Tina Turner, Queen of Rock'n Roll, has passed away at the age of 83. (1939-2023)

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn.

I had to, once again, come out of lurker status to say this here is some stupid assed bullshit.

How in the living, raging fuck is a so called "man" who regularly beats up on a woman a man at all, let alone representative of all black men?

Like the magat assholes with the red hats, your statement is indicative of a willingness to embrace anti-intellectualism.

Sad. Just sayin'.

You have a right to your opinion but you dont know what was happening in Ike and Tina's household. You are just going by what a group of whites who are pushing a narrative want you to think.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You have a right to your opinion but you dont know what was happening in Ike and Tina's household. You are just going by what a group of whites who are pushing a narrative want you to think.

Okay. I don't know about her personal life, but she is the greatest and most inspirational female entertainer of all time. Without Tina, there is no Beyonce. Bitches take their heels off at a wedding reception, Tina was dancing and moving her ass off in heels for an entire show.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
71372845-12121231-image-a-51_1684958486056.jpg

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This one hits hard. I was big fan of Tina in the 80's but then later learned that her family and my family were connected through a shared background in Haywood County Tennessee. My dad was from Brownsville and Tina (Anna Mae Bullock) grew up in Nutbush. Supposedly my grandparents and Tina's parents were close friends. My Pops was close to her older half sister Eveyln Currie who died in a car Accident as a teenager.

Been listening to her songs on Sirrius/XM channel 49 all weekend. She had quite a catalog. She crossed effortlessly from R&B, to Rock and to Pop.

Rest in Power Queen.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
RIP,my Grandmother loved this woman. I just had someone ask me if shes on the MT RUSHMORE of female singers. I told her no. She asked why and said my 3 criteria for Mt Rush is record sales,Cultural/Historical signifcance,singing voice/dance ability. My Mt is Aretha,Diana Ross,Madonna and Whitney. I would say shes next 4.
And NONE of the 4 ladies you mentioned could dance wuffa DAMN! :roflmao:

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And NONE of the 4 ladies you mentioned could dance wuffa DAMN! :roflmao:
Let me explain the grading criteria since you only pointed out dance ability

1.Record Sales graded in scale 1-10 with 10 being biggest seller ever (Madonna)
2.Cultural/Historical significance graded on scale of 1-5 each with 5 being highest cultural(Aretha) also 5 being highest historical(Aretha)
3.Singing voice/dance ability graded on scale 1-5 each with 5 being highest singing voice(Whitney) also 5 being highest dance ability(Janet)

Thats how you grade Mt Rushmore. Take each singer and give them a grade based on those 3 categories for example Aretha grades a 7 in record sales a 5 in both cultural and historical significance a 5 in singing voice and a 1 in dance for a total of 23 points. do that for all artists and ypu get the top 4 for your Mt. which for me is Aretha,Diana.Madonna and Whitney.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

2.Cultural/Historical significance graded on scale of 1-5 each with 5 being highest cultural(Aretha) also 5 being highest historical(Aretha)
3.Singing voice/dance ability graded on scale 1-5 each with 5 being highest singing voice(Whitney) also 5 being highest dance ability(Janet)

Thats how you grade Mt Rushmore. Take each singer and give them a grade based on those 3 categories for example Aretha grades a 7 in record sales a 5 in both cultural and historical significance a 5 in singing voice and a 1 in dance for a total of 23 points. do that for all artists and ypu get the top 4 for your Mt. which for me is Aretha,Diana.Madonna and Whitney.
I think if you ranked her as a entertainer and not just a singer, She would easily be top 5. Your ability to entertain people in front of a Live audience is much more important to me than record sales. Whitney and Aretha were without a doubt the greatest female voices ever but you probably watched most of their concerts from your seat. I'm not a big fan of the over produced highly choreographed spectacles you would get from the likes of Janet or Madonna or Beyonce either. I often wonder how their show would go if they lost all that and had to perform with just a mic and a live band.

Just like Prince and James Brown, Tina was also a bandleader (she learned that from Ike) and she could take a planned setlist and do a lot of improv around it at any point.

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think if you ranked her as a entertainer and not just a singer, She would easily be top 5. Your ability to entertain people in front of a Live audience is much more important to me than record sales. Whitney and Aretha were without a doubt the greatest female voices ever but you probably watched most of their concerts from your seat. I'm not a big fan of the over produced highly choreographed spectacles you would get from the likes of Janet or Madonna or Beyonce either. I often wonder how their show would go if they lost all that and had to perform with just a mic and a live band.

Just like Prince and James Brown, Tina was also a bandleader (she learned that from Ike) and she could take a planned setlist and do a lot of improv around it at any point.
1st point I have to address is record sales is THE most important factor period. If you dont sell records you never get to perform in front of a live audience. the entire foundation of music is sales. that is the reason the music industry is the drizzling shits today is no one is selling records and the streaming gimmick is bullshit. You have artists today right now getting gold and platnium awards for selling 50k copies but streaming makes up the difference and the artist made $100k cause they didnt actually sell anything. 2nd the term entertainer is exactly what the category voice/dancing ability is. How does a singer entertain if of by singing and dancing? over produced sets like Beyonce and Janet that you named is still singing and dancing just the same as Tina was singing and dancing without all the theatrics. Tina Turner was a great all time singer but under no matrix can she be top 5 objectively. If you like her thats your taste and opinion but from a historical perspective shes simply not on the level of Aretha,Whitney,Diana,Madonna and its a stretch to put her up there with Celine Dion and Beyonce.I think Tina was a top 10 female singer all time all things considered somewhere between 7-10.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For Artists in Tina's generation, I don't think record sales are what propelled them early in their career. Their ability to fill a room on the Chitlin circuit and other small venues probably relied more on radio play than record sales. Now when their records crossed over to other genres then yeah record sales pushed them to new heights

I think if you're rating female singers why would you combine singing and dancing as one rating. That makes no sense. Vocal talent should be it's own rating. Stage Presence (which includes dancing, audience interaction and lets be honest, looks) would be a second stand alone rating. Everything else you talked about is about how the music industry works and not about the overall talent of the artists. And lets face it those metrics are very dependent on what label and artists is with over their career and these days what producers they get involved with.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
This performance on Playboy After Dark tho ...:ipod:

This Lady never mailed it in ...:yes:

:dance:

notreally

Rising Star
Registered

So...

If the counter narrative is that she was a "hoe", so what?

Does that justify getting your ass beat because your spouse's fans like you better?

I guess not beating the shit out of women as a sign of true manhood has become an "old school"
thing, like opening doors and rising when a lady leaves the table.

Forgive me. I am becoming a relic.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Judge joe brown told the truth about that bitch. Said she was a wicked bitch & gorilla pimp. Anytime they point the finger @ someone its usually the other person.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Either way.

Listen. Madonna was one of my first crushes. Yes, she brought the “kids” out in the 90’s. Hell, I went to see Material Girl at the theatre. The b!tch still…can’t…sing.

She lucky YOU can use her record sales for your Mt. Rushmore.

And I love Diana. Lord knows I do, but she was part of an overall brand at Motown. On just that point alone, I am kicking her out, too.

With that being said, the ONLY thing hotter than the Ike & Tina Review was James Brown.

James…Brown…Dude.

All respect to Ike as THE Father of Modern Rock and Roll, however, Tina was the singing/dancing.

Cultural significance speaks for itself.

And while record sales is a fair barometer in any conversation about greatness, it is not indicative of talent more so than marketing.