The Official 2018-2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've said it before he got some real bad advice from his agent. And has lost 7 mil so far this year. At this point, no one will give him what he wants.

PULkpo.jpg

I think there are a few teams that would make Bell the highest paid rb in the league, but he will never recoup his money, and I doubt he will ever be in better situation than if he had taken the 5 year, 70 million, 33 million guaranteed. His agent did not consider the high chances of winning the SB, the plethora of endorsements, and how comfortable he would have been playing along Hall of Fame players, and a great coach.

tumblr_phnfr9JBrH1tmfcuno1_640.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

Real talk. To make matters even worse with his ass not showing up the Steelers can now place a transition tag on him after the season. Matching any offer he gets from another team. Worse, it'll be only worth 10 mil as opposed to 16 mil for another franchise tag year. He still owes another years service. This is the shit I'm sure his agent didn't go over with him. :smh:

2GI2js.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I think there are a few teams that would make Bell the highest paid rb in the league, but he will never recoup his money, and I doubt he will ever be in better situation than if he had taken the 5 year, 70 million, 33 million guaranteed. His agent did not consider the high chances of winning the SB, the plethora of endorsements, and how comfortable he would have been playing along Hall of Fame players, and a great coach.

tumblr_phnfr9JBrH1tmfcuno1_640.jpg
Excellent points. Plus, who's giving him 40 mil upfront from him being a full year removed from competition? His agent sucks.

Vf90uh.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Damn, Leveon, terrible timing for the shit he pulled. I guess it was the O Line all along:dunno:

tumblr_p7m5p82A8o1qeu577o1_1280.jpg

At this point the players don't give a fuck if he comes back. Makes no damn sense. He threw away 9 mil and will now come back for 5mil? He fucked up. :smh: That 14 mil was guaranteed start of the season.

50itZj.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
'Riled up' Steelers defense made sure Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco ate his words

BALTIMORE — Most Steelers players were unaware of the words Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco said after the first meeting against the Steelers at Heinz Field. After a 26-14 Ravens victory, Flacco said: “I really just felt we could have 28, 30, 35 points up out there at halftime. …It’s not like today was the toughest Pittsburgh Steeler games I’ve ever played.

Offensive lineman Ramon Foster made sure his teammates became aware of those words in advance of the rematch. It was instant bulletin board material his defensive teammates ate up with a fury.

“It was all over the media,” defensive back Mike Hilton crowed after the Steelers handed the Ravens a 23-16 setback in the rematch Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium. “It just kept going all around the room. Once we saw it was like ‘All right, we’re not physical apparently. Let’s go out there and do what we have to do to show them.’”

Flacco wasn’t nearly as effective Sunday as he was in late September, when he threw for 363 yards on the Steelers. He threw for just 209 yards Sunday in a third consecutive losing effort for the Ravens.

The Steelers sacked Flacco twice and harassed him much of the game. They knocked him to the turf on the first drive of the game, and he had to be checked by trainers on the sideline.

“We were locked in all week,” Hilton said. “As soon as we heard what Flacco said, that lit the fire underneath us. We had a physical mindset and get the win. When you hear another team say something like that it gets you riled up and ready to go.”

The victory gives the Steelers a 5-2-1 record at the midway point of the season. The Bengals are 5-3 and the Ravens are 4-5 entering their off week.

No big plays

The Ravens hurt the Steelers with several big plays when they beat the Steelers in September. Receiver John Brown had three receptions for 116 yards. In the rematch, he had three receptions for 17 yards.

“We did a really good job,” cornerback Joe Haden said. “We made sure they didn’t catch any balls on the outside. We tried to keep Brown in the box and not let him get over the top like he did the last time. We paid a lot more attention to him."

Haden said defensive coordinator Keith Butler changed his defensive looks in the rematch.

“We tried to keep them under 200 yards passing and keep them uncomfortable,” Haden said. “Putting pressure on them and getting hits on them. We gave them a lot of different looks in this game than last game, and that’s why we did better.”

A record pace

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is on pace to break his franchise record for most passing yards in a season. Through eight games, Roethlisberger has thrown for 2,560 yards, a pace of 5,120. In 2014, he threw for 2,380 in the first eight games and finished with 4,952 yards, his career best.

