TV SHOWS / SERIES - Seen any good ones lately? Please feel free to post reviews / feedback / trailers / articles / TV news / all that shit ...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@Helico-pterFunk

One part gets me...

The peeping Tom neighbor

Was Mare giving him a pass because he reminded her of Kevin? And how would giving him a pass help?

Did not like that black women off just one moment. When the woman felt horrible FINALLY about harassing Mare publicly for months basically saying it was her fault her daughter was never found... that woman told her no its OK you just doing what a mother supposed to do.

Yet she calls Mare NOT THE POLICE when her drug addled brother robbing stealing breaking into hones etc.

That one moment soured her to me the entire series.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Agreed. I'm glad they left us wanting more, and didn't wear out their welcome. Heard some podcasters say they'd like to revisit it too - even if a 2nd season came around years from now. The director mentioned IF it ever felt right and they could say true to the story/characters, you can't flat-out say a 2nd season wouldn't happen. At this point it's just a 1-off series.

Lol @ the mom and widower line. That was too funny him mentioning the affair at the wake. A simple moment of humor and levity which breaks the seriousness of each episode.

Hoped there would have been more Guy Pearce during the season. Talented actor, but just had the small role.

Quite the adjustment period for the friend's girl.

Guy Pierce slept on actor

But I thought he killed it because while it was brief? It was significant very much so.

Looking back EVERY interaction was key

Making her feel confident and beautiful at her lowest point. Forcing her to confront her grandson mom. Having her look to the future. Acceptance.

His form of therapy was actually what she needed.

Even the cancelled date was key to her regrowth. It gave her hope, joy and confidence. Layer She felt wanted and seen.

At the time she felt shame and guilt for using people like she was always doing. But Calvin wasn't FROM East Town he was different and didn't deserve that. She was so damn used to the SAME PEOPLE.

And the professor taught her real forgiveness and to appreciate life.

That's a lot in like a total of less than 15 min screen times out of 7 hours series.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@Helico-pterFunk

One part gets me...

The peeping Tom neighbor

Was Mare giving him a pass because he reminded her of Kevin? And how would giving him a pass help?

Did not like that black women off just one moment. When the woman felt horrible FINALLY about harassing Mare publicly for months basically saying it was her fault her daughter was never found... that woman told her no its OK you just doing what a mother supposed to do.

Yet she calls Mare NOT THE POLICE when her drug addled brother robbing stealing breaking into hones etc.

That one moment soured her to me the entire series.

I'm not sure re: the neighbor & reminding her of Kevin. I had hoped there would have been more flashback scenes (and info) regarding him. I found those scenes effective, though they were limited and too short. Pretty intense that one flashback wherein him or the gf is yelling at Mare as she's cowering in the corner of the room. Damn. Also, the emotional scene with the daughter placing the guilt on Mare for having been the one who discovered Kevin.

Re: the woman's brother. It was a challenging dynamic there. Especially as it pertains to addiction. How seriously it can weigh on other family members, who in turn take it out on others close to them.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Guy Pierce slept on actor

But I thought he killed it because while it was brief? It was significant very much so.

Looking back EVERY interaction was key

Making her feel confident and beautiful at her lowest point. Forcing her to confront her grandson mom. Having her look to the future. Acceptance. His form of therapy was actually what she needed. Even the cancelled date was key to her regrowth. It gave her hope, joy and confidence. She felt wanted and seen. And he taught her real forgiveness and to appreciate life.

That's a lot in like a total of less than 15 min screen times out of 7 hours series.

Good points. His scenes counted. Also, I'm glad that he was just a character who was "there". He was present and thankfully wasn't some shady piece of shit.

What did you think of Zabel's storyline? Wow ... that last 5 - 10 minutes of episode 5 ... when they walked in and noted the ashtray and pack of cigarettes. We were watching like "Fuck ..."

:scared:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Good points. His scenes counted. Also, I'm glad that he was just a character who was "there". He was present and thankfully wasn't some shady piece of shit.

What did you think of Zabel's storyline? Wow ... that last 5 - 10 minutes of episode 5 ... when they walked in and noted the ashtray and pack of cigarettes. We were watching like "Fuck ..."

:scared:

I knew...

You knew.

When the mother said to her son be careful concerning Mare to him at the dinner table it was a wrap.

The way she always watched her from the door...

Then the kiss of death.

Zabel mom looked at Mare like Mare looks at her son's girlfriend

Same way.

Now Mare knows how it feels.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I knew...

You knew.

Then the kiss of death.

Zabel mom looked at Mare like Mare looks at her son's girlfriend

Same way.

Now Mare knows how it feels.

Man ... chills. Chills.

Side note - if someone were to ask me about the series ... I would say the following re: storytelling. If you liked this show - also check out Gone Baby Gone , Manchester by the Sea and The Departed movie-wise, and Dublin Murders + Sharp Objects series-wise. Or if they've already seen one or more of the aforementioned, then they're probably gonna like Mare of Easttown too.

I remember seeing the opening few minutes of Gone Baby Gone years back and being sold immediately. Knew I was going to like it. It set the tone & mood off jump. Referred it to some other friends and family. Saw it years later at a Goodwill for $2 and bought it just because. Was already buying some other movies & books.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Man ... chills. Chills.

Side note - if someone were to ask me about the series ... I would say the following re: storytelling. If you liked this show - also check out Gone Baby Gone and The Departed movie-wise, and Dublin Murders + Sharp Objects series-wise. Or if they've already seen one or more of the aforementioned, then they're probably gonna like Mare of Easttown too.

I remember seeing the opening few minutes of Gone Baby Gone years back and being sold immediately. Knew I was going to like it. It set the tone & mood off jump. Referred it to some other friends and family. Saw it years later at a Goodwill for $2 and bought it just because. Was already buying some other movies & books.

Also l want to give much respect to the music and editing

The piano throughout this was PERFECT

That is why I can never be a professional sports or music or film critic.

Look at all the damn work all the moving parts in a production like this.

For your mind to work on all levels like that to me is amazing

How the hell can some guy on the internet REALLY who never ever even attempted work like that talk sh*t?

The piano followed Mare around and was the perfect voice to her inner workings.

All your suggestions were spot on bro

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Also l want to give much respect to the music and editing

The piano throughout this was PERFECT

That is why I can never be a professional sports or music or film critic.

Look at all the damn work all the moving parts in a production like this.

For your mind to work on all levels like that to me is amazing

How the hell can some guy on the internet REALLY who never ever even attempted work like that talk sh*t?

The piano followed Mare around and was the perfect voice to her inner workings.

All your suggestions were spot on bro

Thanks - I went back and edited "Manchester by the Sea" into my reply too. Watched that one within the past 6 months or so and it had a similar vibe at times. That small town feel. Well said re: music production, scoring, editing, etc. So many layers go into TV and movies. It's nice being able to appreciate all the moving parts. Especially now with so much access to Youtube, review sites, podcasts, etc. Back in the day we got our info from magazines, newspaper reviews & radio shows, or Entertainment Tonight.

Thank God for forums like BGOL and others with countless discussion threads.

I hear you re: talking shit. I don't have the first clue about the first clue when it comes to behind the scenes. So I stay in my lane. I'm a fan of productions that are done well. And it's damn good having BGOL as a key resource for peoples' recommendations, and also feedback about stuff that isn't worth your time.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Currently watching her as the lead on the HBO Max 30 min comedy, Hacks. Pretty good thus far. Interesting contrasting that to her role on Mare. I
like her cadence / delivery of lines. We’ve seen 4 eps of Hacks in recent weeks

How are you liking Mare?
I binged Hacks last night. I thought that it was hilarious af. I had a good buzz (edibles) going when I sat down to watch it. By episode 4, I was dying. :lol:

When Celine Deborah saw Ava taking those selfies and she was commenting about it in the car, I was tripping because her entire entourage fits the bill. :lol:

The writing was outstanding, the performances were very well done, and the various characters kept me in stitches, like her daughter and how she sustains herself, and the inept receptionist. Nepotism is a bitch. :lol:

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I binged Hacks last night. I thought that it was hilarious af. I had a good buzz (edibles) going when I sat down to watch it. By episode 4, I was dying. :lol:

When Celine saw Ava taking those selfies and she was commenting about it in the car, I was tripping because her entire entourage fits the bill. :lol:

The writing was outstanding, the performances were very well done, and the various characters kept me in stitches, like her daughter and how she sustains herself, and the inept receptionist. Nepotism is a bitch. :lol:

Lol @ watching it with an edible buzz. That's how you do it, @Shaka54 !

Definitely a clever show ... and well-written. We're picking up on episode 5 next week.

The actress Jean Smart played Winslet's mom on the recent season of Mare of Easttown that's discussed in this current thread.

Here she is (also great) in season 2 of Fargo. She joins the scene just after the 01:15 mark ...

Floyd Gerhardt is a fictional character in the second season of the FX television series Fargo and is portrayed by Jean Smart. Smart received widespread critical acclaim for her performance, winning the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Movie/Miniseries and was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie.[1][2]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@Shaka54 - Interesting side note. The guy who plays Deborah and Ava's manager on the show is also one of the showrunners for the series.

