I'm a Brother struggling: I saw a post saying money can't bring happiness (an update post)

Andros the magician

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For those who remember me, I was out of work, wrote a first-time self-help book(some of you bought it, thank you), and posted a few other things here on this forum. I'm not sure why I'm posting this, maybe as a rant, so perhaps someone can see my thoughts.

A younger friend of mine posted on social media that money can't buy happiness. Is he right?

When I was younger, I always felt that was a lie. As I've seen so many people change their lives for the better with money. Well, as I've lived it, I now agree with that statement. Before I go any further, I'd like to stress that this is from the perspective of a black man diagnosed with severe depression and moderate anxiety.

I'm not happy.

My mental health issues won't let me be happy. I want to think I should be. I've been able to bounce back pretty hard in a positive direction on my career path over the years. Currently, I sit at the top of my career as a CIO. That means I lead a large technology department for a company. A position that I thought I'd never get, and for once, the only way I can move up is financially to another challenge. I make good money; clearly, I can always make better, but I do pretty well and have no financial concerns. My woman is a social worker, but doesn't have to work. We live in a 500k house, which I feel proud of, and I constantly remind myself that I live here. Even after being here for 3 years. We both have luxury cars. I'm always getting questions and compliments when I'm out and about. All my bills are on autopay, with some paid way in advance. It's a good feeling to remember when I was younger, stressing about paying the electric or phone bill. I can order out, DoorDash, or eat at a nice restaurant for lunch or dinner on a whim. No planning needed. I've been able to fund my mom's living arrangement and give my daughter a couple of thousand dollars as needed. She is married and doing her own bit of trying to find herself. Thanks to this forum, I am a rated veteran and get a nice monthly pension. Overall, I feel like I should be celebrating my place in life as I've accomplished a lot. Sometimes I find myself comparing myself to others who always tried to one-up me or made me feel inferior, while they are all in a lower situation than I am now.

Behind all that, I'm just not happy. I've considered suicide twice in my life. I don't have the courage to do it now, and I realize the wave effect would have a significant impact on those close to me, so I can't see myself doing it. Almost everything that brings me joy is gone—gaming, watching fight sports, hanging out, movies in my theatre room, etc. None of them pulls me in anymore. I find myself in a constant struggle, trying to survive the day or the weekend. My desire for sex has dropped almost to zero. It's weird, I still admire a good-looking woman, but physically, I don't have the motivation anymore. Speaking of motivation, I don't have the desire to work out despite having a home gym and a nice neighborhood to go walking around. My motivation is tied to this invisible feeling that I call the "dread" feeling, constantly tugging at me to do the opposite when I want to do something that might help me. I work in a good place. Sadly, I have to deal with one co-worker who always tries to cause me grief, but that's about it. I find myself acting most of the time to be happy, motivated, and in good spirits. It's a moment-by-moment struggle to motivate myself to do the following task, start the next project, or move forward. I'm burned out of dealing with racism. Every day racism, online racism, racism at work, just hate everyone. It's hard to look at the news out of earshot of seeing our people doing something stupid or some coon talking bad about his own people.

I dream of retiring or getting into a situation where I could retire right now with zero impact on my home life and become a super resluse.

But then I think, why? Again, I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe to put my thoughts into words and shoot them out to the void. So at least I know that perhaps someone read them. I often wonder, if I came into a lot of money and could stop working, would that really matter to me? I'd imagine it would to those around me, but to me, secretly. No, I'd still struggle. This internal conflict would still be present. I'd still be unhappy.

Before I end this, again, I'm not expecting anything from this post. Just sharing my thoughts. I was seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist, but once I lost my job late last year, I could only continue that for about 3 months afterwards. Then I had to fire my psychiatrist when I tried to reschedule an appointment, a week in advance. Due to a job interview, but she still wants me to pay the $250 fee per visit, I wasn't going to pay her for that missed appointment that didn't occur. I had to beg my primary doctor to refill my mental health prescriptions once I stopped going to her, since she refused. Lucky, I just found out last week that I can get my prescriptions refilled through the VA and resume counseling through a civilian doctor via them. So there's that.

Thank you for reading this. If there is anything to gain, giving up is not something I've allowed myself to do. It has allowed me to be successful, if that's what I am, and I hope that anyone going through something similar will not give up and keep moving forward with my hopes that one day you'll wake up and remember what it was like to struggle with mental health challenges.

