When the Slave Traders Were African (Colin-worthy but a must-read for ADOS)

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
When the Slave Traders Were African
Those whose ancestors sold slaves to Europeans now struggle to come to terms with a painful legacy

By Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
Updated Sept. 20, 2019 11:06 am ET

This August marked 400 years since the first documented enslaved Africans arrived in the U.S. In 1619, a ship reached the Jamestown settlement in the colony of Virginia, carrying “some 20 and odd Negroes” who were kidnapped from their villages in present-day Angola. The anniversary coincides with a controversial debate in the U.S. about whether the country owes reparations to the descendants of slaves as compensation for centuries of injustice and inequality. It is a moment for posing questions of historic guilt and responsibility.

But the American side of the story is not the only one. Africans are now also reckoning with their own complicated legacy in the slave trade, and the infamous “Middle Passage” often looks different from across the Atlantic.

Records from the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, directed by historian David Eltis at Emory University, show that the majority of captives brought to the U.S. came from Senegal, Gambia, Congo and eastern Nigeria. Europeans oversaw this brutal traffic in human cargo, but they had many local collaborators. “The organization of the slave trade was structured to have the Europeans stay along the coast lines, relying on African middlemen and merchants to bring the slaves to them,” said Toyin Falola, a Nigerian professor of African studies at the University of Texas at Austin. “The Europeans couldn’t have gone into the interior to get the slaves themselves.”

The anguished debate over slavery in the U.S. is often silent on the role that Africans played. That silence is echoed in many African countries, where there is hardly any national discussion or acknowledgment of the issue. From nursery school through university in Nigeria, I was taught about great African cultures and conquerors of times past but not about African involvement in the slave trade.
In an attempt to reclaim some of the dignity that we lost during colonialism, Africans have tended to magnify stories of a glorious past of rich traditions and brave achievement.

But there are other, less discussed chapters of our history. When I was growing up, my father Chukwuma Nwaubani spoke glowingly of my great-grandfather, Nwaubani Ogogo Oriaku, a chief among our Igbo ethnic group who sold slaves in the 19th century. “He was respected by everyone around,” he said. “Even the white people respected him.” From the 16th to the 19th centuries, an estimated 1.4 million Igbo people were transported across the Atlantic as slaves.

B3-FA100_SLAVET_FR_20190918132206.jpg

Chukwuma Hope Nwaubani in Umuahia, Nigeria, this month. PHOTO: ADAOBI TRICIA NWAUBANI

Some families have chosen to hide similar histories. “We speak of it in whispers,” said Yunus Mohammed Rafiq, a 44-year-old professor of anthropology from Tanzania who now teaches at New York University’s center in Shanghai.In the 19th century, Mr. Rafiq’s great-great-great-grandfather, Mwarukere, from the Segeju ethnic group, raided villages in Tanzania’s hinterland, sold the majority of his captives to the Arab merchants who supplied Europeans and kept the rest as laborers on his own coconut plantations. Although Mr. Rafiq’s relatives speak of Mwarukere with pride, they expunged his name from family documents sometime in the 1960s, shortly after Tanzania gained independence from British colonial rule, when it was especially sensitive to remind Africans of their role in enslaving one another.

B3-FA099_SLAVET_FR_20190918131759.jpg

Yunus Mohammed Rafiq in Bagamoyo, Tanzania, Aug. 6. PHOTO: JONATHAN TORGOVNIK FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

The need to keep his family’s history secret intensified after Mr. Rafiq left home in his 20s to study at Indiana University and then at Yale and Brown
for graduate work. “Truthfully, with my African-American colleagues, I never revealed this aspect,” he said. “Because of the crimes, the pain, the humiliation that I saw them suffer in the United States, I thought talking about this legacy of Africans selling themselves is just piling another wound in a body that is already very shot through, fractured, broken down by other things.”He decided instead to highlight the beauty of Tanzanian music, architecture and poetry and, at Indiana, worked with the black students’ union to organize events that would build bonds to Africa. “Knowing this legacy and what we have done, it put so much pressure on me,” he said.

Like Mr. Rafiq, I also felt apprehensive before deciding to write about my own family’s history. I live in Nigeria but have extended family all over the U.S. How would black Americans respond to the descendants of a man who sold some of their ancestors into slavery? And if my own background was tainted with inhumanity, what authority would I have to lend my voice to the human rights issues in Nigeria and around Africa that cause me such grave concern?

Some families feel no qualms about publicizing their own history. “I’m not ashamed of it because I personally wasn’t directly involved,” said 58-year-old Donald Duke, a lawyer who ran for president in Nigeria’s 2019 elections.
He is from the port town of Calabar, home to the Efik ethnic group of Nigeria’s Cross River state. In the 18th century, some 1.2 million slaves were sold through Calabar, according to the Tulane University historian Randy J. Sparks. The Efik were mostly stevedores and middlemen. They negotiated prices between the white traders and their African partners from the hinterlands, then collected royalties. “Families like mine benefited from that process,” Mr. Duke told me.

B3-FA104_SLAVET_M_20190918132850.jpg

Donald Duke in Lagos, Nigeria, Aug. 1. PHOTO: LAKIN OGUNBANWO FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Mr. Duke was elected governor of Cross River state in 1999, and his administration built the Slave History Museum near the point on the coast from which slaves were shipped. One of its exhibitions depicts various currencies of the slave trade, such as flutes, Dane guns and brass bells. “It is not a glorious past, but it is the truth,” Mr. Duke said. “That is why I went out to document it.”

The Zambian pastor Saidi Francis Chishimba also feels the need to go public with his family’s history. “In Zambia, in a sense, it is a forgotten history,” said the 45-year-old. “But it is a reality to which history still holds us accountable.”
Mr. Chishimba’s grandfather, Ali Saidi Muluwe Wansimba, was from a tribe of slave traders of the Bemba kingdom, who moved from Zanzibar to establish slave markets in Zambia. He grew up hearing this history narrated with great pride by his relatives.

In 2011, he decided to see the place of his ancestor’s origin and traveled with his wife to Zanzibar, an island off the coast of Tanzania. As they toured a memorial in what used to be one of the world’s largest slave markets, the photos of limbs amputated from runaway slaves and the airless chambers that once held dozens of slaves at a time shocked him into silence. “It brought a saddening in my heart that my own family lines were involved in this treatment,” he said. “It was so painful to think about.

Mr. Chishimba decided that this gruesome history should be openly acknowledged and has since become popular in Zambia for his sermons, radio talks and articles on the impact of the slave trade. He uses them as an opportunity to “demonstrate the grace of God” even in so wicked a practice. He believes, for example, that mixing the races was always in God’s plan and the slave trade was an effective device for dispersing black people from Africa to other parts of the world. “What the devil meant for evil, God used it for good,” he said.
B3-FA105_SLAVET_M_20190918133151.jpg

Saidi Francis Chishamba in Ingombe Ilede, Zambia, Aug. 8. PHOTO: JONATHAN TORGOVNIK FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Some families feel cursed or burdened by their history and wish that they could be rid of it. “What our ancestors did wasn’t right,” said 48-year-old Teddy Nwanunobi, a journalist from southeastern Nigeria. “If they had thought about the consequences, they wouldn’t have done those things.” His great-grandfather was an Igbo slave trader, and Mr. Nwanunobi and his male relatives think that their own failure to produce children, in a patrilineal society, is a result of their family’s role in bringing other people’s lineages to an end. “I didn’t think twice about believing it,” Mr. Nwanunobi told me. He quoted a portion from the Book of Exodus, which refers to God “visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children…to the third and fourth generation.”

Similar Bible passages have become popular in certain religious circles in Nigeria. The pastors encourage their congregations to identify patterns in their afflictions and to investigate their histories for root causes, then to ask God for forgiveness, usually after a period of fasting. In collaboration with his younger brother in England, Mr. Nwanunobi is now making arrangements for priests to visit the family and advise on what steps to take to free them from their past. “If not, the family will continue to go down,” he said.

My own family held a similar intervention in January 2018, organized by my father, who, at 79, is the oldest male and head of the extended family. Members of the Nwaubani family in Nigeria and around the world participated in the three days of prayer and fasting. On the final day, a few dozen who lived nearby gathered in my father’s home, then accompanied him to the local Anglican Church, where a priest invoked God’s mercies on us. In December, my father organized another ceremony. Hundreds of family members who were home for the Christmas holidays joined in the thanksgiving service. This time, we dressed in our Sunday best and danced merrily to the altar to present a special money offering as a token of gratitude to God for granting us a new beginning.

Still, my father does not believe that the descendants of those who took part in the slave trade should now pay for those wrongs. As he points out, buying and selling human beings had been part of many African cultures, as a form of serfdom, long before the first white people landed on our shores. And though many families still retain the respect and influence accrued by their slave-trading ancestors, the direct material gains have petered out over time. “If anyone asks me for reparations,” he said sarcastically, “I will tell them to follow me to my backyard so that I can pluck some money from the tree there and give it to them.”

Mr. Chishimba takes a similar view. “Slavery was wrong, but do I carry upon my shoulders the sins of my forefathers so that I should go around saying sorry? I don’t think so,” he said. Mr. Duke doesn’t believe that Africans should play much of a part in the American reparations conversation, because the injustices the descendants of slaves suffer stem primarily from their maltreatment and deprivation in the U.S. “The Africans didn’t see anything wrong with slavery,” he said. “Even if the white man wasn’t there, they would still use these people as their domestics. However, because the white man was now involved and fortunes were being made…that was when the criminality came in.”

Mr. Nwanunobi wishes the matter were as straightforward as paying reparations in cash. He says that he would be willing to hand over all his family’s land and houses to anyone that suffered from his grandfather’s slave trading, whether in Nigeria or the U.S. “I am happy to give anything as long as it would bring an end to this suffering,” he said. “I will do whatever it will take to appease anybody, if only I can identify the particular people we offended.”

As for Mr. Rafiq, he agrees that Africans owe something to the descendants of slaves in America—a forthright acknowledgment of their own complicity in the trans-Atlantic trade. “Educated Africans need to rewrite their history, especially postcolonial history, which was a kind of restorative history that tended to marginalize issues like slavery,” he said. “Part of the compensation is telling the story of our part in what is happening to African-Americans today.”

Ms. Nwaubani is a Nigerian writer and journalist. Her debut novel, “I Do Not Come to You by Chance,” won the 2010 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize for best first book. Her latest novel is “Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree.” Reporting for this piece was supported by a Reporting Award grant from NYU’s Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-the-slave-traders-were-african-11568991595

Attachments

• B3-FA100_SLAVET_FR_20190918132206.jpg
    B3-FA100_SLAVET_FR_20190918132206.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 42,637
Last edited by a moderator:

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Nothing is more anti-Afrikan and xenophobic than slavery that still exists in parts of the continent today. Not coming clean about its role in our oppression and rectifying trust with tangibles and access is the main reason Afrika is still carved up and exploited to this day. UK still running shit...

IMG-20190925-102239.jpg

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nothing is more anti-Afrikan and xenophobic than slavery that still exists in parts of the continent today. Not coming clean about its role in our oppression and rectifying trust with tangibles and access is the main reason Afrika is still carved up and exploited to this day. UK still running shit...

IMG-20190925-102239.jpg
Shit Is a fucking shame.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
Oh they not gon like this one...

Mr. Chishimba takes a similar view. “Slavery was wrong, but do I carry upon my shoulders the sins of my forefathers so that I should go around saying sorry? I don’t think so,” he said. Mr. Duke doesn’t believe that Africans should play much of a part in the American reparations conversation, because the injustices the descendants of slaves suffer stem primarily from their maltreatment and deprivation in the U.S. “The Africans didn’t see anything wrong with slavery,” he said. “Even if the white man wasn’t there, they would still use these people as their domestics. However, because the white man was now involved and fortunes were being made…that was when the criminality came in.”

This sounds like every CAC yall demonize.

