The Official 2018-2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Damn I'm late with it. QB's look pretty good so far. Jones hopefully is the odd man out. Fuck him. I like Dobbs and Mason.

CWobJP.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Randy Fichtner's learning process with the Steelers is far from complete

In his first game as the new coordinator of one of the top offenses in the NFL, Randy Fichtner admitted to a few nerves before the preseason opener in Philadelphia. But it had little to do with the responsibilities of his position. Rather, it was the usual anxiety and anticipation that comes with every game, preseason or regular season.

“I’m nervous whether I’m calling plays or not,” Fichtner said. “It’s that feeling you have when you go into competition. You put a lot into it, and you want to win.”

While winning is important to every coach, the preseason is a time for development and evaluation — seeking improvement from young players already on the roster and determining which newcomers should be part of the team for the start of the regular season.

For Fichtner, 54, it is something of a transition period, as well. An original member of Mike Tomlin’s first coaching staff, he has spent the past eight seasons as the Steelers’ quarterbacks coach, working with Ben Roethlisberger and helping to develop Landry Jones. Now, though, he has the added responsibility of replacing Todd Haley as offensive coordinator and trying to further develop an offense that ranked third in the league in total yards and passing yards in 2017.

His first go at it was last week against the defending Super Bowl champion Eagles. The next step in his development is Thursday night in Green Bay against the Packers.

“About kind of like I expected,” Fichtner said when asked to critique his opening-game performance in his new role. “There’s a lot of things to work out, probably a lot of communication type things. I was pleased the way the players responded. We as a staff have to do a little better job of communicating. I think we will. We’re all learning that together.”

Fichtner, who was an offensive coordinator for four seasons at Arkansas State (1997-2000) and five at the University of Memphis (2001-2006), was not promoted to overhaul or make major changes to the offense. And why would he? In the final eight games last season, the Steelers’ offense averaged 32.6 points and scored 31 or more points five times, including 42 in their playoff loss to Jacksonville.

But there will be subtle tweaks to the offense, some having to do with rhythm and pace, though little if anything that is detectable to the naked eye.

“I think we’re still discovering what that is,” said coach Mike Tomlin, who was on the same staff with Fichtner at Arkansas State from 1997-98. “We are going through a transition with Randy as coordinator, but we do have continuity in that he’s been here and been a part of us. The language and terminology aren’t changing, so a lot of the things you’re referring to and clarity will be revealed in play-calling and rhythm in terms of how the game is played out. That will be revealed to all of us as we push through the season.”

So what can Fichtner improve?

Well, for starters, the Steelers’ efficiency in the red zone has been lacking the past three seasons. Their touchdown conversion rate inside the 20 has steadily declined from 57.14 percent in 2015 to 54.24 percent in 2016 and 53.03 percent last season, 18th in the league. However, in conjunction with their offensive outburst in the final eight games in 2017, their red-zone TD percentage jumped to 72.73 in the final three games, fifth-best in the league.

Fichtner said he doesn’t feel as though he has to put his stamp on this offense.

“I don’t know if you look and say you have to put your stamp on it,” Fichtner said. “You want to do things we’re asking them to do, and that will only ever be things best suited for them and best suited for the quarterback.

“I tend to believe, if you look around the league, I bet you won’t find much new. If it hasn’t been done, it’s a matter of who does it better and who’s more detailed and who executes at the highest level and makes plays when it’s their time to make plays. That will be the ultimate.”

Then Fichnter paused and said, “If we’re being truthful, it’s about wins. If we’re not statistically good and we win, I sleep good at night and will continue to sleep good at night. I learned that from [No.] 7, I learned that from the Rooneys. In the end, that’s all that matters.”

Fichtner, though, has a heavy menu. In addition to running the offense for the first time in his professional career, he will continue to serve as the quarterbacks coach — a surprising move by the Steelers for a position they value so dearly. While the job of mentoring Roethlisberger is akin to being tourism director of Hawaii, Fichtner will have less time to spend working with Josh Dobbs and rookie Mason Rudolph. Dobbs and Rudolph will take all the snaps against the Packers.

“I had a conversation with all the quarterbacks so they understand the role is split and I’m not going to ever try and diminish what I have to do in that room,” Fichtner said. “They may have to adjust a tad bit more, communicate with others. They had me for every second. Now it’s not every second.”

OR4rO3.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Steelers got some serious playmakers in James Conner and James Washington. Steelers know how to draft WR's. :yes:

CGms1o.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Ramon Foster, 30 days after 'first real injury,' returns to Steelers practice

For a few hours on the evening of July 28, Ramon Foster thought his career might be over. He suffered the first significant lower-body injury of his 10-year NFL career and wondered if he had played his last snap in the league.

An MRI later that night showed a hyperextension and bone bruise, and provided the best news possible: He would miss 4-6 weeks and might be ready to play in the season opener against the Browns in Cleveland.

Monday marked 30 days since the injury, and Foster returned to practice on schedule. And he is confident he will play in 13 days against the Browns.

“This was my first real injury,” the Steelers’ 32-year-old left guard said Monday after practice. “I’ve had thumb surgeries and stuff like that. To have a lower extremity, I thought it was over. I thought it was the worst. No one wants to go their whole football career and end it on an injury or something like that, or have an uphill climb to try to get back.”

Foster said he did individual work and split first-team reps with B.J. Finney, who had been filling in the past few weeks. He was encouraged by how his knee felt immediately after practice and said he’ll know more about his future practice participation by Tuesday.

“It felt good today,” Foster said. “It’s still one of those you just have to evaluate, see how it reacts tomorrow. We’re moving in the right direction.”

The Steelers play their final preseason game Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field. Foster will not play, but he is aiming to be in the starting lineup for the opener.

“We still have time until next week,” Foster said. “There’s no rush. It was the first time being back since the first day in pads. No need to push it and be Superman today.

“It’s one of those things if I was in a pressed situation where I had to play this week I could. But there’s no need right now. There’s still time.”

Coach Mike Tomlin does not believe Foster has much catching up to do.

“He hasn’t been away from us,” Tomlin said. “Ramon is the type of guy who understands the role he has, not only the tangible role in terms of his play but the unofficial role in terms of his leadership. So, although we hadn’t had him out there, he’s been really close to the group. He’s done the job in that regard. It’s good to have him back out there participating.”

Foster isn’t the only starter to miss significant time and aim for a return in Cleveland. Outside linebacker T.J. Watt continues to make progress from a hamstring injury that has kept him out for most of training camp.

“I feel great,” Watt said. “I feel really good now. I’ve dealt with injuries my whole career even going back to Wisconsin. I had the groin [injury] last year so I know what it’s like to sit out. Just knowing how important the mental reps are and everything, it allows me to come back and play fast. I felt great [Monday].”

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Thank God!!!!!

9sB6rw.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Landry Jones leads Steelers' list of final cuts

QBs Josh Dobbs and Mason Rudolph make the 53-man roster

For a team that long embraced having veteran experience behind its franchise quarterback, the Steelers opted for youthful inexperience this time.

They cut Landry Jones, who was entering his sixth season, and kept two quarterbacks who have not taken a snap in a real NFL game, rookie Mason Rudolph and second-year man Joshua Dobbs.

The bold move harkens to a similar one made by another Steelers Super Bowl contender 42 years ago when Chuck Noll decided to go with rookie Mike Kruczek as the lone backup to Terry Bradshaw with the two-time defending Super Bowl champs in 1976.

Rudolph, a third-round draft pick this year, and Dobbs, a fourth-rounder in 2017, each played well in the fourth preseason game Thursday night against Carolina, capping off good summers by both young quarterbacks. Jones did not play.

There was a report the Steelers were offering Dobbs around the league in a trade. As it turns out, they obviously could not get anything for Jones via trade.

Before Jones ascended to the No. 2 role in the 2015 season, the Steelers under coach Mike Tomlin relied on veterans. Indeed, even in 2015, they signed Mike Vick to back up Ben Roethlisberger and he did so until he was injured and Jones took over.

Before that, they had Bruce Gradkowski, Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch, who joined them as a backup in 2003 and played through 2012.

Jones played in two preseason games and played well, completing 10 of 13 passes for 127 yards, one touchdown, an interception and a 100.5 passer rating.

Dobbs had a 111.97 preseason passer rating, completing 29 of 43 for 434 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions. He had another 71 yards rushing on 10 attempts, including a touchdown run Thursday. He is by far the most mobile of the four quarterbacks and seemed much improved with his play since his rookie preseason.

“I think it’s night and day from this season to last season,” Dobbs said Thursday after the game, “just total command and the understanding of the offense and able to make plays on the field.”

The question left hanging at quarterback: Who will be No. 2 and who will be No. 3?

Jones likely won’t stay unemployed long. There are a bunch of NFL teams looking for quality backups and he would fit that bill. The Steelers record with him as a starter was 3-2 after he played only briefly in one game and threw no passes in his first two seasons.

He completed 63.9 percent of his passes over the past three regular seasons with eight touchdowns, seven interceptions and an 86.2 passer rating. His rating was 99.3 last season in three games and one start, the finale against Cleveland.

Cutting Jones was the only big surprise Saturday as the Steelers reduced their roster to 53 players.

Among some notable cuts were cornerback Brian Allen, halfback Fitz Toussaint, linebacker Keion Adams and two receivers waved injured: Marcus Tucker and Damoun Patterson. Receiver Elli Rogers was placed on the reserve/PUP list.

The Steelers also will have to release another player when they add Le’Veon Bell to the roster. They can apply for a two-week roster exemption for him if and when he reports and signs his one-year, $14.55 million franchise tag.

Bell reported on Labor Day a year ago and while the Steelers did get a roster exemption for him then, they removed it and he started in their opener at Cleveland, where they again open the 2018 season Sept. 9.

As of now, they have three halfbacks on the roster — James Conner, veteran Stevan Ridley and rookie Jaylen Samuels, a fifth-round draft pick.

Six of their seven draft picks made the roster: Rudolph, Samuels, Terrell Edmunds, James Washington, Chuks Okorafor and Marcus Allen. Only seventh-rounder Joshua Frazier was cut.

Two other undrafted rookies also made it, linebackers Matthew Thomas and Ola Adeniyi.

Once players clear waivers by noon Sunday, teams can begin signing up to 10 on their practice squad. The Steelers also have an exemption for an 11th practice squad player if they so choose in tight end Christian Scotland-Williamson, a 25-year-old former rugby player.

The Steelers have Sunday off and will resume practice Monday.

The rest of the cuts:

Safety Nat Berhe; punter Matt Wile; halfbacks Jarvion Franklin and James Summers; receivers Trey Griffey, Quadree Henderson and Tevin Jones; tight ends Bucky Hodges, Pharoah McKever and Christian Scotland-Williamson; offensive linemen Larson Graham, Patrick Morris, Oni Omoile, R.J. Prince, Jake Rodgers and Chris Schleuger; cornerbacks Dashaun Phillips, Malik Reaves and Jamar Summers; linebackers Matt Galambos and Farrington Huguerin, and defensive linemen Parker Cothren, Joshua Frazier, Greg Gilmore, Levon Hooks, Casey Sayles and Kendal Vickers.

Others waived injured were offensive lineman Joseph Cheek, safety Malik Golden and linebacker Keith Kelsey.

Thank god we got rid of that piece of shit Jones. Glad we kept Dobbs. Dude can play. :yes: Steelers are alright at QB.

PVwEC7.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert 'disappointed' Le'Veon Bell no shows for practice

Le’Veon Bell began the 2018 season the same way he finished the 2017 season – by skipping practice. And the drama that general manager Kevin Colbert said was overblown last year reappeared Monday for at least one day.

Bell, the All-Pro running back who has not yet signed his $14.5 million franchise tender, did not show up for practice Monday morning when the Steelers began their preparations for the season opener against the Cleveland Browns.

Colbert was bothered enough by Bell’s absence that he issued a two-sentence statement saying he was “disappointed” Bell was not present.

Even though the Steelers expected Bell to report Monday, he was under no obligations to be there for practice. In fact, Bell can show up Saturday, sign his tag and get his $14.5 million fully guaranteed salary, although the Steelers reserve the right to apply for a two-week roster exemption. If they are granted the roster exemption, they determine whether Bell will earn his money for the first two weeks of the season.

Bell has the option to sit out 10 weeks and still receive an accrued season under the conditions of the collective bargaining agreement. For every week he does not report, Bell would forfeit $853,000 in salary.

There was mixed reaction among Bell’s teammates Monday afternoon after practice. Center Maurkice Pouncey, who was elected a team captain, said he had no issue with Bell missing.

“It’s fine,” Pouncey said. “Whenever he gets here we’ll celebrate with him.”

At what point does Bell’s absence become a distraction?

“It doesn’t at all,” he said. “I promise you it doesn’t. The team is so locked in and focused on what we have to do at hand this weekend. Whenever he comes, we’ll welcome him with open arms. Hopefully, he’s in shape and ready to run the football.

“It’s fine. He showed up last year at the same time. It’s totally fine, trust me.”

Guard Ramon Foster, the most tenured linemen on the team, deflected the conversation toward backup running backs James Conner and Stevan Ridley, both of whom reported on time and went through training camp with the team.

If we start off with James, I think we’ll be fine either way,” Foster said. “He’s a guy who has worked his butt off. He’s made strides. He’s made us confident in him. He gets the start, we roll with him. No disrespect to [Bell], but this is a moving train.

“I feel like James has been in a great spot this entire camp. He’s taken all the reps, and we got Ridley who is an experienced, hard, downhill runner. One way or the other we’ll be fine in the run game. I’m focused on those guys over there. With what Conner has done this entire camp, I feel like we can make way with what we have. I’m excited about that young guy, not in the sense of disrespecting anyone else.”

Pouncey said he has texted Bell and said they had a good conversation. Defensive end Cameron Heyward, who also was voted as a team captain, said he has spoken with Bell but would not divulge the details of their communication.

“I’m not going to put words into his mouth,” Heyward said. “He has to handle what he has to handle. He’ll be ready to go when he’s ready to go.”

Heyward would not go as far as Colbert and say he was disappointed Bell was not present Monday.

“That’s Kevin’s job,” Heyward said, smiling. “I’m going to be disappointed, but obviously, I would love to have him here. My focus is on this team and who is here. When Le’Veon gets here, he gets here. But until then, let’s ride.

“It won’t be a distraction. We’re seasoned for that, I think. I just think where we want to get to, the goals we have in mind, that stuff will be under the rug. If he comes on this journey, he comes on this journey. We put him in the backseat, strap him in and be ready to go.”

Last year, Bell also played on the franchise tag. He reported on Labor Day and played in the season opener against the Browns. He played 74 of 80 offensive snaps and finished the game with 32 yards on 10 carries and 10 receptions for 46 yards.

It remains to be seen how the Steelers use Bell this time around if and when he does report this week. One thing that has changed this year is the team’s confidence in Conner.

“I’m very comfortable,” Foster said. “James knows it. One of the things he had to pick up was learning protection. His protection has been A-1 this camp. I’m looking forward to it. He’s in great shape. He understands the offense. He’s still young, but he’s a guy we can count on.”

Fuck it. We rollin with James then. :dunno:

xfWnkL.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Le'Veon Bell misses team meeting; Ben Roethlisberger stresses offense is 'more than one guy'

Reality is starting to sink in for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. With the regular-season opener four days away and no sign of Le’Veon Bell on Wednesday morning, Roethlisberger is proceeding as though second-year running back James Conner will be lining up behind him Sunday afternoon in Cleveland.

“You have to, right?” Roethlisberger said Wednesday morning before practice.

The Steelers had a team meeting at 9 a.m., and Bell was not present. The Steelers expected him to arrive Monday and were angered when he did not.

Roethlisberger was measured in his comments to reporters Wednesday, but he made it clear that expectations for the offense remain the same with or without Bell in the lineup.

“I think we’re a very good offense,” Roethlisberger said. “Football is the ultimate team sport. One person doesn’t make or break you. I’d like to say the linemen are more important than any skill player, including myself, on this team. This offense is more than one guy.”

Roethlisberger knows this better than anyone. While he acknowledged Bell’s status as “one of the best in the business,” he knows the offense has hummed along without Bell in recent years.

In 2015, after Bell was injured in the eighth game of the season, DeAngelo Williams stepped in and produced three 100-yard games over the next seven contests, including a 170-yard performance the next week against the Raiders. The Steelers won all but two of those games and won a playoff game without Bell or Williams, who was injured in the regular-season finale against the Browns.

The next season, Bell served a three-game suspension to start the season and Williams rushed for 143 yards in the season opener against the Redskins. The Steelers won two of their first three games before Bell returned to the lineup in early October.

“We did pretty good then, too,” Roethlisberger said. “James is a year better than he was last year. We’re all kind of excited for what can bring to this offense and this team. We have a lot of weapons. We’d like to have [Bell] out there, but we have guys who can make plays for us.”

Conner had just 32 carries for 144 yards last season, but Steelers players and coaches are much more confident in his ability to be a feature back this year. Conner struggled with injuries as a rookie and in pass protection, but he’s improved in all areas over the summer. That includes his pass-catching ability, an area in which Bell flourishes.

“James has done a great job of it so far,” Roethlisberger said. “He gets to his spot really quick. That’s awesome for a quarterback, a guy who checks his protection and gets to his spot quick because you know he’s there and ready to get the ball. I think he’s worked a lot on his hands. He’s catching the ball really well right now. I’m excited for James probably as much as he’s excited for himself.”

Roethlisberger is entering his 15th NFL season and will open against the Browns for a second year in a row. Roethlisberger is 23-2 against the Browns.

“I ask these young guys if they’re nervous and they tell me no, and I call them a liar,” Roethlisberger said. “I’m 15 years in and still nervous. You should be nervous, too. That’s natural. You should be nervous. You should be excited. This is what we grew up doing. This is what we love. We put so much on the line for Sundays, to be out there for each other. I’m excited.”

Bell might as well stay out for the year. Team is fead up with the fact he put himself first.

MwXXyw.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Le'Veon Bell's teammates are not happy about his absence

Le’Veon Bell again did not report to the Steelers Wednesday, and his teammates were not happy about it.

There were those who supported him in the past who were downright angry.

“What do you do?” wondered veteran guard Ramon Foster. “Here’s a guy who doesn’t give a damn, I guess, so we’ll treat it as such. I just hate it came to this. He’s making seven times what I made, twice as much as Al [Villanueva] is making, and we’re the guys who do it for him.”

Foster is in the final year of his contract (at a salary of $2.675 million), as Bell would be if he signed his $14.55 million franchise tag.

“It’s kind of frustrating. Take some of the money [if] he’s not going to show up here and put it on top of mine. We’ll survive.”

Veteran Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, an offensive captain, also expressed his anger after predicting on Monday that Bell would report by Wednesday.

“I really thought Wednesday, trust me, I really did,’’ Pouncey said. “After a couple of text messages and knowing Le’veon as a competitor who wants to be the best in the league ... but obviously he proved all of us wrong.”

Pouncey and the others said they’ll just move on without Bell.

“We just finally accept things at some point and you’re just like, all right, if you don’t want to be here, it is what it is, hold out for 10 weeks. It’s totally fine with us. As a team, we’re totally fine. It takes 11 guys, not one.”

Foster said Bell may not realize the affect it could have on the Steelers as a team.

“In this day and age with everyone being so selfish, I don’t think it registers. I will say he’s hurt himself, but stuff like that doesn’t register with certain people.

“We’ll get over it. We’re going to roll, you know how it is. We’ll drink the Kool-Aid and roll.”

Foster, the NFL Players Association representative for the Steelers, was asked what happens if Bell stays away for a while. He loses about $856,000 for every week he does not sign his tag and report to the team. The Steelers also have the option of getting a two-week roster exemption for him when and if he does report without paying him for those two weeks.

“This is the ultimate team sport,’’ Foster said. “We get into a roll and we’re rolling with whoever is back there and we come into Week 8 and we’re 8-0 [and Bell reports], do we change up everything for him? Or do we ride it and [let him] find his way in. So there are a lot of questions behind that.”