I still think of suicide. Daily, multiple times a day, but I won't do it. If you feel the same as I, I hope you don't either. Money can't buy happiness, but I'd like to think that it should make things easier, but in my case, it doesn't.

If you read all of this, thank you.
 
Seek if you can find free help for now, like support groups. Even your local churches may have some information so that you can get some support from people who understand and/or going thru similar things.
Stay as strong as you can, find a support group and never give up.
 
Money can bring happiness, lots of happiness and lots of joy.

Health also brings happiness and lots of joy, and we really don't think about it. Until health goes bad, whether physically, mentally or emotionally.

So no, money isn't the end all be all but it can definitely bring happiness.

But if one has other issues in their life not money related and can't be fixed by money, then those issues will exist until they can hopefully be addressed.

If they're able to be addressed.
 
A rich man is one with knowledge, happiness, and his health.




Yo the education of the Lon chicka Lonnie Lynn
Began, began with time
Being my bloodline is one with the divine
In time brother, you will discover the light
Some say that God is Black and the Devil's White
Well, the Devil is wrong and God is what's right
I fight, with myself in the ring of doubt and fear
The rain ain't gone, but I can still see clear
As a child, given religion with no answer to why
Just told believe in Jesus 'cause for me he did die
Curiosity killed the catechism
Understanding and wisdom became the rhythm that I played to
And became a slave to master self
A rich man is one with knowledge, happiness and his health
My mind had dealt with the books of Zen, Tao the lessons
Koran and the Bible, to me they all vital
And got truth within 'em, gotta read them boys
You just can't skim 'em, different branches of belief
But one root that stem 'em, but people of the venom try to trim 'em
And use religion as an emblem
When it should be a natural way of life
Who am I or they to say to whom you pray ain't right
That's who got you doing right and got you this far
Whether you say "in Jesus name" or Hum do Allah
Long as you know it's a bein' that's supreme to you
 
Yo the education of the Lon chicka Lonnie Lynn
Began, began with time
Being my bloodline is one with the divine
In time brother, you will discover the light
Some say that God is Black and the Devil's White
Well, the Devil is wrong and God is what's right
I fight, with myself in the ring of doubt and fear
The rain ain't gone, but I can still see clear
As a child, given religion with no answer to why
Just told believe in Jesus 'cause for me he did die
Curiosity killed the catechism
Understanding and wisdom became the rhythm that I played to
And became a slave to master self
A rich man is one with knowledge, happiness and his health
My mind had dealt with the books of Zen, Tao the lessons
Koran and the Bible, to me they all vital
And got truth within 'em, gotta read them boys
You just can't skim 'em, different branches of belief
But one root that stem 'em, but people of the venom try to trim 'em
And use religion as an emblem
When it should be a natural way of life
Who am I or they to say to whom you pray ain't right
That's who got you doing right and got you this far
Whether you say "in Jesus name" or Hum do Allah
Long as you know it's a bein' that's supreme to you
One Day It'll All Make Sense..............................classic album
 
your first paragragh you say you got a great position leading and making pretty good money....further down you lost your job last year? these different jobs? with different benefits? if you making good money bro get back good with your doctors and shrinks. that's a benefit you put in work for and earned , don't take that for granted. a lot of people in this country and world would love that luxury. do you donate? find some good causes to donate to. go help at a soup kitchen or visit a hospital ....you know some good deeds. the world and this ountry can be a lot...gloomy..stressfull. find tv shows and people that can give you a good laugh. too much good in this world ....hope you can find some of it.
 
Agreed. Played the hell out of that album for months on the Discman while taking the bus to college. Stayed in rotation with a few other CDs.
yeah that track from which that quote derives is probably my favorite from that album.
I can tell Common read "The Wisdom of Life" by Arthur Schopenhauer. Amazing essay........if you want to find and discover what real happiness is.
 
yeah that track from which that quote derives is probably my favorite from that album.
I can tell Common read "The Wisdom of Life" by Arthur Schopenhauer. Amazing essay........if you want to find and discover what real happiness is.



Thanks for the intel on the essay.


Yes - personal fave track from that album as well. A few other ones I really dug too ...









 
For those who remember me, I was out of work, wrote a first-time self-help book(some of you bought it, thank you), and posted a few other things here on this forum. I'm not sure why I'm posting this, maybe as a rant, so perhaps someone can see my thoughts.

A younger friend of mine posted on social media that money can't buy happiness. Is he right?

When I was younger, I always felt that was a lie. As I've seen so many people change their lives for the better with money. Well, as I've lived it, I now agree with that statement. Before I go any further, I'd like to stress that this is from the perspective of a black man diagnosed with severe depression and moderate anxiety.

I'm not happy.

My mental health issues won't let me be happy. I want to think I should be. I've been able to bounce back pretty hard in a positive direction on my career path over the years. Currently, I sit at the top of my career as a CIO. That means I lead a large technology department for a company. A position that I thought I'd never get, and for once, the only way I can move up is financially to another challenge. I make good money; clearly, I can always make better, but I do pretty well and have no financial concerns. My woman is a social worker, but doesn't have to work. We live in a 500k house, which I feel proud of, and I constantly remind myself that I live here. Even after being here for 3 years. We both have luxury cars. I'm always getting questions and compliments when I'm out and about. All my bills are on autopay, with some paid way in advance. It's a good feeling to remember when I was younger, stressing about paying the electric or phone bill. I can order out, DoorDash, or eat at a nice restaurant for lunch or dinner on a whim. No planning needed. I've been able to fund my mom's living arrangement and give my daughter a couple of thousand dollars as needed. She is married and doing her own bit of trying to find herself. Thanks to this forum, I am a rated veteran and get a nice monthly pension. Overall, I feel like I should be celebrating my place in life as I've accomplished a lot. Sometimes I find myself comparing myself to others who always tried to one-up me or made me feel inferior, while they are all in a lower situation than I am now.

Behind all that, I'm just not happy. I've considered suicide twice in my life. I don't have the courage to do it now, and I realize the wave effect would have a significant impact on those close to me, so I can't see myself doing it. Almost everything that brings me joy is gone—gaming, watching fight sports, hanging out, movies in my theatre room, etc. None of them pulls me in anymore. I find myself in a constant struggle, trying to survive the day or the weekend. My desire for sex has dropped almost to zero. It's weird, I still admire a good-looking woman, but physically, I don't have the motivation anymore. Speaking of motivation, I don't have the desire to work out despite having a home gym and a nice neighborhood to go walking around. My motivation is tied to this invisible feeling that I call the "dread" feeling, constantly tugging at me to do the opposite when I want to do something that might help me. I work in a good place. Sadly, I have to deal with one co-worker who always tries to cause me grief, but that's about it. I find myself acting most of the time to be happy, motivated, and in good spirits. It's a moment-by-moment struggle to motivate myself to do the following task, start the next project, or move forward. I'm burned out of dealing with racism. Every day racism, online racism, racism at work, just hate everyone. It's hard to look at the news out of earshot of seeing our people doing something stupid or some coon talking bad about his own people.

I dream of retiring or getting into a situation where I could retire right now with zero impact on my home life and become a super resluse.

But then I think, why? Again, I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe to put my thoughts into words and shoot them out to the void. So at least I know that perhaps someone read them. I often wonder, if I came into a lot of money and could stop working, would that really matter to me? I'd imagine it would to those around me, but to me, secretly. No, I'd still struggle. This internal conflict would still be present. I'd still be unhappy.

Before I end this, again, I'm not expecting anything from this post. Just sharing my thoughts. I was seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist, but once I lost my job late last year, I could only continue that for about 3 months afterwards. Then I had to fire my psychiatrist when I tried to reschedule an appointment, a week in advance. Due to a job interview, but she still wants me to pay the $250 fee per visit, I wasn't going to pay her for that missed appointment that didn't occur. I had to beg my primary doctor to refill my mental health prescriptions once I stopped going to her, since she refused. Lucky, I just found out last week that I can get my prescriptions refilled through the VA and resume counseling through a civilian doctor via them. So there's that.

Thank you for reading this. If there is anything to gain, giving up is not something I've allowed myself to do. It has allowed me to be successful, if that's what I am, and I hope that anyone going through something similar will not give up and keep moving forward with my hopes that one day you'll wake up and remember what it was like to struggle with mental health challenges.

I still think of suicide. Daily, multiple times a day, but I won't do it. If you feel the same as I, I hope you don't either. Money can't buy happiness, but I'd like to think that it should make things easier, but in my case, it doesn't.

If you read all of this, thank you.

I sincerely appreciate you posting this bro.

I can relate in many ways. I've been through hell and back myself and certainly have my struggles from time to time.

