[[VIDEO]] HBO 24/7 Mayweather vs. Cotto preview - "I Never saw floyd look this sharp"

do you think floyd will have problems with cotto or just go right through him

• Total voters

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Re: [[VIDEO]] HBO 24/7 Mayweather vs. Cotto preview - "I Never saw floyd look this sh

I'm predicting a stoppage so I don't know what to tell you.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

While he's been more aggressive since his return, the only way I see him stopping Cotto is if he opens him up or really lumps him up and closes an eye or something, similar to how Cotto lost to Pacquiao and Hands of Stone. I don't see him putting him to sleep like he did Ortiz.

merce77

Star
Registered
Re: [[VIDEO]] HBO 24/7 Mayweather vs. Cotto preview - "I Never saw floyd look this sh

I'm predicting a stoppage so I don't know what to tell you.

If it's stopped it will be on cuts. A hand wrapped Margarito took eleven rounds to stop Cotto, a roided up Manny took 12. Floyd is not the same type of fighter as either. In order to bust up Miguel Cotto like they did Floyd would have to throw about 70 to 80 punches a round - which he's not going to do and no defensive minded fighter is going to do. He caught Victor Ortiz with a punch he didn't see while Victor was relaxed. Floyd is a sharp puncher not a hard puncher, so if the stoppage comes it will be on cuts since Cotto cuts easily but I don't see Floyd droppin Miguel Cotto like he did Ortiz or Ricky Hatton. I think the Mosley fight will be a worse whuppin that what Cotto will get. Mosley was stone legged and trigger shy and couldn't get out of the way of shit all night, that's not the case with Cotto.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
If it's stopped it will be on cuts. A hand wrapped Margarito took eleven rounds to stop Cotto, a roided up Manny took 12. Floyd is not the same type of fighter as either. In order to bust up Miguel Cotto like they did Floyd would have to throw about 70 to 80 punches a round - which he's not going to do and no defensive minded fighter is going to do. He caught Victor Ortiz with a punch he didn't see while Victor was relaxed. Floyd is a sharp puncher not a hard puncher, so if the stoppage comes it will be on cuts since Cotto cuts easily but I don't see Floyd droppin Miguel Cotto like he did Ortiz or Ricky Hatton. I think the Mosley fight will be a worse whuppin that what Cotto will get. Mosley was stone legged and trigger shy and couldn't get out of the way of shit all night, that's not the case with Cotto.

I don't think Floyd is going to beast this dude with one punch or a combination. I think he will dissect Cotto and tear up the dude's face. Cotto will be inactive for a couple of rounds and then Cotto's corner or the Ref will stop it. It will be clean shots over and over again on a cut up or lumped up face that stops it... not power.

merce77

Star
Registered

I don't think Floyd is going to beast this dude with one punch or a combination. I think he will dissect Cotto and tear up the dude's face. Cotto will be inactive for a couple of rounds and then Cotto's corner or the Ref will stop it. It will be clean shots over and over again on a cut up or lumped up face that stops it... not power.

I got no argument with that.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Gotcha.
Definitely a possibility.

tp2001

Star
Registered

So it would end up like Floyd's fight against Arturo Gatti....I could see that happening...

Firefox

Support BGOL
Registered

That was part of my point, it seems as if he's trying a lil harder than usual to get himself up for this one. This is the first Floyd fight in a long time that people really aren't looking forward to. That's funny because I still believe Cotto is Floyd's most dangerous fight in a loooong time. People were hyped up for the Mosley fight yet they swear Cotto is finished, it's kinda funny. Cotto's been in with the very best and he's not going to get frustrated or fold up under pressure. I think this fight will be much more competitive than people think.

THIS^:yes:

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I agree...it will look like Ortiz at first with the score 3-2 Cotto or Mayweather going into the 6th. Then by the 9th Cotto will be looking fucked up. He is going 12 though. You gotta understand - Gatti was an all-time as whoppin. I don't want to take that performance lightly. That shit was absolutely crazy. I watched it again - Gatti would throw an upper cut and Floyd would literally get mad the dude tried to throw a punch and hit him with like 7 to 8 hit combos. People talked about Manny throwing 7 or 8 punch combos..look at the 6th round. The shit was brutal man. Floyd really didn't like that ole boy had a following and was the PPV draw.

People always say - Oscar didn't throw the jab/mosley stopped jabbing. You gotta understand the beauty of a counter punch. The jab is supposed to be automatic. Something to get the other fighter off rhythm and set up your shit. But if you gotta start thinking about when to throw the jab and sneak it in because you are worried about a well timed right hand or left - well you are fucked. Mayweather had Mosley stuttering. Dude looked like he was having spasms. Ortiz just said fuck it Ill just start throwing haymakers. Oscar just stopped throwing all together. I guess they just all forgot to throw the one punch "that is needed to beat Floyd".:hmm:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Gatti was his "coming out" fight. He had fought Corrales and Castillo and was recognized as one of,if the, best fighters in the world and he wasn't making any money or drawing any attention. So when he fought Gatti, in Gatti's stronghold of Atlantic City, he fought with incredible, brutal purpose. I've seen fights where he takes his foot off the gas, that wasn't one.

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Gatti was his "coming out" fight. He had fought Corrales and Castillo and was recognized as one of,if the, best fighters in the world and he wasn't making any money or drawing any attention. So when he fought Gatti, in Gatti's stronghold of Atlantic City, he fought with incredible, brutal purpose. I've seen fights where he takes his foot off the gas, that wasn't one.

Yeah man - that shit was personal. But lets not get it twisted...Cotto is nice as hell. He is doing his thing at 154..not 146. We keep moving the goal posts for Floyd. Watch the end of the Corley fight - ole man Stewart couldn't wait for Floyd to fight Sharmba Mitchell. He favored Mitchell slightly and thought southpaw was going to get him. Man Floyd ended that shit in 6 rounds with a gut punch after being up 8 pts.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I agree...it will look like Ortiz at first with the score 3-2 Cotto or Mayweather going into the 6th. Then by the 9th Cotto will be looking fucked up. He is going 12 though. You gotta understand - Gatti was an all-time as whoppin. I don't want to take that performance lightly. That shit was absolutely crazy. I watched it again - Gatti would throw an upper cut and Floyd would literally get mad the dude tried to throw a punch and hit him with like 7 to 8 hit combos. People talked about Manny throwing 7 or 8 punch combos..look at the 6th round. The shit was brutal man. Floyd really didn't like that ole boy had a following and was the PPV draw.

People always say - Oscar didn't throw the jab/mosley stopped jabbing. You gotta understand the beauty of a counter punch. The jab is supposed to be automatic. Something to get the other fighter off rhythm and set up your shit. But if you gotta start thinking about when to throw the jab and sneak it in because you are worried about a well timed right hand or left - well you are fucked. Mayweather had Mosley stuttering. Dude looked like he was having spasms. Ortiz just said fuck it Ill just start throwing haymakers. Oscar just stopped throwing all together. I guess they just all forgot to throw the one punch "that is needed to beat Floyd".:hmm:

Wait... You gave Ortiz a round in that fight.

I see Cotto maybe winning the first and then looking active, but losing badly till the 6th. After that it will be a complete breakdown maybe like Hatton looked. By the 8th Cotto won't be punching much and will be getting beat to punch anyways. I think Floyd will make a statement out of Cotto at that point much like how he did with Gatti. It won't be as bad as Gatti because it won't last as long, but Cotto's last round will look like Gatti's last round.

Gatti's worst mistake was trying to box by the way. He would have been better off swinging wild haymakers like Hatton.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Yeah man - that shit was personal. But lets not get it twisted...Cotto is nice as hell. He is doing his thing at 154..not 146. We keep moving the goal posts for Floyd. Watch the end of the Corley fight - ole man Stewart couldn't wait for Floyd to fight Sharmba Mitchell. He favored Mitchell slightly and thought southpaw was going to get him. Man Floyd ended that shit in 6 rounds with a gut punch after being up 8 pts.

It's always the "next guy" with Floyd and then when he beats them, they were washed up, bums, or some other excuse.

Wait... You gave Ortiz a round in that fight.

