ESPN writer says young NBA players are depressed being drafted to cities they dont want to live

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I get it... If I worked my ass off to be among the top % of my graduating class, and I got drafted to work in a city, for a corporation I didnt want... Id be pissed too. I honestly dont care enough to be mad about it because Im not in their position, but for the sake of conversation. Aside from "Its sports and its just how its done..." Why are people cool with this???

Because people have to negotiate where they live from where they eat all the time bruh....its part of life.

Some folks have to live far away from work so that their spouse can work 15 min from home or for their kids to be in a good school district...

meanwhile they may need to travel 15 minutes to a park and ride simply to spend 1 hour on the train just to get to work......rinse wash repeat.

Last edited:

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
Without a draft wouldn’t California and New York teams be the champs every year? There would be zero parody in the league and major markets would rule. Not saying changes can’t be made but it just feels like they’re bitching about being millionaires so here’s the worlds smallest violin playing just for these poor downtrodden NBA players lol

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
lol Cut the shit man. Boohoo to the 19 year old millionaire who gets play basketball for a living but not in the city he wants. Newsflash, your team sucks, you’ll be on vacation right after the season anyway while the real squads playing in May/June

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can't feel sorry for these dudes. Basketball players have less than a 5 percent chance of making it to the league. Not many people in the world get a chance to make millions of dollars doing what they love. Then no matter what profession one does they have to make a sacrifice. Anytime somebody makes good money there has to be a sacrifice ...this might be theirs. Make lemonade....get up on your hobbies,move your bum ass friends in so they can blow their money.

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
80% of the NBA already live in LA during the offseason, they either own property or rent in LA for the offseason but the Season is longer than the offseason. Like I said, who wants to spend that much time in cities they don't want to be in

I’d live in fucking Idaho 8 months out of the year if I got paid millions to play a game I love. These dudes soft. Depressed? FOH

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They could attempt to go to whatever team they want when their first initial contract is up... This argument kinda pointless

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting point raised in the title and this is true.

The main reason is not just location but for the lottery picks it is dealing with losing for the first time in their career.

If a player has started out his career losing every game in November, that is probably the most games that player has lost in his life combined if he came out as a freshman.

Throw in being an adult with way more money than you can count, with responsibilities that you’ve never had, and on top of that living in a place you likely never been, it ain’t easy.

That’s why pro athletes have one of the top 10 most stressful occupations in this country.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Per usual, you can tell who reads the article and who just responds with some nonsense.

People assuming this is all about being young, rich and living in a city that these brothers want to live in.

Yet still, every year, they have the opportunity to play for UCLA, USC, St. John's, University of Miami etc. But they choose schools based on the coaches, the program, other players etc.

The reality is, these teams can go through your history with a fine tooth comb and get months to decide if they want you or not. However young players cannot do the same. The current system rewards shitty teams for being shitty. A young player can see a team with a front office in disarray, shitty Medical staff, and shitty coaches. And being told to deal with it. Instead of being able to choose the best situation for THEM to succeed.

Curtwalk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sour knicks fan upset because free agents aren't flocking to a shitty run team.
What he doesn't realize is that if guys got drafted to a shitty run big market team they gonna want to leave in a few years.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sour knicks fan upset because free agents aren't flocking to a shitty run team.
What he doesn't realize is that if guys got drafted to a shitty run big market team they gonna want to leave in a few years.

Honestly, a lot of people don't give these young brothers enough credit.

Many of us have gone in for an interview and quickly realized that the company is fucked and want no part of it. These brothers should be able to do the same. If you walk in for an interview with the Knicks. And you decide that it's not the right situation for you the develop your game and to put your body in the hands of their training staff. You should be able to interview with Milwaukee, Memphis, Utah etc. And decide with situation works best for you. It's clear which teams have their shit together and which dont. Check out where the veterans go in free agency.

There's also agents, managers, mentors and family. Most of these young brothers generally have people in their corner that look out for their best interest. Some don't unfortunately. But those that do, wouldn't they be in their ear pointing them in the best direction for themselves and career.

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I can't feel sorry for these dudes. Basketball players have less than a 5 percent chance of making it to the league. Not many people in the world get a chance to make millions of dollars doing what they love. Then no matter what profession one does they have to make a sacrifice. Anytime somebody makes good money there has to be a sacrifice ...this might be theirs. Make lemonade....get up on your hobbies,move your bum ass friends in so they can blow their money.
The best ball players are not in the NBA.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
A lot of you guys never participated in corporate interviews during college I see. It’s not just sports. You might get an offer in any city the company is located....if you want to work for that company then you accept. If you’re more concerned about seeing yo mama every weekend, and not leaving your girlfriend of 3 weeks and finding a new barber, then you decline.......

$moneyPit$

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man please. Fuck them. Shit ain't that damn serious. You make enough money to live where you want in the offseason and if you are smart, should make enough money to last you a lifetime in only a few years. :smh: Fuckin' spoiled bastids....

Exactly,fuck them, motherfuckers want total euphoria and happiness, listen there getting paid millions and are fortunate to do something they love to do. You how many people on this planet are working a job they really don't like but deal with It. They can work away for 8-9 months and be where they want to be for 4-5 months.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well it is a little different though....cause in the job market at large, most companies are not part of an organization that sets rules on how many newcomers each underling company can hire and how much they can pay them and how many years out of high school the newcomers have to be. Google isnt awarded the rights to anyone's labor unless that person chooses to work for them and if that person wants to go elsewhere instead, there is no commissioner saying nope, you can't, cause Google had your pick.

....now all that said and done, it's still hard to find a way around it. Breaking it all up and moving towards that european soccer model may sound ok, but it would undoubtably affect TV contracts, etc and thus affect team and league $$$$$. Money talks.
I think rookie contracts should maybe be be changed to not lock them in as long, etc.

A lot of you guys never participated in corporate interviews during college I see. It’s not just sports. You might get an offer in any city the company is located....if you want to work for that company then you accept. If you’re more concerned about seeing yo mama every weekend, and not leaving your girlfriend of 3 weeks and finding a new barber, then you decline.......

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The best ball players are not in the NBA.
probably not but plenty still want to come play in it for better or worse. a country they never been too and the same cities these rookies be supposedly depressed about. they make sacrifices. They get drafted....some choose not to come. That same option is available to these gentlemen...they know what they getting into...they hire their agents , they sign their contracts

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Well it is a little different though....cause in the job market at large,
most companies are not part of an organization that sets rules on how many newcomers each underling company can hire and how much they can pay them and how many years out of high school the newcomers have to be.

Any law firm or doctor partnership or top accounting firm knows exactly how many slots they have for any hiring year AND exactly what they intend to pay those people.

Google isnt awarded the rights to anyone's labor unless that person chooses to work for them and if that person wants to go elsewhere instead, there is no commissioner saying nope, you can't, cause Google had your pick.

One isn't forced to play in the NBA...they choose to. There is the European league....which is a choice as well. Zion could choose that if he wanted to and I doubt they will turn him away....

But I get you overall point.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I don't blame them. Who wants to be sent to a city where you can be shot for speeding? No amount of money is worth that

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You are in your early twenties making 7 figures!! Get over it!!!! Like I said, in only a few years you will have enough money to support you and your family for life.

I get that they are young and might not understand that, but it is what it is.

It's hard for someone that's 21 to understand that someone 40, 50, 60, and even 70 can enjoy life to the fullest. They think after their 20's, it's all over.

To have 6 or 7 figure bank account into your 40's to 70's is a fucking blessing that BILLIONS of people would love to have.

What happens if you get drafted by a team with a shitty Medical staff? Coaches that can't develop you properly. Thus fucking up your chances on long term bread. 2nd round picks aren't making 7 figures.

Dudes is talking but not really thinking about what they are saying.

What if a player wanted to go to a small market. Carve out a spot on a team for a 10 year career. But some team that can't get their shit together drafts them.

There are 60 players selected, but most people in this thread are only thinking about the top 5 picks.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
These weirdo Skinny jean fags are soft. With that said, I’d be pissed being drafted by Utah, Milwaukee, OKC or Minnesota. PISSED!

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Matthijs De Ligt is 19 yrs old and being courted by Real Madrid, Barca, Juventus, Man U. and Man City, PSG, and he can make the choice on which club he wants to go to, and he will be paid a salary way higher than the #1 pick rookie scale salary. The top American pro sports prospects don't have this kinda option because of the American Major Leagues and NCAA model

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
After 3 or 4 yrs when their first contract is done they can decide where they want to go if team decided to sign them

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Teams have options that can hold on to them for 5 yrs on their rookie deal, so why should they have to be stuck in a city they don't want for 5 years before having their freedom when young Soccer phenoms can have it from jump

After 3 or 4 yrs when their first contract is done they can decide where they want to go if team decided to sign them

Duece

This profile is now managed by A.I.
BGOL Investor
Teams have options that can hold on to them for 5 yrs on their rookie deal, so why should they have to be stuck in a city they don't want for 5 years before having their freedom when young Soccer phenoms can have it from jump

You still have to account for the product on the court.. Give the players all the freedom in the world and your league is shit except for a few teams

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This is not soccer... Completely different system... If kids have problems with system they can play overseas... Than eventually come back and try to sign with whatever team

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You still have to account for the product on the court.. Give the players all the freedom in the world and your league is shit except for a few teams
which would collapse the league and dudes that are great in ball will no longer be able to make money since the NBA no longer exist than will have to run out the country for hoop dreams

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
7 years MINIMUM if you outplay your draft position and if you want to go somewhere else? You about to come up off MILLIONS.

:smh:

These weirdo Skinny jean fags are soft. With that said, I’d be pissed being drafted by Utah, Milwaukee, OKC or Minnesota. PISSED!

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
I’d live in fucking Idaho 8 months out of the year if I got paid millions to play a game I love. These dudes soft. Depressed? FOH

:lol::lol::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao3: Right, lemme go ahead and get the suitcase full of tampons. Tampons you say? It's for the blood motherfucker! :angry::mad: Shut that shit up! Ol pussy ass motherfuckerso_O

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

People keep saying this, but it's not possible. Everytime this comes up. People forget the salary cap. Or even most obvious. Egos.

Too much money and too many egos. Utah is throwing Max money at you, but LA can only give you 10mil a year because they got two other max players. If YOU think you are a top talent. Why would you go live under someone's shadow and fuck up your paper?