I was glad to see more character development on the daughter too (DJ played by Kaitlin Olson). She's always been good on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. What a crazy run for that show. They're still going! Wow.

Paul W. Downs as Jimmy, Deborah and Ava's manager

Hacks is an American comedy-drama streaming television series created by Paul W. Downs, Lucia Aniello and Jen Statsky that premiered on May 13, 2021 on HBO Max. It stars Jean Smart, Hannah Einbinder, and Carl Clemons-Hopkins.

It's Always Sunny -

The series' fourteenth season concluded in November 2019. The series was renewed for a fifteenth season in May 2020, making it the longest-running live-action comedy series in American television history, replacing The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, which ran for 14 seasons between 1952 to 1966.[4] In December 2020, the series was renewed for a total of four additional seasons, bringing it to season 18.[5]

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

Definitely a clever show ... and well-written. We're picking up on episode 5 next week.

The actress Jean Smart played Winslet's mom on the recent season of Mare of Easttown that's discussed in this current thread.

Here she is (also great) in season 2 of Fargo. She joins the scene just after the 01:15 mark ...

Floyd Gerhardt is a fictional character in the second season of the FX television series Fargo and is portrayed by Jean Smart. Smart received widespread critical acclaim for her performance, winning the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Movie/Miniseries and was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie.[1][2]

I remember her from Fargo. I was watching Mare of Easttown after The Nevers but I'd end up dozing off or on the phone with my drunken brother in Tennessee and be distracted. :lol:

I'll have to go back and rewatch after reading the exchange btw you and PH.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I remember her from Fargo. I was watching Mare of Easttown after The Nevers but I'd end up dozing off or on the phone with my drunken brother in Tennessee and be distracted. :lol:

I'll have to go back and rewatch after reading the exchange btw you and PH.

:cheers:

As soon as I saw her on Mare, I was like - "that's the mom from Fargo" ... and saw the trailer for Hacks, and was like - "yeah, I'm in ... "

Let us know how you like Mare as well. @ViCiouS dug the show too.

Lol @ your brother ... he sounds like good people.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Yo Jean Smart is a damn mission

She focused as hell

Watchmen, Mare, Hacks. FARGO

Who has had a better run recently?

Designing Women to damn near a hall of fame run in the past 3 years?

Salute to her....

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Yo Jean Smart is a damn mission

She focused as hell

Watchmen, Mare, Hacks. FARGO

Who has had a better run recently?

Designing Women to damn near a hall of fame run in the past 3 years?

Salute to her....

Love seeing older talent doing it right & picking good roles to show off their chops. She turns 70 later this year. Her husband's smiling down on her, no doubt. He passed 3 months ago.

Smart was married to actor Richard Gilliland, whom she met while working on the set of Designing Women (he played J.D. Shackelford, the boyfriend of Annie Potts's character, Mary Jo Shively). They had a son, Connor Douglas (born 1989),[2] and a daughter, Bonnie Kathleen (adopted as a baby from China in May 2009). Gilliland played Captain Stan Cotter on 24 while Smart later played First Lady Martha Logan on the same series. Gilliland died in March 2021.[36][37]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
crop-2585858-1.jpg

Richard-Gilliland-Designing-Women-Actor-And-Husband-Of-Jean-Smart-Dies-At-71.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Love seeing older talent doing it right & picking good roles to show off their chops. She turns 70 later this year. Her husband's smiling down on her, no doubt. He passed 3 months ago.

Smart was married to actor Richard Gilliland, whom she met while working on the set of Designing Women (he played J.D. Shackelford, the boyfriend of Annie Potts's character, Mary Jo Shively). They had a son, Connor Douglas (born 1989),[2] and a daughter, Bonnie Kathleen (adopted as a baby from China in May 2009). Gilliland played Captain Stan Cotter on 24 while Smart later played First Lady Martha Logan on the same series. Gilliland died in March 2021.[36][37]

Damn how I missed that RIP

That man was a prolific respected tv character actor since BEFORE I WAS BORN!

last year was so filled with death so many people just got lost.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Damn how I missed that RIP

That man was a prolific respected tv character actor since BEFORE I WAS BORN!

last year was so filled with death so many people just got lost.

Yeah - I just happened across it recently when checking her Wikipedia. I wasn't familiar with her earlier work, and first saw her on Fargo.

Condolences to her & their family.

2020 and 2021 has definitely been a blur for the world at large.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

Designing Women felt like The Golden Girls before they retired to FL. Jean was good on that show too. :lol:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
So how exactly do you all binge?