The point about Africa's role in reparations is a fair, but wouldn't hold up if those countries developed into world powers.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting to read how the different families are approaching this. It is also upsetting that we continue to talk about slave trading as if it was something that is not happening right now. It is ironic that people from the same areas that participated in the trans-atlantic slave trade are now, themselves, being sold into slavery :smh:

The Libyan Slave Trade Has Shocked the World. Here’s What You Should Know
A video of men appearing to be sold at auction in Libya for $400 has shocked the world and focused international attention on the exploitation of migrants and refugees the north African country.
https://time.com/5042560/libya-slave-trade/

Migrants Captured In Libya Say They End Up Sold As Slaves
But since mid-2016, Slim says, more and more migrants have arrived bringing testimony of being traded as commodities and being sold into slavery. "At first, I was a bit skeptical. If just one person comes with this story, of course you are not sure if it's truth. But then when so many people came and told us the same thing, it became more clear," Slim says.

DoDatt

Star
Registered
Sure if y'all wanna believe fake photo ops. The African slave replaced the Moorish slave and nobody talks about the slavery that was taking place in the 1400's. This article is doing it's job at raising doubt.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sure if y'all wanna believe fake photo ops. The African slave replaced the Moorish slave and nobody talks about the slavery that was taking place in the 1400's. This article is doing it's job at raising doubt.

bruh these cacs did a good job remixing their slave history with our glorious one...

I went over this already in a previous thread.... the shit nobody is talkin about is.... aint it funny how the number of "slaves from africa" that came here..

is the same fuckin number of Moors that was expelled from europe during that time..

MIGHTY Fuckin coincidence huh????

Im just gonna sit this one out and let those that want to be slaves be slaves...

My antcestors are not slavic so they could never be slaves.....

but that is all...

carry on..

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor

bruh these cacs did a good job remixing their slave history with our glorious one...

I went over this already in a previous thread.... the shit nobody is talkin about is.... aint it funny how the number of "slaves from africa" that came here..

is the same fuckin number of Moors that was expelled from europe during that time..

MIGHTY Fuckin coincidence huh????

Im just gonna sit this one out and let those that want to be slaves be slaves...

My antcestors are not slavic so they could never be slaves.....

but that is all...

carry on..

Stop with the pseudo-history please! Freddy, you should know better than to start this shit again.

The reality, as this article demonstrates, is that many Africans were middlemen and willing participants in the African slave trade, whether Arab/Islamic in the east or trans-Atlantic in the West. And the reality is also that here, in the U.S., is that the descendants of those West African slave traders have been immigrating here only to usurp and capitalize on the descendants of the Africans they captured and sold, i.e. US/Black Americans/ADOS.

This is a painful truth that we need wake up and realize and fight against before it’s too late (if it isn’t already). They allied with the CAC back then and they’re still allied with them. We’re STILL at war with these motherfuckers.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stop with the pseudo-history please! Freddy, you should know better than to start this shit again.

The reality, as this article demonstrates, is that many Africans were middlemen and willing participants in the African slave trade, whether Arab/Islamic in the east or trans-Atlantic in the West. And the reality is also that here, in the U.S., is that the descendants of those West African slave traders have been immigrating here only to usurp and capitalize on the descendants of the Africans they captured and sold, i.e. US/Black Americans/ADOS.

This is a painful truth that we need wake up and realize and fight against before it’s too late (if it isn’t already). They allied with the CAC back then and they’re still allied with them. We’re STILL at war with these motherfuckers.

Right so all the moors expelled during the inquistion just vanished..

Look you go back and forth with yo cac revisionist history....

Don't let my facts stop ya...

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

Yo, didn't we talk about this YEARS ago when cats were on here denying a slave trade? Cats claimed Africans weren't capable of trading with Europeans(failing to mention the slave trade with sand cacs before Europeans). :smh:

The reason cats were so hype to deny a slave trade existed was because cacs use it to try to pass the blame. Fuck those cacs. This doesn't take them off the hook.

Could you imagine the Jews just blaming Hitler and the SS and not going after all the people who helped do the holocaust? If your ass opened a train door in 1944, Jews want your ass 75 years later. Ain't no :( "But I didn't know where they were taking them!" pleas to be copped. I remember some folks saying Africans were unaware what Europeans were doing. Meanwhile, sand cacs castrated slaves PRIOR to the journey, so that excuse just doesn't fly. They didn't give a fuck in either case.

