Grace Jones : "I don’t come from uneducated slaves. I’m from Jamaica, I speak French, my ancestors were never slaves."

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
@KingTaharqa :hmm:

Conan the Destroyer: Grace Jones vs Wilt Chamberlain

(From Arnold Schwarzenegger's bio)

Bombaata was [Wilt] Chamberlain’s first movie role.
[....]

On the [basketball ] court, from 1959 to 1973, he was so powerful and competitive that no one could push him out of the way, and I saw his athleticism in his sword fighting.

But the most interesting fighting took place between him and Grace Jones.

She played a bandit warrior named Zula whose weapon is a fighting stick—with which Grace put two stunt men in the hospital by accident in fight scenes.

I knew her from the Andy Warhol crowd in New York: a six-foot-tall model, performance artist, and music star who could be really fierce.

She spent eighteen months training for this shoot.

She and Chamberlain kept getting into arguments in the makeup trailer about who was really black.

He would refer to her as an African-American, and Grace, born and raised in Jamaica, would just explode.

“I’m not African-American, so don’t you call me that!” she’d yell.

Wilt’s and Grace’s arguments were wild. I couldn’t figure out their hostility, but it was there.

“I’m not like you,” she would tell him. “I don’t come from uneducated slaves. I’m from Jamaica, I speak French, my ancestors were never slaves.”

The N-word was thrown around, which shocked me.

Wilt would be saying, “There’s nothing black about me. Don’t give me this crap! I live in Beverly Hills with the white guys, I fuck only white women, I drive the same cars as the white guys, I have money like white guys. So fuck you, you’re the ******.”

At one point I intervened. “Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, guys! Guys, please, this is a makeup trailer; let’s not have those arguments. See, the makeup trailer is supposed to be all about a soothing atmosphere, because you’re getting ready for the scene. So let’s not get agitated here.

Furthermore, have you looked at yourselves in the mirror lately? Because how could you argue you’re not black? I mean, both of you are black!”

And they said, “No, no, you don’t understand, it’s got nothing to do with the color. It’s the attitude, it’s the background.”

The points they made got very, very complicated. They were not really talking about color, they were talking about how different ethnic groups came to America.

There was something comical about seeing two black people accusing each other of being black. We laughed about it later, at the wrap party, and Grace and Wilt got along really well in the end.
They’re both very talented, entertaining people. This was just an argument they had to have.

'Total Recall' by Arnold Schwarzenegger

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If true.... but its black people who come from uneducated slaves who think this way so what can be said about em?their the same ones who shout and hollar when they get treated like a and it falls on deaf ears cause your just you remember ....stick to your script even if you die before the movie starts

God's Gift

The best of the majority of you niggas.
BGOL Investor
As long as neither side of the stupid ass disagreement remains prideful, the prize of power will remain out of our grip.

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
If true.... but its black people who come from uneducated slaves who think this way so what can be said about em?their the same ones who shout and hollar when they get treated like a and it falls on deaf ears cause your just you remember ....stick to your script even if you die before the movie starts

tenor.gif

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

[....]

On the [basketball ] court, from 1959 to 1973, he was so powerful and competitive that no one could push him out of the way, and I saw his athleticism in his sword fighting.

She played a bandit warrior named Zula whose weapon is a fighting stick—with which Grace put two stunt men in the hospital by accident in fight scenes.

I knew her from the Andy Warhol crowd in New York: a six-foot-tall model, performance artist, and music star who could be really fierce.

She and Chamberlain kept getting into arguments in the makeup trailer about who was really black.

He would refer to her as an African-American, and Grace, born and raised in Jamaica, would just explode.

Wilt’s and Grace’s arguments were wild. I couldn’t figure out their hostility, but it was there.

“I’m not like you,” she would tell him. “I don’t come from uneducated slaves. I’m from Jamaica, I speak French, my ancestors were never slaves.”

Wilt would be saying, “There’s nothing black about me. Don’t give me this crap! I live in Beverly Hills with the white guys, I fuck only white women, I drive the same cars as the white guys, I have money like white guys. So fuck you, you’re the ******.”

At one point I intervened. “Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, guys! Guys, please, this is a makeup trailer; let’s not have those arguments. See, the makeup trailer is supposed to be all about a soothing atmosphere, because you’re getting ready for the scene. So let’s not get agitated here.

Furthermore, have you looked at yourselves in the mirror lately? Because how could you argue you’re not black? I mean, both of you are black!”

And they said, “No, no, you don’t understand, it’s got nothing to do with the color. It’s the attitude, it’s the background.”

The points they made got very, very complicated. They were not really talking about color, they were talking about how different ethnic groups came to America.

There was something comical about seeing two black people accusing each other of being black. We laughed about it later, at the wrap party, and Grace and Wilt got along really well in the end.
They’re both very talented, entertaining people. This was just an argument they had to have.

