:::Official BGOL Firefighter Thread:::

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor

1....damn...I just love everything about it...I know its a vague answer.....but just helping ppl...saving lives...the kids...the community...the brotherhood...the adrenaline fighting the beast....just everything bruh....the sirens...i know I sound like a kid....

2....Pros...being a blk FF in most all white DEPT's...showing brothas its a great job...interacting with the community....helping ppl.... (see 1)

cons....hmmm...maybe death of my brother or a victim....failure...

3....I love large DEPT's...but I'm willing to work in small depts...

I've tested in...

FDNY
Prince William County, VA

I have upcoming exams in...

Annapolis, MD
Loudon County, VA

and Aug 23rd 2008 in Washington DC...

I have no whip...i take a long bus ride's down to these areas from NYC....sometimes 4-6 hrs...so I ain't taking this lightly....

also good looks brotha....great to get some guys chiming in....:yes:

Curious is money a concern for you? Because if not, FDNY is definitely the dept for you.Its known as one of the best in the country,they have alot of pride for the job,get alot of fires,and very traditional.The downsides are that they are one of lowest paid,wack work schedule,history of racial tension, and they fight fires more aggressively than intelligently. They have fire deaths often.Its definitely one of the most dangerous departments.

For me, I liked the feeling of helping people and instantly seeing the fruits of my labor.For years ive worked a variety of jobs but none of them I felt "mattered".So what if I didnt get that report in on time(other than my boss getting pissed)? So what if I made mistakes or didnt care?With the fireservice I see the value of my labor daily.I also liked the unpredictability.Every day is different.Another thing I was attracted to is the schedule.I didnt want to work all year and play 2 weeks out of the year then retire at 65 too old to really enjoy retirement.With the fireservice I can take vacation anytime I want.I also liked the pay.I wanted to live an upper middle class lifestyle so I had to make upper middle class pay.
So for me I had to work in a busy Dept in California.The East Coast has great Depts but their compensation is almost half of California's.

My advice to anyone is to look at what is important to you and focus on depts that will get you that.Some depts get alot of fire,some never do.Some depts are aggressive as hell.Some have policies against going into burning buildings! Some depts pay to the upper middle class wages.Some will have you next to poverty. Look and see what works for you.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Dont you live in the Bay Area? Did you take Oakland's last test?

Nah, I am up in the suburban area near cleveland. Serious business I would love to be on call or do it part time and still personal train. Aint nothing like working for yourself............................but I always wanted to be a fucking fireman. I am early 30's so its too late for me.

nachos4

wannabe star
Registered
I am a firefighter and love it. I have a friend in FDNY who loves it too. I would highly recommend it. You can make decent money after a while with it, plus you'll have tons of time off to work a second job. Also, if you do drop out of college to pursue it, you can have tons of time to complete your degree after you get the job at the firehouse. So don't think you have to do one or the other. You can ultimately do both. Contact me if you want more info....I have tons of study materials too I can send you so you won't bomb any more tests.

If you are in NYC I would recommend contacting the Vulcan Society....it is the Black Firefighter organization. I think they put on a class to prep you for the exam and also offer study materials. They could probably give you a bunch of advice and contacts as well.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Curious is money a concern for you? Because if not, FDNY is definitely the dept for you.Its known as one of the best in the country,they have alot of pride for the job,get alot of fires,and very traditional.The downsides are that they are one of lowest paid,wack work schedule,history of racial tension, and they fight fires more aggressively than intelligently. They have fire deaths often.Its definitely one of the most dangerous departments.

For me, I liked the feeling of helping people and instantly seeing the fruits of my labor.For years ive worked a variety of jobs but none of them I felt "mattered".So what if I didnt get that report in on time(other than my boss getting pissed)? So what if I made mistakes or didnt care?With the fireservice I see the value of my labor daily.I also liked the unpredictability.Every day is different.Another thing I was attracted to is the schedule.I didnt want to work all year and play 2 weeks out of the year then retire at 65 too old to really enjoy retirement.With the fireservice I can take vacation anytime I want.I also liked the pay.I wanted to live an upper middle class lifestyle so I had to make upper middle class pay.
So for me I had to work in a busy Dept in California.The East Coast has great Depts but their compensation is almost half of California's.