History is a bitch.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Right so all the moors expelled during the inquistion just vanished..

Look you go back and forth with yo cac revisionist history....

Don't let my facts stop ya...

Facts?! We know you and your “facts” and time-traveling timelines! :lol: Shall I resurrect that old thread?

If you want to have this discussion about the Moors and their relationship to Black America, please start a separate thread, presenting your facts, and tag me in it. I am ready and willing to discuss it, since I believe you’re trying to let these caste-driven Africans off the hook, or you’re just in denial about what they did.

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor

Expound!

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Facts?! We know you and your “facts” and time-traveling timelines! :lol: Shall I resurrect that old thread?

If you want to have this discussion about the Moors and their relationship to Black America, please start a separate thread, presenting your facts, and tag me in it. I am ready and willing to discuss it, since I believe you’re trying to let these caste-driven Africans off the hook, or you’re just in denial about what they did.

nah I aint lettin no africans off the hook....I just know you dealin with various tribes that do that to each other all the time...
there is no continent loyalty in africa.... and that was easily manipulated...

but look you are right this is your thread and we can save that discussion for another time...

just remember aint it a coincidence the same amount of moors expelled from spain, is the exact same amount of the numbers they give us for the "african slave trade"

but whats your angle are you saying Africans had more to do with the kidnapping and enslavement of the goddish american moors, than europeans do...

I dont want to even really get into it.. because the truth might be too much for even my militant bruhs to take..

so Im just gonna sit this one out and listen... let me get this vegan gyro tho..

dasmybikepunk

Wait for it.....
OG Investor
Counter productive and missing the point not one of the tribal kidnappers and war mongers who supported the in trading understood the big picture or anticipated what ramification their action would have had on their own lineage and futures.

None of them also built a Multi-Trillion dollar society and became one of the most powerful nations on the planet based off of that slave trade.

Always remember facts are not truth, and don't stay ignant ya whole life.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Counter productive and missing the point not one of the tribal kidnappers and war mongers who supported the in trading understood the big picture or anticipated what ramification their action would have had on their own lineage and futures.

None of them also built a Multi-Trillion dollar society and became one of the most powerful nations on the planet based off of that slave trade.

:confused: The fuck? So incompetence is an excuse? Just because someone does evil and can't expand on it they get a fucking pass? You assuming that folks gave a fuck.

Why is it that whenever we talk Africa SOME insist on treating the people there like naive children? I think some people just don't like that there were no fucks to give. The fucks given were so few that even after it was well-known what was going on that nations in Africa didn't want to end the slave trade. We talking 1800s. :smh:

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor

Dahomey got bigger and more wealth ofd the slave trade. So did Oyo. So did Asamte, so did the Fante. So did the Aro Confederacy. A did old Calabar. So did many other slave trading nations who were able to grab a space on the coast to sell from. Problem is, they sold their potential allies against colonial armies as well as created enemies who would've helped em.

But Black Americans don't get all high and mighty. Just because someone was sold doesnt mean they weren't attempting to sell captives as well. Some of our ancestors were just on the losing team on a particular day.

AND, There were.plantations IN AFRICA. Some of these people coming now , are also descendants of domestic slaves. There arent many people from.any race, important enough to have had slaves.

Fela, for example, is from a group of yoruba people called the Egba. Many were captured and sold , but the ship.was caught by the royal Navy and diverted to Sierra Leone. They were educated in Christian schools and raised there. Once the Egbas heard that there people back home had defended themselves and built a new city (Abeokuta), many came back. They are called SAROS in Nigeria. They came back and helped spread Christianity. Felas grandfather is credited with translating the hymns to yoruba. So again, many of them are also descendants of slaves.

Doesn't matter what you're a descendants of now. Who are YOU?

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Africans had way cooler slavery than in America bro. Everybody knows that.

Lol

What I think people are saying is if I have a illegal Mexican housekeeper that I'm paying under the table, and then I send her to you and you start raping and pimping her out my crime is different from yours.

We have slavery in the prison system now, but if the prisoners started breeding and children born in prison remained thats different.

All slavery is horrible but I don't recall Africans breeding other Africans like cattle.

If I'm wrong let me know. Also the Africans who made $ in the slave trade as well as the cac's both owe us reparations.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
:confused: The fuck? So incompetence is an excuse? Just because someone does evil and can't expand on it they get a fucking pass? You assuming that folks gave a fuck.

Why is it that whenever we talk Africa SOME insist on treating the people there like naive children? I think some people just don't like that there were no fucks to give. The fucks given were so few that even after it was well-known what was going on that nations in Africa didn't want to end the slave trade. We talking 1800s. :smh:

Easy. So we can.remain victims and never take responsibility for our own success. That's what all this reparations talk now is. "you fix us Mr White man". Shits laughable

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Lol

What I think people are saying is if I have a illegal Mexican housekeeper that I'm paying under the table, and then I send her to you and you start raping and pimping her out my crime is different from yours.

We have slavery in the prison system now, but if the prisoners started breeding and children born in prison remained thats different.

All slavery is horrible but I don't recall Africans breeding other Africans like cattle.

If I'm wrong let me know. Also the Africans who made $ in the slave trade as well as the cac's both owe us reparations.

You don't recall because you don't know shit lol. But here. Ya don't have to RECALL it because it still.hapoens today. This girl who is alive and well now, lived it. The trokosi system. Yes, children are BRED to be slaves. NOW.

Here. Ask her about it first hand

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Easy. So we can.remain victims and never take responsibility for our own success. That's what all this reparations talk now is. "you fix us Mr White man". Shits laughable

You bring good knowledge about what was and still is occurring in Africa, then you hop back on the coon train. I don’t get it. If you can’t acknowledge that Black Americans were subjected to chattel slavery for (officially) 89 years and treated as second-class citizens and prevented from accruing wealth for another 100 years, then you can simply fuck off too.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
You bring good knowledge about what was and still is occurring in Africa, then you hop back on the coon train. I don’t get it. If you can’t acknowledge that Black Americans were subjected to chattel slavery for (officially) 89 years and treated as second-class citizens and prevented from accruing wealth for another 100 years, then you can simply fuck off too.
I think we should cut this word CHATTEL out. Y’all love to use it to make it seem like we have a monopoly on suffering. We don’t.
If you wan throw the word coon around, I’d throw it right back at you cuz your version of “empowerment” is begging white people to do something for you, at the same time, claiming they’re incapable of being redeemed. It’s the perfect way to crystallize a subservient position you embrace for our people. That’s the definition of cooning.

this very article and all of em that come out giving us this information shows us that self determination matter more than anything else. Fuck 70 years. Those Africans who sold us, are doing WORSE than us, In the land they sent us from, and now want to take our place in the land they sent us to. Why?

Anyway, let’s get back to the information. How you or I interpret it and the difference between that is inconsequential.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor

Dude is another fake Dynast wanna be West African Tour Guide Host. I told you posting this as its on thread would bring the coons out. :yes:

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
I think we should cut this word CHATTEL out. Y’all love to use it to make it seem like we have a monopoly on suffering. We don’t.
If you wan throw the word coon around, I’d throw it right back at you cuz your version of “empowerment” is begging white people to do something for you, at the same time, claiming they’re incapable of being redeemed. It’s the perfect way to crystallize a subservient position you embrace for our people. That’s the definition of cooning.

Cut the word “chattel” out? Are you serious? “Chattel” means personal property, which is what black slaves were held as. Slaves were passed down as inheritances, used as collateral, and numerous other economic transactions. How can you know so much about African slavery but know so little about American slavery?

And no one said we had a “monopoly on suffering”, and you’d never say something like that to a Jew. If we don’t know and don’t advocate for ourselves and our history, then who will? You and Mr Met? :smh:

And this ain’t about “begging white people”. It’s about getting redress from the U.S. government, getting something for our vote, and having our own agenda. Which, of course, is what every other group does.

this very article and all of em that come out giving us this information shows us that self determination matter more than anything else. Fuck 70 years. Those Africans who sold us, are doing WORSE than us, In the land they sent us from, and now want to take our place in the land they sent us to. Why?