This ’n’ that

Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown have connected on 68 touchdown passes, the seventh-most for a quarterback-receiver duo in NFL history. … Brown now has caught a touchdown pass in six consecutive games. His nine touchdowns in the first eight games of the season are the most by any Steelers player in franchise history. … Steelers coach Mike Tomlin now is 12-12 all time against the Ravens and his record against AFC North Division foes now stands at 50-20-1. … Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster led all players with 78 receiving yards. … Steelers tight end Jesse James caught a career-long 51-yard pass. … Steelers defensive end Stephon Tuitt has a sack in three consecutive games.

Inactives

The Steelers deactivated right tackle Marcus Gilbert, quarterback Mason Rudolph, tackle Zach Banner, defensive backs Brian Allen and Marcus Allen, defensive tackle L.T. Walton and receiver Justin Hunter.

The Ravens deactivated starting tackles James Hurst and Ronnie Stanley, tight end Maxx Williams, running back Ty Montgomery, linebacker Tim Williams, receiver Jordan Lasley and quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Steelers definitely remembered Flacco talkin shit after the first meeting.

FTIxg5.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Le'Veon Bell's Holdout Has Become a Historic Disaster...for Le'Veon Bell

Le'Veon Bell must have been hoping he would have an Emmitt Smith-style holdout.

Smith held out of Cowboys training camp for a new contract after winning his second straight rushing title and the first of three Super Bowl rings in January 1993. The Cowboys played hardball and tried to replace the future Hall of Famer and all-time rushing leader with a fourth-round rookie named Derrick Lassic. They even force-fed Lassic the ball when Smith skipped the first two games of the regular season, as if to prove a point.

The Cowboys proved a point, all right. They scored a total of 26 points in back-to-back losses. Charles Haley blew his stack in the locker room after the second loss, shouting, "We're never gonna win with this f--king rookie!"

Jerry Jones then flew to Atlanta personally to bring Smith back to the Cowboys and make him the NFL's highest-paid running back for the princely '90s sum of $13.6 million over four years.

"I'm glad you're getting this, Emmitt," Jones said at the post-signing press conference. "Are you happy?"

"Very much," Smith replied.

Maybe if Bell had returned after two weeks, when the Steelers were 0-1-1 and James Conner was coming off a bad game in the Chiefs loss, the story of his 2018 season would be all paychecks and obsequiously purring employers.

But Bell decided to hold out past the point of diminishing returns and common sense.

So instead of a Haley trashing his replacement and pounding the lockers for his return, Bell's teammates have moved on.

"I love playing with Conner," left tackle Alejandro Villanueva said, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I don't have anything to say about Le'Veon. I don't even know what shape he is in right now."

Instead of a Jones contritely asking him if he wants an extra pillow to rest his contract-signing hand upon, Bell has Mike Tomlin scoffing at his absence by saying, "We need volunteers, not hostages."

Instead of sympathetic columnists (like me) and talk-show personalities beating our "pay-the-man" tom-toms for him, Bell has been rendered so irrelevant for so many weeks that he is now the butt of Rob Riggle skits.

Instead of a triumph for himself and future franchise-tag objectors, Bell has trapped himself in the most disastrous holdout in NFL history.

He has cost himself $855,529 per week during his 10-week holdout. That's $8.6 million in sunk earnings and counting. It's hard to imagine a scenario in which some future contract makes up for the money he has passed up this season.

Sure, Bell might have risked his future earning potential with an injury. That argument made sense in training camp, and maybe the first game check or two was worth the risk-reward ratio. But giving up $8.6 million today to avoid the risk of losing future earnings is like cutting off your foot to prevent an ingrown toenail. Or as economic experts like to say: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But wait: It gets worse for Bell. Not only has Conner stepped in for the Steelers and provided nearly identical production to Bell for less than 10 percent of the cost...

