The 4 Big Money Certifications No One Is Talking About

Kubrick

Rising Star
OG Investor
It's crazy how correct the OP was way back in 2016.

I recently moved over to a cloud position with my company. Cloud and Cybersecurity are where you want to be for the near future. That is where the money and resources are going in IT.

If going the cloud role get the fundamental AWS (CCP) and Azure (AZ-900) certs, learn GIT, learn Terraform or some other IaC platform (pulumi, Cloud formation, ARM/Bicep) and Python.

With this information and evidence of some hands on work (lab, course work, etc.) will put you above the pack.

Last edited:

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

I recently moved over to a cloud position with my company. Cloud and Cybersecurity are where you want to be for the near future. That is where the money and resources are going in IT.

If going the cloud role get the fundamental AWS (CCP) and Azure (AZ-900) certs, learn GIT, learn Terraform or some other IaaS platform (pulumi, Cloud formation, ARM/Bicep) and Python.

With this information and evidence of some hands on work (lab, course work, etc.) will put you above the pack.
I obtained the AWS CCP some time ago, now working on the AWS Solutions architect exam (the next one. Failed it 2x already), and about to teach myself python. Downloaded the platform to my backup computer to play around with it. My company is telling me they will not hire me in a cloud role due to lack of actual experience, but will work with me to eventually get there. I'm not going to let that stop me. I'll keep learning this stuff, gradually gain some experience, and go someplace else if needed.

We have some cyber personnel where i work at. Always good to see other black people involved in cyber. One of the ladies just put in her 2 wks due to the company's tendency to Micromanage. Apparently she got another job offer and had had enough of their bullshit. I learned they offered her 156k to stay but she turned it down. She holds the CISSP, so was earning more than her coworkers. not sure what her job title was.

Kubrick

Rising Star
OG Investor
I obtained the AWS CCP some time ago, now working on the AWS Solutions architect exam (the next one. Failed it 2x already), and about to teach myself python. Downloaded the platform to my backup computer to play around with it. My company is telling me they will not hire me in a cloud role due to lack of actual experience, but will work with me to eventually get there. I'm not going to let that stop me. I'll keep learning this stuff, gradually gain some experience, and go someplace else if needed.

We have some cyber personnel where i work at. Always good to see other black people involved in cyber. One of the ladies just put in her 2 wks due to the company's tendency to Micromanage. Apparently she got another job offer and had had enough of their bullshit. I learned they offered her 156k to stay but she turned it down. She holds the CISSP, so was earning more than her coworkers. not sure what her job title was.

I will bet anything you will get a raise and/or a cloud position if you clear the AWS SA exam. There are too few Cloud engineers for cloud roles currently. Having a AWS SA proves that you have beyond a solid grasp of AWS. Learning python and an IaC - the standard operating model for Cloud is provision everything programmatically and not rely on "click ops" - will get you in the door anywhere.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, my group is moving some shit to the cloud and we're working with AWS guys.... and I know they gotta be gettin paid. Hard to believe though, given how complex it all is, we're moving shit to the cloud to save money (Cloudera contract costs too much $$$$ for our internal cloud setup).

If going the cloud role get the fundamental AWS (CCP) and Azure (AZ-900) certs, learn GIT, learn Terraform or some other IaC platform (pulumi, Cloud formation, ARM/Bicep) and Python.

Kubrick

Rising Star
OG Investor
Yeah, my group is moving some shit to the cloud and we're working with AWS guys.... and I know they gotta be gettin paid. Hard to believe though, given how complex it all is, we're moving shit to the cloud to save money (Cloudera contract costs too much $$$$ for our internal cloud setup).

Bro, Cloud is the future of IT infrastructure. I saw the 7-10 year plans for my company and traditional infrastructure is considered a relic that they are trying to get away from. What is crazy, is that I read a book damn near 20 years ago ("The Big Switch" by Nicholas Carr) that predicted Compute would be a utility similar to power and the shit is coming true.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man i haven't seen that name in ages. A very good brother I got a chance to meet, and almost work for, young in my career.
I didn’t even know we had a National Cyber Director. His background is very interesting too.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I missed out on a high paying job in my field because of my lack experience with docker and kubernetes. I thought it was short sighted of them since I’m highly experienced in Linux and Python. It wouldn’t have took much to train for it.

It’s all good because the tech company I work for now is moving to that environment in the future. Plus, I’m ok with how my career is developing.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I missed out on a high paying job in my field because of my lack experience with docker and kubernetes. I thought it was short sighted of them since I’m highly experienced in Linux and Python. It wouldn’t have took much to train for it.

It’s all good because the tech company I work for now is moving to that environment in the future. Plus, I’m ok with how my career is developing.

Docker and k8s are more of a vibe vs the norm depending on where you're at (govt vs commercial). It also depend on the development environment of if they're doing modular software development/Agile vs waterfall deliverables. With your programming skills, I'm shocked that you're not working with serverless functions like AWS Lambda or doing machine learning

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered

Man, everyone wants Docker or Kubernetes or something to do with deploying and operations.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Docker and k8s are more of a vibe vs the norm depending on where you're at (govt vs commercial). It also depend on the development environment of if they're doing modular software development/Agile vs waterfall deliverables. With your programming skills, I'm shocked that you're not working with serverless functions like AWS Lambda or doing machine learning

I’m doing machine learning now for my company. Many of the private companies I applied for in the past were using dockers and kubarnetes, but they were a high end tech companies that had big money to afford AWS. My current companies preferred to stay in the HPC environment, which I prefer, but it’s not optimal for those doing intensive software engineering.

The government (NOAA and NASA) is currently trying to migrate over to a cloud environment. I was recently part of a government contract that was to migrate data and perform machine learning techniques on historical weather state. We didn’t win the contract, but I know for sure that the government is still behind big tech companies that’s already in the cloud.

plum_eater

Star
BGOL Investor
I switched to AWS... I am doing the Foundational Certification if anyone wants to jump in. I got a few guys already. We meet on Google once per week.
Skip the Foundational, go straight to AWS CCP. Everything for Foundational cert is covered in AWS CCP in greater detail. Foundational is not regarded as a valuable cert. I used Adrian Cantrill (from cantrill.io) and Stephane Maarek (from Udemy) when I got my AWS CCP.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Skip the Foundational, go straight to AWS CCP. Everything for Foundational cert is covered in AWS CCP in greater detail. Foundational is not regarded as a valuable cert. I used Adrian Cantrill (from cantrill.io) and Stephane Maarek (from Udemy) when I got my AWS CCP.

They may have changed it since you did it, but the CCP is the Foundational cert now. They are one in the same. That's the exam we are preparing for. CLF-C02.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i know NOTHING..... lol.... :smh: Id like to try tho....

I have gotten several guys into full-on careers who had zero technology experience. I myself was selling cars when a customer came in and bought a car from me. He had a lot of money and I asked him how he got it. He eventually agreed to show me. Fast forward a few years later and I am a Systems Engineer and he has opened a tech school. I was his first student.

plum_eater

Star
BGOL Investor
They may have changed it since you did it, but the CCP is the Foundational cert now. They are one in the same. That's the exam we are preparing for. CLF-C02.
I needed coffee yesterday... I should have put:

Skip the Foundational, go straight to AWS Solutions Architect Associate (SAA). Everything for Foundational cert is covered in AWS SAA in greater detail. Foundational is not regarded as a valuable cert. I used Adrian Cantrill (from cantrill.io) and Stephane Maarek (from Udemy) when I got my AWS SAA. Much harder exam but definitely worth it.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I needed coffee yesterday... I should have put:

Skip the Foundational, go straight to AWS Solutions Architect Associate (SAA). Everything for Foundational cert is covered in AWS SAA in greater detail. Foundational is not regarded as a valuable cert. I used Adrian Cantrill (from cantrill.io) and Stephane Maarek (from Udemy) when I got my AWS SAA. Much harder exam but definitely worth it.

I would do that if it was just me, but I got guys who are brand new to all of this. Neal Davis' Udemy course is really good for brand new people.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I will bet anything you will get a raise and/or a cloud position if you clear the AWS SA exam. There are too few Cloud engineers for cloud roles currently. Having a AWS SA proves that you have beyond a solid grasp of AWS. Learning python and an IaC - the standard operating model for Cloud is provision everything programmatically and not rely on "click ops" - will get you in the door anywhere.
appreciate the support. I'm gonna get back on it real soon. Going over job offers is depressing the hell out of me. all of them want all this experience. Seems like anything cloud related is not entry-level. I need to keep learning and put myself out there i suppose.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Got my Azure Fundamentals and the Administrator certs.
Trying out the Resume Challenge to prove to jobs I know the stuff.
Terraform and VS Code to be able to large scale things.

I recommend setting up an online portfolio that can showcase your talent. I build a website where I pipe all my skills and accomplishments to a single space.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

a former co-worker who just retired from the Air Force, told me to learn Kubernetes. I need to get this AWS-SAA exam behind me so i can get on that, along with Python. I cannot learn multiple things at once. can't seem to retain the info. Youtube has some good kubernetes tutorial videos i'd like to get into one day.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
appreciate the support. I'm gonna get back on it real soon. Going over job offers is depressing the hell out of me. all of them want all this experience. Seems like anything cloud related is not entry-level. I need to keep learning and put myself out there i suppose.

It’s not entry level at all, unfortunately. Likely the reason being is that cloud technology is very expensive, so most companies need a quick ROI when they hire someone to work in the cloud.

Keep building your skills. It’s going to take some patience. Network where you can.

The reality here is that none of the IT shit is promised a great career. It’s not alway easy to get into these fields even with certifications.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
It’s not entry level at all, unfortunately. Likely the reason being is that cloud technology is very expensive, so most companies need a quick ROI when they hire someone to work in the cloud.

Keep building your skills. It’s going to take some patience. Network where you can.

The reality here is that none of the IT shit is promised a great career. It’s not alway easy to get into these fields even with certifications.
yeah i'm finding that out.
my current certs have yielded ZERO hits
i like your suggestion above about a portfolio.
As i learn stuff, i need to demonstrate what i can do there
I bet THAT will get me in the door.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
a former co-worker who just retired from the Air Force, told me to learn Kubernetes. I need to get this AWS-SAA exam behind me so i can get on that, along with Python. I cannot learn multiple things at once. can't seem to retain the info. Youtube has some good kubernetes tutorial videos i'd like to get into one day.

You need constant tasks to help you retain the information you’ve learned. I like trainings because they help introduce people to the technology, but it can only reinforce so much.

I have two Linux home server with cloud technology I maintain for myself. This is where I do my training, but it took me several years to build up. But that was kind of the point. I was learning as I was going.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
yeah my current AWS cloud practitioner has been retired as of a few months ago

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
You need constant tasks to help you retain the information you’ve learned. I like trainings because they help introduce people to the technology, but it can only reinforce so much.

I have two Linux home server with cloud technology I maintain for myself. This is where I do my training, but it took me several years to build up. But that was kind of the point. I was learning as I was going.
fascinating. I have been tinkering with the idea of a home lab for that very reason.
Only after work i feel so beat down that i dont invest time into setting one up
I do have one backup mini pc that i run plex and Virtual box on.
Downloaded Python on that a week ago.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
yeah i'm finding that out.
my current certs have yielded ZERO hits
i like your suggestion above about a portfolio.
As i learn stuff, i need to demonstrate what i can do there
I bet THAT will get me in the door.

That’s what got me in the door. You’re basically competing with a lot of people that says they can do a particular thing, but has no proof. When you can actively backup up your skills with what’s on your resume, then that will give you an advantage.

All you’re trying to do is get your foot in the door. Once you’re in, then you expand your skill further by learning what you can.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
fascinating. I have been tinkering with the idea of a home lab for that very reason.
Only after work i feel so beat down that i dont invest time into setting one up
I do have one backup mini pc that i run plex and Virtual box on.
Downloaded Python on that a week ago.

It’s an invaluable skill to have.

You’re basically learning how to do system administration too. You’re knocking multiple birds out with a single stone.

Let me know if you decide to set up your own personal Linux server. I can guide you some depending on the extent you’re trying to go. I have been maintaining my server for over 10 years now. Just built me a new one in December of last year.

i10 (24 processors)
128 gigs of ram
2x2TB M.2 SSDs.