Will Chris Rock be remembered as the ultimate coon? Antonio Moore goes in

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Be better > Be consistent.

If people grow, I think that's great. They should also judge and denounce their previous selves every bit as harshly.

True but to be better means allowing others to grow as well.

Taking issue with a bit from 1999 in 2020 while ignoring anything that mans done in the last 5 years...especially after he's already admitted regret for that thing and hasn't done anything like that since. That's not being better that's just virtue signalling plain and simple.

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
Bigger & Blacker was performed at the Apollo with plenty of black people in the audience.

Maybe the moral of the story is not to judge that which you haven't fairly observed.

There are plenty of anti-black or self-hating black people out there, you don't need a white audience for that. Rock certainly has a lot of black fans.

Nowhere did I say the audience was white.
I said “Black jokes for white people”.
The color of the crowd is irrelevant.
Like Kendrick Lamar makes Black music for Black people, but his crowd would be 90% white.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm just saying if folks had the talent

To put them in a position to so called sell out.. With a. Hundred million plus dollar bag

They would so called sell out with the quickness

Im not saying Chris rock is or isn't selling out

I'm just saying...

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Really.................. anyone with half a working brain can understand and read between the lines to what Chris Rock meant BOTH times.
Tell that New NIGGAH to SHUT THE FUCK UP and go (croteek) someone else!
Yeah Chris had one of the all time great analogies that really hit home

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Like Kendrick Lamar makes Black music for Black people, but his crowd would be 90% white.
That not how it was perceived at the time....in fact, Rocks stand up was considered the most REALEST pro-black material from a comic at that time. Depending on how old you are you wouldn't know that.

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
That not how it was perceived at the time....in fact, Rocks stand up was considered the most REALEST pro-black material from a comic at that time. Depending on how old you are you wouldn't know that.

I was old enough to disagree with that.​

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I was old enough to disagree with that.​
and how old is that??
bring the pain 1996
bigger blacker 1999
never scared 2004

during that period NO ONE questioned rocks blackness... there may have been some who weren't comfortable with his material but no one with any platform was questioning his black bonafides.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered

Who draws a primarily black crowd while performing for white people?

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered

Not just at the time-- EVER. Black comedy icon. He clearly held the throne in the 90s after Eddie Murphy in the 80s. The dude made a documentary defending black women against the concept they don't have good hair and armchair critics call him a coon or even claim he was performing for white people. It's just absurd.

True but to be better means allowing others to grow as well.

Taking issue with a bit from 1999 in 2020 while ignoring anything that mans done in the last 5 years...especially after he's already admitted regret for that thing and hasn't done anything like that since. That's not being better that's just virtue signalling plain and simple.

You're being too extreme. It is flawed but it is not always "just virtue signalling." Sometimes people are hypocrites because they don't understand their own failings. Or they, like most people, are quicker to cast stones than to self-assess. Not everyone is even aware he admitted regret.

It is indisputable that it is possible to be better without allowing others to grow as well. Better is not best.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Bigger & Blacker was performed at the Apollo with plenty of black people in the audience.
Who draws a primarily black crowd while performing for white people?

This too damn easy...

Coons!​

Name names.

I need a concrete example of someone on a stage with a black audience who is supposedly performing for white people.

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
Name names.

I need a concrete example of someone on a stage with a black audience who is supposedly performing for white people.

:confused:
The nigga that we’re talking about.
Chris Rock.

The joke about “I hate niggas”. “I wish I can join the KKK to kill niggas”.
We all know what he means because we all hate ignorant people. It’s the way he tried to execute that corny ass joke that was poor taste.
I can see rednecks slapping their knees in laughter, exposing all 4 of their teeth after hearing that joke.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

:confused:
The nigga that we’re talking about.
Chris Rock.

