AMC/Regal/Cineworld Theaters may go bankrupt (CINEWORLD GOES DOWN!)

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That is an old person habit.
Young people separate their brands. They know the individuals brands intimately..
When they say "Google it". They mean Google they don't mean Bing.

Netflix has the advantage of being the first mover in the industry. They are also branded within the culture. For example, people will say, give me a Coke, but not necessarily wanting a Coke, but wanting some other soda. Netflix has this advantage. Their problem lies within subscribers and continuing to add new subscribers monthly. Unless they start bringing in some of the blockbuster releases, I am not sure they can maintain post-pandemic.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
I don’t know if it’s been discussed in this thread yet but theatres would prob do well to switch to the Alamo Drafthouse model where you can have some drinks or even rent the whole bitch out with friends for a reasonable price. With how good home systems have gotten they’ll have to create a boutique experience.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Speaking of 100 million, Amazon just bought Coming to America 2 for 120 million. Not surprising that a company run by Bezos sees opportunity where the dinos don't. Amazon ain't even charging to drop it on Prime.

Amazon is investing in cornering the market on data. Debo has entered the building. :lol: Fucked up when movies can be a side hustle to them.

The universe ain't playing nice with the dinos.
Stop saying Dino bro

That means dick

U confusing the fucc outta me when u type that

Go back to humanoids

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don’t know if it’s been discussed in this thread yet but theatres would prob do well to switch to the Alamo Drafthouse model where you can have some drinks or even rent the whole bitch out with friends for a reasonable price. With how good home systems have gotten they’ll have to create a boutique experience.

It’s has bro

Stick to Biden and Harris

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
Apple, Hulu and HBO Max are on their way OUT.

i dont think so
Hulu owned by Disney. They putting alot of their broadcast shows on their including newly acquired FX & material not suitable for Disney+. In addition Hulu has a hell of a tv library.

HBO Max is in a similar situation. It's owned by ATT&T and under the same corporate umbrella as WB. They have the brand name of HBO, Warner Bros library (including DC stuff) and other cable networks

I dont see ATT/HBO/Warner Brothers & Disney going anywhere so I dont see their streaming services going away. If anything with theme parks & movie theatres going down the drain they'll rely on the streaming services even more

Apple TV on the other hand makes very little sense. Apple doesnt produce content or own any content. They arent affiliated with any major studios (even CBS Access has Paramount, CBS & Viacom, Peacock has NBC & Universal channels). Apple has nothing other than a big checkbook. I dont know anyone in real life that fucks with Apple TV. But alot ppl i know fuck with Hulu & HBO Max heavy.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I dont care who they are own by. They aint making money.

i dont think so
Hulu owned by Disney. They putting alot of their broadcast shows on their including newly acquired FX & material not suitable for Disney+. In addition Hulu has a hell of a tv library.

HBO Max is in a similar situation. It's owned by ATT&T and under the same corporate umbrella as WB. They have the brand name of HBO, Warner Bros library (including DC stuff) and other cable networks

I dont see ATT/HBO/Warner Brothers & Disney going anywhere so I dont see their streaming services going away. If anything with theme parks & movie theatres going down the drain they'll rely on the streaming services even more

Apple TV on the other hand makes very little sense. Apple doesnt produce content or own any content. They arent affiliated with any major studios (even CBS Access has Paramount, CBS & Viacom, Peacock has NBC & Universal channels). Apple has nothing other than a big checkbook. I dont know anyone in real life that fucks with Apple TV. But alot ppl i know fuck with Hulu & HBO Max heavy.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
1) Who is gonna pay a 250-450 a month streaming bill to keep them all profitable?
2) People are gonna wake up and stop paying for all these services
3) I do not get your point about big budget movies. Studios make a big budget movie in order for it to be a blockbuster in movie theatres. They want people to pay $10-20 dollars to see it multiple times. You do see that if a blockbuster movie is released on streaming for $30 dollars then the studio lost the money they intended? Netflix is not paying 1 billions for that movie. Therefore studios will not make those kinds of movies because they do not make enough money. So your new action movies are gonna be Steven Segal or some Indian dude jumping over a rock.
Where you get $250 to $450 a month for streaming services I have Hulu, Disney+, Prime, Apple TV and Netflix and I’m only paying $44 a month.
Movie studios can adapt if they really want to but right now they are blinded by the past of making Billions of dollars off
movies but the virus and peoples finances have slowed people down from running back to theaters but instead turning to streaming services, Do we really know the true cost of any movie put out or just the numbers they give us?
Big budget does not always mean Blockbuster movies there have been many big budget movies that have completely bombed and on the other hand there have been many low budget and Independent movies that have became Blockbusters.