I see Cotto maybe winning the first and then looking active, but losing badly till the 6th. After that it will be a complete breakdown maybe like Hatton looked. By the 8th Cotto won't be punching much and will be getting beat to punch anyways. I think Floyd will make a statement out of Cotto at that point much like how he did with Gatti. It won't be as bad as Gatti because it won't last as long, but Cotto's last round will look like Gatti's last round.

Gatti's worst mistake was trying to box by the way. He would have been better off swinging wild haymakers like Hatton.

I see Cotto being competitive a little longer than you but with the same result.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

This shit can't be denied. Floyd is impressive and resume argument is weak at this point.

merce77

Star
Registered

This shit can't be denied. Floyd is impressive and resume argument is weak at this point.

No it's a very valid argument - the thing is that it isn't Floyd's fault. Guys either didn't want to fight him or just straight up there was nobody in the division to give him comp. This is just a weak ass era in most every division. The only way to give Floyd some comp is to put him up against all timers.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

No it's a very valid argument - the thing is that it isn't Floyd's fault. Guys either didn't want to fight him or just straight up there was nobody in the division to give him comp. This is just a weak ass era in most every division. The only way to give Floyd some comp is to put him up against all timers.

Huge May fan but the fact he didn't go out there & challenge the best in his era is not a good look....

when Cotto was Top 5 P4P fighter crushing his opponents yrs ago PBF was not interested in fighting him...if PBF completely dominates Cotto (which I think he is going to do) I just don't see what this fight proves?

only credible fights for May right now is Pacquiao or a possible fight with Martinez...anyone else is a snooze fest now IMO...thats how good PBF is...I want to see him against the best opposition

Cotto will win maybe 2 Rounds against this guy

merce77

Star
Registered

Huge May fan but the fact he didn't go out there & challenge the best in his era is not a good look....

when Cotto was Top 5 P4P fighter crushing his opponents yrs ago PBF was not interested in fighting him...if PBF completely dominates Cotto (which I think he is going to do) I just don't see what this fight proves?

only credible fights for May right now is Pacquiao or a possible fight with Martinez...anyone else is a snooze fest now IMO...thats how good PBF is...I want to see him against the best opposition

Cotto will win maybe 2 Rounds against this guy

We all do but there is no one in boxing on his level. The best you can hope for is a fucked up style clash and a lucky punch on the same night.:lol:
The 70's and 80's would have been a great time for Floyd to come up. I don't think he'd have an undefeated record but he'd probably be in everybody's top 5 all time.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

We all do but there is no one in boxing on his level. The best you can hope for is a fucked up style clash and a lucky punch on the same night.:lol:
The 70's and 80's would have been a great time for Floyd to come up. I don't think he'd have an undefeated record but he'd probably be in everybody's top 5 all time.

:yes:

tp2001

Star
Registered

Why can't he be among the top 5 all time when his career is over? He has fought everyone that was among the highest in his weight class that he could face (Corrales, Castillo, Mosley, Oscar, Judah, Hatton, Marquez) and beat them...you can blame the likes of Arum for him not facing Pac, Margarito, and Cotto when the talk/demand was high, but other than that who else was there?

Upgrade Dave said:

To this day that is the most lopsided beating I have seen in recent memory. That was a mismatch from the start...To make it worse was that it was in Gatti's hometown, and it was the beginning of the end of Arturo's career

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

Why can't he be among the top 5 all time when his career is over? He has fought everyone that was among the highest in his weight class that he could face (Corrales, Castillo, Mosley, Oscar, Judah, Hatton, Marquez) and beat them...you can blame the likes of Arum for him not facing Pac, Margarito, and Cotto when the talk/demand was high, but other than that who else was there?

To this day that is the most lopsided beating I have seen in recent memory. That was a mismatch from the start...To make it worse was that it was in Gatti's hometown, and it was the beginning of the end of Arturo's career

Can't blame Arum for everything bruh...he didn't want Cotto when he was killing the JW & WW divisions...now you want to fight a much older...slower, battle worn Cotto?

Leonard came out of retirement to fight the best in his Era....because he wanted a challenge he wanted to be great...beating up the Hattons & Moseleys is not going to cut
it...

its time for Floyd to prove his greatness...he can't let Pac retire w/o a fight...:smh:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Can't blame Arum for everything bruh...he didn't want Cotto when he was killing the JW & WW divisions...now you want to fight a much older...slower, battle worn Cotto?