“A Negro and by Consequence an Alien” - The legacy of Legal Race Making.
Legal race making became a distinctive feature of Atlantic slave societies, reducing Africans and their descendants to “negroes,” “negros,” “nègres,” or “noirs,” subjects without history, honor, or genealogy. Blackness obliterated and flattened a multitude of cultures, languages, histories, and experiences into a single legally defined, socially constituted category of degradation.7 Across linguistic and imperial barriers, the law constituted “blacks” as social outcasts, conflating their social existence with enslavement. Legal prohibitions that applied to “all black men and women, free or enslaved,” or defined certain actions by “any black or mulatto” against “whites” as a crime, made blackness, rather than enslavement, the mark of degradation.

did you see my reply to your post?

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
I read this several times and have no idea what you are trying to get at.
Come again?

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
“so-called black”

they knew what that meant. The sheep still following behind the CIA (James Brown and Jesse Jackson) when it comes to labels.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think the term "African American" was even a thing yet in '82. :dunno:
I don't doubt they probably both said some coonish shit, but I can't believe his story for certain because he's throwing out phrases that didn't exist at the time.
Is black a nationality? Or race? What about white? Because there are people classified as “white” with dark brown skin complexions. Charlize Theron is African-American and is “whiter” than snow.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not quite sure of what's the point of posting a damn near 40 year old "racial argument" between these two Black people is?
- To cast negative light on Grace Jones?
- To expose the racial mindset of Wilt Chamberlain?
:confused:

Seriously; even back then, neither Wilt nor Grace were ever viewed as shining examples of Black militancy or Black intelligence.
We weren't looking at either of them for Black leadership, for Black strategy or for their mental fortitude.
Facts:
- Wilt was an exceptional sports icon who preferred White women.
- Grace was a beautiful, exotic model & singer who preferred White men.
:dunno:

None of this changes the fact that in the end; Conan The Destroyer was a wonderful, entertaining film and both Grace and Wilt did fine jobs portraying the characters they played.
0d3647173cc2db3b8f8c4e8eded4dcad.jpg
arnold-young-conan.jpg

And why exactly should I even care about any of this after all these years? :yawn:

Last edited:

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

[....]

dumb ass nigg!hz who dont come from anywhere.... dont have fsmily that doesnt originate outside of the us has no ides what this shit is like....

black people think having brown skin makes you black.... & it doesnt.

im not black..... never have been.

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is black a nationality? Or race? What about white? Because there are people classified as “white” with dark brown skin complexions. Charlize Theron is African-American and is “whiter” than snow.
Charlize Theron is not African-American.
Born and raised in South Africa with Dutch, French and German ancestry.

comment101

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I correct people all the time. I'm not African American at all. I'm African. My ancestors were never enslaved. I don't necessarily identity with African Americans here in the U.S but at the same time, i don't think i'm better than African American. We're just not the same. African American's came from us.

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
I correct people all the time. I'm not African American at all. I'm African. My ancestors were never enslaved. I don't necessarily identity with African Americans here in the U.S but at the same time, i don't think i'm better than African American. We're just not the same. African American's came from us.

Are you black?

Reactions: BKF

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Us who? And do you live in Africa?

comment101

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Us who? And do you live in Africa?

Obviously i don't live in Africa. My entire family is a mixture of Senegalese and Nigeria immigrants. The only African Americans in my family are either husbands, wives , girlfriends or boyfriends of my immediate of extended family.

Last edited:

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
Yes, of course i'm black. I'm just not African American. Let's be clear, African Americans are a mixture of white and black.

African Americans are not a mixture of white and black.

As long as you are not part of the "Im not black, Im whatever else" crowd.

No we not all the exact same and we dont all have to identify with each other, but way too much is made of those divisions. Its ok that Im born in Haiti, another born in the US, another in Jamaica... We roll together on things we have in common and its ok that we dont have everything in common.

comment101

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So if we re in the car together and the cop pulls us over whose ass is he going to beat first?

Being African is a semantic difference. I'm not saying that the world sees us differently nor am i saying that i'm better than you. Same way there's a difference between Spaniards and derivatives of them in Puerto Rico etc. African American's are a derivative of Africans.

comment101

Rising Star
Platinum Member
African Americans are not a mixture of white and black.

As long as you are not part of the "Im not black, Im whatever else" crowd.

No we not all the exact same and we dont all have to identify with each other, but way too much is made of those divisions. Its ok that Im born in Haiti, another born in the US, another in Jamaica... We roll together on things we have in common and its ok that we dont have everything in common.

You said it better than i did. My point exactly. We're not the same but we all have strong similarities.

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
6a22bd1f132b83660b57748c22f5dd42.jpg