Last edited:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That is what corporations tell investors to keep them confident. Everyone care about net profit and growth.

Any organization that has a weak link is gonna tell that weak link to step up. The weak link can talk about potential growth only for a bit until the big boss starts cutting heads.

thats not what these corporations care about
they care about potential growth & subscriber numbers. thats all they talk about during their quarterly investment calls

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Apple TV, Netflix, Disney +, Hulu, Amazon Video, HBO Max - which one will survive?

They are not ALL going to be viable soon.

They are buying movies at a loss. Movie companies are selling at a loss.

There will not be enough money for quality action movies in the future.

When I say quality, I mean big budget action movies because those movies bring in the dollars.

Independent movies traditionally do not make money. They are not bread and butter.

James Bond Film ‘No Time to Die’ Explored $600 Million Sale to Streaming Services
netflix could cop and than charge $10 to see it online on some kinda premium stream.. they got 200 million subscribers if 33 percent of them pay that extra $10 they will make a profit

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Apple TV, Netflix, Disney +, Hulu, Amazon Video, HBO Max - which one will survive?

They are not ALL going to be viable soon.

They are buying movies at a loss. Movie companies are selling at a loss.

There will not be enough money for quality action movies in the future.

When I say quality, I mean big budget action movies because those movies bring in the dollars.

Independent movies traditionally do not make money. They are not bread and butter.
This only cost a million to make.. an action masterpiece.. if this only cost a million to make than Hollywood can easily make great blockbusters

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
This only cost a million to make.. an action masterpiece.. if this only cost a million to make than Hollywood can easily make great blockbusters

Is the actor's pay counted in the cost of making the film?

Having A list American actors would definitely drive the price up, or drive their pay down.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
MGM could sell the streaming rights, guaranteeing their profit on upfront costs. When this shit is over they release in movies and push seeing it on the big screen as it was meant to be. Anything moving forward is profit. Even if it's "just" another 100 million worldwide. Then dvd/Bluray release...then TV. Video game....so much money to be made still.

The theaters are gonna get their piece down the road, but it will be a much smaller piece than they are used to, if they are even solvent enough to ride out the storm.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Is the actor's pay counted in the cost of making the film?

Having A list American actors would definitely drive the price up, or drive their pay down.
Of course it is... the realization is you don’t need known actors to sell a great movie.. most people that saw this movie in America didn’t know who the fuck these guys name were but it didn’t stop them from enjoying the film.. it’s about execution over name brands... give me a great product fuck the name brand

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maybe you need to work for them then cause that is not what they will do and that is not going to happen. 66 million people aren’t going to pay for it. And 660 million is not profit. There is also marketing which might be another undisclosed millions.
netflix could cop and than charge $10 to see it online on some kinda premium stream.. they got 200 million subscribers if 33 percent of them pay that extra $10 they will make a profit

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
It's just us BGOL cats here. The barbershop. No need to bullshit. What's up to my NE Ohio people old enough to remember going to randall Park mall movies strapped. Still remember when they had to cut off Army of the Darkness. Tower City with the burner inside the coat pocket. Southgate. Who remember Valley View theater before it became damn near hood and a no-go unless early morning?

Want a nice experience at a NE theater? We learned to travel. It is what it is.

um... i don't remember none of that. is u talking aboujt magic johnson theater where all that happened at or the actual movie theater that use to be inside the mall? same with southgate i don't ever remember anything happening. i didn't hear about shit going down until the past 10 years.

nowadays it's usually silverspot, diamond cinemas out this way in mentor, or mayfield drive in

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
I was at the movies every weekend. The last movie I saw at the theater was either Bad Boys for Life or Sonic. Right before the covid shut downs.

And lol at moving seats. That shit is a gimmick. But it is considered a premium feature. With that said my subs move my whole house including my seats. Lol. And there are devices called butt kickers that people install on their seating in home theaters. But I don't NEED them due to my subs.

