Will Chris Rock be remembered as the ultimate coon? Antonio Moore goes in

Mr.Mojo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Does the wealth tone says blacks and brown folk have translate into power to effect change on a fundamental level? It's obvious the answer is no.

hes looking for reparations which will individually be significantly less than the wealth accumulated by wealthy blacks and brown folks ..handed out by the same people oppressing you.

He using Chris rock name for views.

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
I’ve never seen a Chris Rock stand up.
Every small clip I would see of him was always Black jokes for white people.
Always seemed like the white crowd was laughing at us and not with us with Chris Rock jokes.
Never understood the hype of him.
I felt the same way about Dave Chappelle until I actually watched the Chappell show​

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Chris Rock has always been more hostile to black people than Bill Cosby ever was (with less known positives to offset the negativity).

He's extremely smart and one of the best comedians of all time IMO. I wouldn't call him a "coon," which is so overused and all-encompassing. He's not Jessie Lee Peterson or Candace Owens. But he does have a strong anti-black streak, at least in some of his material.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
I’ve never seen a Chris Rock stand up.
Every small clip I would see of him was always Black jokes for white people.
Always seemed like the white crowd was laughing at us and not with us with Chris Rock jokes.
Never understood the hype of him.
I felt the same way about Dave Chappelle until I actually watched the Chappell show​

Bigger & Blacker was performed at the Apollo with plenty of black people in the audience.

Maybe the moral of the story is not to judge that which you haven't fairly observed.

There are plenty of anti-black or self-hating black people out there, you don't need a white audience for that. Rock certainly has a lot of black fans.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Chris Rock has always been more hostile to black people than Bill Cosby ever was (with less known positives to offset the negativity).

He's extremely smart and one of the best comedians of all time IMO. I wouldn't call him a "coon," which is so overused and all-encompassing. He's not Jessie Lee Peterson or Candace Owens. But he does have a strong anti-black streak, at least in some of his material.
this is one of those instances where social mores and attitudes have changed and now what was funny as fuck 20 years ago is horrible today...

Chris Rock's career was MADE EXACTLY ON THOSE STAND-UP BITS and BLACK PEOPLE...WE LAFFED OUR ASSES OFF AT THE TIME...

in fact I'm going to say that ANYONE talking smack about those bits today is fucking LYING...YOU ALL LAFFED AT THAT SHIT AND REPEATED IT THE NEXT DAY....ALL OF YOU...YEAH YOU TOO reading this post right now...If you saw that shit first run....YOU LAFFED.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
this is one of those instances where social mores and attitudes have changed and now what was funny as fuck 20 years ago is horrible today...

Chris Rock's career was MADE EXACTLY ON THOSE STAND-UP BITS and BLACK PEOPLE...WE LAFFED OUR ASSES OFF AT THE TIME...

in fact I'm going to say that ANYONE talking smack about those bits today is fucking LYING...YOU ALL LAFFED AT THAT SHIT AND REPEATED IT THE NEXT DAY....ALL OF YOU...YEAH YOU TOO reading this post right now...If you saw that shit first run....YOU LAFFED.

I have posts about a decade old if not older harshly criticizing that material. The world may be catching up but some people knew that shit was wrong at the time.

You're right that the majority was fine with it and that times have changed. But you overstate your case.

Sloboogie

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wait a moment.

So this fool went back in time, to find data that was relevant for 2004 and apply 2020 logic and data to prove that Chris Rock did not know what he was talking about?

Oprah was worth about 1.2 billion in 2004
Oprah is worth about 2.6 billion in 2020

Meaning she's made about 87 million in 16 years, equaling roughly 5.5 million a year.

She's rich, but her money isn't generating at the rate you'd expect for her to have so much money, which is an indicator that she just does not really spend much. Problem, is that if she DID get "spendy" (at this rate) her finances would eventually suffer.

Sidenote: I have NO idea what I'm talking about at the moment. I stayed at a Holiday Inn and had a vegetable plate (so I'm feeling knowledgeable in this topic at the moment). No I'm bout to go change a transmission in somebody car...

#jokes

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have posts about a decade old if not older harshly criticizing that material. The world may be catching up but some people knew that shit was wrong at the time.

You're right that the majority was fine with it and that times have changed. But you overstate your case.

oh...please post the threads...cuz I've searched two about rock from 2008 and 2009 and you weren't in those and NO ONE in those threads took issue with any bits he had.....not one.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
searching the archives this post from 2014 is most critical of that blacks vs niggas bit from rock but the rest of the thread says nothing about his being a coon for saying it.

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:
i have always maintained that, that ****** vs niggas joke that Chris did was one of those jokes that while funny, at the same time, created an entry point for cacs to juxtapose their racist views using a black man as the crutch for it. now while a lot of people may say,"well he did speak the truth, aint no sense in faulting the brother for that", to that i say, true, but look at the unintended consequence.
same with the whole use of the N word. when to use it, when not to use it, who's to use it, who's not to use it, what context to use it in, what context not to use it in etc etc
as long as we as a black community cannot reach a general consensus on either issue and put forth a strong statement, one backed with a unified front, cacs will continue to exploit us using these divide and conquer tactics and there is nothing we can do about it. that is how they have always manipulated us anyways.
my two cents, take it or leave it

Lou_Kayge

Rising Star
Registered

What Cosby and Rock both have in common were they're both high school dropouts from the hood who made it. They may look at other hood folks and think,"Shit!,I made it out...."

kogalee-muhammad

Rising Star
Registered
The Honorable Elijah Muhammad told me that the year 2020 will be the year that ALL coons and possums WILL to be exposed for the frodds they are! :yes:

Allah demands the devil will cut the goddamn check!

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
oh...please post the threads...cuz I've searched two about rock from 2008 and 2009 and you weren't in those and NO ONE in those threads took issue with any bits he had.....not one.

I didn't participate in either of those discussions. However, I told you directly eleven years ago that I had thought "black people vs. niggas" was stupid "for a long time."

As I said, you overstate your case.

don't forget..chris rock also regretting doing the black people vs. niggas joke..
I've thought that was stupid for a long time... When/where did he say he regretted it?

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
I thought this thread was about when Chris, Seinfeld and Louis CK were all sitting together and CK said nigga....no Chris aint a coon for the rich vs wealthy thing and he apologized for the Black people vs niggas thing, pretty much using the same rationale that Chappelle had for Chappelle show ...I didn't like the optics of him sitting there when CK said nigga although I understood the comedian perspective that it was done under

Chris Rock initial fan base was blacker than Chappelle initial fan base

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Geez.
Cats got nothing better to do with their "down" time but to complain about an old Chris Rock comedy routine

Can you imagine what these, so called "woke/enlightened" negroes would've said about this motherfucker if Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or YouTube was around in the '60's or '70's....?

:smh:

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
OP ALWAYS starts these threads and laughs

as we discuss this BULLSHIT and he won't

even jump into the discussion. He's like

his fat daddy, trump... divide and start shit,

then sit back while chaos ensues.

His silence speaks volumes. :hmm:

FLoss

“You better learn to work with the illegals nigga”
BGOL Investor
people still listen to mushmouth and square jaw? he still running around saying, "imma nemmy nominated pa-doo-tha" :roflmao2:

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
OP @Mr. Met got any commentary? What are your thoughts on this?

What’s most glaring about this critique of Chris Rock is how Antonio, the man who had no problem linking with goofy Tariq, highlights Rock’s bad use of grammar and limited education to take him down.

As for Chris Rock, he does have a little Cosby in his comedy.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't participate in either of those discussions. However, I told you directly eleven years ago that I had thought "black people vs. niggas" was stupid "for a long time."

As I said, you overstate your case.
okay...point proved for you.....but you got cats on the board that want to jump on the LETS CALL SOMEBODY A COON TRAIN...when they DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM with that shit when it FIRST happened so many moons ago. All I ask is that people BE CONSISTENT...

If you all liked that shit then... then don't give a dissertation on how its oh so bad NOW.

Last edited:

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
okay...point proved for you.....but you got cats on the board that want to jump on the LETS CALL SOMEBODY A COON TRAIN...when they DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM with that shit when it FIRST happened so many moons ago. All I ask is that people BE CONSISTENT...

If you all like that shit then... then don't give a dissertation on how its oh so bad NOW.

Be better > Be consistent.

If people grow, I think that's great. They should also judge and denounce their previous selves every bit as harshly.

KA$H

GoldMember
BGOL Investor
A joke from 16 years ago, hmmmmm....

At the time Chris might've had a point, those people were rich then on their way to being wealthy today. You can't really use 2020 goggles to dissect some 2004 shit. Also; the line has been moved so far back as to what is "appropriate" to say in comedy that it is also not fair to judge shit by today's standards. Sheeeeeiiiitttt, honestly; the whole point of comedy is to be inappropriate, so if anything those jokes, deemed inappropriate (comedy period, not what Chris said), should be funnier.
:dunno:

daTiger

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wait a moment.

So this fool went back in time, to find data that was relevant for 2004 and apply 2020 logic and data to prove that Chris Rock did not know what he was talking about?

Oprah was worth about 1.2 billion in 2004
Oprah is worth about 2.6 billion in 2020

Meaning she's made about 87 million in 16 years, equaling roughly 5.5 million a year.

She's rich, but her money isn't generating at the rate you'd expect for her to have so much money, which is an indicator that she just does not really spend much. Problem, is that if she DID get "spendy" (at this rate) her finances would eventually suffer.

Sidenote: I have NO idea what I'm talking about at the moment. I stayed at a Holiday Inn and had a vegetable plate (so I'm feeling knowledgeable in this topic at the moment). No I'm bout to go change a transmission in somebody car...

#jokes

Bruh, your math is a little off.

HeathCliff

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What’s most glaring about this critique of Chris Rock is how Antonio, the man who had no problem linking with goofy Tariq, highlights Rock’s bad use of grammar and limited education to take him down.

As for Chris Rock, he does have a little Cosby in his comedy.
Fair enough