You can sit and watch 10 hours no break?

Is one genre easier to binge than another?

The last show I had the easiest time binge straight thru no interruptions was that zombie series on Netflix last summer.

Mare was easy too.

But it's been now years and I still can't get thru iron fist.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
So how exactly do you all binge?

You can sit and watch 10 hours no break?

Is one genre easier to binge than another?

The last show I had the easiest time binge straight thru no interruptions was that zombie series on Netflix last summer.

Mare was easy too.

But it's been now years and I still can't get thru iron fist.

That's a good question. One of my coworkers will just focus on 1 series and hammer it out in short order. Then note they've got a bunch of stuff saved up on the DVR that is too overwhelming. Their weekly major network shows, etc.

What we usually do personally is have 3 - 4 shows in the rotation, and slowly chip away at them. Recently it's been shows like Peaky Blinders, Goliath, City on a Hill, Godfather of Harlem, Mare of Easttown, The Righteous Gemstones, The Serpent, Hacks, etc. Prior to that it was stuff like Survivor, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul.

So for Peaky Blinders ... knowing we had NOT seen any of it ... it was 5 seasons at 6 episodes. 30 episodes total. At 1 a week (sometimes 2) it took us about 6 months. With a show like Hacks currently ... the episodes are only around 30 mins, so you can quickly do 2 of them.

Usually watch them midweek.

Haven't watched Goliath in months ... so have to go back and refresh / revisit that one.

Whereas had some time off last December (and wasn't on holiday given the pandemic) - so had time to catch up on popular shows like The Queen's Gambit, The Flight Attendant, The Undoing ... as I was hearing about them on forums & the podcast / critics' review podcasts.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That's a good question. One of my coworkers will just focus on 1 series and hammer it out in short order. Then note they've got a bunch of stuff saved up on the DVR that is too overwhelming. Their weekly major network shows, etc.

What we usually do personally is have 3 - 4 shows in the rotation, and slowly chip away at them. Recently it's been shows like Peaky Blinders, Goliath, City on a Hill, Godfather of Harlem, Mare of Easttown, The Righteous Gemstones, The Serpent, Hacks, etc. Prior to that it was stuff like Survivor, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul.

So for Peaky Blinders ... knowing we had NOT seen any of it ... it was 5 seasons at 6 episodes. 30 episodes total. At 1 a week (sometimes 2) it took us about 6 months. With a show like Hacks currently ... the episodes are only around 30 mins, so you can quickly do 2 of them.

Usually watch them midweek.

Haven't watched Goliath in months ... so have to go back and refresh / revisit that one.

Whereas had some time off last December (and wasn't on holiday given the pandemic) - so had time to catch up on popular shows like The Queen's Gambit, The Flight Attendant, The Undoing ... as I was hearing about them on forums & the podcast / critics' review podcasts.

I like this

A lot

Appreciate you.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

Damn! What were the numbers on Jupiter's Legacy for Netflix to pull the plug so quickly? :dunno:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I like this

A lot

Appreciate you.

Thanks Playa.

Yeah - it's a bit of a system, lol. In the past when more MOVIES were being released, it was challenging as you'd forever be pushing back series to see those instead. Now ... it's more trying to keep up with the series (as there's too many). Black Summer season 2 later this month should be good. It has a shorter running time compared to the same genre (The Walking Dead) which has more episodes & longer running times, plus a mid-season break for a few months. Netflix releases Black Summer as a season ... quick to get through.

Also, last December with those shows like Queen's Gambit, Undoing, and Flight Attendant ... knew they were popular and would get lost in the shuffle ... so chipped away at those, usually 2 at a time ... when relaxing at home in the shitty weather.

Oh ... also got through seasons 1 and 2 of Barry pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, they were only 8 episodes each with around 30 min running times. So basically each season was like watching 2 movies.

:cheers:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Damn! What were the numbers on Jupiter's Legacy for Netflix to pull the plug so quickly? :dunno:

Not sure. Maybe they were thinking long-term about the potential negative press and aggregate mixed scores / reviews. Maybe too costly?

Unsure - haven't seen the series.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Zehra Phelan
2 Minute Telly

June 2, 2021

Whilst its darkness resembles DC; it tries hard to run parallels with the divided world we live in today, the issue is should this type of entertainment remind us of the shit show of our own world

Full Review | Original Score: 3/5

Brad Newsome
Sydney Morning Herald

June 1, 2021

Jupiter's Legacy is a big addition, arriving on the screen with suitably earth-shaking action, bloody imagination and colourful heroes and villains, before revealing itself as a dark, emotionally racked family drama.