My advice to anyone is to look at what is important to you and focus on depts that will get you that.Some depts get alot of fire,some never do.Some depts are aggressive as hell.Some have policies against going into burning buildings! Some depts pay to the upper middle class wages.Some will have you next to poverty. Look and see what works for you.

FDNY starts at 32k-35k starting when you hit the academy....

washington DC 44k starting when you hit the academy....

Loudon County 39k.....

I heard LA its 48k...is this true...

honestly...i want a busy dept...but if not...its okay....

do i care about the money...yeah...but not entry....i want to know what I can make 5,6 or 7 years down the line...

and i want to be able to grow within the dept...promotions...etc...thats why I like smaller depts...easier for you to grow....

FDNY is pretty aggressive...deaths are not uncommon over here....:(

I heard you guys in the West get paid so much more cuz you have to deal with forrest fires and more natural disasters...any truth to this...Southern Firefighters are paid the lowest from what i have seen...I've seen a few 30k entry....:smh:

man i've worked in offices...been in college...just wasn't feeling it...especially the office job...boring...gossip...and just corny...no hate to anyone that does it....

i need something active...challenging....etc....

how was probie life for you?

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
Too late? Early 30s? Hell naw man!Thats actually a good age to get hired because you should have some maturity.we've hired guys in their 40s.early 30s was the AVERAGE in my academy.Plus with our hours you can still have your own business.We have plenty of guys with other jobs.

You only interested in living/working in Cleveland area?

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
I am a firefighter and love it. I have a friend in FDNY who loves it too. I would highly recommend it. You can make decent money after a while with it, plus you'll have tons of time off to work a second job. Also, if you do drop out of college to pursue it, you can have tons of time to complete your degree after you get the job at the firehouse. So don't think you have to do one or the other. You can ultimately do both. Contact me if you want more info....I have tons of study materials too I can send you so you won't bomb any more tests.

If you are in NYC I would recommend contacting the Vulcan Society....it is the Black Firefighter organization. I think they put on a class to prep you for the exam and also offer study materials. They could probably give you a bunch of advice and contacts as well.

the sad shit is when the 6019 test back in '06 came out...the VULCAN's called me up to study with them....

I fuked up....didn't take it seriously....:smh:

but now I'm focus...I have so many exams in so many cities....but i would love to work in my city....

like like DC dept too....I'll hit you up on a PM....what city you work in...you don't have to answer if you not comfortable family....

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Too late? Early 30s? Hell naw man!Thats actually a good age to get hired because you should have some maturity.we've hired guys in their 40s.early 30s was the AVERAGE in my academy.Plus with our hours you can still have your own business.We have plenty of guys with other jobs.

You only interested in living/working in Cleveland area?

Yeah man. Know anything about up here? Are there ways to get in if you know people?

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor

FDNY starts at 32k-35k starting when you hit the academy....

washington DC 44k starting when you hit the academy....

Loudon County 39k.....

I heard LA its 48k...is this true...

honestly...i want a busy dept...but if not...its okay....

do i care about the money...yeah...but not entry....i want to know what I can make 5,6 or 7 years down the line...

and i want to be able to grow within the dept...promotions...etc...thats why I like smaller depts...easier for you to grow....

FDNY is pretty aggressive...deaths are not uncommon over here....:(

I heard you guys in the West get paid so much more cuz you have to deal with forrest fires and more natural disasters...any truth to this...Southern Firefighters are paid the lowest from what i have seen...I've seen a few 30k entry....:smh:

man i've worked in offices...been in college...just wasn't feeling it...especially the office job...boring...gossip...and just corny...no hate to anyone that does it....

i need something active...challenging....etc....

how was probie life for you?

