The Official 2023-2024 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Things to know about Mason Rudolph, the new Steelers QB

Ben Roethlisberger is out for the year with an elbow injury. That means Mason Rudolph is now the Steelers’ starter.

In case you haven’t been following his career, here are five important things to know about the now-former backup.

1. He starred at Oklahoma State — In three full years as a starter, he piled up 13,618 yards and 92 touchdowns against 26 interceptions. His Cowboys won at least 10 games in each of those years, and in 2015, they appeared in the Sugar Bowl after ranking as high as No. 4 in the Associated Press poll. Few offenses were as potent as his in those years.

2. Scouts liked him in the draft process — He was not the darling of the 2018 draft. Those honors belonged to Oklahoma rival Baker Mayfield, who went No. 1 overall to the Browns. Still, he got positive reviews in the weeks leading up to his selection by the Steelers in the third round. NFL analyst Lance Zierleain offered this assessment.

“Pocket quarterback with good size who has shown consistent improvement as a passer. Rudolph is more of a downfield, play-action passer than a quarterback who can win with precision and arm strength. He's a capable field reader who has the ability to operate with timing which will be important since his arm can be dull at times. Rudolph could be an early backup with the potential of becoming an average to below average starter in the league.”

3. His first season was a learning experience — Many hoped Rudolph would take over the backup role last year, but he lost a preseason competition with Josh Dobbs and didn’t appear in any regular-season game action. Nor did he get many snaps with first-teamers in practice. He used that time to “dive” into the playbook and arrived at training camp this year hoping to compete for the backup job again.

4. His preseason impressed — That work paid off. Rudolph looked much better this spring and summer, and felt it, too. He told reporters in August that he felt “10 times better” than he did when he joined the team a year ago.

“I’m having much more fun,” Rudolph said. “It’s coming so much more naturally. The game has slowed down. I’m just ready to play. I’m ready to play someone in another uniform. Go out there have fun and let it rip.”

He was rewarded with the backup job after completing 65% of his passes, throwing for 368 yards and four touchdowns against just one interception during the preseason. Dobbs has since been traded to Jacksonville for a draft pick.

5. His debut went well — Rudolph replaced Roethlisberger in the third quarter of the 28-26 loss to Seattle at Heinz Field and he looked ready to step in. After throwing an interception on his first drive, he came back to throw two touchdowns and pass for 112 yards. His passer rating was a solid 92.4 and would have been even better if not for the pick that wasn’t really his fault — receiver Donte Moncrief tipped the ball high in the air before it was intercepted.

Had he started the game we would have beaten Seattle. We'll see what he can do in Saf Francisco. Dude can play. We just have to see much more of it

fgtwqp.jpg

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I'm thinking with this Fitzpatrick trade Davis's shoulder injury maybe serious. If not he can play corner as well.

qsNyfb.jpg

THREAD_CRITIC

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
He will....this is Rothlisberger last year!!!
Very possible. Like I said trading him to the Bucs to reunite him with Bruce Ariens would be something he would like. Get that 1st rounder we traded with Miami for Fitzpatrick back. I know that's what Tomlin and Colbert are thinking.

xOrVAH.jpg

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He will....this is Rothlisberger last year!!!

He better, because if he doesn't, you do not have a high pick for another franchise qb. Who is the backup now that Dobbs is traded?

Same with Conner, so far, he does not seem like much of a RB1.

I am not too sold on the receiving corps future either, other than JuJu, but we will see if Johnson and Washington make huge strides.

" Good Grief" Moncrief has confidence issues.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
He better, because if he doesn't, you do not have a high pick for another franchise qb. Who is the backup now that Dobbs is traded?

I am not too sold on the receiving corps future either, other than JuJu, but we will see if Johnson and Washington make huge strides.

The biggest issue with the running game is we're not staying committed to it. Too many bullshit 3rd and short shotgun situations. Its absolutely ridiculous. Devlin Hodges is the backup to Mason but being realistic unless you have the 78 Steelers or 85 Bears defense if your down to your 3rd stringer your season is over. That's for any team. Let's see what Mason can do.

s4rOEa.jpg

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Somebody has to be fired

10 years of Tomlin has been ass

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If they lose they lose still doesn't negate the fact that the 49ers have been ass for 17 out of the last 20 years :dunno:

Humble yourself

Games are more fun to watch, if you have something on the line
This is for a little male pride, and for BGOL bragging rights fam ;)
When the schedule came out, you probably didn't even have this game on your radar
But now on Sunday, you're gonna be thinking "Damn we need to win to shut that dude CurtDawg up"
And I'm gonna be watching like "Damn we need to win cause I talked a lot of trash to those Steelers fans"

Honestly I'm curious to see how Mason Rudolph plays
He actually looked pretty decent last week against Seattle
I remember when Alex Smith got hurt & the first game Kaep started
Dude tore it up against the Bears, running & passing
Same thing with our backup QB last year, Nick Mullens
And look at the Jags backup QB Gardner Minshew

Plus one of our pass rushers might not play, Dee Ford
So I'm curious to see how much pressure we can put on Rudolph
And our left tackle Joe Staley is out, so I'm curious to see if we can handle TJ Watt
Plus how much will Minkah Fitzpatrick play

Lets Go !!!
:hellyea:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Games are more fun to watch, if you have something on the line
This is for a little male pride, and for BGOL bragging rights fam ;)
When the schedule came out, you probably didn't even have this game on your radar
But now on Sunday, you're gonna be thinking "Damn we need to win to shut that dude CurtDawg up"
And I'm gonna be watching like "Damn we need to win cause I talked a lot of trash to those Steelers fans"

Honestly I'm curious to see how Mason Rudolph plays
He actually looked pretty decent last week against Seattle
I remember when Alex Smith got hurt & the first game Kaep started
Dude tore it up against the Bears, running & passing
Same thing with our backup QB last year, Nick Mullens
And look at the Jags backup QB Gardner Minshew

Plus one of our pass rushers might not play, Dee Ford
So I'm curious to see how much pressure we can put on Rudolph
And our left tackle Joe Staley is out, so I'm curious to see if we can handle TJ Watt
Plus how much will Minkah Fitzpatrick play

Lets Go !!!
:hellyea:
I think Mason will be just fine. Minkah is playing the entire game.

O64sqz.jpg