The Chi Discussion Thread

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Common must've been done with the show hence why they had Poppa's dad get these scenes now and Ronnie about to convert to christianity after converting to Islam last season

:lol: at Dre saying This nigga been to jail and he homeless to that sex offender cac

Lena having to slide that envelope of cash to Poppa's dad just to get that speech in

Kevin might need to get into a boxing gym the way he dropped ol boy with 1 punch

Ronnie eat out the trash from the back of Sonny's while playing vigilante

Darnell's never without that bluetooth earpiece

BAG

Cleveland D-T-W [216]
BGOL Investor
how is a tranny fuckin gangsta homo going to convince Jake a 15-16 yr old gangsta who came up under his older brother who was a certified gangsta and now adopted by a top-level millionaire gangsta who runs most of the city to leave Chicago with him just to eat ramen noodles and Fritos for dinner all over again???

how does that make any sense at all in the real world he didn't even grow up with him...........:fuckyousay:

Grand Verbalizer!!!

Rising Star
Platinum Member
No wonder Lena Waithe is gay cause she is one ugly ass woman.

What dude would want something that looks like her.

Lena-Waithe.jpg

Lena looks like one of the Cosby Kids!!!

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Damn man so they kill the only other straight girl off (fine ass sister too) in some bullshit abduction and Ronnie somehow some kind of way gets inserted in as a Ron O’Neal bootleg Shaft hood savior with Lena popping up to steal reps from other actors as a mayoral candidate? Outta nowhere? Like Ahhh! Man fuck this! And why the one lady keep coming in to Ronnie like that’s gonna help us absorb all the gay LGBT shit? Show has stooped low. Glad I get this shit for free off the internet now.

DEETZ181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jada gonna give the pussy up to anybody now it seems :yes:
How she going on a date with the Arab dude after he just bust in the room like that :confused:
Yeah, Jada just letting anybody fuck. She was about to give dusty ass Ronnie some ass before he fucked it up.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Yeah, Jada just letting anybody fuck. She was about to give dusty ass Ronnie some ass before he fucked it up.
and this is why the writing on this show sucks. who the hell agrees to go on a date with someone that just straight showed her no respect bu busting in the room like that and then downplayed it. She slept with the masseuse who probably also slept with Emmets girl. And the new chis trying to give Ronnie the ass, really? She that desparate?

Lou_Kayge

Rising Star
Registered
I do this too often vis-a-vis characters' ages,but the woman playing Ronnie's grandmother looks too young to be his grandma. Unless either a)Ronnie looks older than he is or B) his grandma was about 15 or 16 when she had his parent.

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
SHE GOT BAD MOJO

The Fall of Quibi: How Did a Starry $1.75 Billion Netflix Rival Crash So Fast?
5efe09b0e4728.jpg

Jeffrey Katzenberg’s short-form content platform has struggled to make an impact with bad reviews, lack of interest and legal issues swirling.

Jeffrey Katzenberg demonstrates Quibi's Turnstyle technology at Sundance 2020 in Park City, Utah. Photo by Daniel Boczarski / Getty Images for Quibi.
Nearly three months ago, in early April, the $1.75bn content experiment known as Quibi lurched from its rocky, much-maligned promotional campaign into full-scale launch. The service offered a tsunami of celebrity-fronted shows segmented into “quick bites” (hence, “qui-bi”) of 10 minutes or less – a Joe Jonas talkshow, a documentary on LeBron James’s I Promise school, a movie with Game of Thrones’s Sophie Turner surviving a plane crash, all straight to your phone. At the time, many of us wondered if Quibi could deliver on its central promise – to refashion the style of streaming into “snackable” bites – or if, teetering under the weight of its massive funding and true who’s who of talent as the world shut down, it would become shorthand for an expensive mistake.
The service, the brainchild of the DreamWorks Animation co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg and the former Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman – two billionaires deeply entrenched in the Hollywood and Silicon Valley establishment – was “either going to be a huge home run or a massive swing and a miss”, Michael Goodman, a media analyst with Strategy Analytics, told the Guardian. Given a string of bad news since its 6 April launch – missed targets, executive departures, Katzenberg singularly blaming the pandemic – and the sunset of its 90-day free trial with millions fewer subscribers than anticipated, the scales seemed decidedly tipped toward swing and miss. But while it’s too soon to declare the end of Quibi, it’s still worth asking: is the promise of the quick bite already over? And what went so wrong?
Since its launch, Quibi has been a battered by a slew of disappointing news. The app staggered early, falling out of the top 50 most downloaded within a week of its launch, and only attracted about 1.5 million active users by the end of May, according to the Wall Street Journal – a drop in the bucket compared to over 50 million subscribers drawn to Disney+, which launched in December 2019, and Netflix’s whopping 183 million global users (Quibi is only available in the US and Canada). Most of those users were on the service’s free trial, which ends this month (a Quibi subscription is $4.99 a month with ads and $7.99 a month without). The company anticipates landing just 2 million paying customers by the end of the year, less than 30% of its first-year target of 7.4 million subscribers.
The much smaller than anticipated subscriber base left the billion-dollar experiment cash-strapped; the Journal reported that Quibi was on track to have spent $1bn by the end of the third quarter of 2020 and though it raised an additional $750m earlier this year, would require another $200m of new funding by the second half of 2021 to stay afloat. Meanwhile, tentpole advertising partners such as Pepsi, Taco Bell, Anheuser-Busch and WalMart were seeking to renegotiate their agreements with Quibi based on pandemic hits to their business and Quibi’s less-than-promised viewership.
Meanwhile, several unflattering reports have depicted internal strife behind the scenes. The Wall Street Journal detailed longstanding friction in Katzenberg and Whitman’s working relationship. Its head of brand marketing, Megan Imbres, departed in April – another high-profile executive exit after the departures of the head of daily content Janice Min and Tim Connolly, the head of partnerships and advertising, last year. Staffers reportedly “seethed” at Reese Witherspoon’s $6m salary for voiceover work on six-minute episodes of the nature series Fierce Queens as Quibi’s poor performance threatened layoffs, according to Page Six. (Witherspoon’s husband Jim Toth is the head of talent and content acquisition at the company.) Quibi’s signature “Turnstyle” technology, which allowed content to flow from portrait view to landscape and back again seamlessly on your phone, is tied up in a patent lawsuit with a deep-pocketed hedge fund.
The bad press has filled a void of commentary on Quibi’s actual content, despite a slate of 50-plus original shows unveiled in its trial period, which the company itself seems to acknowledge: “see guys, we have a good show,” the Quibi account tweeted with a positive story about the Most Dangerous Game, a movie starring Liam Hemsworth broken into chapters – a tongue-in-cheek admission from a service whose inherent lack of shareability (the app did not allow screenshots, precluding memes) stifled potential good buzz.
Katzenberg has blamed Quibi’s struggles on the pandemic – and, to be fair, it did not help the rollout of a mobile-only service designed for the harried weekday’s interstitial moments and bannered with celebrity name power to launch at a time when Americans were quarantined with their TVs as celebrity culture burned. But to attribute all of Quibi’s issues to the pandemic is “fallacious”, said Daniel D’Addario, the chief television critic at Variety who reviewed Quibi’s debut slate of series. The content’s blanket strategy of celebrity – Witherspoon narrating a spot about cheetah female empowerment on Fierce Queens, Chrissy Teigen as Judge Judy in relationship court – was “uniquely poorly suited to this moment” he told the Guardian, but “the format would’ve always been a disaster”.
Notionally, Quibi endeavored to industrialize a new frontier of television: short-form narratives – that is, episodes of 15 minutes or less – at its shortest and most expansive. The concept is not entirely new to Hollywood – Netflix originals such as Special, Bondingand the sketch comedy series I Think You Should Leave, as well as Nick Hornby’s State of the Union on Sundance TV, zipped in 15-minute episodes – and has long been the staple of YouTubers and creators on short budgets (think Issa Rae’s YouTube mini-series The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, her precursor to the HBO series Insecure). But Quibi’s pitch was no less than redefining the unit of corporate Hollywood entertainment to the “quick bite”. “Five years from now, we want to come back on this stage and if we were successful, there will have been the era of movies, the era of television and the era of Quibi,” Katzenberg told a crowd at South by Southwest in 2019. “What Google is to search, Quibi will be to short-form video.”
But in practice, Quibi’s content felt less revolutionary than underbaked, slapdash concepts sledgehammering the viewer with abrupt hits of celebrity. The overarching theme was of “celebrity names without thinking through what they would be doing that is interesting or novel”, said D’Addario. Its chunked movies and unscripted offerings felt “undernourishing”, D’Addario added, and offered little marginal benefit to the free celebrity fare on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube or TikTok. Why pay for Quibi, when “if you want snackable Chrissy Teigen content, her social media provides that for you without this sort of hackneyed, first-thought courtroom set-up.”
The Quibi experience has been decidedly less than fresh thanks to numerous hurdles built into the service: first and foremost, the mobile-only limitation, which precluded viewing on a bigger screen and also the ability to text, scroll, or multi-task while watching the content pitched to our fractured attention spans. Quibi’s mobile-only imposition especially hampered the service as many Americans quarantined at home with the option of larger screens and ever-growing streaming services – Netflix and Hulu, obviously, as well as Disney+, Apple TV+ and the new HBO Max – to fill them.
Quibi’s business model assumed an endless appetite for entertainment until we die, but its mandates, short-form, mobile-only, paid subscription, subsumed the all-important choice from consumers used to frenetic, constantly refreshing and expanding amusement on demand and on phones with YouTube and TikTok, for free. “We’re in a world where the viewer expects to have control over the what, the when, the where, the how they’re going to watch content, and Quibi has taken a lot of that away from them,” said Goodman.
With the three-month trial ending, can Quibi turn the ship around? Goodman noted the service’s sometimes quality content as a point in its favor; D’Addario pointed to Quibi’s sillier, confectionary unscripted options – Dishmantled, a cooking competition hosted by Tituss Burgess, and queer culture competition Gayme Show – as promising ideas for an app that gets less risible the more it leans into unserious, unburdened fun.
Quibi’s saving grace may lie, ironically, in reneging on what was supposed to be its breakthrough: the streaming wars’ novel mobile-only, short-form service. Quibi has already indicated a move away from the mobile-only part, as the company is in talks with Amazon Fire and Roku to bring the app to TV. And Quibi could move away from the hard 10-minute caps, allowing viewers to segment the shows as they please and creators more wiggle room. Which means Quibi’s survival might not depend on becoming the new Netflix, but becoming Netflix – perhaps a tough pill to swallow for a service aiming to become its own verb for short viewing. “They’re learning that the decisions that they expected to hang their hat on are not the things that consumers want,” Goodman said. “It’s not a question of pandemic – it’s a question of: do consumers want it?”
Adrian Horton is arts writer for Guardian US.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So hold on let me get this straight......maybe I'm bugging but didn't Jake see a whole bunch of wild shit with Reg? I could be wrong here maybe Reg sheltered him but I seem to remember him seeing wild shit with Reg but he got freaked out to the point of running to his brother. Not a bad episode though for what the Chi has become though.

I don't know who's behind the writing this year but they are sacrificing their storytelling in honor of writing in some shitty characters.

GuessWho21212

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I won't spoil it, but Closed Captioning tipped off who has Keisha kidnapped and what's wild is that we've seen him before and never noticed. When they finally do the reveal, it's gonna be on some Keizer Soze Usual Suspects shit. I'd still like to see a little more mentorship between Emmett & Kevin, they've definitely let that fall by the wayside now that Brandon is gone. Also, the fact that Kevin has so much free reign to roam the streets while his sister is missing is totally unbelievable. Most parents keep their kids on a VERY short leash if one goes missing.

HeathCliff

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I won't spoil it, but Closed Captioning tipped off who has Keisha kidnapped and what's wild is that we've seen him before and never noticed. When they finally do the reveal, it's gonna be on some Keizer Soze Usual Suspects shit. I'd still like to see a little more mentorship between Emmett & Kevin, they've definitely let that fall by the wayside now that Brandon is gone. Also, the fact that Kevin has so much free reign to roam the streets while his sister is missing is totally unbelievable. Most parents keep their kids on a VERY short leash if one goes missing.
Closed captioning? I might rewatch the episode and do that.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shit gone ahead and tell me who did it then because I didn't even know it was a mystery . :lol: I thought it was just some random or new character. :lol:

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Did Jake really think Douda was just Otis Perry the pizza guy or something? very strange for him to just run to Trig like that

Ronnie got Keisha sense all of a sudden, able to distinguish the scream being from her while her mouth was being covered from who knows how far of a distance

How Keisha not use her track speed the 1 time she needed it most after she finally busted out the door, she even had the track fit already on to remind her

How Jada already meeting dude's parents/family and shit when they barely just went out for the 1st time

unknownsoldier

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man, she got the dyke wife the most masculine man on the show. Last week kinda killed it for me. Hate we couldn't get a glimpse of Kandi's fat ass this week. None of this shit is making sense. Why couldn't the detectives from last season be involved in the pursuit?? Shit is just wack now.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
spoil it, that ending was dumb. i thought it was the track coach she was initially seeing.
yep, on the bolded. i said that when he went looking for his sister in the other hood.

hocjo2626

Horace C. Jones II
Registered
The kidnapper name is OMARI. Im still trying to figure out who he is....

Omari Dresden played by actor Cedric Mays. I don't remember seeing him before. But he's credited in the following The Chi episodes

Omari Dresden

- A Stain (2020) ... Omari Dresden

- Woo Woo Woo (2020) ... Omari Dresden

- Terror Town (2020) ... Omari Dresden

- Gangway (2020) ... Omari Dresden

- Buss Down (2020) ... Omari Dresden

MaysCedric_288x375.jpg

EdTUE8rXYAM8uVe

Last edited: