Trailer: Shang Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings

PliggaNease

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I definitely enjoyed it. The fight scenes were very well choreographed and shot. Simu Liu and Awkwafina had good chemistry. Looking forward to seeing where this character goes, especially after the 2 bonus scenes.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Outstanding!!!

this might be my favorite marvel movie

20!!

As a fan of Chinese Wuxia movies… I fucking love how faithful this kept for an American made martial arts flick…

i was really not expecting to like this movie at all. We only went cause we were bored at home.

i also love that they didn’t reveal who he killed in America in this movie…and saved it for the sequel..

I think it’s obvious who it was and that it is going to have major consequences when it’s revealed in the sequel.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Years ago I found some Master of Kung Fu comics and I thought Shang Chi was a pretty cool character as he took on Doctor Doom and an assortment of other sinister Marvel characters.
Now he gets the big screen treatment in this story about Shang-Chi confronting the past he thought he left behind when he's drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.
I thought the entire cast including : Simu Liu ,Awkwafina,Meng'er Zhang,Fala Chen, Florian Munteanu
Benedict Wong,Michelle Yeoh,Ben Kingsley and Tony Leung did a great job.
Shang and Xu Wenwu have the most estranged father and son relationship since Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. This gives the film some great dramatic weight.
One scene with Awkwafina was supposed to be suspenseful but I actually found it funny because of the sounds and visuals attached to it,which wasn't a minus but a plus for me.
I was much more receptive of an MCU created character I found extremely lame before.
I actually thought The Abomination looked more like Ch'od from the Star Jammers.

I loved what the film had to say about loss and how it can alter multiple destinies.How obsession can lead to one's downfall and You don't have to run away from who you are, and just because you embrace it that doesn't mean people can guilt or manipulate you into doing something wrong.
There are some terrific action sequences that even when they are not laced with a ton of SFX are thrilling.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is as much a celebration of Asian culture as Black Panther was of Black culture.

PROBLEMS: The film stalls a bit once it reaches it's last 40 minutes.Some story threads were a bit clichéd. Some of the SFX was a bit choppy at times.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
DEFINITLY NOT Black Panther

i totally disagree with this. shang-chi "borrowed" many elements from black panther. including the family dynamics and the score.

it was glaringly obvious during the score. they used an interpolation of the same music that black panther used pretty much anytime shang-chi and his father interacted. also when they got to the underground fight it might as well have been the afro-tech music from black panther.

this movie was nearly an asian black panther if a couple of character's motivations were slightly different.

Last edited:

Who_I_AM

BGOL Original Veteran /C.S.I.
BGOL Investor
i totally disagree with this. shang-chi "borrowed" many elements from black panther. including the family dynamics and the score.

it was glaringly obvious during the score. they used an interpolation of the same music that black panther used pretty much anytime shang-chi and his father interacted. also when they got to the underground fight it might as well have been the afro-tech music from black panther.

this movie was nearly an asian black panther if a couple of character's motivations were slightly different.
I simply meant that the story wasn't as good as Black Panther

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

yeah I don’t get the black panther connection at all.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Also I didn’t know Simu Liu is an actually stuntman… which makes fucking sense. There is nothing like watching an actor doing his own stunts.. my man has star quality.. Reminds me of the dudes from Into the Badlands… man I would pay money to have all three of them in the sequel to this movie.

Last edited:

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
in the comics tony stark was an alcoholic who at one point lost stark international to Obadiah Stane in a hostile take over AND his alcoholism was the reason rhodey had to take over as iron man... in fact for a period of time in the comics rhodey was iron man...then stark recovered and because he did such a good job in the suit stark made an ironman suit for rhodey and thats how war machine came to be.

it was a great story arc that was never even hinted at in the MCU...I don't think they ever established that stark has a drinking problem in the movies. I assume its because RDJ is a real life recovering addict and it may hit too close to home tho..

in the comics Shang Chi big nemesis was his father Dr. Fu Manchu im not sure how well that flies in todays age but much of his recurring issues was with his father.

Demon in a bottle. They only hinted at his alcoholism in the movies and shit.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah I thought the first two acts of Captain Marvel were excellent and the third act was the Weakest ...

That I'm just a Girl bit didn't feel right at all..

And I saw that movie with like 6 girls of varying ages who all would agree with you.

Captain Marvel was far from perfect and a lot of it had to do with the lead.

But Sam Jackson, the Skrulls, the soundtrack, the effects and supporting cast were STRONG.

again it had its flaws and was under a lot of pressure

Should have been BETTER but was far from terrible.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Also I didn’t know Simu Liu is an actually stuntman… which makes fucking sense. There is nothing like watching an actor doing his own stunts.. my man has star quality.. Reminds me of the dudes from Into the Badlands… man I would pay money to have all three of them in the sequel to this movie.

You know what.... I can fuck with this Simu Liu dude..

Definitely would pay money to see him, Lewis Tan and Daniel Wu in the Sequel ...