• The Broncos stuck an old Terrell Davis jersey on undrafted rookie Phillip Lindsay, and Lindsay instantly became the AFC's third-leading rusher. (Conner leads the conference.)
  • The Patriots solved an injury crunch at running back by sliding wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson into the I-formation with little drop-off in production.
  • The Falcons replaced the injured Devonta Freeman—one of the NFL's highest-paid running backs—with a platoon of Tevin Coleman and rookie Ito Smith, who have combined for 880 scrimmage yards and 10 touchdowns.
  • The 49ers replaced injured free agent Jerick McKinnon (who signed a four-year, $30-million deal in the offseason) with undrafted sophomore Matt Breida, who ranks fourth in the NFC in rushing and averages 5.5 yards per carry.
It's as if the entire NFL rose up to prove the point that running back talent is plentiful and overpaying for even a great one is ill-advised. There will be bidders for Bell's services in 2019, but few will back up the money truck after seeing how easily Bell (and Freeman, and McKinnon) was replaced.

Bell has passed up $8.6 million and counting to ride his Jet Ski and watch the market for his services crash.

Extending the holdout this long has been a tragic miscalculation by both Bell and his agent, who—based on Jesse Washington's profile in The Undefeated—appears to be using Bell's contract to advance a philosophical/sociopolitical cause, which, while laudable, is a little too broad to be shouldered by one client.

Things were different in Emmitt Smith's time. Running backs didn't grow on trees back then. Or if they did, NFL teams did not yet know how easy they were to pluck.

Before Smith, Eric Dickerson set the gold standard for running back contract disputes. He held out from the Rams for two games in 1985. Two years later he made it clear he was unhappy with his contract, prompting the Rams to engineer an epic trade that landed him with the Colts as the NFL's highest-paid running back. Then he held out of Colts camp until the team suspended him for six games (Dickerson holdouts always came with a side of public nastiness), but the Colts relented during a poor season and upped Dickerson's earnings even further.

The Cowboys, Rams and Colts didn't have a Conner on their bench, because NFL benches were not full of Conner/Lindsay/Breida types and the NFL was more run-oriented back then, so they relented and paid their star running backs. The Steelers, hamstrung by the rules of the franchise tag, couldn't negotiate a new deal during the season even if Conner didn't become the feel-good story of the season. That makes Bell's continued absence even more inexplicable.

No list of disastrous holdouts is complete without at least a mention of JaMarcus Russell. The Raiders' first-round selection in 2007 held out through his entire rookie training camp before signing a deal with about $31 million in guarantees at the start of that season.

Russell turned out to have weight and general workplace-readiness issues; in retrospect, showing up for camp on time probably would not have saved his career. From Russell's standpoint, holding out for the maximum dollar amount before anyone saw him at work was the smartest possible decision.

That's a long way from Emmitt getting Jerrah to bow before him or Dickerson making the Rams and Colts cry uncle. It's a lot more like what happened with John Riggins in 1981.

Riggins held out for the entire 1980 season in a bitter contract dispute with the Redskins. It was an ugly stalemate, with the NFLPA filing a grievance and many of the fans of that era turning on the bruising rusher because fans in those days were told free agency was evil and holdouts like Riggins were practically grave robbers.

Then Riggins suddenly showed up for minicamp in 1981, with no guarantee of a raise from his $350,000 annual salary.

"I'm bored, broke and back," the future Hall of Famer famously said. He added that he took some classes at the University of Kansas during his time off.

"I got a 'B' in my money management class, but then I didn't have any to manage," he said.

Riggins lost the grievance, never got his 1980 money back, and ended up signing a contract not too different from his pre-1980 deal. But at least he and the Redskins enjoyed their greatest seasons after the dispute. Unless they come together for a Super Bowl run this year, Bell and the Steelers won't even have that.

Bell won't be broke when he returns, and he's probably not bored. But this catastrophe of a holdout was a master's class in money management and holdout history. And Bell paid some steep tuition.

Bottom line is Bell's agent gave him some horrendous advice on how to handle this. :smh:

fP6BXX.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Damn we might fuck around and put up 60 on Carolina. Need a stop before halftime . We get the ball back in the second half.

T9HQsM.jpg

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Y'all got Cam out there all sort of fucked up,
But make no mistake about it... Its still fuck the Steelers round here!! Haha

Cam is gonna find a way to come back in the 2nd half!!

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Steelers looking like SB favorites in the AFC now, this is an impressive ass whooping.

Their defense is better than KC's and the Patriots.

tumblr_phnxkljR771wpdkeno1_1280.jpg