Not gonna lie.. weed has helped me tremendously to quiet that "noise" that's hard to turn off. The noise that fuels the anxiety, depression, fear, sadness etc... Unsure if you've tried it yet, but give it a go.

I just refuse to fail at the end of the day. My kids motivate me as well. We have a lot to live and be thankful for. That's what we should focus on.
 
A lot of people are struggling with their mental health in this post-Covid era, and many are afraid to reach out. It’s brave of you to post this on a public message board, but I would definitely be careful about sharing too much personal information. You never know who’s watching or what could come back to bite you.

You might want to find a more secure and private outlet to express your emotions—this board is open to Google search, and not everything belongs in such a public space.
 
I sincerely appreciate you posting this bro.

I can relate in many ways. I've been through hell and back myself and certainly have my struggles from time to time.

Not gonna lie.. weed has helped me tremendously to quiet that "noise" that's hard to turn off. The noise that fuels the anxiety, depression, fear, sadness etc... Unsure if you've tried it yet, but give it a go.

I just refuse to fail at the end of the day. My kids motivate me as well. We have a lot to live and be thankful for. That's what we should focus on.
So many brothas out here that suffer in silence...i remember Dr. K (from HealthyGamingGG on Youtube) once said that you feel alone with a full house. I would hate that feeling but it's gotta be a better feeling than feeling alone in an empty house. I've had both. :dunno:
 
You ever thought about giving back to the homeless? Being a secret Santa to some unfortunate kids, doing random acts of kindness to the needy... Maybe you can get enjoyment bringing joy to others... Maybe once a week or a few times a month go out and give out a bunch of food to homeless people or go to some parks and give out toys to black kids... Maybe their smiles and energy is what you need to fill that void of happiness you seek
 
You ever thought about giving back to the homeless? Being a secret Santa to some unfortunate kids, doing random acts of kindness to the needy... Maybe you can get enjoyment bringing joy to others... Maybe once a week or a few times a month go out and give out a bunch of food to homeless people or go to some parks and give out toys to black kids... Maybe their smiles and energy is what you need to fill that void of happiness you seek



Agreed. My mom found alot of purpose volunteering with Big Sisters. As well as volunteer work with a thrift store that supported women & children.


I've volunteered and donated to the Union Gospel Mission. I like the work they do.
 
I feel you struggle, it’s a real and challenging one.
If nothing else, you posting this reminded me of some of the things i take for granted on a daily in my own life.
Money….. it brings comfort,lessens(not illiminate) worry.
If you have enough money you can continuously put yourself in enough situations to set your dopamine levels off.
 
I'm right there witcha. My new bosses are some micromanagers. I'm used to never hearing from my boss. This shit make me not wanna go to work. No matter how high I climb the ladder, I'm going to have some douchebag boss. I needed some junk picked up, so I made a call to some guys. They were much cheaper than having the city come get it. Buddy pulls up in a Penske truck FULL of random stuff. I may not be cut out for that kind of work, but I gotta find a way to get tf out this rat race.
 
A lot of people are struggling with their mental health in this post-Covid era, and many are afraid to reach out. It’s brave of you to post this on a public message board, but I would definitely be careful about sharing too much personal information. You never know who’s watching or what could come back to bite you.

You might want to find a more secure and private outlet to express your emotions—this board is open to Google search, and not everything belongs in such a public space.
I had not considered this or felt anything I said could be damaging to me. Plus, nothing on here is linked to who I am in real life. But I will consider your words going forward. Thank you for all that you said.

You ever thought about giving back to the homeless? Being a secret Santa to some unfortunate kids, doing random acts of kindness to the needy... Maybe you can get enjoyment bringing joy to others... Maybe once a week or a few times a month go out and give out a bunch of food to homeless people or go to some parks and give out toys to black kids... Maybe their smiles and energy is what you need to fill that void of happiness you seek
I actually do give to the homeless, a form of secret Santa, and donate. I slacked off a bit due to events, but I can see what you are saying and will give it a try.
 
First, I respect your transparency. Even though most of us are strangers, we still carry a persona that we are best in class here. When someone can show vulnerability, it's commendable.

It may not be much of a difference but for me money can bring you joy; not necessarily happiness. When I think of joy, it's like moments in time. Happiness may not be an everyday mood but it's more longterm.