Anyway, let’s get back to the information. How you or I interpret it and the difference between that is inconsequential.

Can’t say it’s inconsequential, but I do agree that the more info we have, the better.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
No, those are two different things. Holding someone accountable isn't about remaining a victim. NOW denying the slave trade, trying to cover up how shit really was, and all that other bullshit, is some victimhood shit.

I'm for reparations and don't engage in any of the bullshit narratives about history. History is what it is, it's not for fucking therapy. Got fucking illegals and their fake amnesty. Religious right demanding abortion be outlawed. LBGTQXYZ making demands. But we victims for demanding reparations? :confused:

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Cut the word “chattel” out? Are you serious? “Chattel” means personal property, which is what black slaves were held as. Slaves were passed down as inheritances, used as collateral, and numerous other economic transactions. How can you know so much about African slavery but know so little about American slavery?

And no one said we had a “monopoly on suffering”, and you’d never say something like that to a Jew. If we don’t know and don’t advocate for ourselves and our history, then who will? You and Mr Met? :smh:

And this ain’t about “begging white people”. It’s about getting redress from the U.S. government, getting something for our vote, and having our own agenda. Which, of course, is what every other group does.

Can’t say it’s inconsequential, but I do agree that the more info we have, the better.

Actually you make my point. Since so much IS known about African slavery, I don't get why y'all try so hard to differentiate if from American slavery. But really I do get it. It's explained in the article as well.

Notice how the guy from Tamzania and others , when confronted with American.slavery, KNOWING THEIR OWN HISTORY, they chose to bypass the topic altogether. Because they know it's THE SAME. And of course it explains why many Africans coming into the abolitionist movement as a result of being slaves in a part of the world that spoke of freedom-- a few of em would say it was different. Only one really-- olaudah equiano. ONE account vs all the others and millions of you are still screaming theiree s a difference. If someone can whip you, chain you, stack you on a boat and sell you to someone else as property for money or goods, that means you are PROPERTY or CHATTEL as you like to call it.

And you are BEGGING for this so called redress,, cuz a vote ain't shit without actual power. Where does that power come from? Your own determination. Or no damn vote. Politics has never brought anY group out of poverty. since you mention Jews , they didn't achieve what they have through politics. Tney added it into what they do but it's by no means the primary tool. Their culture was. The shit everyone hates about em and can't do shit about. We can be that, but we still talk as if whatever is needed will come.from outside us. But guess what? These African and Caribbean people who make it here, they DO that. and they prosper. As far as what I'd say to a new Crying about their history, I would say the same. But again, that's the political tool they used AFTER getting themselves established economically, and even militarily in Israel. If you think Jews are where they are because of voting , you're mistaken.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
No, those are two different things. Holding someone accountable isn't about remaining a victim. NOW denying the slave trade, trying to cover up how shit really was, and all that other bullshit, is some victimhood shit.

I'm for reparations and don't engage in any of the bullshit narratives about history. History is what it is, it's not for fucking therapy. Got fucking illegals and their fake amnesty. Religious right demanding abortion be outlawed. LBGTQXYZ making demands. But we victims for demanding reparations? :confused:
Ain't no reparations happening bro. Get that out of your head. The fact that we're even hearing these white liberals talk about it is how desperate they are to get your vote. Not even the black president we had for eight years thinks that shit is feasible. But as soon as they get these illegal I'm.igrants in, they'll ignore the fuck out of that talk again. Actually by the next election. Just because a white guy gave you a problem don't mean he can Fix it for you. And even if they gave it to us, for where our culture is at right now, it wouldn't matter. It'd be gone in an instant. But don't even entertain that aspect-- cuz reparations is a joke.

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lol

Slaves in Africa weren't born slaves. They were captured. Prisoners of war. Their children were born free. That's the major difference between slavery in Africa and America/Caribbean.

dasmybikepunk

Wait for it.....
OG Investor
The irony of this thread and how your proving the unfortunate fact of how blacks go against on another and can't organize our efforts and how our counterparts no matter how different they are from one another still stick together :smh: come back here several years from now God willing and let's see how that's working out for you.