USA Basketball will NOT win Gold.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wasn't it during FIBA when Paul George had his accident?......

Top talent is not signing up for FIBA's with that possibility still so fresh....

Give it another 5 years and NIKE /Addias will be able to convince someone to do it for exposure and a decent check on the side.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Top talent is not signing up for FIBA's with that possibility still so fresh....

Give it another 5 years and NIKE /Addias will be able to convince someone to do it for exposure and a decent check on the side.

Most top talent do the Olympics which is next year for the exposure...

The FIBA's are the hardest to get commitments and it's usually with 2nd tier and young players...

It also doesn't help the NBA MVP is playing for Greece a and the the Defensive player of the year plays for France.

The USA most talented player Tatuam is only 21.... International ball is a different beast...

Postalone

Reborn
Registered
Damn shame top players bailed. But I guess they're gearing up for the Olympics next summer. Fox should have stayed because he certainly won't make the Olympic team next summer.

kain

Professional Bastard Bum
Platinum Member
The rest of the world is playing more and caught up or even passed American Basketball.
America is pretty pussified and to me the game reflects that.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Most top talent do the Olympics which is next year for the exposure...

The FIBA's are the hardest to get commitments and it's usually with 2nd tier and young players...

It also doesn't help the NBA MVP is playing for Greece a and the the Defensive player of the year plays for France.

The USA most talented player Tatuam is only 21.... International ball is a different beast...

Exactly the Olympics are around the corner, why olay FIBA when I have a season, (possibly playoffs) AND the Olympics coming up... This is resting time for top talent. I imagine the year before the Olympics is always a tough commitment year. And again, why risk getting hurt for this tournament? There is no panache or anything spectacular about FIBA. at least with the Olympics mfkrs will be around the world's best athletes (read top boxes to bag).

The rest of the world is playing more and caught up or even passed American Basketball.
America is pretty pussified and to me the game reflects that.

I wouldn't go that far. Team USA in the Olympics can still slaughter some of the best teams around the world. These are tier 2 and extremely young cats representing the USA in FIBA

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i haven't watched any of these games this time as i seen the roster and kinda knew what the outcome would be. the stars don't care about fiba and wait for the olympics. i still think this does a good humbling for the players and coaches. just shows how talented our stars are once they band players together and expect greatness in like 30 days.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Exactly the Olympics are around the corner, why olay FIBA when I have a season, (possibly playoffs) AND the Olympics coming up... This is resting time for top talent. I imagine the year before the Olympics is always a tough commitment year. And again, why risk getting hurt for this tournament? There is no panache or anything spectacular about FIBA. at least with the Olympics mfkrs will be around the world's best athletes (read top boxes to bag).

I wouldn't go that far. Team USA in the Olympics can still slaughter some of the best teams around the world. These are tier 2 and extremely young cats representing the USA in FIBA

I can’t see kats making 150 and 200 million risking the Olympics anymore. PG is a lucky dude to get his co tract considering how badly he got injured.

Plus, these international teams have chemistry, which matters. Our top tier talent with no chemistry will look something like the year they got Bronze in Greece.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
This is on Pop and Colangelo.

Cats don't want to spend their off time playing for a disciplinarian.
Good point. Pop can be a pain in the ass at times to deal with

rdescO.jpg

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
https://deadspin.com/team-usa-embarrasses-itself-at-fiba-world-cup-jerry-co-1838072630/amp

Team USA lost its second straight FIBA World Cup game this morning in China, falling 94-89 to Serbia in a fifth-place consolation game, after yesterday’s embarrassing loss to France eliminated the American team from championship contention.

Now the team cannot finish higher than seventh place in the tournament. That will be the worst tournament finish by Team USA in its history.
Serbia’s Bogdan Bogdanovic led all scorers with 28 points; Harrison Barnes paced Team USA with 22. You don’t care about that, I don’t care about that, nobody cares about that. The important thing is that the Serbian team was comprehensively superior, as were the French, and that this is a spectacular face-plant.

There’s still a final humiliating mop-up game against Poland that will decide seventh and eighth place in the World Cup, but for all other purposes today’s loss concludes a farcical summer for Team USA.

It began with what seemed like every established, name-brand American basketball star—and at least one guy who can’t even crack his NBA team’s starting lineup—withdrawing from participation, but the program still sent more than enough firepower to China (Kemba Walker, Donovan Mitchell, Myles Turner, Jayson Tatum, Khris Middleton, etc.) to be this tournament’s clear favorite at the outset.

In fact, the safe assumption at the jump was that Team USA and Serbia would meet in the gold-medal game, rather than in a shameful consolation tilt with no medals at stake.

With none of the, what, top two dozen American basketball players participating, the result still doesn’t mean all that much. What I want to draw your attention to is USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo’s hilarious, bruised tough-guy routine in the aftermath.

From the Associated Press (emphasis added):

“I can only say, you can’t help but notice and remember who you thought you were going to war with and who didn’t show up,” Colangelo said. “I’m a firm believer that you deal with the cards you’re dealt. All we could have done, and we did it, is get the commitments from a lot of players. So with that kind of a hand you feel reasonably confident that you’re going to be able to put a very good representative team on the court.

“No one would have anticipated the pull-outs that we had.”
It’s true: Team USA suffered as a result of virtually all the country’s best basketball players declining to play for it. It’s also true that Jerry Colangelo will sprout a second head and name it Geoffrey before he will turn away any of the World Cup withdrawals who signal a willingness to join the team in Tokyo for the 2020 Summer Olympics. Not only will Jerry Colangelo willingly forget which players backed out of agreements to play in the World Cup if it helps him stack the roster for the Olympics, he’ll forget his own damn birthday.

What’s he gonna do? Punish Damian Lillard for backing out of the World Cup by... running out a shitty team in Tokyo and coming home without an Olympic medal? That’ll show those holdouts. Hand over the jewels, or so help me I’ll blast my own goddamn dick off with this shotgun! That’s not how it works, man.
Wait, there’s more.

“Going forward for USA Basketball, we’re going to need the cooperation of teams, agents and then there has to be communication with players 1-on-1 to solidify those commitments,” Colangelo said. “I am going to be anxious to see how many players reach out early to indicate that they wish and want and desire to play.
“But I’ll make this statement: It’s as much about maybe who we don’t want as much as who we want.”

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This is on Pop and Colangelo.

Cats don't want to spend their off time playing for a disciplinarian.
Nah.. alot of cats just didnt wanna make the time commitment. This isnt on Pop. He was out there with tier 3 players and once Tatum went down it pretty much sealed their fate.
This!! Dudes didnt wanna play for Pop. DeArron Fox bounced after Pop played him 8 minutes smh

I dont blame him
Ho shit on Fox part. And im not certain he would have made the final roster to begin with.

They need to attach Olympic participation to world cup participation. Alot of these cats have the shoe companies in their ear and since the world cup doesnt get the coverage they opt not to play. The olympics provide a world stage to advertise their brand so they line up for that. All these brothers who stayed the course and played should get first shot at making the olympic team.. and the ones who backed out without reason should not be eligible for olympic try outs.

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
I guess the stars of the nba don’t won’t to play in fiba anymore since Coach K isn’t the coach. I remember the last time USA basketball lost in Fiba. They had Allen Iverson and a few middling stars and they lost that shit. Then Coach K took over and he created a pipeline where nba cats was begging to get on the team. I guess Coach Popp don’t carry the same weight with the stars. Damn shame. Oh well. Bamas won’t even meddle and folks will get up in arms and then the stars will once again play in the Fiba championship. Watch.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bad personnel decisions.

Fox was cooking but he saw Pop playing his own man from the Spurs more, so he left.

Trey Young was COOKING the First Team but he saw that they weren't going to give him burn if he even made the team so he pulled out as well.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Bad personnel decisions.

Fox was cooking but he saw Pop playing his own man from the Spurs more, so he left.

Trey Young was COOKING the First Team but he saw that they weren't going to give him burn if he even made the team so he pulled out as well.
If cats were throwing temper tantrums over "burn" then they were in the wrong place to begin with man.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lost to France. Blame the guys at the top.

The Games should have been canceled due to COVID.

Many of these guys just got out the playoffs or even the Finals too.

Plenty of the other teams have NBA talent now. They aren't afraid of the USA. You can't just put talent out there, they need to get as a team.

Fix this shit Grant Hill

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Spain is the most likely winner.

Since they decided to go young, they should have Trey Young and John Collins on this team.

Young cooked team USA's A-squad in scrimmages.

I bet they wish they had Trae and John Collins now.

Laugh if you want but their games are both suited for FIBA.

You can take the ball off the rim...Collins would be real nice with his athleticism and we know what Trae can do.

MCP

International
International Member
The amount of salt in this thread by the USA losing as if they can't lose.

UNSEEN

Rising Star
Registered
Lost to France. Blame the guys at the top.

The Games should have been canceled due to COVID.

Many of these guys just got out the playoffs or even the Finals too.

Plenty of the other teams have NBA talent now. They aren't afraid of the USA. You can't just put talent out there, they need to get as a team.

Fix this shit Grant Hill
I think I agree..especially the other countries have NBA vets..France got Rudy Gobert and Evan Fournier..USA got players that's mediocre..its cool to see Jrue and Dbook and Middleton out there..they just gave us a classic Finals and it hasn't even been a week and they're out there ballin for team USA..that's pretty dope..they gon have to pick it up tho..they should be able to pull it off..they still have best talent even tho there's no real stars out there..just my opinion...

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The amount of salt in this thread by the USA losing as if they can't lose.

We have set a semi high standard......and they are performing below it.....the bad exhibition games....and now losing to teams that don't appear to be on their level let alone better than them.

Fournier and Batum?!...... really

Golbert is gonna golbert......