Anyone investing heavily this year??

How much money did you lose/gain this past week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am a long term holder... not looking for quick cash like I did with Bitcoin smh... I have $40k in etfs that is still growing and I dont plan to touch for a few years. I make reoccurring investments automatically from my bank on those ETFs ... I like the safety of not putting all my eggs in one basket with my single stocks... I own 25 shares of most of my single stocks with a goal of 100 shares depending on when dips occur... I am basically creating my own ETFs smh.. I’m holding for years on ETFs and single stocks... only selling when shit hits the fan... never chasing stocks or money... my bitcoin loss was a wise lesson...

I remember coming on bgol upset after I lost $8k in Bitcoin and a member told me to brush it off and take it as a learning experience. He told me not to give up on investing and how he took bigger losses and he’s a lot richer now because he didn’t let his loss stop his investing.. that shit resonated with me.. Bgol got some big bros on here for real
I lost a comma in the market in 2019, made 2 commas in 2020. It happens. But as @Rudey says, best to start small if you are just starting off. Eventually you will learn enough to be dangerous, which is basically access to capital and information. It doesn’t take long to become a billionaire anymore.

Bad Andy

No time for a 304
Registered
Chris is fantastic and nothing in my post suggests he shouldn't be a resource. But if you ever want to grow as a trader then learning how to evaluate companies and the market on your own is essential.

If Chris disappears tomorrow then what?
Very true, I found myself in $XPEV befor Chris Sain ever made a video about it. I have a homeboy heavy into the stock market that I also get some tips from. This thread also helps but at the end of the day my own research and choices are what I rely on.
I lost a comma in the market in 2019, made 2 commas in 2020. It happens. But as @Rudey says, best to start small if you are just starting off. Eventually you will learn enough to be dangerous, which is basically access to capital and information. It doesn’t take long to become a billionaire anymore.

The learning curve is definitely easier with all the advantages we have now. I could imaging trying to do this with no smartphones, youtube or message boards.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Excellent! Now challenge yourself to learn why those companies have blown up? What’s the expectation for them in 2021, and finally what other companies in that sector or another( always recommend diversification) will likely make gains or take losses in the next few weeks/months?

Yep, PLUG and FCEL are into fuel cells. Bio Energy, Natrual Gas ( Tesla, EVs, Batterie techs, Energy) So the emergence of EVS is helping to drive up the stocks. PLUG for me is longterm, Like Tesla. They may dip but they won't bottom out ever. Long read (Colin warning but good insight)

FuelCell Energy’s Got a $1.5 Billion Problem (yahoo.com)

Will Ashworth
Fri, January 15, 2021, 8:09 AM·5 min read

I recently suggested that if you could only invest in one clean energy stockFuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL) or Plug Power (NASDAQ:PLUG) — I would go with PLUG over FCEL stock.

a picture of a fuel cell
Source: Kaca Skokanova/Shutterstock
That was before I even realized that Plug Power had snagged a $1.5 billion investment from SK Group, one of South Korea’s largest conglomerates.

A week on from Plug Power’s announcement, which saw PLUG jump 33% on the news, I don’t think there’s any question it’s the better buy.
InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading Tips
That said, FCEL stock has benefited from Plug Power’s good fortune. It’s up 43% since the Jan. 6 announcement.
If you’re thinking about riding FuelCell’s momentum, you might want to consider what Plug Power’s financial windfall means for both companies before jumping on the FCEL bandwagon.
FCEL Stock Is Up 591% Since Mid-November
In two months, owners of FCEL stock have the equivalent of an annualized return of 3,500%. I don’t think there’s any way to sugar coat this other than to say that buyers of its stock have done unbelievably well for such a short investment period.
While you’ll have to pay regular income-tax rates on your short-term capital gains if you were to sell at this point, you’ll still make out like a bandit. There’s no shame in taking profits.
You might also want to consider that Jefferies analyst Laurence Alexander initiated coverage of the provider of fuel cell solutions on Jan. 7 with a hold rating and an $11 target price.
“The ‘stars aligned for FuelCell Energy’ in 2020, given favorable policy shifts in favor of renewables and hydrogen production, progress on the company’s own growth pivot and ESG fund flows, Alexander tells investors,” The Fly.com reported.
“However, now the strong secular trends, ‘tighter operating culture’ and ‘war chest’ for longer-term growth appear largely discounted in the stock price, Alexander argues.”
InvestorPlace’s Matt McCall recently discussed the so-called war chest that Alexander wrote about in his FuelCell stock assessment. In December, FuelCell sold 25 million shares at just $6.50 per share, raising $162.50 million in the process.
More important than the company’s willingness to sell shares at $6.50, a 36% discount to its Nov. 30 share price, is the fact that Orion Energy Partners, who owned 5.9% of FCEL stock before the offering, were willing to sell down 84% of their position at the discounted price.
While it’s not unheard of for a company such as Orion, which lends and makes investments to the energy industry, to want to exit its position, to do so at such a discount ought to make you scratch your head a little.
Even more so now that FCEL is trading above $18 as I write this, up more than 15% on the day.
I would not be surprised if we were to experience an exhaustion gap in the second half of January.
Plug Power Has Stronger Backing
If Plug Power didn’t have a better roster of shareholders than FuelCell Energy before its announcement that SK Group was taking a 9.9% stake in the company, it certainly does now.
SK Group had revenue in 2019 of $119 billion, making it the 73rd largest company in the Fortune Global 500. In 2019, Plug Power had revenues of $230 million. Of SK Group’s total revenue, its energy and chemicals business accounts for almost half the conglomerate’s total.
The company is in the process of moving away from a reliance on fossil fuels.
“Mr. Chey has ordered a sweeping readjustment of SK’s portfolio to be completed within the next three years. This will include carving off carbon-intensive businesses and doubling down on the company’s multibillion-dollar bets across EVs, computer chips, biotechnology and renewable energy,” the Financial Times reported in November 2020.
“‘The era of competing for scale is now behind us . . . We want to be the best company in the ESG realm,’ Jang Dong-hyun, president of SK Holdings, which helps oversee SK’s 125 affiliates, told the Financial Times in an interview.”
This was before the Plug Power investment that will also see the two companies form a strategic joint-venture partnership to hydrogen fuel cell systems and hydrogen fueling stations to the Asian market.
As I stated in my latest article about Plug Power, it plans to hit $1 billion in revenue by 2024. With $2.1 billion in a backlog and SK Group in tow, I see the odds of success getting higher by the day.
This doesn’t even consider that Plug Power could soon have Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) and Walmart (NYSE:WMT) as shareholders and not just customers.
By comparison, FuelCell’s largest shareholders are CVI Holdings at 5.9%, BlackRock (NYSE:BLK) at 4.4%, and Lawrence I. Rosen at 3.7%.
I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather have Plug Power’s trio of shareholders backing up its share price than what FCEL brings to the table.
The Bottom Line
The latest deal with SK Group is proof that CEO Andy Marsh’s plans to grow Plug Power are working.
While both stocks are exceedingly expensive, PLUG is the growth stock you should opt for.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
No disrespect, but nothing wrong with what she said and we as so-called black men need to stop letting emotions lead us to make bad decisions. That is relegating behavior and we are better than the Neanderthals.

have absolutely no problem taking a racists money
I do it every day and every one knows "fintwits" and "techbros" lean right anyway
green is green

Its just disappointing

babydaddy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Very true, I found myself in $XPEV befor Chris Sain ever made a video about it. I have a homeboy heavy into the stock market that I also get some tips from. This thread also helps but at the end of the day my own research and choices are what I rely on.

The learning curve is definitely easier with all the advantages we have now. I could imaging trying to do this with no smartphones, youtube or message boards.
Would have to read the newspaper.

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

and some ppl are actually pissed that all these info and platforms are available because Black ppl can be millionaires and billionaires faster than you think.

Just look at the growth of Amazon and ask yourself how many $100s you wasted in 1997.
In May 1997, a $100 invested in Amazon would have worth at least $2.4M today.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
and some ppl are actually pissed that all these info and platforms are available because Black ppl can be millionaires and billionaires faster than you think.

Just look at the growth of Amazon and ask yourself how many $100s you wasted in 1997.

This is why I'm always fixated on what's next. Gotta plant these seeds and build my shit up...

"Proof of concept + ability to scale.."

Bad Andy

No time for a 304
Registered

It’s always in the back of my head that there is someone pissed off that black people are coming up off this free money. It’s like early this year when Trump gave Kodak that contract. It was just regular brews to me. Now that I have the little bit of knowledge I know what to do with those type of announcements. Best Believe I’m sharing this info with everyone I know that will listen. The ole man that works for me at my shop is already up 5k since he started his TD Ameritrade account mid December.

sickwidit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
APXT
GNOG
MAIN
CSWC
NIO
HYLN (SELLING SOON)
TTCF
T (at&t)
FCEL
AAL(SELLING SOON)
M(macys)
CCL
WFC
DBX
FUSE
ZOM(my sleeper)
NNDM
OBSV
BAC
WBA
UBER
BGS
SBE
BEEM
MVIS
EXPC(ark invest hopefully buys)
CCIV

Pick a goal (long term or short term, growth or dividends, sectors that you know about and have an interest in), pick 5 stocks and do some deep research on each. Trust me there is really no short cuts even if you hire someone to do it.
This....Otherwise you out here running your own mutual fund. I found i did waaay better when i narrowed my focus to less than 10.

sickwidit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No disrespect, but nothing wrong with what she said and we as so-called black men need to stop letting emotions lead us to make bad decisions. That is relegating behavior and we are better than the Neanderthals.
Its not what she said its that she appears to be co-signing Parler in her statement. Seems purposeful.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
I could imaging trying to do this with no smartphones, youtube or message boards

Bruh i said the same thing... i enjoy being able to look things up at the drop of a hat and find the information im looking for! Plus not pahing a commission to make a trade as well!!

By comparison, FuelCell’s largest shareholders are CVI Holdings at 5.9%, BlackRock (NYSE:BLK) at 4.4%, and Lawrence I. Rosen at 3.7%

Many times when im on the edge about a stock i go right to yahoo finance and look up the holders of a stock....

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
The research/homework part is so underrated. I know I’ve been super lazy in that regard. It’s a lot easier to hear Chris Sain say buy $FCEL and skip the research. But the research touches on an important component of your investing, which I touched on in a previous post. It helps to protect you “emotionally” from the ebs and flow of the market.

It’s easy to invest and stay a company when the ticker is in the green. It’s a lot harder to do when it’s red. This is where your research into that companies long term future makes you see red as a Christmas gift that cames early and prompts you to increase your position rather than taking a loss and run.

The research is what allows you to see opportunities with other companies that may not be doing well at the moment.

The research helps you to forecast the future. A Biden presidency during your pre-election research means clean energy is likely to benefit and allows you to take positions ahead of time. How’s the saying go? Without vision they parish!

#tradingeducation

The fundamentals and the research is what's keeping my angry ass in HLYN.
Somedays, I wanna run up in their office and start shooting all them mofos.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have to be better and more risky at this if I want bigger profits.
yeah ....with plays like INUVO, i got like 4,000 shares and spent like $2,300.
i wasnt expecting it to move like it has this morning. currently at 1.06....i've almost doubled my profits on that one.
if it gets close to $1.50.....then i've had a good day....and im done. i try not to get too greedy.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i got in around $6. secured 500 shares. i should have gotten more.
hindsight is always 20/20.....lol

Bruh....back on DEC 8th I bought a few hundred shares at $1.69 held for 10 days while it barely moved and ended up selling at $2.77.
I set my stop loss too damn high once it was trending up...didn't expect the price to dip that low at the time and trigger it.
Yeah I took a profit but left way too much on the table. I was just doing my emotionless routine of taking profits at +20%, forgetting the fact the new administration will be focusing on clean energy.

Ah well just another lesson for the future

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yeah ....with plays like INUVO, i got like 4,000 shares and spent like $2,300.
i wasnt expecting it to move like it has this morning. currently at 1.06....i've almost doubled my profits on that one.
if it gets close to $1.50.....then i've had a good day....and im done. i try not to get too greedy.
INUV making moves...... :money: