Tina Turner, Queen of Rock'n Roll, has passed away at the age of 83. (1939-2023)

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She edged Tina out only in popularity at that point in time. I think Tina was much more influential not only bridging the gap between R&B and rock but being a Black female rock vocalist and a popular one.

I'd put a lot of people ahead of Madonna when you consider female musicians like Cher and Barbara Streisand for instance.
thats fair but shes so far ahead of those women in terms of sales and concerts and merchandise its not really close. Intangible opinions are the only way u can make a case for anyone to be ahead of Madonna. Here is a comparison of record sales between those women you named

Madonna 201.9 million albums sold 75.2 million physical singles 42.1 million downloads/digital TOTAL 319 MILLION UNITS
Cher(solo only) 53.4 million albums sold 46.2 million physical singles 12.2 million downloads/digital TOTAL 111 MILLION UNITS
Barbara Streisand 138.6 million albums sold 35.2 million physical singles 3.68 million downloads/digital TOTAL UNITS 176 MILLION UNITS
Tina Turner(solo only) 59.1 million albums sold 27.9 million physical singles 19.4 million downloads.digital TOTAL UNITS 106 MILLION UNITS

The numbers dont lie Madonna almost sold as many records as all 3 combined she was an absolute monster in terms of sales and thats the name of the game.

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
thats fair but shes so far ahead of those women in terms of sales and concerts and merchandise its not really close. Intangible opinions are the only way u can make a case for anyone to be ahead of Madonna. Here is a comparison of record sales between those women you named

Madonna 201.9 million albums sold 75.2 million physical singles 42.1 million downloads/digital TOTAL 319 MILLION UNITS
Cher(solo only) 53.4 million albums sold 46.2 million physical singles 12.2 million downloads/digital TOTAL 111 MILLION UNITS
Barbara Streisand 138.6 million albums sold 35.2 million physical singles 3.68 million downloads/digital TOTAL UNITS 176 MILLION UNITS
Tina Turner(solo only) 59.1 million albums sold 27.9 million physical singles 19.4 million downloads.digital TOTAL UNITS 106 MILLION UNITS

The numbers dont lie Madonna almost sold as many records as all 3 combined she was an absolute monster in terms of sales and thats the name of the game.
Of course when your build you Mt Rushmore for male artists, John, Paul, George, and Ringo better all be on there before James Brown, Elvis and Michael Jackson if we're going by these metrics.

And you should give Whitney's spot to Rihanna or Beyonce.

Last edited:

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
She had a helluva run!

6slk.gif

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Of course when your build you Mt Rushmore for male artists, John, Paul, George, and Ringo better all be on there before James Brown, Elvis and Michael Jackson if we're going by these metrics.

And you should give Whitney's spot to Rihanna or Beyonce.
actually the male Mt Rushmore for me is the Beatles,Elvis,MJ and Sinatra if we doing single male peformer and not the top 4 including group I would put Mccartney in to represent the Beatles. Those 4 are indisputable. There is no way in hell Beyonce or Rihanna is over Whitney. She sold more records than those 2,had a much more historical career and we dont even have to go there as far a voice goes.

Piff Henderson

BGOL Investor
There is no way in hell Beyonce or Rihanna is over Whitney. She sold more records than those 2,had a much more historical career and we dont even have to go there as far a voice goes.
Not according to Wikipedia. Rihanna is right after Zeppelin in the 250+ million range. Beyonce, Mariah Carey, and Taylor Swift are all above Whitney in the 200-249 million range.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Harry Belafonte.
Jim Brown.
Tina Turner.

It seems The Lord is picking our seasoned best and brightest every week.
Thank you for the music, the movies and the memories Acid Queen...
RIP.
:sad:

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not according to Wikipedia. Rihanna is right after Zeppelin in the 250+ million range. Beyonce, Mariah Carey, and Taylor Swift are all above Whitney in the 200-249 million range.
Never quote Wikipedia for record sales. Rihanna has sold 257+million DOWNLOADS/DIGITALS not albums nor physical singles. Those 257 million downloads has a ratio of 8/1 some use 12/1 to determine real value of downloads in comparison to album sales. A $10 Whiney album has a significantly higher sales value than a .99 download. So for the purposes of Unit count yes Rihanna has sold more units but as far as certifications and true sales Rihanna isnt close. Whitney sold over 128 million albums and possibly 12 million more due to Waiting to Exhale Soundtrack not credited to her catalog by RIAA but it is by BPI. Rihanna by comparison has sold 34 million albums

Piff Henderson

BGOL Investor
Never quote Wikipedia for record sales. Rihanna has sold 257+million DOWNLOADS/DIGITALS not albums nor physical singles. Those 257 million downloads has a ratio of 8/1 some use 12/1 to determine real value of downloads in comparison to album sales. A $10 Whiney album has a significantly higher sales value than a .99 download. So for the purposes of Unit count yes Rihanna has sold more units but as far as certifications and true sales Rihanna isnt close. Whitney sold over 128 million albums and possibly 12 million more due to Waiting to Exhale Soundtrack not credited to her catalog by RIAA but it is by BPI. Rihanna by comparison has sold 34 million albums
Downloads mean people want to listen to her though right? I don't care about "sales value" in a conversation about popularity. There are no asterisks next to those sales figures.

BTW, where are you getting your info and how do you know it's accurate?

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Downloads mean people want to listen to her though right? I don't care about "sales value" in a conversation about popularity. There are no asterisks next to those sales figures.

BTW, where are you getting your info and how do you know it's accurate?
If you are doing UNIT counts then downloads have there value but if you are looking at sales then you have to look at revenue. Elvis Presley has been credited with 1 billion records sold which is completely crazy and not close HOWEVER they used a little record industry trick which is equlivent sales. the took physical singles sales and converted them to be album sales and doing that turned 200 million single sales 260 million album sales into a billion. the true numbers began to come out in 1958 with the invention of gold certfication and in 1976 with platnium cerification all based on $.but that changed as well when prices went up so they used actual sales. As far as my info I in a previous life was a music historian who had access to actual sales numbers,shipments and returns for close to 250 musical acts. I was a subscriber to Neilsen,Soundscan and I had access to record labels REAL numbers not press release numbers, I had court documents with real numbers from Motown,RCA,Capitol,Cbs when lawsuits were filed for royalties. I had so much shit it was crazy. I update numbers periodically thses days but album sales suck ass so its not worth it anymore to do it.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Death come in 3s..So far, Jim brown and our beloved queen Tina Turner is gone. There could be another death. SMFH

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What a Career, What a life, and most of all, What a Woman! RIP

My favorite Tina Turner song. It showcases everything great about her voice. The funny thing about this song is that Mark Knopfler wrote it for his group Dire Straits. After recording the demo, he realized this is a song best performed by woman.