Who’s watching the Live Chris Rock Netflix special tonight???

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I disagree homie. Great performers challenge themselves and go outside of the boundaries. And I don't think you can compare music with comedy. This shit hurt Chris Rock's brand and image. He was in better standing before the comedy special. And if don't understand the fact that there's more women in the world than men and they spend 80% of the money in the household than you don't understand business my brother. All that feminist shit is nonsense to me. No disrespect intended.
Really...name a musician who came out in the 80s or 90s still making hits today who's music sounds completely different than when they started?

People need to articulate what they were expecting from rock in terms of how he would respond to the slap?

What exactly hurt his standing and image? In the era of the HOT TAKE it could be ANYTHING but what do you think hurt his image?

Also could someone post a copy of the article cuz NYT is a subscription.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
you have friends who keep medical conditions secret from their friends. look at meth and his wife cancer battle. they kept it from family members and friends. wendy williams blew it up. just because you're good friends with some one doesn't mean tell them every single thing going on in your life.

Touche n*gga touche

But Jada spoke about it publicly a few times. So I don't think that applies

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Touche n*gga touche

But Jada spoke about it publicly a few times. So I don't think that applies

I didn't buy that he didn't know. I knew and I don't follow celebrities or the Smith fam. I'd expect a comedian to be up on current events, as they normally use current events in their comedy.

I didn't look at the original thread after the first page or two. If the joke was prepared ahead of time, he definitely should have known. If it was an on the spot roast because he just noticed it for the first time when seeing her in the audience, then he should have issued an apology stating he didn't know, that it is his part of his profession to interact with and use the audience for jokes but he never would have intentionally added to her trauma and personal struggle and then said some bs about her looking good and wearing it well and wishing her the best. He could have said something about respecting Will for defending his wife and then made some joke about that.

I'm not invested in this feud or incident and fell asleep during most of the show. I went back the first night to watch the pre-show, but I haven't gone back yet to watch the main event. Even though I laughed at what I did watch, I don't feel compelled to finish it.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's your definition of "the woke era"?

on the one hand I'm glad that groups and peoples who have been historically (in American history) marginalized, disregarded and told to just shut the fuck up and take it! NOW are in a place where they can say no YOU shut the fuck up! And start dishing out some of the shit theyve had to take for the last couple 100 years.

But the downside is too often it goes into a petty super sensitive reaction to the point where a stand up comedian doing his job making a joke about older men dating young women and the punchline is I'm trying to fuck DOJA CAT!

is met with:

and the fact that shit like this can go viral and others can chime in to the point where it can sway "legit" news media to give it more exposure and suddenly the offending person actually has to address it in a serious manner is just plain bullshit and THATS the part of "woke era" that I find most annoying.

25 years ago this wouldn't have been possible and it would have been a GOOD THING!

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
on the one hand I'm glad that groups and peoples who have been historically (in American history) marginalized, disregarded and told to just shut the fuck up and take it! NOW are in a place where they can say no YOU shut the fuck up! And start dishing out some of the shit theyve had to take for the last couple 100 years.

But the downside is too often it goes into a petty super sensitive reaction to the point where a stand up comedian doing his job making a joke about older men dating young women and the punchline is I'm trying to fuck DOJA CAT!

is met with:

and the fact that shit like this can go viral and others can chime in to the point where it can sway "legit" news media to give it more exposure and suddenly the offending person actually has to address it in a serious manner is just plain bullshit and THATS the part of "woke era" that I find most annoying.

25 years ago this wouldn't have been possible and it would have been a GOOD THING!

Really? in the 90's people would get into fist fights over which East coast vs West cost rapper was the best. If social media was around back then shit would have been worst.

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought it had its funny parts and I wasn't appalled that he went in on Will and Jada... What did we expect. He been the butt of jokes for a year and change.

I do wonder why the Jada grooming her sons friend doesn't seem yucky and almost criminal gets overlooked.

While I don't like Jada I wouldn't call her bitch on stage but I also understand.....

