Why have Black Americans (AA's) remained in the U.S. for so long?

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Question that I thought about due to reading the thread below about the housing racism in Atlanta.

http://www.bgol.us/forum/index.php?...e-atl-learn-about-racism-the-hard-way.895471/

Why haven't some black people moved to different countries for better opportunities i.e. (England, France, Holland, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Japan, etc.)?

For example, many black people from the Caribbean, Africa, South America, etc. come to America for a new start. Why haven't some of us left this country due to the historical racism specifically towards BLACK AMERICANS?

I'd like to hear some of the board's thoughts on this.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
I plan to get out of here someday.

I have a few friends who all lived outside the country for years since graduating high school and a few still do. These are guys I didn't expect to make such a move but they did it.

I'd like to see more African Americans with dual citizenship in other countries.

I think a lot of the hold up is propaganda. You know how it goes, "Every country outside of America is extremely dangerous. So don't go there for long." "America is the best place on earth." Etc

But I find the more I travel the more opportunity I see for growth, expansion. People are comfortable here. There was a discussion not too long ago I believe someone mentioned immigrants moving to U.S. and Canada and how they are still able to qualify for Affirmative action jobs despite already out earning locals. The idea was brought up that moving to another country creates a hardship. A hardship that forces you to be more resilient in order to survive in a foreign country and that's why some immigrants tend to outperform locals who've been here all their lives.

I think the same could happen in reverse for us leaving here.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
America is more Black than anywhere other than Africa. If not for US this country would be like Russia. We built this piece of shit.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
And go where? You just said it. Black people from other countries leave theirs to come here for a new start. Things aren't sweet in those other countries.

plus we built this bitch THEY need to leave not us we got every right to it and we should fight for those rights.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Believe me when I tell you as bad as it is here in other countries it's worse. What people don't seem to realize is white people are okay with a few black people, but let there be an increase in the amount and watch things change real fast. That's not a problem in Afrika, but unfortunately the crime, lack of infrastructure and health care is very troubling for someone raised in the US.

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
I been having this conversation with my family lately. For me the basis of the conversation is two age old concepts. The first.....a seed can only produce certain fruit.....and the second....the strongest position you can take in a relationship is being willing to walk away.

While I can understand the "blood soaked bricks" approach.....this country was conceived and built on the idea of our blood for their bricks and no fucks given. Thats the seed. Look around and see the fruit.

As far as leaving.....we make up something like a Trillion dollars of the annual spending in this country. That alone would be leverage if we ever got on the same page as a people about leaving. Beyond that though...America has gotten rich(er) by exporting our culture around the world. If we took that from them, it would hurt. Raise our best and brightest with a global mindset and encourage them to be citizens of the world.

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
And go where? You just said it. Black people from other countries leave theirs to come here for a new start. Things aren't sweet in those other countries.

plus we built this bitch THEY need to leave not us we got every right to it and we should fight for those rights.

Go everywhere. Its a big world. I think its a misstep in the logic to think of it as all of us going to one place. I think of it more as spreading out....all over....find the places that work for what u want to do and keep your people informed.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Go everywhere. Its a big world. I think its a misstep in the logic to think of it as all of us going to one place. I think of it more as spreading out....all over....find the places that work for what u want to do and keep your people informed.

i travel. im not talking about traveling and seeing the world im a firm believer in that.
i am saying we have rights to this land. we shouldn't give up those rights and let them benefit from the shit that our ancestors did. that's how i feel about it.

King Natty

Rising Star
Registered
I'd like to get dual citizenship one day but I love my people too much to leave for good. I mean I love Black people
all around the world but I need to be around AA's

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I been having this conversation with my family lately. For me the basis of the conversation is two age old concepts. The first.....a seed can only produce certain fruit.....and the second....the strongest position you can take in a relationship is being willing to walk away.

While I can understand the "blood soaked bricks" approach.....this country was conceived and built on the idea of our blood for their bricks and no fucks given. Thats the seed. Look around and see the fruit.

As far as leaving.....we make up something like a Trillion dollars of the annual spending in this country. That alone would be leverage if we ever got on the same page as a people about leaving. Beyond that though...America has gotten rich(er) by exporting our culture around the world. If we took that from them, it would hurt. Raise our best and brightest with a global mindset and encourage them to be citizens of the world.

we need to control our own image from our own homes. get on the same page and take this piece of shit over.

if we can do it on another continent we can do it on this one.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
If you read that article closely it's extremely flawed.

There's talk about depreciation and there's also talk about appreciation of property value. You'd have to look at the model neighborhood they used when even writing the article, then look at the difference between that and the places where people HAVE experienced appreciation.

As far as your bigger question, it really lacks historical and global context.

We live in a global society and economy. Moving somewhere else is only moving the problem somewhere else.

And as for somewhere else, observe and tell us where Black Americans or any black people would be doing better?

And people HAVE left and gone other places. Have you not met any and checked on their progress?

I found it strange when I read about Black Americans being able to go to Haiti in the 1800s just after their revolution and BEFORE the emancipation proclamation here. Most of them came BACK lol.

People have problems everywhere. You're supposed to confront your problems and fix them, not run away to be a part of a place someone else built.

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
....'cause WE BUILT THIS SHIT, blood soaked bricks....

Yea and what has that got us COLLECTIVELY as a people?

I understand the concept of we built this country. But many of our people are still economically disenfranchised and terrorized by the police/white supremacy.

Why not go somewhere else where their could be a change of pace?

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I'm speaking more specifically on poor and disenfranchised blacks. Like you have multi ge nerations of black people in poverty all the way up to today in 2016. Why not try somewhere else?

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Like I just thought of something. Why aren't there american black owned soul food restaurants in Europe and Asia and even South America similar to Chinese restaurants in America.

Our culture is heavily exported by others, why not start make money on our own promoting our own food and culture?

Last edited:

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Believe me when I tell you as bad as it is here in other countries it's worse. What people don't seem to realize is white people are okay with a few black people, but let there be an increase in the amount and watch things change real fast. That's not a problem in Afrika, but unfortunately the crime, lack of infrastructure and health care is very troubling for someone raised in the US.
Exactly.

People get happy cuz people in some other country love that black American swag - but as soon as you decide to STAY, you notice "oh hey, they had a ghetto in Paris and there are Black people in it. Oh look, they have negative terms for us even here in Japan. "

Look, everybody is cool with the OTHER until they show up in large numbers and actually want a day in how shit is run around there.

Black people in America are not just sitting around working for people and going with the status quo. We have people who wanna be senators, reps, mayors, councilmen, CEOs, upper management, PRESIDENT.

Go to England and ask yourself when would they even pretend to nominate a Black guy for anything close to prime minister. And European or Asian country. Or Arab. We JUST got some brown people in positions of power in the Carribean. Sheeeyit. We're under no illusions here.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I understand the concept of we built this country. But many of our people are still economically disenfranchised and terrorized by the police/white supremacy.

Ok, where do you want us to go? Name some places....

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I'm speaking more specifically on poor and disenfranchised blacks. Like you have multi ge nerations of black people in poverty all the way up to today in 2016. Why not try somewhere else?

well that's different.
poor and disenfranchised blacks DEFINITELY have nowhere else to go
poor people come here under asylum. racism is working the way it's supposed to so you not going to go to the uk or some other shit under asylum from the u.s. and get the perks and benefits to start over fresh.
they the ones who really have no choice. just like the poor people in other countries way worse than us that stay

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i travel. im not talking about traveling and seeing the world im a firm believer in that.
i am saying we have rights to this land. we shouldn't give up those rights and let them benefit from the shit that our ancestors did. that's how i feel about it.

I must've missed this part of American History...Exactly what legal rights do black people collectively have to this land here in America?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

its got us PLENTY of places and opportunities we're being attacked bro. lol. if we were being left alone all the dreams of togetherness would come true.
attacked with the police
attacked with drugs pumped into the community
attacked with unfair housing practices and predatory loans.
attacked with media imagery

white supremacy is hard fucking work. it is a full time job. don't let anybody fool you into thinking they aren't working hard to keep things the way they are. this shit hasn't been on autopilot since they fucked up and left us along during the 50's and 60's

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
This analogy will sound fucked up....but think about this. If you go kidnap 5 Mexican kids and make them build some buildings on your property....then you release those kids, not because they escaped or rose up, but because you made a calculated political decision to do so......as fucked up as you are for doing that shit, them kids aint never gonna inherit those buildings. Your children will.

Of course this is a loose analogy but I think you can get what I'm saying.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I must've missed this part of American History...Exactly what legal rights do black people collectively have to this land here in America?

we have the right to own land legally which means we have the right to pool our money together and buy whatever the hell we want including our own cities and towns if we actually wanted to do it. they couldn't stop us. only we can stop us.

whites don't have rights to the land either. the only people who have rights to this land are native americans. actual rights.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Like I just thought of something. Why aren't their american black owned soul food restaurants in Europe and Asia and even South America similar to Chinese restaurants in America.

Our culture is heavily exported by others, why not start make money on our own promoting our own food and culture?

because we aren't getting grants from their governments to come there and open up those shops in european/asian and south american communities
PERIOD.

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
we have the right to own land legally which means we have the right to pool our money together and buy whatever the hell we want including our own cities and towns if we actually wanted to do it. they couldn't stop us. only we can stop us.

whites don't have rights to the land either. the only people who have rights to this land are native americans. actual rights.

2 things.

One....we have done that. And when we get our shit poppin they come in and burn it down then put new policies in place to make it harder for us to do so again. This is true historically.

Two....the group writing the laws has the rights....pernt blank period. Euros did a lot of fuck shit in acquiring the land from the Natives....but at the end of the day, they acquired it, held it, then rewrote the rules in their favor to ensure they keep it. This is the lay of the land as it is....not as it should be.

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you read that article closely it's extremely flawed.

There's talk about depreciation and there's also talk about appreciation of property value. You'd have to look at the model neighborhood they used when even writing the article, then look at the difference between that and the places where people HAVE experienced appreciation.

As far as your bigger question, it really lacks historical and global context.

We live in a global society and economy. Moving somewhere else is only moving the problem somewhere else.

And as for somewhere else, observe and tell us where Black Americans or any black people would be doing better?

And people HAVE left and gone other places. Have you not met any and checked on their progress?

I found it strange when I read about Black Americans being able to go to Haiti in the 1800s just after their revolution and BEFORE the emancipation proclamation here. Most of them came BACK lol.

People have problems everywhere. You're supposed to confront your problems and fix them, not run away to be a part of a place someone else built.

I understand us having problems. But in many parts of this country, we've been having the same kinds of problems since the end of slavery (More than 150 yrs ago). I'm not saying that every black man, woman, and child up and leave. I'm saying maybe some new frontiers are possible for black americans overseas in other nations, especially blacks that have been systemically disenfranchised generationally for decades.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
2 things.

One....we have done that. And when we get our shit poppin they come in and burn it down then put new policies in place to make it harder for us to do so again. This is true historically.

Two....the group writing the laws has the rights....pernt blank period. Euros did a lot of fuck shit in acquiring the land from the Natives....but at the end of the day, they acquired it, held it, then rewrote the rules in their favor to ensure they keep it. This is the lay of the land as it is....not as it should be.

i know we've done it and we can do it again. see my post about being attacked.

and to the 2nd point that comes with being together politically and demanding things on the local level and then federal. but i want local level first.

we hand over our votes for nothing but soundbites.

Mentor B

"All literature is protest."
Registered
....'cause WE BUILT THIS SHIT, blood soaked bricks....

C/S

There is nobody more American than a Black person whose ancestors were slaves. We're even more American than so-called Indigenous "Americans."

If you cannot understand, you need a brick thrown at your head.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I understand us having problems. But in many parts of this country, we've been having the same kinds of problems since the end of slavery (More than 150 yrs ago). I'm not saying that every black man, woman, and child up and leave. I'm saying maybe some new frontiers are possible for black americans overseas in other nations, especially blacks that have been systemically disenfranchised generationally for decades.

how are they going to get there if they can't even pay their rent?

its honestly on us to help pull our brothers up and make us stronger.
but we bought into the dog eat dog way of thinking.

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
well that's different.
poor and disenfranchised blacks DEFINITELY have nowhere else to go
poor people come here under asylum. racism is working the way it's supposed to so you not going to go to the uk or some other shit under asylum from the u.s. and get the perks and benefits to start over fresh.
they the ones who really have no choice. just like the poor people in other countries way worse than us that stay

Poor Africans come over here all the time. Hell they go everywhere across the globe seeking opportunity. All I'm saying is there can be options outside of America.

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
Pros and cons....for sure. To me....its something that we should at least discuss along with other moves that we as a people need to make.

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
how are they going to get there if they can't even pay their rent?

its honestly on us to help pull our brothers up and make us stronger.
but we bought into the dog eat dog way of thinking.

They find a way. Clearly being here in America ain't working out cause they can't even pay their rent. Sounds to me like something needs to change. And it might even be leaving their city, town, or state to go elsewhere in America. Or it could be trying their hand in Europe, Asia, or South America.

And yes, we have bought into the dog eat dog mentality in this country. But we are simply following the thinking of the people who stole us from Africa. The same way most of us are named after them, follow their religion, and speak their language.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
then you're late, cuz thats been happening since those times and always will

I travel a lot, and there are Black Americans living everywhere
Your idea isn't new by any stretch