Full Review | Original Score: 3.5/5

Fico Cangiano
CineXpress

May 25, 2021

An entertaining mix of all that's cool and frustrating from the superhero genre. Part Heroes, Watchmen, The Boys, Arrow and even King Kong. [Full review in Spanish]

Full Review | Original Score: 2.5/5

Kaleena Rivera
Pajiba

May 25, 2021

Jupiter's Legacy is enough of a mess that I can't recommend it to anyone in good faith.

Full Review

Prahlad Srihari
Firstpost

May 22, 2021

Daddy issues and moral imperatives abound in this ideologically vacuous superhero series.

Full Review

Jackie K. Cooper
jackiekcooper.com

May 21, 2021

The more episodes you watch the better it gets.

Full Review | Original Score: 6/10

Dorian Rosenburg
The Young Folks

May 20, 2021

Jupiter's Legacy presents all the promise in the world, then falls short of a cohesive storyline that actually makes sense in the end.

Full Review | Original Score: 5/10

Marty Brown
Common Sense Media

May 18, 2021

Following in the footsteps of Watchmen and The Boys, which invent new worlds and characters based on Marvel and DC archetypes, this newcomer tries -- and fails -- to spur a philosophical conversation.

Full Review | Original Score: 2/5

Rendy Jones
Rendy Reviews

May 14, 2021

Oh, to be that sad soul that debuts their adult superhero series right after Invincible.

Full Review

Jonathan Roberts
The New Paper (Singapore)

May 14, 2021

If Jupiter's Legacy is to defeat the enemy that is the dreaded second season axe of Netflix, there is a lot of work to do.

Full Review | Original Score: 2.5/5

Emma Stefansky
Thrillist

May 14, 2021

The show doesn't have the manic, meanie flow that makes Amazon Prime's The Boys such an engaging watch, or the bracing absurdity of HBO Max's Doom Patrol, but it pays respect to its origins while trying to figure out what it wants to be next.

Full Review

Shah Shahid
Comic Years

May 11, 2021

Jupiter's Legacy is an in-depth exploration of superhero elements that have rarely been discussed in this manner.

Full Review

Alexis Nedd
Mashable

May 10, 2021

It is impossible to overstate how much momentum the flashbacks, which again are fully half of each episode, remove from the main narrative

Full Review

Melanie McFarland
Salon.com

May 10, 2021

Despite employing a conceit that is by now the clone of a clone's corpse, plenty of folks will ignore that base note's stank and see it through. It's only eight episodes, right?

Full Review

Alan Sepinwall
Rolling Stone

May 10, 2021

Utopian is a very poor imitation Superman, and superhero fans eager for more and more capes-and-cowls content will find Jupiter's Legacy similarly lacking.

Full Review | Original Score: 1/5

Emmanuel Báez
Cinéfiloz

May 10, 2021

Doesn't offer anything new in the mythology of heroes with superhuman abilities. [Full review in Spanish]

Full Review | Original Score: 2/5

Joe Lipsett
Queer.Horror.Movies.

May 9, 2021

The series delights in wasting time on plot lines that it can't be bothered to follow through, or even explain why it's so important.

Full Review | Original Score: C-

Daniel Hart
Ready Steady Cut

May 8, 2021

Jupiter's Legacy eases the story to the viewers gracefully, without dousing them with a plethora of exposition - this is a sensible yet satisfying superhero story.

Full Review | Original Score: 3.5/5

Martin Carr
Flickering Myth

May 8, 2021

This is landmark stuff. Mixing dysfunctional family dynamics with enhanced human protagonists, Jupiter's Legacy takes a big swing and connects with full force.

Full Review

Norman Wilner
NOW Toronto

May 8, 2021

Yes, it's taken directly from the comics; the way the show lays it out, it's impossibly muddled.

Full Review | Original Score: 3/5

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Been trying to finish Doom Patrol...

That is some off the wall sh*t

The girl who plays Jane is brilliant

Diane Guerrero (born July 21, 1986)[1][2] is an American actress and author. She is known for her roles as inmate Maritza Ramos on the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black and Lina on Jane the Virgin. Guerrero grew up in Boston and remained there after the rest of her family were deported to Colombia. She is an advocate for immigration reform. Her role on Orange Is the New Black has contributed to three consecutive wins for the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series. Guerrero is the author of In the Country We Love: My Family Divided, a memoir about her parents being detained and deported when she was fourteen. She currently stars as Crazy Jane in the DC Universe action-drama series Doom Patrol.