AMC/Regal/Cineworld Theaters may go bankrupt (CINEWORLD GOES DOWN!)

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Mfs in here crying about how they justify their prices. Really motherfuckers? :rolleyes2: You fags can pay $25 -$40 for a fucking $3 box of candy and a $1 bag of popcorn. It’s y’all dicksucking asses who made it this way! Man fuck them and and y’all!

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wait. Considerate. This the same Chicago that blaze up parks in broad daylight? Gas stations with kids all around. Corner stores. That will shoot up a daytime cookout in someone's yard? But all of a sudden, you cats respect theaters because kids around?

Ya'll the same cats who helped the 90s 'tough on crime' craze with how Yummy got did. Consideration? Is that a 2020 thing?
It is ok for be polite

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

Depends on the movie, it was more than that for Tenet, and in fact still is here.

Also stuff like Akira had a pretty good audience size. Empire had people too.

Movies are so spaced out, at least mine are it's funny people are so scared. Still I saw a couple wipe down their chair for safety. Meanwhile I'll drive by Cracker Barrell on Sunday morning and that joint will be packed. Like they said in the video I posted, bowling alleys are essential? Restaurants and churches have been linked to outbreaks. Movie theaters have a reputation, but you aren't catching Covid from that popcorn on the floor.

One of the main things is product, small budget movies like Kajillionare, Infidel and Shortcut would have had a problem attracting audiences regardless in a perfect movie climate.

Same with New Mutants and Tenet. Tenet didn't have good word of mouth. New Mutants should have been sent to Hulu, because it wasn't good.

When is the last time you went to a theater?

Your fuckin chair moves along with the action in movies?

Your TV at home is 1,000 feet and in IMAX?

I was at the movies every weekend. The last movie I saw at the theater was either Bad Boys for Life or Sonic. Right before the covid shut downs.

And lol at moving seats. That shit is a gimmick. But it is considered a premium feature. With that said my subs move my whole house including my seats. Lol. And there are devices called butt kickers that people install on their seating in home theaters. But I don't NEED them due to my subs.

I am a movie buff. I love movies. I love theaters. And I did my best to simulate the theater experience at home. The only thing I'm missing is a giant screen. But that is made up for in picture quality.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I was at the movies every weekend. The last movie I saw at the theater was either Bad Boys for Life or Sonic. Right before the covid shut downs.

And lol at moving seats. That shit is a gimmick. But it is considered a premium feature. With that said my subs move my whole house including my seats. Lol. And there are devices called butt kickers that people install on their seating in home theaters. But I don't NEED them due to my subs.

I am a movie buff. I love movies. I love theaters. And I did my best to simulate the theater experience at home. The only thing I'm missing is a giant screen. But that is made up for in picture quality.
Complex: but is there somebody to take your tix when you watch a movie..you can’t simulate that... (sobbing) maybe Argentina will send me some of their day old movie popcorn

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
AMC has Dolby Cinema. Hands down the best movie experience. Emagine in Michigan is a close second. Super premium theaters.

nothing like it..although I think Imax has a better picture..Dolby has a better overall experienc..tenet would have been great in Dolby..:oops:

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Home theaters have been caught up with standard theaters. They actually surpass standard theaters. That is why theater owners had to develop premium formats and seating.
I'm factoring in the population of folks who just have a 40" TV and maybe a sound bar, which is probably the majority of the country.
I have a decent home theater setup, but I've put work into it and I understand that most folks don't put that much time and money into their setups.
I think in due time, prices will continue coming down and most people will be able to have theater experiences in their homes.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Can you say nail in the coffin

‘The Batman’ pushed to 2022 as Warner Bros. shuffles film lineup

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/05/the-batman-pushed-to-2022-as-warner-bros-shuffles-film-lineup.html

On Monday, Warner Bros. re-positioned a number of hotly anticipated movies on its calendar including “Dune” and now “The Batman.”

Earlier Monday, Cineworld said it would temporarily shutter all of its U.S. and U.K. movie theaters due to disappointing box office results and the postponement of films like “Black Widow,” “Wonder Woman 1984,” and “No Time to Die.”
The move from Cineworld, which owns Regal Cinemas, means more than 7,000 movie screens will disappear for the foreseeable future. That loss has forced Warner Bros. to rethink its distribution strategy.
In addition to postponing “Dune,” the studio has moved its new “Matrix” film to December 2021, “The Batman” has moved into 2022 and “Black Adam” no longer has an official release date.
The postponement could be a boon for “The Batman,” which saw its production shut down after lead actor Robert Pattinson tested positive for the coronavirus in early September. The comic book movie had been delayed for months due to the pandemic and had only just restarted production when it was forced to pause for two weeks.
The film has resumed shooting in the U.K. and is expected to wrap by the end of the year.

The Cineworld closures and the changes in the film calendar led cinema stocks to crater on Monday. AMC fell more than 11%, Cinemark was down more than 17% and Marcus Theaters saw its shares slip more than 6%.
It is likely that more studios will push their films and that more cinemas will be forced to close or alter operations.
“If theaters are closed, the studios have a reason to delay,” Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush, said in an email to CNBC. “Keep in mind that the slowdown/stoppage of production from March – July impacted the 2021 slate, so these delays are back-filling holes created by a production stoppage.”
Changes to Warner Bros. film slate
  • “Dune” moves to Oct. 1, 2021
  • “Untitled Matrix Film” now dated Dec. 22, 21
  • “The Batman” slated for Mar. 4, 2022
  • “The Flash” pushed to Nov. 4, 2022
  • “Shazam! 2” will now arrive June, 2, 2023
  • “Black Adam” is now undated
  • “Minecraft” is also undated
I was so looking forward to DUNE :angry: :angry:

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
nothing like it..although I think Imax has a better picture..Dolby has a better overall experienc..tenet would have been great in Dolby..:oops:

IMO, IMAX has a bigger screen. But Dolby Cinema has better colors, contrast, depth and immersion. Dolby Vision is better format than IMAX when it comes to picture quality. IMAX's primary advantage is a much bigger screen. Home theater enthusiasts are able to get Dolby Vision televisions at home now. I have one and it is very nice.

Dolby Cinema projects better images with 500 times higher contrast ratio and four times more resolution than IMAX. On the other hand, IMAX uses 40% larger screens and a 26% taller aspect ratio as compared to Dolby Cinema.

FeatureDolby CinemaIMAX
Image Quality4 times the resolution of standard or digital format3 times the resolution of standard or digital format
Image Format2.40:1 aspect ratio1.90:1 aspect ratio
Audio64 audio channels12 audio channels
ComfortReclining chairs with more space and equipped with transducers.Comparable to normal seats that we see in theaters, just slightly more comfortable.
Availability197 Dolby Cinemas around the world.1500+ IMAX theaters around the world.
Film ProcessSolely for 2D films2D and 3D

Last edited:

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Standard movie theater screens are no comparison to Dolby Vision.

So what’s so special about Dolby Vision

dolby-vision-4-768x768.jpg

Dolby Vision is a proprietary, dynamic HDR format developed by Dolby Labs. By adjusting the picture on a scene-by-scene (and even frame-by-frame) basis, it lets you see more detail with better color accuracy. It is constantly making adjustments so that each image on the screen is optimized. But there’s more to it than that.

In addition to the ability for content creators to tweak picture settings at a highly granular level, Dolby Vision supports a much wider range of possible settings than the more conventional (and static) HDR10. For instance, HDR10 supports a maximum picture brightness of 1,000 nits for TVs. Dolby Vision can go much brighter — up to 10,000 nits.

The same is true for color accuracy. HDR10 lets content creators specify color using 10 bits of data, whereas Dolby Vision supports up to 12 bits. That spec might not seem like a big deal — after all, that’s only a difference of 2 bits — but it makes a huge difference. With 10 bits, you can pick from amongst 1,024 shades of each primary color, which gives you over a billion total possible colors. Again, that sounds huge until you realize that 12 bits give you 4,096 shades and a total of over 68 billion colors.

ilikebigbutts

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dolby cinema can also do 3D. They just don't run it in most cinemas because of sales. I know this because the last Star Wars was ran in 3D in select cinemas. Dolby can also have up to 128 audio channels, 64 is the minimum requirement. The aspect ratio isn't 2:40:1. The projectors apeture is around the same size as IMAX and letterboxed for 2:40:1 movies. I will stop there but the general outline of both formats is more or less correct.

Last edited:

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Dolby cinema can also do 3D. They just don't run it in most cinemas because of sales. I know this because the last Star Wars was ran in 3D in select cinemas. Dolby can also have up to 128 audio channels, 64 is the minimum requirement. The aspect ratio isn't 2:40:1. The projectors apeture is around the same size as IMAX and letterboxed for 2:40:1 movies. I will stop there but the general outline of both formats is more or less correct.

perhaps that article and graph need to be updated.

edit: i think you got the 64 channels and 128 objects manipulated mixed up.

article dated: 12 September 2019

Dolby Atmos works by positioning speakers throughout a hemispherical-like arrangement - including directly overhead - for a fully immersive sound experience. Unlike with a 5.1 or 7.1 surround - which offer five or seven surround speaker points with a single bass point - Atmos has potentially unlimited range, to a maximum of 64 speaker fields (at present).

Sounds aren't channelled together into groups but instead defined as individual objects which, as they fade speaker-to-speaker, give the impression of moving through space. So a jet flying overhead really does fly over you. Sound designers can manipulate up to 128 objects at once - not that they likely will in any one scene, but the creative potential is huge.

Part of an Atmos install involves intelligently positioning speakers. At the front is a video wall, behind the projection screen, to give a true frontal sound, without being able to see the speakers themselves. Such concealment is key for many of the other speakers as, psychologically, if you can't visually pinpoint a sound's source then it's more convincing and immersive.

ilikebigbutts

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It probably does but most people don't care about the full tech specs so its ok. The general outline gets the point across. Also not all IMAX auditoriums use 12 channel sound. Thats mainly used for laser IMAX locations. Most IMAX auditoriums still use 5.0 sound (the sub doesn't have its own channel, the bass is encoded in the left and right channels.)

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
If both theatres closed for good you think Hollywood gonna push bond back for a decade? You think Hollywood gonna retire and say that’s it since theatres are closed for good we no longer gonna make movies for now on? You think people will only be able to watch movies from 2019 and below for the rest of human existence? The sky is falling , Hollywood has officially stopped making movies forever no more new entertainment.. I thought there will be new movies I trustedddd youuu.. no nig the sky hasn’t fallen.. they don’t make all this home entertainment for nothing, there will be new movies made and they will be good.. there’s a bunch of movies that didnt have 200 million dollar budgets.. it’s called b4 2000.. got decades upon decades of great movies that didn’t break the bank that are classics.. you ain’t going on strike you will watch movies until the day you die.. whether them shits on tv, a tablet/laptop, or on your cell.. stop crying like a bitch and just accept change or are you gonna watch your vhs tape on your vcr or listen to your Sony Walkman that’s next to your converse all stars? Oops you prob have none of those cause time changes everything

Did you forget they're going to the movies in other countries that handled Covid better?

and you'll get a years worth of movies

and what after that....what....

and your examples are awful. Sony can go from building a walkman to a MP3 player to phones. You can't compare a tech company to the film industry. It makes up a major part of the economy of several cities and states.

a two trillion dollar industry is going to do what? You haven't stated anything, but named some obscure movie that had limited appeal to a niche audience that was cheap.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Did you forget they're going to the movies in other countries that handled Covid better?

and you'll get a years worth of movies

and what after that....what....

and your examples are awful. Sony can go from building a walkman to a MP3 player to phones. You can't compare a tech company to the film industry. It makes up a major part of the economy of several cities and states.

a two trillion dollar industry is going to do what? You haven't stated anything, but named some obscure movie that had limited appeal to a niche audience that was cheap.

theaters are just a venue for showing movies. the movie industry is not shut down. the theater industry is shut down.

and the sooner that movie studios understand that they are going to have to change how they sell and show films the better.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
theaters are just a venue for showing movies. the movie industry is not shut down. the theater industry is shut down.

and the sooner that movie studios understand that they are going to have to change how they sell and show films the better.

The movie industry has been shutdown and reduced due to Covid.

and theaters are how the movie industry get their money

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
The movie industry has been shutdown and reduced due to Covid.

and theaters are how the movie industry get their money

the movie industry is not shut down. like you said it has been reduced. many productions both film and television are back up and running once they establish a bubble to keep the entire cast and crew safe.

covid 19 is the main issue for the theater industry. covid 19 isn't going away in the next 2 years if ever. the movie industry can only kick the can down the road for so long. so the movie industry is going to have to evolve in how they sell movies.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
the movie industry is not shut down. like you said it has been reduced. many productions both film and television are back up and running once they establish a bubble to keep the entire cast and crew safe.

covid 19 is the main issue for the theater industry. covid 19 isn't going away in the next 2 years if ever. the movie industry can only kick the can down the road for so long. so the movie industry is going to have to evolve in how they sell movies.

