:::Official BGOL Firefighter Thread:::

bwb

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im up in NYC too. I thought about firefighting as a career recently too. When I looked online, I realized that I was already older than the age limit. I'm mid 30s and this ended at 29. :smh:

It seems like an awesome career. You get to do something that actually carries meaning. Not just throwing together relational databases or stored procedures, not just making sure that this field on the form contains that kind of data, the kind of shit that no one really gives a fuck about.

But if you don't do your job then people die and homes/property get lost. You get the physical challenge, fitness is important, and the schedule is flexible enough to allow you to other shit on the off days.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Im up in NYC too. I thought about firefighting as a career recently too. When I looked online, I realized that I was already older than the age limit. I'm mid 30s and this ended at 29. :smh:

It seems like an awesome career. You get to do something that actually carries meaning. Not just throwing together relational databases or stored procedures, not just making sure that this field on the form contains that kind of data, the kind of shit that no one really gives a fuck about.

But if you don't do your job then people die and homes/property get lost. You get the physical challenge, fitness is important, and the schedule is flexible enough to allow you to other shit on the off days.

preach...

2 days you work a week....have time to go to school...or get a 2nd job...

and your right...NO HATE to those that do office work and all that...its boring to me...and has no meaning...

but son don't give up...they are still tons of Dept's in the US and abroad that will still hire you i your mid 30's fam....

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Firefighter here for 7 years in a large Dept in the Bay Area of California.Im active in our Black Firefighters Association and ive mentored and assisted quite a few people with getting careers.That said,lemme ask you a few questions and please answer HONESTLY.

1-Why do you want to be a firefighter?
2-What are pros/cons (to you) in being a firefighter?
3-What areas of the US are you willing to work/live?

God's Gift

The best of the majority of you niggas.
BGOL Investor
There are a few of us on the board. One of the things I've always heard is the "I'm not running into a burning building"...

Seems like the people who say the above statement are driving without wearing seat belts..

You're not going alone, with no protective equipment, without a yo e else going in with you or being outside whose willing to help you. However you better be damn ready to help them too!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Pops worked 34 years for the fire dept. Retired at 59.

One of his late aunts ... her husband worked 40 years in Alberta. He recently turned 90. Retired in his early-60s.