TV SHOWS / SERIES - Seen any good ones lately? Please feel free to post reviews / feedback / trailers / articles / TV news / all that shit ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Man Kim's Convenience is funny as fuck. I don't know how I missed this.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Damn. I liked that show. Fucked up it was all white writers.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Paramount+ should try to reboot Degrassi next..

That's a good point. I wouldn't be surprised if they (or someone similar) aims to reboot it. Especially how it has bounced around over the decades. Between Canada and the U.S. alone, it has aired through CBC, CTV, MuchMusic, Family, Netflix, PBS, TeenNick, and Nickelodeon.

I remember catching some of the earlier stuff on CBC as a kid, and the early-2000s on CTV. They lost me years later with MuchMusic, etc.

Degrassi is a Canadian teen drama franchise created by Kit Hood and Linda Schuyler in 1979. It follows the lives of youths who lived on or near the eponymous De Grassi Street in Toronto, Ontario. The franchise spans five main series: The Kids of Degrassi Street, Degrassi Junior High, Degrassi High, Degrassi: The Next Generation and Degrassi: Next Class, as well as television specials and made-for-TV films.

Degrassi was originally produced by Playing With Time Inc., a production company owned by Hood & Schuyler. The Kids Of Degrassi Street, which made its debut in 1979, began as four annual after-school specials before switching to a weekly format in 1982.[1] Degrassi Junior High, which aired on CBC from 1987 to 1989, featured actors from the previous series but in new roles and established the show's canon. It was followed by Degrassi High, which followed the same characters in high school, from 1989 to 1991. Both shows were broadcast on PBS in the United States where they gained a cult following.

Degrassi: The Next Generation, which saw several original characters return in adult roles, was produced by Schuyler's new company Epitome Pictures and originally premiered on CTV in 2001, simultaneously airing on TeenNick and Nickelodeon in the United States. After nine seasons, it was shortened to Degrassi and ended in 2015. Degrassi: Next Class, the last Degrassi series to date, aired on Family in Canada and released on Netflix in early 2016, and ended in 2017.

Degrassi has had a significant cultural impact since its inception in 1979 and has attracted critical acclaim, accolades, and controversy for its depictions of teenagers. Several actors from the franchise have achieved wider recognition and stardom since their time on the series, most notably Canadian actor-turned-rapper Drake, who starred in The Next Generation.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The Upshaws

87d6dc26139e00578beaaf32dc661a74.jpg

:lol::bravo:I just got through watching the first season. And I think this was done very well. This is the first black show. On Netflix that I binged watched. Shit, watched period. I only made it through half of the Jamie Foxx series. Ill give it another try, this weekend. But all in all I hope this show gets another season.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Law & Order Organized Crime has no right to be as good as it is

They are ALL just EATING UP the screen

shout out Dylan

20210521_100002-3.jpg

but damn it is entertaining as hell

and SURPRISINGLY graphic violence and sex for network.

Chris Meloni brought Stabler back with a exigence.

Nick Creegan as the punk son...

sidebar...

Nice mini The Practice reunion with Eugene and Bobby that I HOPE pays off.

Yea that season finale was good,knew it was going to end on a cliffhanger..

That part with the standoff,i left my closed captioning on and was dying when it read the gunman's dialogue:

"CHUT UP!!!! GIVE US WHEETLEE NAH!!!" :roflmao2:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Really good lead performance from Kate Winslet. Good supporting cast as well.

OK I'm 2 episodes in... I don't know what to say

I thought it predictable as hell and by the numbers

The white girls death rocking the entire town thing is being done to death

and then...

These fools starting acting their collective asses off!

and now EVERYONE is a suspect and they already got the guns out

Its the PERFORMANCES across the board

and the claustrophobic feeling of living in the SAME town their whole entire lives.

It got a 10 year soap opera feel in less than 120 minutes

Kate Winslet>>>>>>>

INCREDIBLE.

yeah I'm hooked.

Can they KEEP this up?