All-Pro guard David DeCastro says Bell fooled those teammates who believed he’d report by Wednesday and begin preparations for the Steelers’ first game in Cleveland Sunday.

“I think we’re all disappointed. What’s the expression? We’re stuck with our foot in our mouths. We all thought he’d be here.”

If Bell decides to stay away the entire season, his 2018 contract would toll and he would be under the same franchise tag in 2019 unless the Steelers removed it. If he reported before the 11th week of the season, he would lose his salary for those weeks he missed but be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent in 2019.

His teammates sounded betrayed by Bell, whom they generally have been fond of before the stance he took this week.

“With this being the ultimate team sport, it kind of puts us in a bind,” said Foster, who joined Pouncey and Villanueva in texting Bell back and forth last week.

“We asked him when he was coming. We joked around with him. He hit us with an IDEK – ‘I don’t even know.’”

Pouncey told a crowd of media gathered around him after practice that the Steelers are “bigger than one player.”

“Is he a great player? Absolutely. Do we all respect him and think he’s one of the best? Absolutely. But this is a team sport and we all know that.”

It was mentioned that not having Bell would take a large weapon and security blanket away from Ben Roethlisberger. Pouncey was having none of it.

“Ben’s a Hall of Famer. He’s played in his career here with eight different running backs. So I don’t think it affects him that much. When we had DeAngelo [Williams], we had the No. 1 rushing offense in the league.

“Trust me, it’s bigger than one player.”

Pouncey predicted that Bell’s absence would not hurt the team.

“No. This team is totally fine. This team is a veteran team. We have a lot of older guys who have been through a lot of situations. You’ve seen the ups and downs we’ve been through and we’re strong, we’re strong-minded, we’re strong-willed, and we’re just ready to play football.”

9oBaDH.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Antonio Brown has a message for Le'Veon Bell and his teammates

After practice Thursday night, Antonio Brown posted a photo on Twitter of himself and Le’Veon Bell celebrating a touchdown with these words and an emoji of a raised black fist next to Bell’s Twitter handle: “We all we got, we all we need. Ready to roll whenever you get back with us, family.”

Brown’s message came two days after several teammates, including three of his offensive linemen, ripped Bell for not showing up this week as he continues to stay away from the team during his contractual dispute.

So why did he post the photo?

“No one wins when the family feuds,” Brown said Friday afternoon following practice. “At the end of the day, we’re a family. Whether he’s here or not, we want the best for him. That’s what it’s all about. It’s not about pointing fingers and fighting amongst each other. We’re a core group that should love and respect each other regardless of the situation.”

When asked if Bell, who is not under contract until he signs his $14.5 million franchise tender, is still a part of the team, Brown responded: “When he comes, he’ll be a part.”

Ready or not

Brown acknowledged it was a difficult summer for him. He did not play in a preseason game for the first time in his career at least in part because of a lower-body injury that kept him out of practice for a couple of weeks during training camp.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to come out and compete,” Brown said. “Obviously, it’s been a rough preseason for me. I’m excited to go out there and show the world what I’m capable of doing.”

Brown enters the season 90 yards shy of 10,000 for his career entering the opener against the Browns.

“Adversity is a part of this game,” Brown said. “You play this game long enough you’re going to have adversity. Adversity is how you respond to it. I have a great opportunity to respond this weekend.”

Brown dismissed the idea that playing in the preseason might have affected his preparation for the regular season.

xyyFq5.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Gerry Dulac's Week 1 scouting report: Steelers vs. Browns

When the Browns have the ball:

Key performers: QB Tyrod Taylor, RB Carlos Hyde, WR Jarvis Landry, WR Josh Gordon, TE David Ngoku, G Joel Bitonio

Who’s hot (or not): Taylor will begin the season as the starter after completing 20 of 28 passes for 186 yards in the preseason. Under new coordinator Todd Haley, Taylor attempted a lot of high-percentage throws — shorter routes, bubble screens — and did not attack downfield. No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield did most of that in the preseason. But that could change in the regular season.

What’s been working: The Browns feel as though they have a lot more firepower offensively with the addition of Landry and the drafting of Antonio Callaway. Also, Gordon is expected to play after being back from suspension. The Browns signed Hyde in free agency and drafted Nick Chubb on the second round to go with pass-catching RB Duke Johnson.