Don't even look at academy pay.Thats only 16 weeks of a 20+ year career.Look at top step to get an idea of pay.For instance in my dept we get a 50K increase from academy pay after our 16 week academy.Then after probation we get a 10 K increase the 4 K every year for next 4 years.In the West we get paid more because of our Union strength and because we have to have more certs (usually) to get hired.Here many of our firefighters are Paramedics which is extra education.Most Northern Cali departments dont fight much wildland fires.When we do, its on voluntary basis to go on a strike team out of county.Its actually easier to promote in large depts than smaller ones because of the large number of positions open.For instance a small dept might have 1 Capt. spot open and 20 people taking it,where in a large Dept it might be 16 positions open and 40 people taking it.For some reason in large depts people are less interested in promoting.Prolly because people dont get bored as easily.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Don't even look at academy pay.Thats only 16 weeks of a 20+ year career.Look at top step to get an idea of pay.For instance in my dept we get a 50K increase from academy pay after our 16 week academy.Then after probation we get a 10 K increase the 4 K every year for next 4 years.In the West we get paid more because of our Union strength and because we have to have more certs (usually) to get hired.Here many of our firefighters are Paramedics which is extra education.Most Northern Cali departments dont fight much wildland fires.When we do, its on voluntary basis to go on a strike team out of county.Its actually easier to promote in large depts than smaller ones because of the large number of positions open.For instance a small dept might have 1 Capt. spot open and 20 people taking it,where in a large Dept it might be 16 positions open and 40 people taking it.For some reason in large depts people are less interested in promoting.Prolly because people dont get bored as easily.

I notice that alot of ppl have no interest moving up....

i want to be a Firefighter/Paramedic its more money and its just better for me....

I was thinking about LAFD...but thats a hell of a journey...NYC to LA....still considering tho....:lol:

question....DC firfighters max out at 70k-75k...is this with or w/o OT...is that a accurate number when most depts put out what their firefighters max out at?

next how was it being the only brotha in a firehouse?

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
My Dept actually has alot of brothas.But ive worked in depts that had none.Its tough.You really dont know white folks till you around em 24 hrs.At some point they cant keep up their acts and they are who they are.You just gotta stay on your hustle and stay focused on what you want.Man you definitely have ya mind right if you willing to be a medic.How old are you? Dont trip off the move man.Trust.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Other parts of ohio are fine, I prefer the northern part though.

Huron FD OH
Hiram FD OH
Clearcreek FD OH
University Heights FD (First 100 app's) OH
Franklin FD OH
City of Oxford FD (Open until filled) OH
Painesville FD OH
Monroe Township FD OH
Sycamore Township FD OH
Munroe Falls FD (Open until filled) OH
Hartville FD OH
Hamilton Township FD (Open until filled) OH
Wilmington FD (Open until filled) OH
Salem/Morrow FD (Open until filled) OH
Twinsburg FD (Open until filled) OH
Colerain Township FD OH
Mentor FD OH
Little Miami FD (Open until filled)OH
Miami Township FD OH
Hamilton FD OH
Village of Grand River OH

all Dept's currently hiring firefighters entry level....choose the ones you want info on I'll PM or post it in the thread...

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
My Dept actually has alot of brothas.But ive worked in depts that had none.Its tough.You really dont know white folks till you around em 24 hrs.At some point they cant keep up their acts and they are who they are.You just gotta stay on your hustle and stay focused on what you want.Man you definitely have ya mind right if you willing to be a medic.How old are you? Dont trip off the move man.Trust.

24 going on 25 in Oct.....

I just think they may be on some racial shit being the only brotha in a firehouse...

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Huron FD OH
Hiram FD OH
Clearcreek FD OH
University Heights FD (First 100 app's) OH
Franklin FD OH
Painesville FD OH
Monroe Township FD OH
Sycamore Township FD OH
Munroe Falls FD (Open until filled) OH
Hartville FD OH
Hamilton Township FD (Open until filled) OH
Wilmington FD (Open until filled) OH
Salem/Morrow FD (Open until filled) OH
Twinsburg FD (Open until filled) OH
Colerain Township FD OH
Mentor FD OH
Little Miami FD (Open until filled)OH
Miami Township FD OH
Hamilton FD OH
Village of Grand River OH

all Dept's currently hiring firefighters entry level....choose the ones you want info on I'll PM or post it in the thread...

Twinsburg, mentor,painesville, university hts. That info would be much appreciated.

hoozdaman

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
If u willing to relocate, LAFD is on a hiring push rite now...tryna to hire 250 ff's a year...ff/paramedics especially!! Dual function ff's are premium...;)

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
24 going on 25 in Oct.....

I just think they may be on some racial shit being the only brotha in a firehouse...