BETTER NOT DISAPPOINT.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
OK I'm 2 episodes in... I don't know what to say

I thought it predictable as hell and by the numbers

The white girls death rocking the entire town thing is being done to death

and then...

These fools starting acting their collective asses off!

and now EVERYONE is a suspect and they already got the guns out

Its the PERFORMANCES across the board

and the claustrophobic feeling of living in the SAME town their whole entire lives.

It got a 10 year soap opera feel in less than 120 minutes

Kate Winslet>>>>>>>

INCREDIBLE.

yeah I'm hooked.

Can they KEEP this up?

BETTER NOT DISAPPOINT.
:popcorn:

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
i might put this in the trap ... looks promising ...

any reviews ..?

4b1ac458841cf0a0177c5cc806c2a054.jpg

The life and rise of Livia Drusilla, the powerful wife of the Roman emperor Augustus Caesar.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
cf431cea7b42d1eec0c115b311b44f38.png

Anne Boleyn explores her struggle to stay alive in the final months of her life, as she endeavors to secure her daughter’s future and challenge the patriarchy as her execution hangs over her head.

I like this comment from a chick on youtube .... v v v

Arielle M.
1 week ago

As a black woman who has always loved historical and time pieces when it comes to movies, I have something to say. In the words of ratchets worldwide “this ain’t where it’s at, chief”. As much as I’m all about equal opportunity when it comes to black women in film, I don’t see the purpose of this. Anne Boleyn was not a fictional character or even a person whose physical characteristics or identity wasn’t recorded through art and literature (leaving her appearance open to interpretation). She was a white woman... PERIOD.

I don’t think casting a black woman as Anne Boleyn was a smart choice. If Hollywood really wants to ensure that there is equal representation of black women in a positive light, they need to stop cheating the world of the opportunity to learn of the many black queens, princesses, empresses, warriors, goddesses, leaders and their influences on history. BRING THAT TO THE BIG SCREEN. Show us something other than movies about slavery. Black history didn’t just up and start at slavery. So stop insulting us with yet another missed opportunity to educate the world on who black people are and who we come from. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
cf431cea7b42d1eec0c115b311b44f38.png

Anne Boleyn explores her struggle to stay alive in the final months of her life, as she endeavors to secure her daughter’s future and challenge the patriarchy as her execution hangs over her head.

I like this comment from a chick on youtube .... v v v

Arielle M.
1 week ago

As a black woman who has always loved historical and time pieces when it comes to movies, I have something to say. In the words of ratchets worldwide “this ain’t where it’s at, chief”. As much as I’m all about equal opportunity when it comes to black women in film, I don’t see the purpose of this. Anne Boleyn was not a fictional character or even a person whose physical characteristics or identity wasn’t recorded through art and literature (leaving her appearance open to interpretation). She was a white woman... PERIOD.

I don’t think casting a black woman as Anne Boleyn was a smart choice. If Hollywood really wants to ensure that there is equal representation of black women in a positive light, they need to stop cheating the world of the opportunity to learn of the many black queens, princesses, empresses, warriors, goddesses, leaders and their influences on history. BRING THAT TO THE BIG SCREEN. Show us something other than movies about slavery. Black history didn’t just up and start at slavery. So stop insulting us with yet another missed opportunity to educate the world on who black people are and who we come from. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

:lol:

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Anyone check out the series Startup in recent years? Talked to a coworker and he binged a number of episodes this past weekend after a recommendation from one of his friends. He's really enjoying it thus far ... watching it on Prime.

StartUp is an American web television drama series created by Ben Ketai that premiered on September 6, 2016 on Crackle. The series stars Adam Brody, Edi Gathegi, Otmara Marrero, Martin Freeman, Ron Perlman, Addison Timlin, and Mira Sorvino. On November 15, 2017, the series was renewed for a third season which was released on November 1, 2018.