Again, many movies and TV shows were shut down, canceled or kicked down the road due to Covid

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Well most TV series are starting back up, but my question is we know Regal Cinemas are shutting down AMC and Cinemark are going to try to thug it out even though they are facing bankruptcy in less than 6 months do these greedy ass studios really think pushing movies down the road over and over again is going to get them to the billion dollar pay days of old. How much longer do they think people will wait you had a movie that was a couple of weeks away from coming out just to hear is being pushed back a whole year. :smh: Greed is going to be the undoing of all this.

lengthy

Rising Star
OG Investor
one of the problems is that the movie industry is still trying to measure success by a massive turnout with the 1-3 week timeframe. by definition this means that the masses are saying fuck covid and packing the theaters.

this is retarded.

theaters are opening at 40% capacity. then you have people being cautious even though they still want to check the flick out. then you not gonna have the repeat visits like before. common sense will tell you that you cant use the same measuring stick.

theaters need to change their model cuz theres still millions of people who wanna check out the new movie on a massive screen with big sound instead of at home - which by the way they have to be now for work and school.

i dont have the answer but its clear that they are either too lazy or too impatient to make a solid change.

now is the perfect time for disruption - this is when the next netflix/uber will be born

Mr. Lengthy

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
one of the problems is that the movie industry is still trying to measure success by a massive turnout with the 1-3 week timeframe. by definition this means that the masses are saying fuck covid and packing the theaters.

this is retarded.

theaters are opening at 40% capacity. then you have people being cautious even though they still want to check the flick out. then you not gonna have the repeat visits like before. common sense will tell you that you cant use the same measuring stick.

theaters need to change their model cuz theres still millions of people who wanna check out the new movie on a massive screen with big sound instead of at home - which by the way they have to be now for work and school.

i dont have the answer but its clear that they are either too lazy or too impatient to make a solid change.

now is the perfect time for disruption - this is when the next netflix/uber will be born

Mr. Lengthy
Also will have to take people’s financially standing jobs have been lost, people losing their homes. Everyone will not have that extra money to go out to a theater but the greedy studios will blindly not take this into account.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Again, many movies and TV shows were shut down, canceled or kicked down the road due to Covid
My boy works in the hotel industry..1 of his floors in his hotels is dedicated for movie studios to have extras sit around at until they need them to be used.. I personally know for a fact somethings are being shot and made now cause that’s the reason why my boy started working again cause his job is literally setting up tables and chairs for diff rooms reserved for parties , meetings, presentations, movies, etc.. several studios in the past month needed my boy hotel to hold extras, have meetings, and host viewings.. so just from inside info I know for a fact there’s certain things that started or resume shooting.. by the way my boy makes 90,000 and up a yr setting up chairs and tables for hotels.. his spot is 1 of the most used for entertainment, biz, and political meetings.. so shit running when you think it’s not

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
then your main issue is with covid then. the movie industry will evolve and survive regardless.
Exactly.. like I said this goes back to my old saying when it comes to biz if you burn certain formats down people will just find a new format to deliver a product.. burn every restaurant down.. guess what nigs will just use food trucks, pull out grills/griddles/mobile stoves and cook sell food from them.. hell sell food from your kitchen.. the restaurant is not the only way.. same with the movie theatre..you burn them shits down..guess what a new format will be pushed.. online, demand, drive thru, viewing parties in auditorium, etc.. there’s always other avenues.. one dimensional people never comprehend versatility... the movie industry will.. most important thing in bizx is the consumer and the product.. if you have those two you will figure out how to connect them period.. this is an opportunity for somebody to create a new format to connect the two..one door closes another 1 opens

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Exactly.. like I said this goes back to my old saying when it comes to biz if you burn certain formats down people will just find a new format to deliver a product.. burn every restaurant down.. guess what nigs will just use food trucks, pull out grills/griddles/mobile stoves and cook sell food from them.. hell sell food from your kitchen.. the restaurant is not the only way.. same with the movie theatre..you burn them shits down..guess what a new format will be pushed.. online, demand, drive thru, viewing parties in auditorium, etc.. there’s always other avenues.. one dimensional people never comprehend versatility... the movie industry will.. most important thing in bizx is the consumer and the product.. if you have those two you will figure out how to connect them period.. this is an opportunity for somebody to create a new format to connect the two..one door closes another 1 opens
Evolve or Die

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
My boy works in the hotel industry..1 of his floors in his hotels is dedicated for movie studios to have extras sit around at until they need them to be used.. I personally know for a fact somethings are being shot and made now cause that’s the reason why my boy started working again cause his job is literally setting up tables and chairs for diff rooms reserved for parties , meetings, presentations, movies, etc.. several studios in the past month needed my boy hotel to hold extras, have meetings, and host viewings.. so just from inside info I know for a fact there’s certain things that started or resume shooting.. by the way my boy makes 90,000 and up a yr setting up chairs and tables for hotels.. his spot is 1 of the most used for entertainment, biz, and political meetings.. so shit running when you think it’s not

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Evolve or Die
They already evolved. Studios basically got the theaters bags packed, changed the locks, and have the divorce papers on the table. Studios been fucking with that side piece streaming. Studios just putting off the initial loss of divorce court. It's painful. But once that initial loss fades, they will be back on their feet and happier they don't have to split no more and get to keep all their shit.