Leonard came out of retirement to fight the best in his Era....because he wanted a challenge he wanted to be great...beating up the Hattons & Moseleys is not going to cut
it...

its time for Floyd to prove his greatness...he can't let Pac retire w/o a fight...:smh:

Po3t
Leonard came back and fought a more battle worn Hagler than Mayweather is fighting a battle worn Cotto. Cotto hasn't had a hard fight in a couple years. When Leonard had the chance to fight Hagler earlier, he retired.
Mayweather did want the Cotto fight when Cotto was coming up at 140 and 147 and he would have fought Margarito but it was Arum who stopped it by not pursuing the De La Hoya fight Floyd was asking for, forcing Floyd to leave Top Rank.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

it...

I've ask this before, but who was Cotto killing before Shane? He didn't even kill Shane. I think Shane could have won a rematch, but he didn't have to. Floyd destroyed Shane.

It has been well document that Floyd tried to get Cotto, but Arum protected Cotto. At this point, we have seen example after example of Arum protecting his fighters unless it is against another Arum fighter. Shit, Arum was just trying to feed Cotto to Pac again or to Chavez.

Leonard avoided Pryor... and he avoid Hagler for a long time. With that said Floyd came out of retirement to fight Pac, but Pac has found every way out of fighting. They were saying they can't because they need to build a stadium for christsakes.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

Po3t
Leonard came back and fought a more battle worn Hagler than Mayweather is fighting a battle worn Cotto. Cotto hasn't had a hard fight in a couple years. When Leonard had the chance to fight Hagler earlier, he retired.
Mayweather did want the Cotto fight when Cotto was coming up at 140 and 147 and he would have fought Margarito but it was Arum who stopped it by not pursuing the De La Hoya fight Floyd was asking for, forcing Floyd to leave Top Rank.

I disagree with a Battle worn Hagler...he just KO'ed a undefeated puncher in Mugabi & TKO'ed Hearns the fight before....SRL moved up to MW to fight him at a weight Hagler never lost after a 2 year retirement that took balls

I've ask this before, but who was Cotto killing before Shane? He didn't even kill Shane. I think Shane could have won a rematch, but he didn't have to. Floyd destroyed Shane.

It has been well document that Floyd tried to get Cotto, but Arum protected Cotto. At this point, we have seen example after example of Arum protecting his fighters unless it is against another Arum fighter. Shit, Arum was just trying to feed Cotto to Pac again or to Chavez.

Leonard avoided Pryor... and he avoid Hagler for a long time. With that said Floyd came out of retirement to fight Pac, but Pac has found every way out of fighting. They were saying they can't because they need to build a stadium for christsakes.

Cotto was undefeated before he fought Mosley...he was dominate at JW & WW P4P Top 5 ranked....at the same time Floyd was P4P King...the fight never materialized I'm not letting grimy ass Arum off the hook but Floyd has also avoided some top notch competition while he has dominated these last few years...

Pac & Floyd never materialized Floyd is just as much to blame as Pac...they both will go down as lames for not fighting...

my problem with Floyd he doesn't seek the challenge he seeks the Payday

just like Pac he will bleed the fans out of PPV money fighting cats that don't even belong in the ring with him

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I disagree with a Battle worn Hagler...he just KO'ed a undefeated puncher in Mugabi & TKO'ed Hearns the fight before....SRL moved up to MW to fight him at a weight Hagler never lost after a 2 year retirement that took balls

Yeah, he won both fights but both fights were savage battles. Cotto hasn't had one of those in years. He's looked so fresh after his last few fights, he should change his name to "Pretty Boy".
Sugar had guts for taking the fight but he only took it when he sensed Hagler was weakening. He's admitted as much.

Cotto was undefeated before he fought Mosley...he was dominate at JW & WW P4P Top 5 ranked....at the same time Floyd was P4P King...the fight never materialized I'm not letting grimy ass Arum off the hook but Floyd has also avoided some top notch competition while he has dominated these last few years...

We all agree that he didn't get some fights that would have been great on a resume but a lot of those guys didn't want to fight him (Tsuzyu retired) and some lost when they were on a path to a fight (Margarito to Paul Williams).
Cotto was undefeated but before the Mosley fight, he hadn't beaten anyone. To put it more accurately, he hadn't beaten any great fighters at 140 or 147. He couldn't seriously think he was in line to fight Mayweather (which Arum would not allow) before he fought and beat Shane and, at that time, Floyd was "retired" (taking a break).

Pac & Floyd never materialized Floyd is just as much to blame as Pac...they both will go down as lames for not fighting...

my problem with Floyd he doesn't seek the challenge he seeks the Payday

just like Pac he will bleed the fans out of PPV money fighting cats that don't even belong in the ring with him

Based on talent and who people think is going to win, Floyd shouldn't fight anyone. After his last fight with JMM, are there any holdouts that think Pacquiao can beat Floyd, the same type of fighter as Marquez but bigger and better?
They all seek the payday. The only guy I can think of who really and truly sought out the biggest challenge was Shane Mosley. Everybody else does a "risk/reward" arithmetic in their head and chooses accordingly.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

Yeah, he won both fights but both fights were savage battles. Cotto hasn't had one of those in years. He's looked so fresh after his last few fights, he should change his name to "Pretty Boy".
Sugar had guts for taking the fight but he only took it when he sensed Hagler was weakening. He's admitted as much.

We all agree that he didn't get some fights that would have been great on a resume but a lot of those guys didn't want to fight him (Tsuzyu retired) and some lost when they were on a path to a fight (Margarito to Paul Williams).
Cotto was undefeated but before the Mosley fight, he hadn't beaten anyone. To put it more accurately, he hadn't beaten any great fighters at 140 or 147. He couldn't seriously think he was in line to fight Mayweather (which Arum would not allow) before he fought and beat Shane and, at that time, Floyd was "retired" (taking a break).

Based on talent and who people think is going to win, Floyd shouldn't fight anyone. After his last fight with JMM, are there any holdouts that think Pacquiao can beat Floyd, the same type of fighter as Marquez but bigger and better?
They all seek the payday. The only guy I can think of who really and truly sought out the biggest challenge was Shane Mosley. Everybody else does a "risk/reward" arithmetic in their head and chooses accordingly.

Cotto wasn't in a savage battle in yrs?

Cotto was destroyed by Marg & Pac :smh: those beatings can take yrs off a fighter...he is no longer the puncher or have the movement he once had...regardless bruh Cotto was top 5 at JW & WW in the world when Floyd "retired" no matter who he was beating he was undefeated for yrs & was the biggest challenge for Floyd at that time...Floyd never pursued him he "retired" then came back....

yes I believe Floyd will win against Pac but we want to see it...we can't just go on speculation alone...

I'm a huge Mayweather fan but I call out his shit too...dude is not innocent...he has avoided certain fighters & has also hand pick his opponents just like Team Arum does for Pac...

he is the one telling the world he is better than Robinson & SRL :lol::rolleyes:...he has to prove it in the ring like them not with his mouth....

after Cotto...if he doesn't take Sergio's offer or fight Pac :smh:

I bet he goes after Canelo next :lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Cotto wasn't in a savage battle in yrs?

No, he hasn't been in a tough fight in years.

Cotto was destroyed by Marg & Pac :smh: those beatings can take yrs off a fighter...he is no longer the puncher or have the movement he once had...regardless bruh Cotto was top 5 at JW & WW in the world when Floyd "retired" no matter who he was beating he was undefeated for yrs & was the biggest challenge for Floyd at that time...Floyd never pursued him he "retired" then came back....

He was top 5 but not number one in either until after Mayweather "retired". He was a credible name to look out for but he wasn't a real marquee name until the Mosley win.
It does matter who he was beating. Isn't that supposed to be the only knock on Mayweather, his quality of opposition? Then it has to apply everyone and when Mayweather took time off after the De La Hoya fight, Cotto wasn't a big fight, main event player.

yes I believe Floyd will win against Pac but we want to see it...we can't just go on speculation alone...

I agree but I think that holds for everyone. Cotto is far from a shot fighter and he's fighting at his natural weight class and is in his prime (or close to it). This is less of a given fight than Pacquiao at 147, in my opinion.

I'm a huge Mayweather fan but I call out his shit too...dude is not innocent...he has avoided certain fighters & has also hand pick his opponents just like Team Arum does for Pac...

Not a problem, just make sure you're calling him out on the right shit.

he is the one telling the world he is better than Robinson & SRL :lol::rolleyes:...he has to prove it in the ring like them not with his mouth....

"Money" hype talk. No way he really believes that, which is why he keeps fighting.

after Cotto...if he doesn't take Sergio's offer or fight Pac :smh:

I bet he goes after Canelo next :lol:

I'd be pleasantly surprised if he ever fought Martinez, honestly. It could happen but once Sergio won the middleweight title, I marked him off the list.
If Bob Arum wants Manny to fight Floyd, it will happen. But if Tim Bradley pulls off the upset of the year (last 5 years), he gets into the Mayweather sweepstakes.
Depending on how he looks against an old Mosley, I see nothing wrong with Canelo except his lack of big fight experience. If he beats Cotto and then fights Canelo, he would be taking on the top two jr middleweights in boxing, one of whom is significantly younger and stronger, not something to be mad at at all.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

No, he hasn't been in a tough fight in years.

He was top 5 but not number one in either until after Mayweather "retired". He was a credible name to look out for but he wasn't a real marquee name until the Mosley win.
It does matter who he was beating. Isn't that supposed to be the only knock on Mayweather, his quality of opposition? Then it has to apply everyone and when Mayweather took time off after the De La Hoya fight, Cotto wasn't a big fight, main event player.

I agree but I think that holds for everyone. Cotto is far from a shot fighter and he's fighting at his natural weight class and is in his prime (or close to it). This is less of a given fight than Pacquiao at 147, in my opinion.

Not a problem, just make sure you're calling him out on the right shit.

"Money" hype talk. No way he really believes that, which is why he keeps fighting.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if he ever fought Martinez, honestly. It could happen but once Sergio won the middleweight title, I marked him off the list.
If Bob Arum wants Manny to fight Floyd, it will happen. But if Tim Bradley pulls off the upset of the year (last 5 years), he gets into the Mayweather sweepstakes.
Depending on how he looks against an old Mosley, I see nothing wrong with Canelo except his lack of big fight experience. If he beats Cotto and then fights Canelo, he would be taking on the top two jr middleweights in boxing, one of whom is significantly younger and stronger, not something to be mad at at all.

hype talk or not he needs to keep Ali & Robinson out of his mouth dude hasn't done close to anything those cats have done in Boxing...

next Cotto is shot he didn't struggle with a one leg Foreman?

you think he has a legit chance against May who is faster & moves better than him currently?

& Cotto was Top 5 not #1 because of Floyd why not fight a top 5 P4P fighter who fights around your weight class Floyd?

cats can't keep blaming Arum its takes 2...:smh:

all I'm saying these fights are wack IMO...$65 for a PPV against Cotto in 2012 not worth it....if Cotto ain't shot he has slowed down even you bruh can't deny that while Mayweather is still in his prime...

merce77

Star
Registered

hype talk or not he needs to keep Ali & Robinson out of his mouth dude hasn't done close to anything those cats have done in Boxing...

next Cotto is shot he didn't struggle with a one leg Foreman?

you think he has a legit chance against May who is faster & moves better than him currently?

& Cotto was Top 5 not #1 because of Floyd why not fight a top 5 P4P fighter who fights around your weight class Floyd?

cats can't keep blaming Arum its takes 2...:smh:

all I'm saying these fights are wack IMO...$65 for a PPV against Cotto in 2012 not worth it....if Cotto ain't shot he has slowed down even you bruh can't deny that while Mayweather is still in his prime...

Sorry dude, the cat who wupped Margarito's ass a few months ago looked no different to me than the cat who whupped Zab Judah and outboxed Shane Mosley years ago. Cotto isn't shot, I don't know what evidence ya'll have to support your claims because I don't see it at all. Dudes speed movement and power were all there. And supposedly he doesn't have power but he ko'd a much bigger Mayorga with a left hook after just boxing him the whole fight. As far as Floyd I agree with some of what you're saying. I can't get with the whole "it's all Arum's fault" shit either. I won't give Floyd the benefit of the doubt that he hasn't avoided ANYONE and that poor Floyd has tried to make all the match ups everyone wants to see but it's everyone else fault that they haven't happened. Nobody can sell me that bullshit.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

Sorry dude, the cat who wupped Margarito's ass a few months ago looked no different to me than the cat who whupped Zab Judah and outboxed Shane Mosley years ago. Cotto isn't shot, I don't know what evidence ya'll have to support your claims because I don't see it at all. Dudes speed movement and power were all there. And supposedly he doesn't have power but he ko'd a much bigger Mayorga with a left hook after just boxing him the whole fight. As far as Floyd I agree with some of what you're saying. I can't get with the whole "it's all Arum's fault" shit either. I won't give Floyd the benefit of the doubt that he hasn't avoided ANYONE and that poor Floyd has tried to make all the match ups everyone wants to see but it's everyone else fault that they haven't happened. Nobody can sell me that bullshit.

always respected Cotto inside & outside the ring but fam you don't think he has slowed down?

Cotto had redemption on his mind against Marg...a fight the day before the PR parade at MSG...against a man who you thought cheated who beat you terribly in front of your fam...tho I picked Marg to win that fight I was not a surprised to see Cotto motivated for this fight...

& now that I look back at it beating Marg & Mayorga is nothing to hang your hat on right now....

Mayweather is a different animal...Cotto in my eyes has slowed down...his power is no longer there...& movement has been a problem.....

Floyd will box circles around him...I give Cotto maybe 2 rds against Floyd

& C/S with the Floyd part of your post

merce77

Star
Registered

always respected Cotto inside & outside the ring but fam you don't think he has slowed down?

Cotto had redemption on his mind against Marg...a fight the day before the PR parade at MSG...against a man who you thought cheated who beat you terribly in front of your fam...tho I picked Marg to win that fight I was not a surprised to see Cotto motivated for this fight...

& now that I look back at it beating Marg & Mayorga is nothing to hang your hat on right now....

Mayweather is a different animal...Cotto in my eyes has slowed down...his power is no longer there...& movement has been a problem.....

Floyd will box circles around him...I give Cotto maybe 2 rds against Floyd

& C/S with the Floyd part of your post

Cotto is a small man fighting in a traditionally big mans weight. Of course he's slower and appears to have less power. But I'm sure Mayorga, Foreman and Margarito would disagree with you since he stopped each one and none looked pretty after their fight with him and these guys were a lot bigger than him. Again go back and watch the fights. If anything Cotto is a smarter more effective fighter in the ring than 5 years ago. He no longer wings shots and trades when he should box, he clinches when he should and while he doesn't go to the body as often, he's not open to getting countered with the overhand right and caught when throwing the left to the body which used to happen a lot. I see no problem with Floyd fighting Cotto at this juncture. Now if he goes after Canelo next I will cry foul because that ginger mufucca has done NOTHING to earn a fight against Floyd while Sergio has been putting head after head to sleep.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

Cotto is a small man fighting in a traditionally big mans weight. Of course he's slower and appears to have less power. But I'm sure Mayorga, Foreman and Margarito would disagree with you since he stopped each one and none looked pretty after their fight with him and these guys were a lot bigger than him. Again go back and watch the fights. If anything Cotto is a smarter more effective fighter in the ring than 5 years ago. He no longer wings shots and trades when he should box, he clinches when he should and while he doesn't go to the body as often, he's not open to getting countered with the overhand right and caught when throwing the left to the body which used to happen a lot. I see no problem with Floyd fighting Cotto at this juncture. Now if he goes after Canelo next I will cry foul because that ginger mufucca has done NOTHING to earn a fight against Floyd while Sergio has been putting head after head to sleep.

how many rds Cotto wins against Mayweather?

you think he even gets close to winning this fight?

Marg who has a solid chin said Cotto hits like a girl the way he was just walking through Cotto's punches with his chin in the air in the last fight just shows how much power Cotto lacks at MW...he broke down Marg, Foreman & Mayorga with accumulation of damage throughout the fight....all these guys are easy to hit...they have no great defensive skill, speed or elite countering...