StartUp follows "the emergence of GenCoin, a brilliant yet controversial tech idea centered on digital currency — an idea that gets incubated on the wrong side of the tracks by three strangers who don’t necessarily fit the mold of 'tech entrepreneurs' and a crooked FBI agent who will go to any lengths to take them down."[1]

I just started watching this last Wednesday night. I'm 2 episodes into the third season.
The show is fire! This is like if Silicon Valley was a drama.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I just started watching this last Wednesday night. I'm 2 episodes into the third season.
The show is fire! This is like if Silicon Valley was a drama.

Glad you are liking it too! I need to check it out. Good to have your and coworker’s positive reviews each backing it lately.

:thumbsup: :cheers:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Currently watching her as the lead on the HBO Max 30 min comedy, Hacks. Pretty good thus far. Interesting contrasting that to her role on Mare. I
like her cadence / delivery of lines. We’ve seen 4 eps of Hacks in recent weeks

How are you liking Mare?

This thing is just oddly engrossing now on the 4th episode

like I said in my earlier post...this first episode seemed so routine and then BOOM it got me

Mare is an asshole. I am sick of the unlikable lead male or female.

but Kate Winslet?

how the f*ck is kinda sorta pulling off sexy?!?!? (the partner trying to hit on her at the bar actually felt right?!?)

she transformed herself so completely. She is so broken and angry and pathetic but bold brash and confident at the same time

but a little bit dirty hot?

She is ACTING HER ASS OFF (honestly they ALL are)

EVERYTHING she is dong is creating LAYERS AND LAYERS

The vape pen

the limp early on

the awkward forced smile, the posture/shoulders

the eye rolls, the voice, the winter coat

when she goes to confront the husband the ENTIRE set up is CLASSIC

we have ALL SEEN that before in hundreds of these type of shows

the "hero" going to make the BIG ACCUSATIONS and reveal

but NEVER LIKE that

Mare begins to realize almost IMMEDIATELY

she f*cked up.

Its her shrinking during the scene, the looks from her daughter and the new girlfriend and her kids

and the ex husband (who lives f*cking NEXT DOOR!?!?)

who seemed like a pussy suddenly showing his backbone and the ENTIRE HOUSE hating Mare at the same time

Mare trying with utter futility to someone regain the upper hand realizing its too late.

when the ex husband comes in for the DNA sample her HIDING in her office do see her posture and eye movements and expressions

and the fact that while MARE is the star?

EVERYONE came with their A game

I suspect EVERYONE including baby DJ, the grandma and her partner.

I do not like ANYONE but damn it I feel for EACH AND EVERY PERSON

They do the dumbest sh*t but in this context its perfect.

even the dug addicted brother floating around the memorial picnic.

So all that being said?

Yeah its alright.

this should have its own thread

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
This thing is just oddly engrossing now on the 4th episode

like I said in my earlier post...this first episode seemed so routine and then BOOM it got me

Mare is an asshole. I am sick of the unlikable lead male or female.

but Kate Winslet?

how the f*ck is kinda sorta pulling off sexy?!?!? (the partner trying to hit on her at the bar actually felt right?!?)

she transformed herself so completely. She is so broken and angry and pathetic but bold brash and confident at the same time

but a little bit dirty hot?

She is ACTING HER ASS OFF (honestly they ALL are)

EVERYTHING she is dong is creating LAYERS AND LAYERS

The vape pen

the limp early on

the awkward forced smile, the posture/shoulders

the eye rolls, the voice, the winter coat

when she goes to confront the husband the ENTIRE set up is CLASSIC

we have ALL SEEN that before in hundreds of these type of shows

the "hero" going to make the BIG ACCUSATIONS and reveal

but NEVER LIKE that

Mare begins to realize almost IMMEDIATELY

she f*cked up.

Its her shrinking during the scene, the looks from her daughter and the new girlfriend and her kids

and the ex husband (who lives f*cking NEXT DOOR!?!?)

who seemed like a pussy suddenly showing his backbone and the ENTIRE HOUSE hating Mare at the same time

Mare trying with utter futility to someone regain the upper hand realizing its too late.

when the ex husband comes in for the DNA sample her HIDING in her office do see her posture and eye movements and expressions

and the fact that while MARE is the star?

EVERYONE came with their A game

I suspect EVERYONE including baby DJ, the grandma and her partner.

I do not like ANYONE but damn it I feel for EACH AND EVERY PERSON

They do the dumbest sh*t but in this context its perfect.

even the dug addicted brother floating around the memorial picnic.

So all that being said?

Yeah its alright.

this should have its own thread

Very good takes. I hear you re: the accusations and shrinking in posture, etc. Yeah - lots of the fellow cast bringing their A game too. The death at the start of the season reminded us alot of the real-life news story decades back in Victoria, BC of Reena Virk. Read about that one online. Don’t worry - completely different stories and premises. But that underlying element of malice near the woods & river.

Wait until the end of episode 5, Playa. Great tension in the last 10 mins.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Very good takes. I hear you re: the accusations and shrinking in posture, etc. Yeah - lots of the fellow cast bringing their A game too. The death at the start of the season reminded us alot of the real-life news story decades back in Victoria, BC of Reena Virk. Read about that one online. Don’t worry - completely different stories and premises. But that underlying element of malice near the woods & river.

Wait until the end of episode 5, Playa. Great tension in the last 10 mins.

Oh with you and @ViCiouS co sign I'm locked in.

I actually did NOT watch earlier cause I thought the hype might be undeserved. So far it is up there.

Its crazy

look at Fleabag, Chasing Eve, now this the chess show on Netflix...this British actors KILLING IT!

We REALLY need a good Black male lead series like this one.

respect to Luthor

Leatherf7ce

Phantom of the Chakras
BGOL Investor
This week

Mare of Easton (up to do 5, great so far of you like mysteries)

Ragnarok on Netflix

Run the World on Starz (Black sex and city) watch this to be able to talk to bitches about it like insecure

A Black Lady Sketch show kinda fell off without Quinta....but season one worth it on hbomax

Final Space (if you like Rick and Morty, check for it)

Godfather of Harlem got some bad bitches, sorry good too

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This week

Mare of Easton (up to do 5, great so far of you like mysteries)

Ragnarok on Netflix

Run the World on Starz (Black sex and city) watch this to be able to talk to bitches about it like insecure

A Black Lady Sketch show kinda fell off without Quinta....but season one worth it on hbomax

Final Space (if you like Rick and Morty, check for it)

Godfather of Harlem got some bad bitches, sorry good too

Everything except the black lady sketch show...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@ViCiouS @Helico-pterFunk

OMG !?!?!

WTF?!?!?

HOW WHAT WHY????!!!

on the final episode now.

Let us know how you liked the finale. We thought it played out pretty well. Some good, dramatic & emotional scenes. Here are the aggregate scores on Metacritic -

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Let us know how you liked the finale. We thought it played out pretty well. Some good, dramatic & emotional scenes. Here are the aggregate scores on Metacritic -

Yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK ok OK ok

I needed a minute.

First off thoroughly enjoyed it couldn't stop watched it back to back amazing performances addictive

Love the huge cast everyone came to play it's crazy there were really no minor characters EVERYONE had a significant part to play EVERYONE.

very very much inspired by Broadchurch (which I very highly recommend)

I stand by the predictability I felt each twists and turns cool surprises but I figured it out

The moment in the boys bedroom was so small but so well done everything after that just supportedmy suspicions

great writing and even better acting

But again I watched 2 seasons of Broadchurch and the resolutions are VERY similar surprised no one has mentioned the similarities

The ending was well earned and felt right.

I can't go deeper without spoilers

Thank you both for the recommendation

It was perfect for my tastes.

But damn you for making me seriously consider Mare and Lori as hot.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK ok OK ok

I needed a minute.