COVID is just the event that accelerated the break up of a marriage that was already on the rocks.

Democrats about to be in control, so lawsuits will also be off the table. No protections in place for businesses. It's a fucking wrap domestically. Sooner they figure out the domestic streaming/international theater model, the quicker they can get back to making money.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They already evolved. Studios basically got the theaters bags packed, changed the locks, and have the divorce papers on the table. Studios been fucking with that side piece streaming. Studios just putting off the initial loss of divorce court. It's painful. But once that initial loss fades, they will be back on their feet and happier they don't have to split no more and get to keep all their shit.

COVID is just the event that accelerated the break up of a marriage that was already on the rocks.

Democrats about to be in control, so lawsuits will also be off the table. No protections in place for businesses. It's a fucking wrap domestically. Sooner they figure out the domestic streaming/international theater model, the quicker they can get back to making money.
Yeppp.. covid just pushed up the divorce date

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

Jesus fucking christ. That crazy bastard took 2 flights to go see Tenet. Cat sounding like complex. :eek: "Must see in 70mm Must have shaking seats!!" Foh. Ain't that serious to most people. Most just aren't videophiles or audiophiles.

While the dinos holding on to the stagecoach and horseshoe business, I'm trying to figure out the business model studios will use to work the domestic and international market. Perhaps 2 weekends(10 days) between international release and domestic streaming. Gives them more than enough time to get paid internationally before releasing domestic streams.

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
then your main issue is with covid then. the movie industry will evolve and survive regardless.
Problem is movie and television studios may have a problem raising money moving forward. No one want to shell out millions if there is certainly when a movie or TV show when there are better option to where to invest their money.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jesus fucking christ. That crazy bastard took 2 flights to go see Tenet. Cat sounding like complex. :eek: "Must see in 70mm Must have shaking seats!!" Foh. Ain't that serious to most people. Most just aren't videophiles or audiophiles.

While the dinos holding on to the stagecoach and horseshoe business, I'm trying to figure out the business model studios will use to work the domestic and international market. Perhaps 2 weekends(10 days) between international release and domestic streaming. Gives them more than enough time to get paid internationally before releasing domestic streams.

I would love to know how many people engage in so called piracy/illegal streaming in the U.S. alone.

I have had Tenet at home for at least a month now. Haven't even gotten around to watching it. Hell, it was probably in the BGOL movies section before that.

A simple YouTube search will garner step by step instructions on how to download apps like Cinema HD.

Every time I sit down at home with some popcorn and Pure Leaf Raspberry Tea I marvel at how this hasn't hit the mainstream.

People are still out there using Redbox. There's so much theater money yet to be made because people are just resistant to change.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
I dont think theatres are going anywhere because studios still need them to make bank on their major blockbusters
all the movies getting pushed back are the big budget tentpole films. A stuido cant spend half a bil to drop a film on On Demand.
They see Tenet has suffered and Disney aint dropping their other flicks on Disney+ after Mulan

what I do expect is that perhaps when we do get back to the new normal. Smaller, mid budget films might go straight to on demand or blockbusters might get released quicker but i dont see theatres going away. I see Amazon or Studios buying em first (similiar to how tv networks created Hulu originally) before letting movie theatres die.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
I dont think theatres are going anywhere because studios still need them to make bank on their major blockbusters
all the movies getting pushed back are the big budget tentpole films. A stuido cant spend half a bil to drop a film on On Demand.
They see Tenet has suffered and Disney aint dropping their other flicks on Disney+ after Mulan

what I do expect is that perhaps when we do get back to the new normal. Smaller, mid budget films might go straight to on demand or blockbusters might get released quicker but i dont see theatres going away. I see Amazon or Studios buying em first (similiar to how tv networks created Hulu originally) before letting movie theatres die.
I disagree You have to much bad things going on right now and u have a very tight economy and Covid. People are not spending unnecessary money in most cities right now