Oh its alot of tension but not in your face.The whole "brotherhood" thing definitely aint including brothers(unless you are a Tom).Like I said, the thing is to just stay on ya grind.You can be friendly but as long as you know what the deal is you wont set yourself up for disappointment.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
If u willing to relocate, LAFD is on a hiring push rite now...tryna to hire 250 ff's a year...ff/paramedics especially!! Dual function ff's are premium...;)

are you a firefighter...

damn thats real far for me...maybe i'll consider it...Their exams are always open...

I'm in NYC tho....I'm on the fence...they start off well tho...like 48k...:cool:

hoozdaman

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
yea, it's seriously rewarding from a standpoint of self satisfaction as well as financially...the schedule is cool, it allows time to have a second job if u want or plenty time to chill and enjoy life. Overtime is available when u want to work or just need to make a little more dough and the racial climate ain't nearly as bad as it used to be....if you're serious and willing to relocate, it might be worth the investment. EMT or paramedic certification is a BIG BONUS!!!

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
yea, it's seriously rewarding from a standpoint of self satisfaction as well as financially...the schedule is cool, it allows time to have a second job if u want or plenty time to chill and enjoy life. Overtime is available when u want to work or just need to make a little more dough and the racial climate ain't nearly as bad as it used to be....if you're serious and willing to relocate, it might be worth the investment. EMT or paramedic certification is a BIG BONUS!!!

good advice...I'm considering....

thanks brotha stay safe...

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
I put in 20 years with the Boston F.D...it was,and still is the greatest job in the world.
It's not for everyone...but if it is,look at it this way.
You can do anything you want with this job...time off allows that.
With shifts like they did....some cities do 24 on,72 off...others like Boston go,day shift/night shift..day off,day shift/night shift..then 72 off...and repeat.

So time off is a great benefit...

You can come to work drunk...and go home sober,mainly white guys...
Or you can come to work sober and go home drunk...again,mainly white guys..

And nowadays...it ain't like you gonna be the only black face,as I was in my first fire house...except perhaps, New York,or Mayberry...

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
I put in 20 years with the Boston F.D...it was,and still is the greatest job in the world.
With shifts like they did....some cities do 24 on,72 off...others like Boston go,day shift/night shift..day off,day shift/night shift..then 72 off...and repeat.

And nowadays...it ain't like you gonna be the only black face,as I was in my first fire house...except perhaps, New York,or Mayberry...

man FDNY is trying their hardest to stop that shit...

when i was younger a Firefighter just got off his shift...driving drunk...killed a whole hispanic family...:angry::(

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor

YUP! BTW Congrats Jake!

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
FDNY Fire Fighters are peace officers as well lol

Oh yeah a lot of NYPD cops just to the NYPD as well so that should tell you something. Its a great gig.

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
man FDNY is trying their hardest to stop that shit...

when i was younger a Firefighter just got off his shift...driving drunk...killed a whole hispanic family...:angry::(

Yeah...they have been trying to stop that stuff in Boston,since before me...but it's tradition.
I remember years ago,as an FFOP being detailed to a firehouse.
They had a Coke machine hooked up to dispense beer instead of soda.
I thought damn...these dudes are gonna get busted,til I saw the chief go over and put his 50 cents in.

Public opinion in Boston these days is at an all-time low.
Too much shit has come to light in the past few months.A couple of guys who were killed in the line of duty,one had drugs in his system and the other was legally drunk.
There have been firefighters caught in drug busts,picking up hookers in uniform while driving a department car...smoking weed while using a department car.

And to top it off,filling in for someone at a higher grade than you...and suffering a 'career ending injury'.This has the FBI involved...

Last year,out 108 retirees...72 went off at a higher grade than they worked...that's balls.

In Boston,when an LT goes on vacation...a private fills in.
When a Captain goes...a LT fills in...and so on...all the way up to deputy.

So these guys,when they fill in...they slip or fall,career over...but instead of getting the pension that you normally would have,you get the grade that you were acting in at the time of your injury....cute,huh??

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
LOL....Thats crazy.With us you have to be in a position for a year to get retirement at that position.Shits is alot stricter here too.If somebody gets caught drinking on the job they would be fired.But some white dudes STILL push the envelope.I learned alot about white folks on this job.They HATE authority and embrace adreneline/risk.These mfers will risk their careers over NOTHING.Just to do it.