When I first started to get real money, it was cool to not have to look at my account to make purchase or send money between accounts to cover an expense. Buying items were cool but I quickly got over it. At one point, I kind of got paranoid about people knowing or thinking i had money. Doing things for myself doesn't really do anything but doing things for others mean more. I mean people who may really need assistance and im very selective about who and when I help. Like others have said, maybe you can find happiness in helping others. Not just money but time. Maybe get a pet.

You mentioned seeking help in the past. Have you always fought this or is it relatively a new thing as an adult? Maybe it's less mental and more physical. Like a chemical imbalance. A thyroid issue.You said you stopped working out and you aren't as interested in sex. Along with a loss of interest in other things that brought you joy/pleasure. I assume you've already looked into to this potential but I still thought id mention it. As a Black person it's important that you seek out different opinions. They may try to write off your issues as a normal decline for aging men.so, they never look at your results that deeply. It becomes easier just to give you pills instead of finding the root cause.

I think we all can relate to losing interest in things we loved. If you have not already, maybe try to do new things that challenge you in different ways.

What i wouldn't do is spend a lot of time alone even if you were well off. For me, Im usually in my head alot if im not interacting with people on some level. Even if it's just communicating with people online is better than being alone in your own thoughts while depressed in my opinion.

You hit on this and it may be hard to do. Stay away from race related topics on the net. Ive also found myself becoming increasingly angry about things we are seeing. I fing myself questioning the White people around me that I believe to be overall good people. If a Black person says the wrong thing, i look at them differently. We are being programmed to hate and distrust each other. Bottomline all of the negative energy isn't good for our mental health. Try to stay informed, but try not to make your algorithm focus on race related content. In fact, maybe stay off of social media altogether especially when you are feeling more depressed.

Goes without saying. Continue to seek professional help and maybe use the board as more of a support group. In fact, try to find a support group irl too.
 
First, I respect your transparency. Even though most of us are strangers, we still carry a persona that we are best in class here. When someone can show vulnerability, it's commendable.

It may not be much of a difference but for me money can bring you joy; not necessarily happiness. When I think of joy, it's like moments in time. Happiness may not be an everyday mood but it's more longterm.

When I first started to get real money, it was cool to not have to look at my account to make purchase or send money between accounts to cover an expense. Buying items were cool but I quickly got over it. At one point, I kind of got paranoid about people knowing or thinking i had money. Doing things for myself doesn't really do anything but doing things for others mean more. I mean people who may really need assistance and im very selective about who and when I help. Like others have said, maybe you can find happiness in helping others. Not just money but time. Maybe get a pet.

You mentioned seeking help in the past. Have you always fought this or is it relatively a new thing as an adult? Maybe it's less mental and more physical. Like a chemical imbalance. A thyroid issue.You said you stopped working out and you aren't as interested in sex. Along with a loss of interest in other things that brought you joy/pleasure. I assume you've already looked into to this potential but I still thought id mention it. As a Black person it's important that you seek out different opinions. They may try to write off your issues as a normal decline for aging men.so, they never look at your results that deeply. It becomes easier just to give you pills instead of finding the root cause.

I think we all can relate to losing interest in things we loved. If you have not already, maybe try to do new things that challenge you in different ways.

What i wouldn't do is spend a lot of time alone even if you were well off. For me, Im usually in my head alot if im not interacting with people on some level. Even if it's just communicating with people online is better than being alone in your own thoughts while depressed in my opinion.

You hit on this and it may be hard to do. Stay away from race related topics on the net. Ive also found myself becoming increasingly angry about things we are seeing. I fing myself questioning the White people around me that I believe to be overall good people. If a Black person says the wrong thing, i look at them differently. We are being programmed to hate and distrust each other. Bottomline all of the negative energy isn't good for our mental health. Try to stay informed, but try not to make your algorithm focus on race related content. In fact, maybe stay off of social media altogether especially when you are feeling more depressed.

Goes without saying. Continue to seek professional help and maybe use the board as more of a support group. In fact, try to find a support group irl too.
Thank you for this reply. I appreciate it.
 
I had not considered this or felt anything I said could be damaging to me. Plus, nothing on here is linked to who I am in real life. But I will consider your words going forward. Thank you for all that you said.

The only reason I mentioned it is because I’ve seen too many people lose their jobs after sharing their opinions on platforms like Instagram and X. For example, there was a woman at a Brewers baseball game who got fed up with a fan who was antagonizing her. He ended up catching her on video saying, “Call ICE,” and the clip went viral. The next thing you know, she lost her job.