First off thoroughly enjoyed it couldn't stop watched it back to back amazing performances addictive

Love the huge cast everyone came to play it's crazy there were really no minor characters EVERYONE had a significant part to play EVERYONE.

very very much inspired by Broadchurch (which I very highly recommend)

I stand by the predictability I felt each twists and turns cool surprises but I figured it out

The moment in the boys bedroom was so small but so well done everything after that just supportedmy suspicions

great writing and even better acting

But again I watched 2 seasons of Broadchurch and the resolutions are VERY similar surprised no one has mentioned the similarities

The ending was well earned and felt right.

I can't go deeper without spoilers

Thank you both for the recommendation

It was perfect for my tastes.

But damn you for making me seriously consider Mare and Lori as hot.

Lol @ the Mare and Lori line at the end.

Really glad you enjoyed it, and smart to wait and get the BGOL fam's perspectives and then jump in (without spoilers) and really dig it!

So hard to do (avoid spoilers) in this digital information age. Listened to an interview with Winslet on The Watch podcast, and she noted it was challenging sitting on the reveal at the end of the finale, and she was glad that it wasn't spoiled ahead of time and that it surprised a good number of people once all was said and done. It wasn't predictably formulaic.

Thanks for the reminder re: Broadchurch. Got to add that one back to the list, as it's always been on the radar!

Good point about the one scene being so small, but still important.

Good point about the significance of the characters to one another ... being a small community. Whole cast came with it. Everyone delivered. Felt like you knew them and they were "lived in" as a collective group, despite it only being a limited series. There was enough character development established. Enough characters where they could layer some of the storylines, but NOT bog it down and make it convoluted or hard to follow.

:thumbsup:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Lol @ the Mare and Lori line at the end.

Really glad you enjoyed it, and smart to wait and get the BGOL fam's perspectives and then jump in (without spoilers) and really dig it!

So hard to do (avoid spoilers) in this digital information age. Listened to an interview with Winslet on The Watch podcast, and she noted it was challenging sitting on the reveal at the end of the finale, and she was glad that it wasn't spoiled ahead of time and that it surprised a good number of people once all was said and done. It wasn't predictably formulaic.

Thanks for the reminder re: Broadchurch. Got to add that one back to the list, as it's always been on the radar!

Good point about the one scene being so small, but still important.

Good point about the significance of the characters to one another ... being a small community. Whole cast came with it. Everyone delivered. Felt like you knew them and they were "lived in" as a collective group, despite it only being a limited series. There was enough character development established. Enough characters where they could layer some of the storylines, but NOT bog it down and make it convoluted or hard to follow.

:thumbsup:

It was so well done all around I would like to revisit that same town.

And see Mare a few years later...

Is her daughter back from college? How is the ex-girlfriend ex band member druggie doing? Does mare grandson really have a condition? Did her ex husband really get remarried? Did her mom get with the widower? Did the professor comeback to easttown? How is Lori with the baby? How is the kidnapped girl adjusting? The father who shot D is getting released early...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
It was so well done all around I would like to revisit that same town.

And see Mare a few years later...

Is her daughter back from college? How is the ex-girlfriend ex band member druggie doing? Does mare grandson really have a condition? Did her ex husband really get remarried? Did her mom get with the widower? Did the professor comeback to easttown? How is Lori with the baby? How is the kidnapped girl adjusting? The father who shot D is getting released early...

Agreed. I'm glad they left us wanting more, and didn't wear out their welcome. Heard some podcasters say they'd like to revisit it too - even if a 2nd season came around years from now. The director mentioned IF it ever felt right and they could stay true to the story/characters, you can't flat-out say a 2nd season wouldn't happen. At this point it's just a 1-off series.

Lol @ the mom and widower line. That was too funny him mentioning the affair at the wake. A simple moment of humor and levity which breaks the seriousness of each episode. Like the mom toppling off the chair in the kitchen. Or her having the incident on the stairs a few eps back. We played that back a few times just off the impact & sound alone.

Hoped there would have been more Guy Pearce during the season. Talented actor, but just had the small role.

Quite the adjustment period for the friend's girl.