Why Isn’t Sony Doing More to Promote ‘Proud Mary’ and Taraji P. Henson?

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The action flick’s trailer caused a major stir online, but the studio is refusing to screen the movie for critics and promo has been seriously lacking. Taraji deserves far better.

Proud Mary might not be that proud after all.

The Taraji P. Henson-starrer was one of the year’s most anticipated films when the trailer dropped last year. Henson’s turn as Mary, a hitwoman working for an organized crime family in Boston, seemed like the black response to Atomic Blondethat is until this year rolled around, where it seems like Sony and Screen Gems have completely dropped the ball on promoting it.

Proud Mary is out this Friday, and social media has been flooded not with excitement for the film but confusion as to why it’s not being pushed harder. Is it a case of a studio underselling a black film, as is customary in Hollywood? Or does Sony want to hide the fact that the film might not be very good?

It’s not screening for critics this week, so don’t expect any advance reviews of Proud Mary. Furthermore, critics attending the film’s press junket weren’t allowed to screen the film first, so interviews with Taraji will have to remain vague as it’s a little hard to discuss a film that you haven’t seen yet with an actress.

Henson herself has even voiced frustration with the promotion of the film.

In a pre-Christmas interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Henson said she’s been “begging and pleading my connections and doing whatever I can to make this movie the best it can be. I don’t just put my name on stuff just to say it; I get down and dirty. [Studios] never expect [black films] to do well overseas. Meanwhile, you go overseas and what do you see? People trying to look like African-Americans with Afros and dressing in hip-hop fashions. To say that black culture doesn’t sell well overseas, that’s a lie. Somebody just doesn’t want to do their job and promote the film overseas. Do you not have people streaming my Christmas specials in Australia? Come on, y’all! I don’t understand the thinking. Send me over there, and if it fails, then we don’t do it again, but why not try? If I knew this movie was gonna make money domestically, I would try to get more money overseas. It’s business!”

Traditionally, Hollywood has blamed lack of interest in black films overseas as the reason why they don’t promote them there. But just last year, Get Out raked in big money overseas—as did Hidden Figuresthe year before—and historically, films like Coming to America, Beverly Hills Cop 2, Independence Day, and Bad Boys 2 have, too. If anything, it’s a systemic problem of assuming black films undersell in America and in turn, fail overseas. Henson starred in Hidden Figures and her television drama Empire screens internationally, so why not develop her into a burgeoning international box-office star?

Shadow22

Rising Star
Registered
Saw her do an interview via satellite with the local news. Got the movie poster. I will pick up the 4k blu ray.

KrafMatik

Rising Star
Registered
The movie theater in go to has 22 screens and Proud Mary is only playing on one of them this weekend.....not good.

MonkeyBizness

Man of the People
Registered
I've seen the trailer plenty.

Typically if a studio doesn't make a film available for previews that means the movie sucks and they are trying to minimize damage to box office receipts. Better to go see the film and find out it sucks than hearing it sucks from a blog and not seeing it at all.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I've been seeing the trailer a lot lately. Honestly though, nobody's going to the movies to see this. NOBODY. Not even sure if I watch this on the fire stick. :smh:

PUkr0y.jpg

THE GRANDJURY

Rising Star
Registered
I've seen the trailer daily, and I'm in the Los Angeles market. Just can't imagine Cookie playing that character. I'm supposed to believe she can all of a sudden can play a killing action hero. Movies looks garbage anyway. Doubt I'll watch it ever.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Films released in early January are never really good and a lot of them are probably written off before they are released. I'm going to see it but I'm not expecting much.

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
I thought the trailer had a good song for it, good editing, colorful photography too. There is some VERY good looking 2nd unit work in that trailer. The gunplay looks good enough and she looks like she was trained to handle her shit right. She firing that MPK right.

edit: Lets not forget how Taraji got down for Smoking Aces!!

The trailer wasn't the best but it was eye catching and I haven't seen ANYTHING on TV or even YouTube ads promoting it. They maybe didn't have the budget for promotions. Moreover, its a January release and that is a death kneel for the flick before it even comes out. This aint East wood and there aint a true story tag applied to it.

Feb is a good month now thanks to Deadpool but I dunno about this.

Imo take wifey and we gonna support it tho.

oNE

Last edited:

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
How would know from where we're all.sitting?

We don't know the budget, any of the key people involved in any aspect of production, who don't like who, who's stepped on who's toes, who.writes what checks, etc...

Happens to more movies than it doesn't. Thats life.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've been seeing the commercials on TV constantly the past two weeks, but I'm in the biggest market :dunno:

No press screening? :smh:

Yeah I've see a lot of of trailers as well so they have been promoting it that way.

Seems like I see the trailer daily. For real, for real, I like Taraji but she doesn't strike me as a believable action hero.

I'm seeing the trailer a couple of times a day. I hope it does well but I have some doubts.

That damn movie commercial been running every hour on the hour.

Where I live commercials run all the time on the radio and TV for the movie.

I'm in Charlotte NC

I've seen this trailer several times and honestly it looks kind of wack. Maybe thats why they aren't allowing any advanced screening.

I've seen the trailer plenty.

Typically if a studio doesn't make a film available for previews that means the movie sucks and they are trying to minimize damage to box office receipts. Better to go see the film and find out it sucks than hearing it sucks from a blog and not seeing it at all.

I've seen the trailer daily, and I'm in the Los Angeles market. Just can't imagine Cookie playing that character. I'm supposed to believe she can all of a sudden can play a killing action hero. Movies looks garbage anyway. Doubt I'll watch it ever.

Seen the commercial a lot :dunno:

I see the trailer often. It doesn't look good.

i've been seeing the trailer two three timesa day

Agree with all regarding seeing the trailer all the time. I see that movie advertised more than any movie out or coming out.

Maybe it depends on what shows the OP watches and reaching a specific demographic ? :dunno: