to get a rude awakening here, especially considering Governor Cooper’s seat is up for election next year. And history says that NC will elect a republican governor which makes the NC house, senate, and state representatives mostly conservative.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Even now, I only go up there to go to the food court and thats it. I'm stopping that as well. There's a Firebirds Restaurant right beside the entrance to the Food Court and it doesn't look like business has slowed down for them, but I think it has slowed down for the mall overall. Dicks Sporting goods left and now Apple. I feel like as long as Belks, Macys, and Dillards are there, it will be ok, but because of the debt issues and the recent shootings, this may expedite the closure. Since the shootings, i have not noticed an increase police presence the way it was when they had a shooting up at Concord Mills. They probably going to let it die a slow death.

Yeah, had me thinking about when Eastland Mall was popping QC. :smh: same shit. Too hood and too much fuckery to the point it got closed down because they couldn’t keep businesses there.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
how do you deal with the racist whites?

Truthfully... In Charlotte... It aint none. Atleast none that are bold enough to make it be known. In fact the lack of Trump shit inside 485 compared to Concord, Gastonia and Rock hill was crazy. Like that 485 perimeter was a force field to overt racism. My next door neighbors are Jersey Italians... 6 plus years and no issues. Not even a sideways remark. White folks tend to be a bit more socially aware inside of cities in a way they aren't in smaller towns.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Truthfully... In Charlotte... It aint none. Atleast none that are bold enough to make it be known. In fact the lack of Trump shit inside 485 compared to Concord, Gastonia and Rock hill was crazy. Like that 485 perimeter was a force field to overt racism. My next door neighbors are Jersey Italians... 6 plus years and no issues. Not even a sideways remark. White folks tend to be a bit more socially aware inside of cities in a way they aren't in smaller towns.

485 is my Charlotte marker. :lol:

As soon as you cross them bridges, you’re either in or out of Charlotte. No between.

But you’re right. Charlotte isn’t racist like that at all. I’ve never had a racist experience there. I’m sure there are pockets where folks would prefer not to see me there, but for the most part it’s always good.

And the city isn’t diverse like that either. Is mostly white and white. What’s really trippy is the lack of Mexicans I see there :lol: them kats are everywhere else in Nc though

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yeah, had me thinking about when Eastland Mall was popping QC. :smh: same shit. Too hood and too much fuckery to the point it got closed down because they couldn’t keep businesses there.

There's still nothing over there...

Sad

Old Eastland Mall site being redeveloped as ‘Eastland Yards’
The 80 acres of property will feature everything from single to multi-family homes and affordable housing, signature recreational areas and more.

The leaders behind this-- as well as the people living here--hope Eastland Yards will be a catalyst for revitalizing the east side of Charlotte.
By Sharonne Hayes, WBTV Web Staff and Caroline Hicks
Published: Aug. 3, 2022 at 5:14 AM EDT|Updated: Aug. 3, 2022 at 1:32 PM EDT
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - Charlotte city leaders, developers and the east side community officially broke ground Wednesday morning on the site of the old Eastland Mall.

It comes after years of back and forth and just a few weeks after Tepper Sports pulled out of plans to build Charlotte FC headquarters and a soccer academy.

Related: City exploring opportunities after Tepper Sports exits redevelopment plans for Eastland project

The 80 acres of property will now be known as Eastland Yards, featuring everything from single to multi-family homes and affordable housing, signature recreational areas and more.

Initially, crews will be working on regrading and removing asphalt. They’ll also be working on the underground infrastructure and upgraded utilities.

That work is expected to take the next 18 months or so, depending on supply chain issues developers say they have been plagued with as well. Crews will also be doing intersection improvements.

After that, buildings are expected to be erected starting in the second quarter of 2023. Parks will also be installed during the second quarter of next year.

Early phases of the grand opening are expected to happen around 2024.

According to the city, development will occur in three phases.