And look at what’s happening in government—Trump recently revoked the visas of five individuals simply because of their opinions on the Charlie Kirk incident. Who knows what agencies might be monitoring this message board? As someone who also sits at the C-suite level as a Chief Information Officer, I’m sure you understand firsthand how important it is to be extremely careful about what you share on social media.

Personally, I’m not interested in harming anyone on this board. But there are others on this board who are just waiting for someone to make the slightest mistake so they can expose them—and possibly get them fired.
 
The only reason I mentioned it is because I’ve seen too many people lose their jobs after sharing their opinions on platforms like Instagram and X. For example, there was a woman at a Brewers baseball game who got fed up with a fan who was antagonizing her. He ended up catching her on video saying, “Call ICE,” and the clip went viral. The next thing you know, she lost her job.

And look at what’s happening in government—Trump recently revoked the visas of five individuals simply because of their opinions on the Charlie Kirk incident. Who knows what agencies might be monitoring this message board? As someone who also sits at the C-suite level as a Chief Information Officer, I’m sure you understand firsthand how important it is to be extremely careful about what you share on social media.

Personally, I’m not interested in harming anyone on this board. But there are others on this board who are just waiting for someone to make the slightest mistake so they can expose them—and possibly get them fired.
Fair enough. I did go back and sweep what I wrote to see if anything pointed to the RL me or was insulting, just to be sure after I read your post.
 
I think many have hit on a few key points, I would assume possibly a chemical imbalance possibly. You said you were on meds so maybe that may be a thing. I would get some blood work done to see what your levels look like, low testosterone could lead to everything you described (reduced motivation, low excitement or sense of reward, lower libido, flat mood, lack of interest in socializing, etc...), definitely look into that. But also I feel with age we also lose some enjoyment in things we used to love when we're younger. I used to be able to play through whole video games non-stop until I beat them, now? I probably only have the attention span to play 2-3 hours at a day, most of the time less than that before I'm like ok, enough. So maybe it's about trying some new things, getting some new hobbies, a pet, or even a change of scenery. Travel to somewhere you've never been but seems like a cool or interesting place to visit for a week and see how your emotions/moods feel on that trip. I definitely believe that you'll find your spark again, you just have to narrow down the root issue and find positive ways to resolve it
 
The only reason I mentioned it is because I’ve seen too many people lose their jobs after sharing their opinions on platforms like Instagram and X. For example, there was a woman at a Brewers baseball game who got fed up with a fan who was antagonizing her. He ended up catching her on video saying, “Call ICE,” and the clip went viral. The next thing you know, she lost her job.

And look at what’s happening in government—Trump recently revoked the visas of five individuals simply because of their opinions on the Charlie Kirk incident. Who knows what agencies might be monitoring this message board? As someone who also sits at the C-suite level as a Chief Information Officer, I’m sure you understand firsthand how important it is to be extremely careful about what you share on social media.

Personally, I’m not interested in harming anyone on this board. But there are others on this board who are just waiting for someone to make the slightest mistake so they can expose them—and possibly get them fired.
This is BGOL, we're not Instagram or Twitter. Although many of us have beef, it's still a brotherhood and we don't stoop to the levels of harming other members outside of here.

That policy's for regular members not trolls.
 
A few thoughts.

You have a home gym, but no workout partner. A scenic neighborhood, but no running club. A beautiful home theater, but no one to go to the movies with. Prestigious high paying job, but with a co-worker you can't stand.

Not a single description of a best friend, weekly poker game, church group, a secret crush on a barista, not even an arch nemesis.

IMO your severe depression sounds more like loneliness. Your beautiful house and luxury car has kept you cut off from the world so you ease your pain with convenience and accomplishment. It distracts you from the void, but it grows larger every morning becoming undeniable.

Instead of helping the poor or taking on a hobby, go through your phone contacts and call a buddy you haven't talked to in a while. Talk over old times, see how they've been. Go out for a beer or six.

You're published author, so call up a local independent bookstore to set up a reading/signing. Talk to the folks who changed their lives off your words.

Bad as things might seem, if you can go through your entire life and only consider suicide twice you're doing a hell of a lot better than the rest of us.

So can money buy happiness? Well, If you've almost got enough to retire, but still mad about a $250 shrink visit then it's not about the quarter grand
 
Back
Top