Woman arrrested after saving a cop from a wrecked squad car..

The Black HHH

Star
Registered
u must live in the uk

there are no good samaritan laws in the u.s.

i'll rephrase it then.

there's no law saying your going to jail for not saving someone.

there's a code of ethic but not a law....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue

Contrary to common law, eight states have laws requiring people to help strangers in peril: Florida, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
well i think its safe to say she got some justice for her pain even though its no excuse for the way they treated her, i don't know about not trusting cops there people like everyone else some are good some are bad just like everyone else is in life

creepin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And you already know what race she is.

Chicago and police officers lose case and $7.7 million for false arrest

A trained nurse, Rachelle Jackson immediately ran toward the sound of the crash. A Chicago police car had collided with another vehicle and was starting to smoke, two officers still inside. Fearing an explosion, she quickly pulled one officer from the passenger side.She never imagined her act of kindness nearly six years ago would land her in jail for more than 10 months on charges that she robbed, battered and disarmed a peace officer.

Jackson filed a lawsuit, and on Thursday a federal jury found against the city and several Chicago police officers, awarding Jackson $7.7 million for false arrest, malicious prosecution, coercive questioning and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

"I'm going to go home and lie down for a little bit," an ecstatic Jackson, 41, said after the verdict. "I feel relieved. I'm happy, and I'm thanking God."

The case began in November 2002, when a car ran a stop sign in Jackson's neighborhood, slamming into the squad car. Jackson was walking nearby and rushed to the scene. When she arrived, the officer behind the wheel was unconscious and the passenger, Officer Kelly Brogan, was dazed.

She pulled Brogan from the wreckage and helped her to a nearby stoop. Soon after, police approached Jackson and told her that the driver's weapon had been stolen. When she was asked to go to the police station for questioning, she thought it was as a witness to the accident.

Instead, Jackson was accused of the theft. She was held for two days with little food and water and was threatened with violence until she agreed to sign a statement police had prepared for her. She was then charged and spent more than 10 months in the Cook County Jail awaiting trial.

Her case was later thrown out by a Circuit Court judge. Jackson sued the city, Brogan and the two interrogation officers in 2003.

Defense attorney Andrew Hale said the amount the jury awarded Jackson was "excessive" and that he would file post-trial motions to have the amount reduced.

He also questioned Jackson's intentions when she pulled the officer from the car.

"The officer said [Jackson] came at her, tried to get her gun and put her in a full-Nelson hold," Hale said. "I'm disappointed the jury could think that would be a legitimate rescue technique."

But Jackson's attorneys said it was clear she was trying to help the officer, not harm her.

"This was an innocent woman who saved a police officer from a burning car," said Chris Smith, who tried the case with Dan Alexander. "There were many heroes out there who helped the police, but they all turned into suspects because some guy ran away with the gun."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-federal_jury_verdictjun13,0,4630555.story

She deserves every bit of that money and more. Why in the world would she stay at the scene if she took the gun? These D.A.'s and grand jury's are gullible as hell. :smh::smh::smh:

infamous-online

Star
Registered
they really need to start firing stupid ass incompetent ass pigs forreal. she's saving the man's life, and they say she tried to rob him? wtf? i bet when they searched her and her car, i bet they found nothing, and yet she still got locked for 10 months for fucking bullshit. glad she was compensated for her efforts, considering she could have left him there to die.

Gazoo

The Big Brain
Registered
I've always hated cops, but wondered if I would help one that was in trouble ...now I know my answer.

Barack Obama

Potential Star
Registered
Read about this...she is rightfully entitled to the money awarded to her. In addition, I am deeply ashamed this incident ocurred in my hometown.

Marculo

Potential Star
Registered
But you'll excuse the guns & violence, bitches & hoes, 'Niggas' & drugs they rap about right? You're not really so narrow minded I'm sure. You're only making an attempt in being controversial (I'm hoping). As much as we hate to admit it, not ALL cops are bad.

Put it this way...I trust cops about as much as I trust two brothers following me from the train station at 2 in the morning but I know who I'd want to see rolling by right about then. Damn shame. But that's how it is

:yes:

most these bgol niggas are under cover homo... :smh:

do u have any idea how many times u would get fucked in prison?
Do you know how bitchmade you sound? You going into prison expecting to get raped that says alot about how you view yourself. You sugar cookie niggas make me sick.

cbm_redux

Star
Registered
Dumbfucks, I doubt they arrested her because of race, they were just being assholes.

No, you're being the asshole, and a stupid one at that. Had a fat Polack come to the aid of the officer, they'd have given her an honorary police badge and posed for pictures with her in the Chicago Tribune.

itwazuntme

Star
Registered
At least now I know as being a nurse I won't be responding to shit like that...

As a fellow nurse, that would be considered unethical and could result in the suspension or even the revocation of your nursing license if reported. I hear you though, I've said it before, the entire police force nationwide, needs overhauled...A full Nelson? A choke hold? :smh: o.k., if Jackson wasn't trying to help, why was your white ass sitting on a stoop and not in the seat of a burning police car? Now she's bold because her ass is getting sued and won't be able to ever earn a full paycheck without jackson getting a piece. Too damn bad...you got your life, be thankful

ThaAnsa3

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
damn.

she should've let the pigs die. no amount of money can get you time lost back.....

You have a good point . . . but 7.7 mil is a lot of money, especially considering it was only 10 months. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, but there are people who have been sitting in prison for years for crimes they didn't commit. There have been others released from prison after having convictions overturned who never touched a cent. I think that kind of puts some perspective on it.

Damn, make you wonder it you see something should you help, video tape it, or contact your lawyer 1st.......:smh::smh:

The good new is she is $7.7 million better off now :yes::yes:

This is exactly why people are hesitant to help others in distress, like those bystanders where that old man got hit by a car in Hartford,CT. Never know when you'll be hit with a lawsuit...or arrested.

Who in their right mind would try to steal a gun from a cop, and stay on the scene the whole time? And the cop who said that she tried to put put her in a "full Nelson" should be glad someone helped her. If someone pulled me from a smoking wreckage I'd be grateful even if it was "rough".

I know. I always used to be the first one to try to help whenever I saw someone in trouble. You think I still do that sh*t? HELL NO!!!