Phase one will include 155 homes including townhomes and single family homes, 70 to 120 affordable units for seniors and 280 multifamily units.

It will also include 17,500 square feet of commercial space and green space.

Future phases will include an additional 145,000 square feet of office and retail space.

Developer Tim Sittema, with Crosland Southeast, told WBTV he is in talks with grocers, restaurants and other possible tenants. He says a medical clinic by Atrium Health was on the table when Tepper Sports was involved, but he hopes to still make a medical clinic happen.

“Certainly enthusiasm and excitement are there but relief is certainly part of it,” Sittema said. “We’ve been working hard for four years, we’ve had a lot of steps, missteps. COVID didn’t help anything and there were plenty of times along the way where we questioned whether we’d be successful getting to this point. But we’re happy to be here today, and it was really heartwarming to see so many members of the community.”

Sittema also says there are also some things to iron out financially.

“The county’s contribution we’re still trying to figure out, because their tax increment grant approval was predicated on some specific things related to the Tepper proposal,” he said.

Sittema also says they are awaiting approval for state tax credits to advance the affordable housing for seniors.

A lot of people had visions of how they wanted the 80 acres of property to play out but there’s been a bit of back and forth over the years.
Bobbi Almond, the 74-year-old president of the nearby Wilora Lake Neighborhood Association who’s lived in that community for decades, said she didn’t think she’d live to see this groundbreaking finally happen.

Almond is currently in South Carolina but planned to travel back to the area just to see the moment happen.

“We need something that’s going to be a driver for jobs and we also need something that’s going to bring people in from other counties,” Almond said. “You know, that’s what we had there, but we need something that other people will come to our side of town and spend money.”

The former Eastland Mall site - owned by the city of Charlotte - has been under development since it closed a little over a decade ago. At one point, a movie production studio was planned for the site, but that fell through.

Once plans started to come together for this new development, a local flea market attracting about 200 vendors was forced to shut down after the city terminated its contract.

Related: Disagreements continue between Central Flea Market vendors, Charlotte city leaders

A popular skatepark was also displaced.

Initially, crews will be working on regrading and removing asphalt.
Developers said they know some wanted to see a soccer field out in the location, but stressed they heard the wishes of residents.

“We have at least three very viable options that are sports, recreation-related, for that portion of the site,” Sittema said. “Too early to give more details on that. Hopefully, we can make announcements soon enough on one or another of those, but the demand is there. We’re excited about it and we have more work to do.”

The full buildout is expected to take five years, possibly longer. Developers, however, say people will start seeing that progress.

Copyright 2022 WBTV. All rights reserved.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I noticed in the suburbs adjacent to the QC ( Fort mills and Huntersviille), no one is from NC.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@doe moe and @BlackGoku

Apple close their store at Northlake. My wife works IT for Apple, and she said customers living in Charlotte did not want nothing to do with Northlake.

Real shit... I haven't been there in like 5 years and even that was a last minute Christmas gift from Pandora. Walk in like I'm power walking, got what I needed and bounced. I also don't like the mall atmosphere at 39. But every other week you hear about them shooting out there. Like whyyyyyyyyyy???... Been here since the mid 90s and it's not hood!!! Even the hood spots aren't "hood." Just some rougher areas. These new ninjas out here trying to look tough and doing needless shit. Buncha Ja Morant ass dudes.

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’m a big bias because I work in healthcare and the CEO of Atrium is a brother, but this is going to be a game changer for the city.

5 billion dollar impact on the city

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Real shit... I haven't been there in like 5 years and even that was a last minute Christmas gift from Pandora. Walk in like I'm power walking, got what I needed and bounced. I also don't like the mall atmosphere at 39. But every other week you here about them shooting out there. Like whyyyyyyyyyy???... Been here since the mid 90s and it's not hood!!! Even the hood spots aren't "hood." Just some rougher areas. These new ninjas out here trying to look tough and doing needless shit. Buncha Ja Morant ass dudes.
Haven’t been to Northlake in years, but did go to South something Mall last week. I was very impressed. Reminds me of Tyson Corner in Norhern VA.
Me and wifey drove around that area (south Charlotte I think) and that whole area is fucking nice. I love Ballentyne too. A lot of changes coming to that area as well.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
485 is my Charlotte marker. :lol:

As soon as you cross them bridges, you’re either in or out of Charlotte. No between.

But you’re right. Charlotte isn’t racist like that at all. I’ve never had a racist experience there. I’m sure there are pockets where folks would prefer not to see me there, but for the most part it’s always good.

And the city isn’t diverse like that either. Is mostly white and white. What’s really trippy is the lack of Mexicans I see there :lol: them kats are everywhere else in Nc though

You got 1 decent sized pocket of the amigos on and around South Blvd. From sayyyyy. Woodlawn down to the 485 exit. They got that little spot right there and out toward Monroe. But you're right. It's white, and black folks.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Haven’t been to Northlake in years, but did go to South something Mall last week. I was very impressed. Reminds me of Tyson Corner in Norhern VA.
Me and wifey drove around that area (south Charlotte I think) and that whole area is fucking nice. I love Ballentyne too. A lot of changes coming to that area as well.

Yeah, Ballantyne is nice. It's some old money in Myers Park, Dilworth and by Southpark Mall that has kept that mall insulated from hood shit. Older rich white folks will shut the entire shit down with their connections and pull before they let too much of a certain element in.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

My sister-in-law stay in the area by East Meck High. Very nice area over there, but seriously fuck Independence Expressway. I do what I can to avoid that madness. NC got too many spots where they treat commercial roads like highways.

bham_brotha

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It'll be just like every other southern city that folks flock to. It'll become over crowded, super expensive and violent. That's the way it goers.

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Always have to check to see what the LGBQT population is like in these "meccas"

For some reason I'm noticing a pattern where in places described as that, they have an overwhelming presence

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
My sister-in-law stay in the area by East Meck High. Very nice area over there, but seriously fuck Independence Expressway. I do what I can to avoid that madness. NC got too many spots where they treat commercial roads like highways.

I'm going to shoot Charlotte some bail here..Independence aint that bad until you get down by the CVS then it slows to a crawl, and it probably needs to be widened, it just a stretch of highway that goes about 5 miles but you can be sitting there sometimes for 45 mins. It's gotten a little bit better since ive been here

In Comparison, i feel the same way about Wendover Ave in greensboro, like down by car dealerships, it seems like it should be moving better, im not sure how to explain it

Another example would be comparison between Battleground Ave and Freedom Drive..like there are certain part of freedom that are jacked up, but the closer you get to the nicer areas (up there by morehead) it's not bad..Battleground Ave in Greensboro, like i'm not sure why this road seemed to have so many potholes but when you get out there like you headed to the airport, it's not as bad :smh:

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
100% Man.

Here as a example. I work for a company that isn't headquartered here and they have consultants all over the country. When I got covid I had read that there were benefits that you can get from your state govt. The feds funded a bunch of programs. Well, the employees when live in the North East and CA got extra paid leave and all kinds of stuff. The people in NC got NOTHING because the legislature didn't accept the funding.

Also, the state health plan is shit, one of the worst in the country. We had the state plan when we lived in MD and that shit covered EVERYTHING.. Here you get a bill every time you do to the Dr. And don't get really sick, you'll need a payment plan.

COVID really brought home how important the state can be in regards to day to day living...Democratic enclaves were reminded in the worst way that they were in a Republican controlled territory

Have heard really good things about Charlotte...seems like a mini Atlanta...Raleigh area coming up fast too even though its smaller...lots of folks from DC area moving down there....have heard Charlotte looks toward the South while Raleigh looks towards the North as the main difference between the two

Seems like its still a good time to make a move there before the overpopulation and oversaturation issues kick in (even though the country itself is heading in the wrong direction)

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It will be interesting to see what impact this will have on the area as well considering Columbia is only like 70 miles away from Charlotte..

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
100% Man.

We had the state plan when we lived in MD and that shit covered EVERYTHING.. Here you get a bill every time you do to the Dr. And don't get really sick, you'll need a payment plan.

I think this is the big factor that keeps me from moving. Sure I can get a bigger house and more land but at what cost? It's the state govt that I worry about moreso than the city. Maryland has just what I need for now. Some changes should be made and Baltimore will always be a mess but overall I'm content here. I have fam in NC and if I wanted to start a family that would probably be the move (probably Raleigh since I'm tech).

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
That's the old money side of Charlotte.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Been in Charlotte 13 years now. My only complaint is it's damn near impossible to find decent food after 10pm.
What part of the QC do you live?

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Haven't been there since 2012, but I definitely enjoyed myself.

People I know personally that moved there, all have nothing but good things to say about it.
I know a few people that live there, and they're not feeling this growth thing. One of them told me that Charlotte is getting too much like the A, and she's not feeling it. I told her that growth is inevitable.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It'll be just like every other southern city that folks flock to. It'll become over crowded, super expensive and violent. That's the way it goers.

Charlotte is a Black Mecca. What’s “Black” and what is a “Mecca”? How do you see what they did to Jackson. Mississippi and fix your internet to post about charlotte, n.C? How do you fix your mind to tell post about a Black Mecca in the damn United States?

I feel as if I’m reading an updated Green Book. It’s the craziest thing I’ve seen this week. Is Raleigh Medina? Who are the Yemenis? Who are the Iranians?

KrafMatik

Rising Star
Registered
What part of the QC do you live?

I'm in the northwest side always up Brookshire. Mountain Island coulwood area.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some of the best pussy I ever had was chick from Charlotte

Facts. First and best porn star sex experience.

She also gave me a lot of life lessons in how women can use you up and when it's over in her mind it's over. Never just on to the next man...next man was already lined up!

That could have been cause she was originally from Detroit though.

MackInTraining

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I've been in Charlotte over 10 years. When I first moved here, my family would go to Northlake to do our White Elephant Shopping. Then in 2012ish the first shooting happened (funny thing was it was a former student of mine) while we there. We switched to Concord Mills. A couple years in the shooting happened at Concorn Mills. Now a year or two ago, we had the Shooting at South Park Mall.

My fiance and I would go to Northlake from time to time to get some steps in and walk around. Northlake and Concord stay having issues now even with not letting people under a certain age without adults. Dicks left and now Apple leaving.

I love Charlotte. It reminds me of when I lived in the DMV in the early 2000 without the ridiculous house prices. Everywhere there is dirt, they are building apartments and homes. My neighborhood was mixed but when house prices went out, people left, investors bought the houses and now it's primarily renters.

I think Chris Rock summed it up best

Last edited:

rph2005

Rising Star
OG Investor
Stay away from Northlake Mall..

My son and I were at Belks when the second shooting happened. I told him, until things calm down, we only going to the movie theater.

Here

Apple Store At Northlake Mall Permanently Closing
13 hours ago
WCCB Staff
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – After the third shooting in as many months at Northlake Mall, one shop is closing its doors.
The Apple store at Northlake Mall says it’s closing permanently in preparation to open a new store in the area next year.
A statement from an Apple representative says in part, “In preparation for a new store we plan to open in the Charlotte area early next year, we will be closing Apple Northlake on March 2. All of our team members will continue to support our Charlotte customers at Apple SouthPark and the Apple Store Online.”
There’s no word exactly where or when the new store will open.
Nobody was injured in the shooting at the mall on Tuesday.
wait. so the bullshit has begun already. smh

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That is a lot to read. I have not read it yet. But we will never be free as long as our mouth is in the white man's kitchen. Unless we are we are rebuilding the true garden of eden then all we can get is a piece of the devil's pie.