I am a movie buff. I love movies. I love theaters. And I did my best to simulate the theater experience at home. The only thing I'm missing is a giant screen. But that is made up for in picture quality.

still going to the movies. been 2 times in the last two weeks. they have this thing now where you can rent the entire theater at silverspot for 100 bucks. then you just pay the tickets for who's watching the movie and food. it's worth every penny to be up in there just you and whomever nobody else in there

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
still going to the movies. been 2 times in the last two weeks. they have this thing now where you can rent the entire theater at silverspot for 100 bucks. then you just pay the tickets for who's watching the movie and food. it's worth every penny to be up in there just you and whomever nobody else in there

yeah, i am not paying to rent out a theater to go see E.T. again. :lol:

and still risk getting covid. at worst i will die. at best i will have a pre-exisiting condition in my medical records for the remainder of my life.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
um... i don't remember none of that. is u talking aboujt magic johnson theater where all that happened at or the actual movie theater that use to be inside the mall? same with southgate i don't ever remember anything happening. i didn't hear about shit going down until the past 10 years.

nowadays it's usually silverspot, diamond cinemas out this way in mentor, or mayfield drive in
That was before Magic with the one inside the mall. It's been so long. I forgot how close it was to when the gangs had shutdown the mall and the fools actually interviewed a crip on the news. :lol: Usually, the suburbs were good at keeping shit off the news back then.

Valley view has had a few incidents that I know of. Probably been more.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Rent the spot and still gotta buy tickets? I could see buying concessions but give me a break

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster

I loved going to the movies. I had moviepass and amc A list
since the pandemic I've been once to see Tenet

I would still go (taking safety precautions) but the issue there is very little movies I want to see getting released
what were the 2 movies you saw?

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
I loved going to the movies. I had moviepass and amc A list
since the pandemic I've been once to see Tenet

I would still go (taking safety precautions) but the issue there is very little movies I want to see getting released
what were the 2 movies you saw?

tenet and new mutants

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Of course it is... the realization is you don’t need known actors to sell a great movie.. most people that saw this movie in America didn’t know who the fuck these guys name were but it didn’t stop them from enjoying the film.. it’s about execution over name brands... give me a great product fuck the name brand

Since they were in Indonesia, they were probably happy with the money that they were given. For western folks, if they were involved in a movie like that, they'd be demanding much more money to do another one. So the studios will constantly have to find very talented people on both sides of the camera that haven't blown up yet. That's possible, but it won't be easy.

Plus, the Raid Redemption model won't work for all genres. It'll be incredibly difficult to make a great low budget sci fi movie, or a movie with a CGI character like Thanos.

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
Rent the spot and still gotta buy tickets? I could see buying concessions but give me a break

the 100 bucks is just for the rental of the theater itself. you can bring in your own movie to pay or stream from your phone and it'll play on their projector or other means.

to watch a regular movie that's playing then you pay the ticket price per person.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Dude. This movie cost 1.1m and made 9.3m:boring:

That is not a blockbuster.

Essentially no one saw this movie.

Blockbusters spend 100million just to advertise it!
It came out in less than 30 movie theatres for like 3 weeks.. it was a foreign film that didn’t get full push in America.. I knew you was gonna talk about the profits and not the actual execution.. if this shit was called captain America : first assignment this shit would be a 9 to 10 fig profit movie.. why cause it had the marvel/Disney stamp 2 cause it would of been featured in over 3000 theatres.. who can actually say raid redemption was garbage, who here could say that this movie wasn’t better than shit like iron man 2 or 3 ? let this movie been any marvel or dc film and it would of been a blockbuster... hell this could of been called Bourne identity or James Bond and would of made a killing... 1.1 million produced an action pack flick that you claim only hundreds of millions of dollar budgets can produce.. it has more action scenes than most 9 fig flicks the only diff it didn’t get a huge release.. put any big name stamp on it and it would of sold... just like the movie watchmen would of made way more money now than it did over a decade ago..it came out the wrong era.. just like raid redemption wasn’t in enough theatres or got the big promotion

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Since they were in Indonesia, they were probably happy with the money that they were given. For western folks, if they were involved in a movie like that, they'd be demanding much more money to do another one. So the studios will constantly have to find very talented people on both sides of the camera that haven't blown up yet. That's possible, but it won't be easy.

Plus, the Raid Redemption model won't work for all genres. It'll be incredibly difficult to make a great low budget sci fi movie, or a movie with a CGI character like Thanos.
are you a fan of budgets or execution? If I gave you an expensive meal that taste like shit would you prefer it over a great tasting cheap meal? It’s obvious the people in the industry can make great movies for the cheap, yet they also make horrible big budget movies.. I prefer a great film on a low budget than a shitty expensive made flick.. if the industry has to pick only 1 option I would rather see a shitload of raid redemption than any transformers movie.. if Hollywood pushes for low budget greatness than do it Hollywood

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm becoming a big fan of animated movies, especially anime, cause they explore themes and use action sequences that would be uncomfortable for U.S. audiences as a live action film.

Saw one, the name escapes me, where the underlying message was that humanity will continue to divide based on race and class until united by a common threat: extinction.

And the death scenes were brutal.

Hollywood: stop with the Puritan City on a hill BS and give me realistic movies with big boy plots.