I don't think this was far of Chris Rocks brand.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
Not Chris best work but not as bad as some of the critics are saying...he explained his side of the situation well but oddly enough also unintentionally gave Will some justification as its clear there is a personal beef between Chris and Jada from when she told him to leave the Oscars gig

Based of all the shit I was hearing, I expected Chris to go much harder on Jada than he actually did...people talking about bashing Black women....what he said didnt come close to that and didnt warrant what was being said about him... he didnt over focus on Jada

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shit was hilarious funnier than the last 3 things Chappelle did.
He didn't go hard on them at all cause he said he don't fight in front of white people.
Not Chris best work but not as bad as some of the critics are saying...he explained his side of the situation well but oddly enough also unintentionally gave Will some justification as its clear there is a personal beef between Chris and Jada from when she told him to leave the Oscars gig

Based of all the shit I was hearing, I expected Chris to go much harder on Jada than he actually did...people talking about bashing Black women....what he said didnt come close to that and didnt warrant what was being said about him... he didnt over focus on Jada

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
I didn't buy that he didn't know. I knew and I don't follow celebrities or the Smith fam. I'd expect a comedian to be up on current events, as they normally use current events in their comedy.

I didn't look at the original thread after the first page or two. If the joke was prepared ahead of time, he definitely should have known. If it was an on the spot roast because he just noticed it for the first time when seeing her in the audience, then he should have issued an apology stating he didn't know, that it is his part of his profession to interact with and use the audience for jokes but he never would have intentionally added to her trauma and personal struggle and then said some bs about her looking good and wearing it well and wishing her the best. He could have said something about respecting Will for defending his wife and then made some joke about that.

I'm not invested in this feud or incident and fell asleep during most of the show. I went back the first night to watch the pre-show, but I haven't gone back yet to watch the main event. Even though I laughed at what I did watch, I don't feel compelled to finish it.
Not coming at you...just expressing a differing viewpoint.

To base your conclusion upon YOUR knowing about Jada's alopecia issues, then supposing therefore you'd expect Chris to know seems very subjective.

I didn't know about it and therefore would have no expectation for Chris to know. My male and female friends whom I individually discussed it with were also not aware of her alopecia issue. I know that's anecdotal as well, but just saying I think it's a reach to assume that Chris had foreknowledge. If you don't follow celebs or the Smith fam, most likely a good deal of other folks don't really follow them closely as well. The events all did seem to collectively know about were the ones that got blown up all over social media- ie: the red table talk August Alsina incident. I don't think Jada's alopecia falls into that category.

I think it's unrealistic to expect or say Chris should have issued an apology after he was hit in his face on live tv. First that presupposes that he knew about her condition and was intentionally malicious. Secondly, it also seems to imply that what he actually said was egregiously offensive. I would strongly disagree- especially relative to what Oscar comedian/hosts say about celebrity audience members. So then should he or any other of the comedians in the past have compiled a list of what not to joke about with every celeb in the front row?

Whatever Chris said, knew about or didn't know about was not deserving of him getting hit. Will was the one who owed HIM an apology for doing that shit. He should have stayed his ass in his seat.

Last edited:

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Not coming at you...just expressing a differing viewpoint.

To base your conclusion upon YOUR knowing about Jada's alopecia issues, then supposing therefore you'd expect Chris to know seems very subjective.

I didn't know about it and therefore would have no expectation for Chris to know. My male and female friends whom I individually discussed it with were also not aware of her alopecia issue. I know that's anecdotal as well, but just saying I think it's a reach to assume that Chris had foreknowledge. If you don't follow celebs or the Smith fam, most likely a good deal of other folks don't really follow them closely as well. The events all did seem to collectively know about were the ones that got blown up all over social media- ie: the red table talk August Alsina incident. I don't think Jada's alopecia falls into that category.

I think it's unrealistic to expect or say Chris should have issued an apology after he was hit in his face on live tv. First that presupposes that he knew about her condition and was intentionally malicious. Secondly, it also seems to imply that what he actually said was egregiously offensive. I would strongly disagree- especially relative to what Oscar comedian/hosts say about celebrity audience members. So then should he or any other of the comedians in the past have compiled a list of what not to joke about with every celeb in the front row?

Whatever Chris said, knew about or didn't know about was not deserving of him getting hit. Will was the one who owed HIM an apology for doing that shit. He should have stayed his ass in his seat.

I found out because it was trending on social media and BGOL had a thread about it.

