ESPN writer says young NBA players are depressed being drafted to cities they dont want to live

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
This is 1 of the writers in Sports Media pushing for American Pro Sports model to change to the European Model of Youth Academies/No NCAA/No Draft/No Salary Cap/No Max Salaries/No Rookie Scale salaries instead of this American Model of using the NCAA and The Draft. These young nba players prolly looking at the young soccer players with envy, seeing Kylian Mbappe being the youngest 1 on the Forbes List this yr earning over $30 mil at 20 yrs old already. Seeing how much these young 19-22 yr old soccer players like De Jong, De Ligt, Joao Felix, Vinicius Jr, Marcus Rashford etc. getting paid already without a rookie scale while getting to pick to play in cities like Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Manchester etc. Niggas getting drafted to Milwaukee, Cleveland, OKC, Utah etc. depressed

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I get it... If I worked my ass off to be among the top % of my graduating class, and I got drafted to work in a city, for a corporation I didnt want... Id be pissed too. I honestly dont care enough to be mad about it because Im not in their position, but for the sake of conversation. Aside from "Its sports and its just how its done..." Why are people cool with this???

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
If you think about it, the whole sport system in America needs to be overhauled. Most other places in the world, top athletes get to go pro and compete in the high level at a young age and while American kid have to toil in the amateur level until they are out of high school. This has been the complaint for a long time with American teenage amateur often competing against professionals in the Olympics and other international competitions. The Professional drafts are dumb and often International players don’t often have go through the drafting process like what happens in the MLB.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
This is totally about Zion potentially being drafted by the Pelicans

If the New York Knicks or Los Angeles Lakers held the first pick this article wouldn't exist..

If it's that bad, just get rid of the unsexy markets and cut the NBA down to a 20 team league and play 38 games like they do in European soccer.

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I get it... If I worked my ass off to be among the top % of my graduating class, and I got drafted to work in a city, for a corporation I didnt want... Id be pissed too. I honestly dont care enough to be mad about it because Im not in their position, but for the sake of conversation. Aside from "Its sports and its just how its done..." Why are people cool with this???
It makes no sense outside of people that drink the Kool-Aid that the media and Pro Teams gives them.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Exactly, a young Soccer Dutch phenom like De Ligt for example joined Ajax Youth Academy at 9 yrs old, got moved up to play pro at 16 yrs old for Ajax, now 3 seasons later at 19 yrs old, he has offers on the table either to go to Barca or PSG who's offering double the salary at 15 mil Euros, converts to $16.8 mil per season. Imagine making $16.8 mil/season and living in Paris at 19 yrs old

If you think about it, the whole sport system in America needs to be overhauled. Most other places in the world, top athletes get to go pro and compete in the high level at a young age and while American kid have to toil in the amateur level until they are out of high school. This has been the complaint for a long time with American teenage amateur often competing against professionals in the Olympics and other international competitions. The Professional drafts are dumb and often International players don’t often have go through the drafting process like what happens in the MLB.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man please. Fuck them. Shit ain't that damn serious. You make enough money to live where you want in the offseason and if you are smart, should make enough money to last you a lifetime in only a few years. :smh: Fuckin' spoiled bastids....

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

If the New York Knicks or Los Angeles Lakers held the first pick this article wouldn't exist..

If it's that bad, just get rid of the unsexy markets and cut the NBA down to a 20 team league and play 38 games like they do in European soccer.
Cause people would rather live in NY or LA than in OKC or Salt Lake City.

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Man please. Fuck them. Shit ain't that damn serious. You make enough money to live where you want in the offseason and if you are smart, should make enough money to last you a lifetime in only a few years. :smh: Fuckin' spoiled bastids....

Answer this question though: don’t you think this how Sport system in America is antiquated?

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Once again, if it's that bad, then the NBA should chop it self down to 20 teams and play a 38 game season like they do in Europe.

NBA doesn't need 30 teams.

I think they could do the model similar to Europe of having pro tiers and that the bottom teams get demoted if they don’t perform well enough. They should also build the stadiums that are just as big as Baseball stadiums.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Answer this question though: don’t you think this how Sport system in America is antiquated?
The only thing I don't agree with is a kid, regardless of the sport, having to wait until a certain age to play a pro sport or spend a certain amount of time in college. Once you graduate from High School or turn 18, you should be able to do what the fuck you want to do.

daTiger

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That's why I call bullshit on this article!

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The only thing I don't agree with is a kid, regardless of the sport, having to wait until a certain age to play a pro sport or spend a certain amount of time in college. Once you graduate from High School or turn 18, you should be able to do what the fuck you want to do.
Why 18? Man, I do hope at some point an a younger American kid would take a chance to play a pro league in Europe or Australia like the Ball kid is going to do this year.

BAG

Cleveland D-T-W [216]
BGOL Investor
This is 1 of the writers in Sports Media pushing for American Pro Sports model to change to the European Model of Youth Academies/No NCAA/No Draft/No Salary Cap/No Max Salaries/No Rookie Scale salaries instead of this American Model of using the NCAA and The Draft. These young nba players prolly looking at the young soccer players with envy, seeing Kylian Mbappe being the youngest 1 on the Forbes List this yr earning over $30 mil at 20 yrs old already. Seeing how much these young 19-22 yr old soccer players like De Jong, De Ligt, Joao Felix, Vinicius Jr, Marcus Rashford etc. getting paid already without a rookie scale while getting to pick to play in cities like Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Manchester etc. Niggas getting drafted to Milwaukee, Cleveland, OKC, Utah etc. depressed

:furious: Lebron Came back the Goat of this ERA, OBJ didn't say fuck Cleveland I ain't playing there trade me ASAP, Baker Mayfield and Kyrie Irving didn't pull an ELI manning and let it leak don't draft me I'm not coming to Cleveland Kyrie Irving actually signed an extension he didn't get tight until he felt Lebron took a piss on his turf

It boils down to who got the juice at the time a team could be in buckfuck Ottawa but if they are winning at the time and getting fancy headlines on ESPN players would not bitch as much going to that place with minimal pretty bitches 5-star titty bars and whatever else

but I get your point

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor

What's the alternative?

Its not like you can base every team in five-six cities so that everyone can live were they want.

Essentially the players they're referring to want to play/live in LA, NYC, Miami, and maybe Houston, Chicago, and one or two other possibles.

That shit is unrealistic and based simply on the fact that in order for these leagues to function and generate the income necessary to pay their million dollar salaries they will have to have teams based in smaller, less desirable areas to someone out of college.

I'd they feel that way they can play for a few years and build their self up enough to be pursued and paid by the teams they wish.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why 18? Man, I do hope at some point an a younger American kid would take a chance to play a pro league in Europe or Australia like the Ball kid is going to do this year.
At least old enough to be able to handle all the bullshit that will come your way. It's still a learning process, but 18 is a fair age to me.

Especially since the kid will have to travel and the parents can't be there 24/7 like maybe a child actor's parents could be.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

Yeah but name me one unhappy NBA young player willing to take a pay cut for that scenario? :rolleyes2:

m7CWAC.jpg

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
At least old enough to be able to handle all the bullshit that will come your way. It's still a learning process, but 18 is a fair age to me.

Especially since the kid will have to travel and the parents can't be there 24/7 like maybe a child actor's parents could be.
But a lot of these kids are already traveling with the AAU Travel teams and some of the Prep schools, so why not as paid Pros.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But a lot of these kids are already traveling with the AAU Travel teams and some of the Prep schools, so why not as paid Pros.
Because they are getting millions of dollars at that point and they are traveling full time with groupies and all kinds of sharks coming at them.

AAU/Prep schools are nothing like being a pro athlete.

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

Guys like Kristaps Porzingis got to play pro at 12 as well as Luka Doncic. If a kid was getting paid $1m+ per season, don’t you think one parent wouldn’t quit their job to be with the kid?

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
How hard is it to rent a spot in the city you play and have a home where you want
Hell nigs can rent a room or 2 at a nice hotel for months and have either lyft/uber to take you and pick up from game/practice/shopping/clubbing... 1 room dedicated to fucking/groupies the other room for all your shit/sleep... You could even stash food off the team dinners... U'll save made money doing this

PeerlessMack

Been here longer than you think!
Platinum Member
I get it. It's ironic that a top athletic kid can choose which college to play for and they even hold an event that is televised when that kid makes the official announcement. All in the name of higher learning.

But when it is time for that same kid to make money for his talents, he has no say in which team to play for. I even heard their contracts are full of clauses that prevent them from doing certain things like drag racing at a local track in their free time. What if they simply like racing cars?

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
The season is longer than the offseason and who the fuck wants to spend that much time in cities like Salt Lake City, Cleveland, Detroit, Sacramento, Milwaukee, OKC. 80% of NBA players already live in LA during offseason

How hard is it to rent a spot in the city you play and have a home where you want

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Yea NBA should have just rigged the shit like they do most things and gave the Knicks Zion