The joke about “I hate niggas”. “I wish I can join the KKK to kill niggas”.
We all know what he means because we all hate ignorant people. It’s the way he tried to execute that corny ass joke that was poor taste.
I can see rednecks slapping their knees in laughter, exposing all 4 of their teeth after hearing that joke.
he didn't TRY to execute anything he did execute it and black people LAUGHED...because we understood it in the same manner you just explained....there was no "oh Chris said a no-no in front of the white folks!" He said it...WE ALL UNDERSTOOD IT and LAUGHED IN AGREEMENT IN 1999...and moved on.

NOW some 20 years later cats wanna make an issue of it....why? because it wasn't PC speech?? Because he said it in front of white people??

its ridiculous and you know it is :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

You're being too extreme. It is flawed but it is not always "just virtue signalling." Sometimes people are hypocrites because they don't understand their own failings. Or they, like most people, are quicker to cast stones than to self-assess. Not everyone is even aware he admitted regret.

It is indisputable that it is possible to be better without allowing others to grow as well. Better is not best.
Naw homie...when you're talking about trying to get someone canceled or some kind of backlash then you're threatening their career and if you're doing that then you have to get it right. If the person making the accusation can be "flawed" in their approach then the person theyre making the accusation against can be flawed in what and how they did the offending thing and in that case then what's the point?? Considering the source of the complaint I'm inclined to call it what it is....bullshit.

Whats the difference between this and the backlash Kevin Hart got with gays over comments he said 10 years earlier... apologized for at that time and never said anything like that since...yet they caused him to lose a job hosting the Oscars ten years after the fact...hows this any different?

There are good reasons for cancel culture but the shit can turn into a circular firing squad quickly and much of it driven by the content-hungry/attention whoring of social media. When these cats "job" is to have opinions and grievances about shit...that means when you run out of LEGITIMATE issues to have a grievance over then much like the asshole kid in the back of the class with a straw and spitball you just pick a fight...shit you gotta sell SOMETHING and have some kind of click content...right?

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
he didn't TRY to execute anything he did execute it and black people LAUGHED...because we understood it in the same manner you just explained....there was no "oh Chris said a no-no in front of the white folks!" He said it...WE ALL UNDERSTOOD IT and LAUGHED IN AGREEMENT IN 1999...and moved on.

NOW some 20 years later cats wanna make an issue of it....why? because it wasn't PC speech?? Because he said it in front of white people??

its ridiculous and you know it is :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

20 years later?!
Jokes like that are the reason I never watched a single Chris Rock stand up from day one.
Back in 1999 I was saying this nigga was a coon, cooning for whitey on stage.​

theteacher

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well. What Chris Rock is saying is this I guess.
When Oprah passes on.
Who will her fortune go to?
She's not married,
she has no kids.
Will her family continue the legacy and build on to her empire?
That's What I think he is referring too.​

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

20 years later?!
Jokes like that are the reason I never watched a single Chris Rock stand up from day one.
Back in 1999 I was saying this nigga was a coon, cooning for whitey on stage.​
well I have no way of disproving that but regardless...to make an issue of it NOW is just bandwagon jumping... and if that's the criteria for cancelling chris rock then cancel pretty much every black comedian of the last 40 years. Cuz I guarantee you than almost every single one of them has said shit like that or along those lines at some point before now.

d_the_inc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’ve never seen a Chris Rock stand up.
Every small clip I would see of him was always Black jokes for white people.
Always seemed like the white crowd was laughing at us and not with us with Chris Rock jokes.
Never understood the hype of him.
I felt the same way about Dave Chappelle until I actually watched the Chappell show​

I suggest you watch a full set them comment. He's balanced. I don't even consider his set comedy...it's social commentary.

Solomon

Lifetime Member
Platinum Member
I haven't read all the comments, but I have seen all the Chris Rock stand ups that are being referred to. In the Oprah joke, he was comparing her being rich to Bill Gates being wealthy. One of the punch lines was that if Bill Gates woke up with Oprah's money, he'd jump out the window and slit is wrist on the way down. I feel like he was just pointing out the disparity that even the richest of us are only fractionally as rich as them. He basically made the same premise when he said that he lived in a neighborhood with Mary J. Blige and some other black celebrities, but his white neighbor was just a regular dentist.