Game plan: The Browns have positioned themselves to be able to run the ball with Hyde, Chubb and Johnson and throw the ball with Landry, Gordon and Ngoku. Expect Haley to test a run defense that faltered late in the season and a secondary that gave up more pass plays of 40-plus yards than all but two teams in the league in 2017.

Keep an eye on: The Browns tried to upgrade their offensive line with the addition of former Steelers RT Chris Hubbard. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t some uncertainty. G Joel Bitonio, their best lineman, spent most of the preseason at left tackle but could be moved back to his former position. Undrafted rookie Desmond Harrison could start at left tackle.

When the Steelers have the ball:

Key performers: DE Myles Garrett, DT Larry Ogunjobi, DE Emmanuel Ogbah, OLB Jamie Collins, CB Denzel Ward, S Jabrill Peppers.

Who’s hot (or not): The Browns defense under coordinator Gregg Williams will revolve around two playmakers — Garrett and Peppers, a pair of first-round picks in 2017. Garrett has yet to play against Ben Roethlisberger after promising to “chop him down” on draft day. He missed the opener last season and Roethlisberger was held out of the season finale.

What’s been working: Linebacker was the deepest unit on the defense until ILB Mychal Kendricks was charged with insider trading and released. That, though, has allowed the Browns to discover Genard Avery, a fifth-round pick who is built like James Harrison (6-0, 250). He will be used as a designated pass rusher in some situations.

Game plan: There’s little doubt Williams will use pressure to try to disrupt Roethlisberger, who is 21-2 against the Browns. In addition to Garrett, who had seven sacks in 11 games as a rookie, Emmanuel Ogbah and DT Larry Ogunjobi will be counted on to provide the rush. Ogunjobi, a third-round pick last year, has come on. His mentor is Bengals DT Geno Atkins.

Keep an eye on: The secondary has been rebuilt with only two players — Peppers and Briean Boddy-Calhoun — returning from last season. Peppers has been moved to strong safety to play in the box and converted corner Damarious Randall (Packers) was signed to play free safety. The big addition was Ward, who was drafted with the fourth overall pick.

Special teams: After training camp battles at each position, the Browns decided to not change specialists and will return K Zane Gonzalez (15 of 20 FGs), the NCAA’s all-time leader in field goals made, and P Britton Colquitt (45.3-yard ave. on 83 punts). Peppers will handle both punt and kick return duties. His longest punt return was 25 yards, his longest kick return was 35 yards in 2017.

Keys to victory:

To win, the Browns must …

Rile Myles. Roethlisberger is 22-2 with 37 TDs against the Browns and has been sacked just twice in the past four meetings.

Air their Landry. Haley won’t hesitate to attack the Steelers secondary with the former Dolphins receiver.

Flash Gordon. The former Pro Bowl receiver did not play in the preseason, but he and Landry present a troublesome duo.

To win, the Steelers must …

Play Hyde and seek. Their inconsistent and, at times, suspect run defense needs a good start.

Tie up Taylor. The Browns’ new quarterback has rushed for 1,007 yards the past two seasons.

Salt Peppers. He has been moved down low where he can be involved in more defensive plays.

Game will be close till 3rd quarter. That's when the Browns will be the Browns.

FD1Sf3.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Bud Dupree ain't shit. Muthafucka always either gets blow up or overruns the shit outta the play. I hate him. I hate his mother. On the other hand, T.J. Watt is the real deal!!!

uuSx4f.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Ben Roethlisberger's teammates expect him on the field vs. Chiefs

QB practices Friday after skipping two days this week

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice Friday, and his teammates are confident he will play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Roethlisberger did not practice Wednesday or Thursday, but he threw Friday for the first time this week after taking a direct helmet hit on his right (throwing) elbow from Browns defensive end Genard Avery on the second-to-last play of the 21-21 tie against the Browns.

“You guys know Ben is Superman,” offensive lineman Ramon Foster said. “If he can, he’s going to give it a go.”

There is precedent for Roethlisberger starting a game after practicing on a limited basis the week of the game. He did it for the 2015 AFC divisional round playoff game against Denver after he injured his shoulder in a wild-card victory against the Bengals.

“He looked really good,” center Maurkice Pouncey said. “I was just telling the guys no matter if he had practiced or not, you know how tough he is and the things he plays through, he’s motivated to get back out there for sure.”

“He’s a competitor,” added receiver Antonio Brown. “Anytime there’s a chance he’s going to be out there, you know he’s going to be out there. Ben is the best in the world. I don’t know why you guys seem to doubt him. He’s not average. He’s not a regular person. He’s not ordinary. He’s extraordinary. You have to accept the fact that he’s different.

“He’s a difference-maker. I’m just excited to play with him in the midst of our adversity and the midst of our challenge. I think he’ll respond well.”

Roethlisberger, who said Wednesday he was dealing with a bruise, did not speak with reporters following practice.

If Roethlisberger cannot play, second-year player Josh Dobbs would make his first NFL start.

“If Ben feels like he’s OK, then we’re going to roll,” Foster said. “If he’s not, Josh is capable of getting the job done. Coach Randy [Fichtner] is smart enough to put Josh in the right situations.”

Foster said the offensive line has been through multiple backup quarterbacks starting in recent years and said they won’t be fazed if Roethlisberger does have to sit out.

“We’re a group that’s been together for so long,” Foster said. “There have been times we’ve played with Michael Vick. There have been times we’ve played with Landry Jones. Up front, we have to adjust. If Ben’s playing, it’s easier. If Josh is back there, we have to protect him the same.”

x6kqG1.jpg

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice Friday, and his teammates are confident he will play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Roethlisberger did not practice Wednesday or Thursday, but he threw Friday for the first time this week after taking a direct helmet hit on his right (throwing) elbow from Browns defensive end Genard Avery on the second-to-last play of the 21-21 tie against the Browns.

“You guys know Ben is Superman,” offensive lineman Ramon Foster said. “If he can, he’s going to give it a go.”

There is precedent for Roethlisberger starting a game after practicing on a limited basis the week of the game. He did it for the 2015 AFC divisional round playoff game against Denver after he injured his shoulder in a wild-card victory against the Bengals.

“He looked really good,” center Maurkice Pouncey said. “I was just telling the guys no matter if he had practiced or not, you know how tough he is and the things he plays through, he’s motivated to get back out there for sure.”

“He’s a competitor,” added receiver Antonio Brown. “Anytime there’s a chance he’s going to be out there, you know he’s going to be out there. Ben is the best in the world. I don’t know why you guys seem to doubt him. He’s not average. He’s not a regular person. He’s not ordinary. He’s extraordinary. You have to accept the fact that he’s different.

“He’s a difference-maker. I’m just excited to play with him in the midst of our adversity and the midst of our challenge. I think he’ll respond well.”

Roethlisberger, who said Wednesday he was dealing with a bruise, did not speak with reporters following practice.

If Roethlisberger cannot play, second-year player Josh Dobbs would make his first NFL start.

“If Ben feels like he’s OK, then we’re going to roll,” Foster said. “If he’s not, Josh is capable of getting the job done. Coach Randy [Fichtner] is smart enough to put Josh in the right situations.”

Foster said the offensive line has been through multiple backup quarterbacks starting in recent years and said they won’t be fazed if Roethlisberger does have to sit out.

“We’re a group that’s been together for so long,” Foster said. “There have been times we’ve played with Michael Vick. There have been times we’ve played with Landry Jones. Up front, we have to adjust. If Ben’s playing, it’s easier. If Josh is back there, we have to protect him the same.”

x6kqG1.jpg

How many turnovers this weekend?

tumblr_opomtnyNfu1wp3wuto1_500.jpg

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered

x6kqG1.jpg
His heart ain’t in it no more

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
His heart ain’t in it no more
Then he need to get the fuck outta the way and let Dobbs or Rudolph play. Was still only 1 game though and we tend to overreact to what we see in 1 week. He goes for 400 yrds this week against the Chiefs and everyone forgets the Browns game. That's how week to week everyone has become now.

VQgaRL.jpg