I've never given my thoughts about the original incident one way or the other because it didn't hold my interest beyond hearing about it. In fact, other than this thread, I've not discussed it on or offline. I still find it hard to believe that someone whose livelihood requires them to be up to date on current events and trends, missed something that trended for an entire week on social media. They most likely have mutual friends. No one called him and asked what what up with ole girl or asked if he liked her look or anything? I'm sorry but I still don't buy it.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
I found out because it was trending on social media and BGOL had a thread about it.

I've never given my thoughts about the original incident one way or the other because it didn't hold my interest beyond hearing about it. In fact, other than this thread, I've not discussed it on or offline. I still find it hard to believe that someone whose livelihood requires them to be up to date on current events and trends, missed something that trended for an entire week on social media. They most likely have mutual friends. No one called him and asked what what up with ole girl or asked if he liked her look or anything? I'm sorry but I still don't buy it.
That's fair.

I never saw that BGOL post, or may have seen the title and scrolled past it because of disinterest. I notice that the first mention of her having alopecia happened on post #36 and a few posts later someone put a link to an article with Jada talking about having it. I had no idea about it until a week or two after the slap occurred.

Do you really think it unusual to think that no one called him up specifically asking about Jada Pinkett's baldness?

I never really have much used my Twitter account and am only recently using Instagram with regularity. I come here and read stuff, get headlines from Apple News sent to notifications (some which I click on) and I use YouTube heavily, including a good deal of progressive news analysis.

Just now, I went and looked at Chris Rock's official pages on Twitter and IG. It looked to me like his posting is sporadic at best. Usually it's connected to an appearance, concert dates or something like him being on a magazine cover. There were a few retweets, but I don't remember seeing things where he was giving his opinion on things. There would be a bunch of postings for a week or two, usually connected to concert announcements, then nothing for months on end. This, especially prior to the slapping incident. So from that, I gather that Chris is not really much of a social media dude relative to someone like D.L. Hughley who does full commentaries on current events or even Snoop who has brief commentary where he posts funny and quirky stuff. It would not surprise me if Chris has a social media person doing his postings for him.

Last year, it was reported in a ton of publications that Kenny Rock said his brother knew nothing about Jada's condition. True? I don't know for sure. But I haven't heard anything proving the opposite.

Me personally, I don't care for Jada Pinkett-Smith. Yet when they first showed her on the Oscar red carpet, my first thought was how beautiful she looked and how striking she was with her hair super short like that. Every woman can't pull that look off. She did it magnificently. I'd have never guessed she was sensitive about how she looked or that her hair was short as a result of alopecia.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
It's a problem when BGOL starts sounding like a reddit sub.

"woke"
You're not allowed to used terms like"wooe , sjw, pander etc" that shit will get you banned. Reddit is very pro LGBT and pronoun gang.

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered
Shit was hilarious funnier than the last 3 things Chappelle did.
He didn't go hard on them at all cause he said he don't fight in front of white people.
This is a fact no one in here is willing to accept. Despite the boring parts in Chris' show, I laughed several times throughout it. Comedy is subjective, but a lot of these mf's are lying.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is a fact no one in here is willing to accept. Despite the boring parts in Chris' show, I laughed several times throughout it. Comedy is subjective, but a lot of these mf's are lying.

What benefit would it be to lie to myself and tell myself that it wasn't funny? And then for people to come here and tell us that they didn't like it, when they actually did?

As you said, comedy's subjective.

If you like it and laughed that's great, but it doesn't mean that those who didn't share that same experience are lying.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
What benefit would it be to lie to myself and tell myself that it wasn't funny? And then for people to come here and tell us that they didn't like it, when they actually did?

As you said, comedy's subjective.

If you like it and laughed that's great, but it doesn't mean that those who didn't share that same experience are lying.

^^^^

This

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's true.

But it is an age old belief that supposedly women gossip more so than men...

(And more emotional)

And the internet has proven that to be grossly incorrect.

Humans are all emotional whether it's love, hate, happiness or sadness.

It's just what we are, but I hear you.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Humans are all emotional whether it's love, hate, happiness or sadness.

It's just what we are, but I hear you.

Exactly we gotta stop making these hard fast divisive myths facts.

Of course men and women are different.

But there are a whole lot of similarities too.

We ALL human. Period.

And like you stated perfectly

Art is subjective

And the entire entertainment industry proves that every second of every day