I feel like the N****s vs. Black People joke was definitely for us because we know the difference. I feel like other races don't really distinguish between the 2 so the joke wasn't meant for them to get it. Rock addressed this in some interview saying that he told that joke in DC, a city with a very high Black population. D. L. Hughley told a joke with a similar premise by saying that he knew some very upstanding African-American men but he also knew some N****s. Then he went on to say that if some stuff were to go down after the show, he was calling the N****s.

Bottom line, I think most of Rock's comedy is more intellectual than most. I don't feel like anything that were in those stand ups were him cooning for anyone. That's just my personal opinion.

Mr.Chuckles

Chuckle
BGOL Investor
Well. What Chris Rock is saying is this I guess.
When Oprah passes on.
Who will her fortune go to?
She's not married,
she has no kids.
Will her family continue the legacy and build on to her empire?
That's What I think he is referring too.​
You're right, I forget the type of Humor this falls under but George Carlin did this ALLOT in his stand up with white people making a joke on the front end but also provoking them to think about what they just laughed at on the back end.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
I never thought Rock was particularly funny and about half of his material is questionable insofar as coonery goes.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I never thought Rock was particularly funny and about half of his material is questionable insofar as coonery goes.
fuck that....fuck going back 10 20 30 years into someone's history and taking issue with some shit they admit now was ill or off...

WHAT COMEDIAN TODAY DOING SHOWS NOW NEEDS TO BE CHECKED FOR SOME ILL SHIT....don't wait until 10 years from now to complain speak on it NOW..

Isn't that the biggest issue people have with me too..chicks keep waiting until 25 years later to say something.... this thing with chris rock is just like that.

theteacher

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're right, I forget the type of Humor this falls under but George Carlin did this ALLOT in his stand up with white people making a joke on the front end but also provoking them to think about what they just laughed at on the back end.
Also, She's first generational wealth.
So, where is all that money gonna go?
She's probably the type to have NO WILL!​

Leatherf7ce

Phantom of the Chakras
BGOL Investor
He sat there like a bitch during this shit too

gtg305h

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Tone talks stay mad at everything, shit is so corny now, it’s sad...at least Yvette Carnell is fairly down to earth, this Tone dude needs some heart pills or something, stressed out ass nigga

brando154110

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wait a moment.

So this fool went back in time, to find data that was relevant for 2004 and apply 2020 logic and data to prove that Chris Rock did not know what he was talking about?

Oprah was worth about 1.2 billion in 2004
Oprah is worth about 2.6 billion in 2020

Meaning she's made about 87 million in 16 years, equaling roughly 5.5 million a year.

She's rich, but her money isn't generating at the rate you'd expect for her to have so much money, which is an indicator that she just does not really spend much. Problem, is that if she DID get "spendy" (at this rate) her finances would eventually suffer.

Sidenote: I have NO idea what I'm talking about at the moment. I stayed at a Holiday Inn and had a vegetable plate (so I'm feeling knowledgeable in this topic at the moment). No I'm bout to go change a transmission in somebody car...

#jokes
[/QUOTEPlease go back and do that math over.

1.2 billion in 2004
2.6 billion in 2020

Meaning she's made 1.4 billion in 16 years, equaling roughly 870 million a year.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
fuck that....fuck going back 10 20 30 years into someone's history and taking issue with some shit they admit now was ill or off...

WHAT COMEDIAN TODAY DOING SHOWS NOW NEEDS TO BE CHECKED FOR SOME ILL SHIT....don't wait until 10 years from now to complain speak on it NOW..

Isn't that the biggest issue people have with me too..chicks keep waiting until 25 years later to say something.... this thing with chris rock is just like that.

Uh, where did I say my comment was time-based?

That's your inference, not my implication. Get it right.