Mayweather is damn near untouchable...no one can land a flush shot on him...& I doubt if Cotto does land that one shot he has the power to put Mayweather away...

PBF blows pass him JMO

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I agree but don't get me confused, it would be totally ignornat to say he hasn't avoided anyone. He ducked the shit out of Paul Williams but so did everyone else. I think he could have beaten Williams but he wasn't taking any chances. The risk versuse reward wasn't adding up for him (or Cotto or Mosley or Pacquiao or Berto) to take that fight and that's how he ended up fighting Martinez in the first place. But even with Williams, if he doesn't lose to Quintana, HBO never jumps off his bandwagon and he starts getting bigger fights and the reward starts equalling the risk.

I'm not a fan of him fighting Canelo since, as you stated, he hasn't done anything to warrant such a big fight, at least not in the ring (other than be rabidly popular with Mexicans and be White. Mexican but still White). But I just see him getting anywhere near Sergio and if Sergio does fight and beat Chavez this fall or winter, hell no. I think it's a damn shame that Sergio has to fight at middleweight because no top jr middleweights (Cotto and Alvarez) will fight him.

merce77

Star
Registered

I agree but don't get me confused, it would be totally ignornat to say he hasn't avoided anyone. He ducked the shit out of Paul Williams but so did everyone else. I think he could have beaten Williams but he wasn't taking any chances. The risk versuse reward wasn't adding up for him (or Cotto or Mosley or Pacquiao or Berto) to take that fight and that's how he ended up fighting Martinez in the first place. But even with Williams, if he doesn't lose to Quintana, HBO never jumps off his bandwagon and he starts getting bigger fights and the reward starts equalling the risk.

I'm not a fan of him fighting Canelo since, as you stated, he hasn't done anything to warrant such a big fight, at least not in the ring (other than be rabidly popular with Mexicans and be White. Mexican but still White). But I just see him getting anywhere near Sergio and if Sergio does fight and beat Chavez this fall or winter, hell no. I think it's a damn shame that Sergio has to fight at middleweight because no top jr middleweights (Cotto and Alvarez) will fight him.

I understand the whole risk/reward thing but doesn't avoiding this guy and fighting this guy for money or whatever the reason take away from his all time status? People aren't going to see the reasons why, they won't care. They'll just see that he didn't fight certain guys and like the whole Manny fiasco, it's gonna fall on Floyd's shoulders. I'm not mad at him for it, or his resume but I just can't look at his resume and say "hey this guy belongs in the top 5 pound for pound. We can say "Floyd would beat this guy and this guy but no one knows what will happen once you get in the ring. Also the all time dudes pretty much all had over 60, 70 fights on their resume. You fight that often and eventually you are gonna take a loss or 2, I don't care who you are(excluding Ray Robinson).

merce77

Star
Registered

Incidentally, years ago someone told me that Sugar Shane was going to destroy Cotto for the same reasons that people are saying Floyd will. Cotto was too slow, he didn't hit hard enough, he couldn't box.....

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I understand the whole risk/reward thing but doesn't avoiding this guy and fighting this guy for money or whatever the reason take away from his all time status? People aren't going to see the reasons why, they won't care. They'll just see that he didn't fight certain guys and like the whole Manny fiasco, it's gonna fall on Floyd's shoulders. I'm not mad at him for it, or his resume but I just can't look at his resume and say "hey this guy belongs in the top 5 pound for pound. We can say "Floyd would beat this guy and this guy but no one knows what will happen once you get in the ring. Also the all time dudes pretty much all had over 60, 70 fights on their resume. You fight that often and eventually you are gonna take a loss or 2, I don't care who you are(excluding Ray Robinson).

I agree. I think Floyd will need to win this fight and beat either Manny or Sergio (or both) to get in the Top 5 p4p all time list. As/is, he's definitely not there. Reasons aside, if the fights didn't happen, you can't get credit.

Incidentally, years ago someone told me that Sugar Shane was going to destroy Cotto for the same reasons that people are saying Floyd will. Cotto was too slow, he didn't hit hard enough, he couldn't box.....

I remember thinking Shane had him until late in the fight so the mistake that person made was using the word "destroy".